OT: BCU fires Donahue | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: BCU fires Donahue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Donahue was a good coach too. Huge mistake going to BCU.

Reaction Score
I dislike BC as much as the next guy, but I kind of liked Donahue.

BC is a situation with no chance for most to all coaches right now. He was doing great things at Cornell, especially in a time when Penn and Princeton dominated for 20 years. I wouldn't mind having a great X and O play caller in his vain helping Ollie out at UConn. Donahue never had talent and did not win at BC, but he did beat some team from Canada this year...

Reaction Score
Cooley is not leaving PC and probably never will unless he gets fired or retires. He grew up 2 blocks from DD center and lives in his childhood home I believe today. He also lived in Providence when he coached at BC and would commute to BC. PC is his dream job and has always been his dream job. He was born, raised, lives and wants to build PC into his program.

He wants to be the Calhoun of PC basketball. BC does not interest him. Just like Ollie wants to be at UConn for the long haul.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Regarding Amaker, why would he give up a job he probably has in perpetuity?

Making some decent coin, living in Boston, access to all Harvard's resources. That would living the dream to me.

Reaction Score
I thought Donahue was a good coach. I was surprised he went to BC and I really don't get what went on there. Skinner didn't do a bad job but his teams were slowly sinking I thought. And they just kept going down. I never quite got why BC couldn't be at least a sort of mid-level Marylandish-VaTech ish program.

Reaction Score
I dislike BC as much as the next guy, but I kind of liked Donahue.

BC is a situation with no chance for most to all coaches right now. He was doing great things at Cornell, especially in a time when Penn and Princeton dominated for 20 years. I wouldn't mind having a great X and O play caller in his vain helping Ollie out at UConn. Donahue never had talent and did not win at BC, but he did beat some team from Canada this year...

SD was at BC for 4 years. If he "never had talent and did not win at BC", who is at fault for that?

Actually, there is an opportunity here for the right coach.. BC has SEVEN scholarships open up in 2015, so the right coach (who can recruit) can make them relevant again. We shall see.

Reaction Score
BC basically has 2.5 ACC caliber players. I don't know how much of that blame goes to Donahue (maybe it's all of it), but John Wooden couldn't make the tournament with that roster.

Reaction Score
I thought Donahue was a good coach. I never quite got why BC couldn't be at least a sort of mid-level Marylandish-VaTech ish program.

They have pretty much always been better than VT. Even this year, as nightmarish as it was for BC, they finished ahead of VT in the standings, and beat them comfortably both times they played them.

Reaction Score
BC basically has 2.5 ACC caliber players. I don't know how much of that blame goes to Donahue (maybe it's all of it), but John Wooden couldn't make the tournament with that roster.

Well, he recruited that team. It is on him, isn' it? He passed on lot of guys who went to to be solid contributors elsewhere.

The fact that BC was one of the worse defensive teams in all of CBB speaks volumes, IMO.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Making some decent coin, living in Boston, access to all Harvard's resources. That would living the dream to me.
Exactly my point...

Reaction Score
when was BC last actually on the national scene? Not being a dyck, I just can't recall.

Reaction Score
I can't tell you how disappointed this makes me. BC might now make a serious run at being NIT eligible in the 3-5 years.

Husky25

Reaction Score
SD was at BC for 4 years. If he "never had talent and did not win at BC", who is at fault for that?

Actually, there is an opportunity here for the right coach.. BC has SEVEN scholarships open up in 2015, so the right coach (who can recruit) can make them relevant again. We shall see.

Technically BC has 15 open scholarships next year. I don't see where you get 7 though. According to their official website, Rubin is the only senior on the team.

I don't think Donahue got a fair shake. Anyone who coaches at BC does so with 1 hand tied behind his back, given admission standards for basketball (See O'Brien, James). They have Ivy league standards in the ACC. And before you go bringing up Duke, if BC and Duke were going after the same recruit, tell me which one would choice BC? I don't think their coaches are given enough resources to compete.

Husky25

Reaction Score
when was BC last actually on the national scene? Not being a dyck, I just can't recall.
Jared Dudley years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Their first year or two in the ACC they were alright.

Reaction Score
Amaker doesn't make that much at Harvard and BC can pay much more. But, Amaker likes Harvard and he has a life long job if he wants it. Personally, I think Harvard is the better job today, but it doesn't pay that well.
Harvard can pay Amaker anything they want but I doubt they will. There is plenty of money in Cambridge and they have no problems raising money for anything.
Amaker will be in demand if his success continues and as you said he has become a better coach and recruiter from his early days. BCU would not be a good choice unless it was the hockey coaching job.

Reaction Score
Technically BC has 15 open scholarships next year. I don't see where you get 7 though. According to their official website, Rubin is the only senior on the team.

I don't think Donahue got a fair shake. Anyone who coaches at BC does so with 1 hand tied behind his back, given admission standards for basketball (See O'Brien, James). They have Ivy league standards in the ACC. And before you go bringing up Duke, if BC and Duke were going after the same recruit, tell me which one would choice BC? I don't think their coaches are given enough resources to compete.

You don't think he got a fair shake? He was there for 4 years!! BC's recruiting standards?? Really? Funny....those standards never prevented BC from getting the Troy Bells, Craig Smith's, and Jared Dudley's of the world! How come SD couldn't follow suit?

Al Skinner won in both the BE and ACC. SD has not. BC has never been an elite program, but for the most part, they have, in most years, been respectable to good. Until now. Under SD, BC now gets schooled by the likes of Harvard, BU, Umass, the College of Charleston!! and Bryant College (yes, Bryant College!!)

SD, by all accounts is a wonderful guy. As a BC basketball coach however, the results tell the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom