OT: Augusts Tech Tips® | The Boneyard

OT: Augusts Tech Tips®

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Thanks, good advice (I'm a droid user myself!)

August_West

Reaction Score
Anyway to make this the default keyboard?
You need to switch to the Gboard keyboard to use it. You can tap the globe over and over to switch keyboards, but it is easier to tap and hold on the globe. This pops up a small message that allows you to see the keyboards you have installed.

Tap on Gboard to switch to it, and start typing with the Google iPhone keyboard. This will stick as your main keyboard most of the time, but occasionally you will need to switch it back.

Reaction Score
You need to switch to the Gboard keyboard to use it. You can tap the globe over and over to switch keyboards, but it is easier to tap and hold on the globe. This pops up a small message that allows you to see the keyboards you have installed.

Tap on Gboard to switch to it, and start typing with the Google iPhone keyboard. This will stick as your main keyboard most of the time, but occasionally you will need to switch it back.

Yepp that seemed to work. Went through a couple of my text threads and switched the keyboard to GBoard, then when i went to switch the next one it had already defaulted to GBoard.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yepp that seemed to work. Went through a couple of my text threads and switched the keyboard to GBoard, then when i went to switch the next one it had already defaulted to GBoard.

There is one other way. You could remove the English keyboard (which is your default).

August_West

Reaction Score
Now we take a commercial pause to laugh at Android phones. Google develops a game changer. Ports to IPhone first. :)

August_West

Reaction Score
But @August_West gonna be droppin science like Galileo dropped the orange!
rPiqxra.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ditch the English keyboard - makes the whole third-party keyboard thing tidier. Also, go to your general settings and turn off the keyboard sounds. The swiping action of the keyboard makes those sounds pointless and annoying.

The Google search feature is profoundly poorly implemented in some circumstances such as when you're in the browser, but it's interesting especially in iMessage. Don't bother installing it on an iPad. The whole thing is a wreck there.

The other third party keyboard worth looking at is from Microsoft - their Flow keyboard is as good as the Google keyboard and has the added feature of allowing you to change the look of your keyboard.

The prediction engines are both pretty good - I'd say Google's addition of swiping 'contrails' helps accuracy while Microsoft's keyboard is the better design. Both are worth trying.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Now we take a commercial pause to laugh at Android phones. Google develops a game changer. Ports to IPhone first. :)

While you couldn't get me to use an iphone if you tried, Google sharted itself with that one. Dumb.

Although, maybe speaks more to Apple's keyboard lacking vs stock android. Dunno.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
That's truly an LOL. My son works for Google as a product manager in the play store, I'll have to tease him about it!

Of course we've had swype forever and google voice search/dictation.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have an iphone but can't usually remember my itunes password.

Your'e the IT hotshot, should I stop eating sloppy sandwiches over my keyboard at work? Is this a common problem for you?

August_West

Reaction Score
I have an iphone but can't usually remember my itunes password.

Your'e the IT hotshot, should I stop eating sloppy sandwiches over my keyboard at work? Is this a common problem for you?
Replacment keyboards from neglect get charged you your department budget

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
While you couldn't get me to use an iphone if you tried, Google sharted itself with that one. Dumb.

Although, maybe speaks more to Apple's keyboard lacking vs stock android. Dunno.

It's actually not that uncommon for Google's iPhone apps to be better than their Android versions - I think it just depends on which team finishes which app faster.

Two other great apps this week....

Opera VPN which is a free VPN service you can install for iOS. If you ever use public wifi anywhere and you don't have a VPN set up, this is as easy as it gets.

Email. It's an email app called Email. I don't think I'd recommend it for work, but it's brilliant if you have a personal Gmail, Outlook or whatever account. You really need to try it to see what I'm talking about - it handles subscriptions, deliveries, travel, etc. It's about four apps under one banner.

August_West

Reaction Score
That's truly an LOL. My son works for Google as a product manager in the play store, I'll have to tease him about it!

Of course we've had swype forever and google voice search/dictation.
I like this much better than swype

Thats because there is no fragmentation of hardware for IPhones. They are all the same

Ditch the English keyboard - makes the whole third-party keyboard thing tidier. Also, go to your general settings and turn off the keyboard sounds. The swiping action of the keyboard makes those sounds pointless and annoying.

The Google search feature is profoundly poorly implemented in some circumstances such as when you're in the browser, but it's interesting especially in iMessage. Don't bother installing it on an iPad. The whole thing is a wreck there.

The other third party keyboard worth looking at is from Microsoft - their Flow keyboard is as good as the Google keyboard and has the added feature of allowing you to change the look of your keyboard.

The prediction engines are both pretty good - I'd say Google's addition of swiping 'contrails' helps accuracy while Microsoft's keyboard is the better design. Both are worth trying.

................ and we'd like to announce the addition of @Fishy ™ as a contributing staff writer to the "Augusts Tech Tips ©" Blahg Team.

We also anticipate features on Security practices from our own @CTMike ™.

Please remember if it Doesn't come from the "Augusts Tech Tips©" crew it may be less than reliable information.

Reaction Score
Im going to drop pearls of wisdom to make your lives easier from time to time. Will use this thread to do so.

Here's the first.

Do you have an IPhone?

If yes go immediately to the App store and install the brand new "GBoard". Its a game changer.

Thank me later.

info:
Official Google Blog: Meet Gboard: Search, GIFs, emojis & more. Right from your keyboard.
Could have saved 30 seconds of my life if you would have put IPhone in the title. Granted 20 seconds were to reply. All you Apple guys think you rule the world.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thats because there is no fragmentation of hardware for IPhones. They are all the same.

It's also a matter of making sure Google search is in front of as many iOS users as possible.

No need to put the effort in on Android where Google search is persistent and those phones are beaming user data back on a nearly continuous basis.

August_West

Reaction Score
Could have saved 30 seconds of my life if you would have put IPhone in the title. Granted 20 seconds were to reply. All you Apple guys think you rule the world.

Ah, but this is just the start of a series. There will be Android tips. PC tips, Mac tips. Everything under the Tech Umbrella.

I will even show you how to create a Macro that makes every time your wife texts you "No" to something that it automatically changes it to "Yes" .

50283486.jpg

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like this much better than swype

Thats because there is no fragmentation of hardware for IPhones. They are all the same

...... and we'd like to announce the addition of @Fishy ™ as a contributing staff writer to the "Augusts Tech Tips ©" Blahg Team.

We also anticipate features on Security practices from our own @CTMike ™.

Please remember if it Doesn't come from the "Augusts Tech Tips©" crew it may be less than reliable information.

Add @jleves for hardware.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ah, but this is just the start of a series. There will be Android tips. PC tips, Mac tips. Everything under the Tech Umbrella.

I will even show you how to create a Macro that makes every time your wife texts you "No" to something that it automatically changes it to "Yes" .

50283486.jpg

Love me some Macros. Tell me how to automate my boneyard account with replies, postings and such, so I don't have to visit but once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom