OT-Advice on buying a new TV | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT-Advice on buying a new TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Question:

Do I need to have a smart TV if I want to use Apple TV? If not, is there any reason for me to pay up for a smart TV if I plan to use Apple TV in any event? Won't I get all the web-browsing capability from Apple TV, even if I don't have a smart TV?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Question:

Do I need to have a smart TV if I want to use Apple TV? If not, is there any reason for me to pay up for a smart TV if I plan to use Apple TV in any event? Won't I get all the web-browsing capability from Apple TV, even if I don't have a smart TV?

No - just an HD TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No - just an HD TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks.

I'm amazed at how confusing this TV market is, and how hard it is to find something with only the features I need/want, without paying for things I don't want/need.

So, previously I was thinking I had to have a smart TV. In the size range I'm considering (55" and up), it seems that almost all of the smart TV options come with 3D, among other things I don't want, and the price automatically jumps almost $1,000.oo (or more) for the models I'm considering. If Apple TV only costs $100, and it allows any HDTV to become a smart TV, aren't I better off just looking for the best non-3D, non-smart TV and saving the dough? Just want to make sure I'm not missing some other benefit (besides TV-specific apps that come with certain smart TVs).

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I got a Roku XS that will connect netflix, amazon, and hbo go for streaming. I have no idea how it compares to Apple TV...just another option. This one allows for wired internet connection as well as wifi.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Almost always better off getting the TV without bells and whistles, and adding the bells and whistles that you choose. Apple TV, Roku, PS3, XBox360 are all good options depending on your needs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks.

I'm amazed at how confusing this TV market is, and how hard it is to find something with only the features I need/want, without paying for things I don't want/need.

So, previously I was thinking I had to have a smart TV. In the size range I'm considering (55" and up), it seems that almost all of the smart TV options come with 3D, among other things I don't want, and the price automatically jumps almost $1,000.oo (or more) for the models I'm considering. If Apple TV only costs $100, and it allows any HDTV to become a smart TV, aren't I better off just looking for the best non-3D, non-smart TV and saving the dough? Just want to make sure I'm not missing some other benefit (besides TV-specific apps that come with certain smart TVs).

It is baffling.

I have a Samsung SmartTV and an Apple TV. If I use one of them, it's the Apple TV - I just find the Smart TV thing clunky and useless. I have 22,000 things in my house that will go online and tell me the news or weather...I do not need a half-assed app on my tv to do it.

I do have a 3D TV....that is another feature I don't use.

Reaction Score
I found it difficult to compare TVs in a store setting, too many variables though you'd think the opposite. Now that I have lived with my choices for over a year I have a more solid opinion.

I had been a Sony consumer for 40 years and last year I needed to buy two TVs. Research led me to choose between Panasonic and Samung as highest rated, Sony was third.

I was primarily interested in the best available picture quality, which is somewhat subjective, and also important was attractive design, and reliability.

I chose a Samsung 32" LED for bedroom and 50" Samsung Plasma as the main TV for the family room.

I'm happy with both however I MUCH prefer the plasma picture over the LED.

LED has advantages but picture quality isn't one of them. Yes it's sharp, perhaps too sharp, and it has lost the subtle tonal-transition nuances which make for a smooth realistic and stunning picture. For picture quality plasma is king. I don't use the 3-D feature or other PIA features so I realize I over paid for crap I didn't want and probably won't ever use. I just want a killer picture and this Plasma delivers. Had I to do over would have purchased two Samsung plasmas however, at the time, smallest plasma was larger than I thought I needed for the bedroom.

Maybe LED has improved since my purchase. If not, go plasma.

Reaction Score
I have a vizio 42 inch 1080p res in my bedroom. I know that cable boxes run at only 1080i and i noticed that if you watch a football game in hd it looks a little pixely and not crystal clear. im using hdmi and im problably being picky but this drives me nuts because my blu rays looks so crisp and clear as does my playstation. is this just the norm for all tvs or is there a way to make the picture look better?

Reaction Score
I have a vizio 42 inch 1080p res in my bedroom. I know that cable boxes run at only 1080i and i noticed that if you watch a football game in hd it looks a little pixely and not crystal clear. im using hdmi and im problably being picky but this drives me nuts because my blu rays looks so crisp and clear as does my playstation. is this just the norm for all tvs or is there a way to make the picture look better?

I think you'll probably find a much bigger difference in the refresh rate. If your TV has a top rate, you probably won't see the difference between 1080(x) etc.

Reaction Score
Your cable company is compressing the signal. You'd get a better picture watching the game over the air with an antenna.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Your cable company is compressing the signal. You'd get a better picture watching the game over the air with an antenna.

^ this. OTA is much better, but depending on how much they have to compress, it could make a big difference.

And for the record while your TV is listed as 1080p, it will be able to do native 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i out of the box and it will recognize any of those automatically.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure tv isn't broadcast in 1080p. To be honest I think the majority of hd programming is 720p and not even 1080i.

Some day we'll get there!

Btw what tvs are people liking these days? I bought a 55" Samsung about two years ago and I wish I had gotten the comparable model in an LG. I think they look the best.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure tv isn't broadcast in 1080p. To be honest I think the majority of hd programming is 720p and not even 1080i.

Some day we'll get there!

Btw what tvs are people liking these days? I bought a 55" Samsung about two years ago and I wish I had gotten the comparable model in an LG. I think they look the best.

I'm pretty sure there is no broadcast TV @1080p other than video on demand from some providers. 1080i and 780p are about equivalent in quality. 1080i sends half of the 1920x1080 pixels, then the other half of the 1920 x 1080 pixels 60 times a second so you end up with 30 total frames every second. 780p sends all of the 1280 x 780 pixels at once 60 times a second so you get 60 lower density frames per second. It ends up being about the same but 720p is better for sports because there's less flicker and 1080i is better for movies or slow stuff because it looks richer.

BluRay and some VOD are 1080p which is a full 60 1920x1080 frames sent every second (obviously a lot more bandwidth is needed) and is obviously and by far better than the first two and why BluRay movies look so good.

But we'll soon get to 4k or UltraHD (UHD) which will be 60 3840x2160 (aka 2160p) sent every second. You will need a big TV to see the difference and seeing how broadcast hasn't gotten to 1080p, you won't see this kind of programming anytime soon. You will need a new UHD monitor and a BluRay source to take advantage of it and if you're more than 10 feet away, your eye can't discern the difference until you get to an 80" or larger display.

edit - A little math:
720p =1280*720*60 or 55,296k pixels per second sent and displayed
1080i = 1920*1080*30 or 62,208k pixels per second sent and displayed
1080p = 1920*1080*60 or 124,416k pixels per second sent and displayed (now you can know why it looks better)
UHD/4k/2160p = 3840*2160*60 or 497,664k pixels per second sent and displayed (that's half a billion dots per second!!!)

Hence 720p and 1080i are really close, 1080p is twice as good and UHD is 4x better than 1080p.

Reaction Score
Moot Q. Saw the UHDTV (8MPxl) at CES in Jan, and again at CES in NYC in June. Spectacular! But pricy - then again they were showing 100' to make the poin. But wait, saw a 55" UHD at BJs over the weekend for $3500. Prices are coming down. The downside is that the only programing that will employ the extra resolution is UHD Blue-ray movies. I imagine that fast paced hoops will play well nevertheless!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure there is no broadcast TV @1080p other than video on demand from some providers. 1080i and 780p are about equivalent in quality. 1080i sends half of the 1920x1080 pixels, then the other half of the 1920 x 1080 pixels 60 times a second so you end up with 30 total frames every second. 780p sends all of the 1280 x 780 pixels at once 60 times a second so you get 60 lower density frames per second. It ends up being about the same but 720p is better for sports because there's less flicker and 1080i is better for movies or slow stuff because it looks richer.

BluRay and some VOD are 1080p which is a full 60 1920x1080 frames sent every second (obviously a lot more bandwidth is needed) and is obviously and by far better than the first two and why BluRay movies look so good.

But we'll soon get to 4k or UltraHD (UHD) which will be 60 3840x2160 (aka 2160p) sent every second. You will need a big TV to see the difference and seeing how broadcast hasn't gotten to 1080p, you won't see this kind of programming anytime soon. You will need a new UHD monitor and a BluRay source to take advantage of it and if you're more than 10 feet away, your eye can't discern the difference until you get to an 80" or larger display.

edit - A little math:
720p =1280*720*60 or 55,296k pixels per second sent and displayed
1080i = 1920*1080*30 or 62,208k pixels per second sent and displayed
1080p = 1920*1080*60 or 124,416k pixels per second sent and displayed (now you can know why it looks better)
UHD/4k/2160p = 3840*2160*60 or 497,664k pixels per second sent and displayed (that's half a billion dots per second!!!)

Hence 720p and 1080i are really close, 1080p is twice as good and UHD is 4x better than 1080p.
Good read, but a little misleading about UHD (4k). Your eyes probably won't see a clear 4x difference from everything I've read and heard about it. Save your money for now.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Good read, but a little misleading about UHD (4k). Your eyes probably won't see a clear 4x difference from everything I've read and heard about it. Save your money for now.

I think I actually said that...

You will need a big TV to see the difference and seeing how broadcast hasn't gotten to 1080p, you won't see this kind of programming anytime soon. You will need a new UHD monitor and a BluRay source to take advantage of it and if you're more than 10 feet away, your eye can't discern the difference until you get to an 80" or larger display.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
You might want to try setting your cable box to output the programming at it's native resolution. What might be happening is your cable box is changing the resolution from 720p to 1080i and it might not do as good of a job as your TV (or AV Receiver) would.

Reaction Score
Make that 60"

Just got a Vizio 60" LED about a month ago. So far so good.

Good product for a good price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/m-serie...=9364087&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

What? You don' like my 60" LG, lol. Bigger is better go for 80".

Do NOT get Plasma. I have two Samsung LED TVs in my apartment and they're legit. Highly recommend.

I also endorse Samsung. You really can't go wrong between them Sony and LG though.

I bought a 55" Samsung LED 3D tv last year. I almo9st never use the 3D but this model had a 240hz refresh rate which supposedly is better for following action like sports. I have been very happy with how crisp and sharp the picture is. They also had a 60" model but we thought the 55" was good for our room. I love this TV.

Samsung LG, don't think you can wrong with either. I bought a 60" LG 3d TV 6 months ago and I have not regretted it one bit. Beautiful picture. I will say if you go the LED route, try and spring for a 240hz model.

FYI, the Vizio I linked to above has a 240hz rate. $300 cheaper than the LG equivalent and $500 cheaper than the Samsung equivalent. The only one of the 3 under $1500, which is what the OP was asking for.

Panasonic 60" plasma. There's a reason why it's consistently rated tops amongst hdtvs.

Consign on tc mike. Af34 doesn't know what he talking about. Plasma better but will have more glare if you have many windows

Do NOT get Plasma. I have two Samsung LED TVs in my apartment and they're legit. Highly recommend.
What's your beef with plasmas?

LED is old, WAY overhyped technology - and thus overpriced. Get a plasma while you still can.

Panasonic concedes plasma TV defeat, ends production

Plasmas have the best refresh rates and are way less expensive. Go Panasonic plasma. You won't regret it. And I'm a Samsung guy.

Have a plasma, like it, don't love it.... Watch out for plasma's bc they do burn in, I already have a couple spots (not really noticable, but ofcurse i do everytime, lol)

For the best picture, IMO,have come from Sony Bravia's (the higher end the unit, the better the pic tho) Samsungs too...

But when it comes to sports.... Look out for how much Hz a tv has, for sports get a 120 Hz tv, faster refresh rate, there's higher Hz models than 120 but they won't make much of a difference, if any, with current technology

Have a plasma, like it, don't love it.... Watch out for plasma's bc they do burn in, I already have a couple spots (not really noticable, but ofcurse i do everytime, lol)

For the best picture, IMO,have come from Sony Bravia's (the higher end the unit, the better the pic tho) Samsungs too...

But when it comes to sports.... Look out for how much Hz a tv has, for sports get a 120 Hz tv, faster refresh rate, there's higher Hz models than 120 but they won't make much of a difference, if any, with current technology
Is your plasma older, I've heard that they don't do that anymore.

just go to cnet reviews ---> best tvs

I bought one of the first 60" om the market back at 1800$ a few years ago..plasma lg...still running strong...check reviews on speaker strength..that was one downside of mine but i have surround hooked up to it anyway..id suggest going with 120-150" aka a projector..u cant beat watching super bowl or uconn games or gaming on 150"

Is your plasma older, I've heard that they don't do that anymore.
Correct. So long as you aren't buying a 10 year old plasma, or one from an airport that's been displaying the same picture non stop for 5 years... you are good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna knock anyone who loves their LED or LCD. I've seen some gorgeous ones (including a very expensive 4k Samsung recently... but I digress). I just think that picture quality per dollar, Panasonic plasmas are very tough to beat. Of the dozen or so I've recommended to friends and family through the years, none have had problems and no one has been disappointed. (but then again, there's a number of TVs that would fit that criteria)

Don't sweat it too much. HDTVs are so much nicer than what we used to have. :)

I bought a plasma 4 years ago and with the very very high amount of ESPN I watched, you can tell I watched a lot of ESPN when I watched anything else. It is also heavy as hell. I cam currently in between tv's, but when I have to buy one again in the future, I will not get a plasma. Yeah the picture is a bit better, but the difference is so small that it takes someone a lot better than me to tell the difference or really have it matter.

Go to Costco, look at the ones they have and the price, and buy one that looks good and is within your budget. if you do not like it, return it within 90 days and try again with your new knowledge.

Go with the fastest refresh rate you can find (24o Hz?). If you can do - get the UHD TV (in another thread)

LG LED smart tv...love it...

Thanks all.

Do NOT go LED for sports, I have a 55" Samsung LED and the picture is incredible but watching football and baseball is rough because of what's called ghosting. Basketball looks great but if you're watching football, on a deep pass it will look like there's in the air.

Do NOT go LED for sports, I have a 55" Samsung LED and the picture is incredible but watching football and baseball is rough because of what's called ghosting. Basketball looks great but if you're watching football, on a deep pass it will look like there's in the air.
Refresh rate isn't quick enough.

Opinions are like . . . . and I would give the exact opposite advice.

I have 2 Samsung plasmas in my place. Both great machines, but the 58" is a thing of beauty in a dark room.

I don't buy anything until I go to the following sites for research:

Wirecutter Reviews | A New York Times Company

Sweethome Reviews | A New York Times Company

I don't buy anything until I go to the following sites for research:

Wirecutter Reviews | A New York Times Company

Sweethome Reviews | A New York Times Company

Amen.

That's basically the first place, and sometimes the only place, I check for such things.

A 70 inch TV.

Opinions are like . . . . and I would give the exact opposite advice.

I have 2 Samsung plasmas in my place. Both great machines, but the 58" is a thing of beauty in a dark room.

There it is right there. If you have a dark room you can't beat the price and quality of a plasma. If you have a room with windows and even if it only gets moderate light then I would go with an LED that has 240hz for sport watching. The Vizio described above sounds like a damn good deal to me.

Refresh rate isn't quick enough.

Is that a problem with the tv, cable or something simple like the hdmi cable? Appreciate the help in advance

I needed 2-sets, family and bedroom, two years ago. My room sizes were modest therefore screen size was a little smaller.

After I fried the remains of my grey matter, researching to narrow the field, until my head hurt, it came down to what looked best to my eye between Samy and Panasonic.

I thought the picture quality between Samy & Panasonic was close and I gave Samy the slight edge. Styling was all Samy.

I went with top end Samy Plasma 50" for the family room/32" LED for the bedroom.
My Plasma is a 3-D unit but I never used it in that mode.

LED is very sharp, too sharp IMO and something about the gamut or DR that make thing look flatter w/o depth, fake, compared with the smooth realistic transitions of plasma. I much prefer the look of the plasma picture.

After 2-years I'm happy with my purchases

Is that a problem with the tv, cable or something simple like the hdmi cable? Appreciate the help in advance
I cannot say for sure, because I dont know specifically what TV you have. However, TVs with a lesser refresh rate typically have the condition you are describing. The TV is unable to keep up with the quickness in which the image needs to be displayed. Hence the reason you see a streak when the QB throws the football. These specifications are measured as the Hz of the TV. Early LCD TVs were 60hz. They then went to 120hz and now they are at 240hz. My Panasonic TV for example is 600hz, but that is because it is Plasma. I dont have any issue with high speed imaging, however I will get burn in when an image stays on the screen for an extended period of time. However, over time it goes away. I have finally conditioned the fiancée to turn the TV off when she is listening to music on the Music Choice stations. My stereo reciever is a Yamaha RX-V 867 and accepts multiple HDMI inputs before going to the TV.

In case anyone was curious : LED sets are LCDs. LED is just referring to the light source behind the LCD. Traditional LCDs use fluorescent tubes as the light source.

Benefit of LED over traditional LCD is the ability to better control brightness/dimming in specific areas of the screen.

I cannot say for sure, because I dont know specifically what TV you have. However, TVs with a lesser refresh rate typically have the condition you are describing. The TV is unable to keep up with the quickness in which the image needs to be displayed. Hence the reason you see a streak when the QB throws the football. These specifications are measured as the Hz of the TV. Early LCD TVs were 60hz. They then went to 120hz and now they are at 240hz. My Panasonic TV for example is 600hz, but that is because it is Plasma. I dont have any issue with high speed imaging, however I will get burn in when an image stays on the screen for an extended period of time. However, over time it goes away. I have finally conditioned the fiancée to turn the TV off when she is listening to music on the Music Choice stations. My stereo reciever is a Yamaha RX-V 867 and accepts multiple HDMI inputs before going to the TV.
Looks to be an HDMI switching issue with the receiver. Yahama has acknowledged as such with some of the previous models as well.

Looks to be an HDMI switching issue with the receiver. Yahama has acknowledged as such with some of the previous models as well.
What the ef are you talking about? I dint have any issues. I was just explaining to the op what I had for equipment.

What the ef are you talking about? I dint have any issues. I was just explaining to the op what I had for equipment.
Woops my bad. Misread that !

Woops my bad. Misread that !
It's all good!

I purchased a 55 inch Samsung led smart TV earlier this year...skipped the 3d because I figured I'd never use it. I use the smart dungeons much more than I thought I would.

The TV quality had been wonderful and I have had no issues. Strongly recommend getting at least a sound bar for audio though.

My recommendation is this, as it is the TV that I researched and eventually purchased.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F7100AFXZA

LED/LCD, Smart TV, and 3D. I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am able to stream WatchESPN directly from my phone to the TV with no issues. No cables to be involved with. A seemless transfer.

I'm thinking about getting a new TV and it's been a while. Anyone familiar with the technology? LED, Plasma, Smart TV, 3D????? What's good? I'm thinking in the range of 55-60 inches and a budget of 2K. Any advice on what to get? Thanks.

Just bought a TV myself after extensive research. What you get depends on your needs:

What room is it in?
-LED for light rooms, Plasma for darker (glare is drawback)
What do you use the TV for?
-Plasma is better at fast-motion like sports/gaming
-LED better for everyday viewing/movies
What devices do you have?
-If you have a device like Apple TV, Roku, Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, or advanced Blu-Ray player then you probably don't need a smart TV since those devices have the smart apps built in.
-Make sure you get a TV with enough HDMI ports for your devices.

I find that 3D TV is somewhat of a waste. My roommate has one. The 3D technology hasn't caught on and ESPN cancelled their 3D channel.

Best thing you can do is go on Amazon/Best Buy and pick your TV specifications/price range and check average rating and read user reviews.

TV Reviews
Link above will also be helpful. Read the buying guide.

I prefer plasma but if your room has glare probably not the best bet. Good luck!

My recommendation is this, as it is the TV that I researched and eventually purchased.

LED/LCD, Smart TV, and 3D. I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 and am able to stream WatchESPN directly from my phone to the TV with no issues. No cables to be involved with. A seemless transfer.

Exactly the TV I've been eyeing as a replacement for my entry level LG Plasma. That up to F7500 and prices really vary on the net. Would look for a match or ballpark with a local reputable retailer. Then go to AVS Forum and search out a calibration to use as a baseline for your tweaking.

Happy hunting.

You won't need to spend anywhere near the 2k budget.

Go with Samsung or LG (I bought a Samsung, but I wish I got an LG).

I don't think the 3D is worth it and in hearing some places are beginning to phase it out even.

I'd also go with a sound bar.

One last thing, ALWAYS go bigger if it's a debate with sizes. I went 55" and I'm pretty happy with that, but I could always go bigger - you won't regret it!

I posted the same question here and did more research than I ever have for any product I've ever bought because it is so damned confusing. This is exactly where I ended up. It is a great TV. The Smart feature ends up being redundant of the internet connectivity that the AVR, Apple TV, BluRay player and Wii all provide so I never use it through the TV itself; and the 3D is a rarely-used novelty, but it is more impressive than I thought it would be. In any event, I think it's a great TV and have no complaints. Can't speak to the sound though because I run it through my AVR to a 5.1 surround system (which sounds awesome).

One last thing, ALWAYS go bigger ...

the-office-meme-thats-what-she-said-michael-scott.gif

Agreed that the 3-d is overrated and soon to be obsolete.....BUT......before I bought my Samsung 60" LED (great TV) I had 2 tech guys tell me that the 3d TV components are more robust. Was I sold a bill of goods....probably, but I still love the TV.

In any case, 2G will get you a big, high quality TV.

Measure the expected viewing distance
1080p
120hz min.
No to 3d and 4k (waste of $ until the broadcasters catch up)
High contrast as you can get.
Upsize by one level based on the recommended viewing distance.
Smart TV only if you have really fast data connection (if you are rocking 811b wifi, don't bother)

OT Best 60' tv for sports

Personally, I like the 3D. I heard sports was terrible in 3D (hence the demise of ESPN3D), but I recently watched Star Trek Into Darkness in 3D on my TV and it was awesome.

As a former strategy head for a global, I can tell you that TV is pretty much a commodity at this point, and the only diferentiators are the components. Plasma is heavy, power hungry, tends to 'burn' the screen, and has shorter life than LCD.

FPD screens are mostly all the same (some don't use Corning Gorilla Glass). Samsung is the #1 producer (Japan and Chinese not far behind) of LCD screens. TVs with Gorilla Glass have a minimal frame, so are thin and light (easy to hang). LED backlights provide superior illumination over the older flourescent tubes behind the pixel layer. Check the warranty. If an electronic device dies, it will probably (4 sigma) be within 72 hours, but good to know what you must do in case it ever does fail. Most screens have a 4 year half life.

Screen aside, the REAL determinant is the video processor. Try to id the one in your set, and evaluate (come back here with info). Get max refresh rate possible - at least 120 Hz (absolutely necessary for hoops clarity).

Forget 3D (unless it really grabs you). It will pass in the mainstream. And those glasses are a pain. There are technologies in the lab that will preclude the glasses.

You might look at the new (this year), UHDTVs which have 4x (2x each direction) the pixel count of previous LCDs. However, there is no over-air / CATV / DVD programing for them (yet), but the picture as-is is GREAT. They are pricey (I've seen $3500 for 55" at a Walmart-like place). You wouldn't want this for a smaller screen as the effect of increased pixel count becomes negligible with decreasing screen size.

Of course, state-of-the art is OLED (Organic LED). OLED requires NO (LED or flourescent tube) backlight as the organic phosphorescent pixels provide their own luminescence. So it's very bright, with an extremely dark background, and power efficient. 1 million / 1 contrast ratio which is HUGE. And THIN - paper thickness. And since there is minimal infrastructure under the glass (or plastic), 180 degree viewing angle! While Samsung and LG (and some Chinese) have converted a few LCD fabs to OLED production, they are probably hard to find. But definitely the TV of the (not too distant) future. Check it out if you can.

To make it simple just look for a samsung or Lg atleast 55inch+ 120hz 1080P. thats all you need to know.

Any advice on what to get?
Definitely get one of them flat screens.

I'm thinking about getting a new TV and it's been a while. Anyone familiar with the technology? LED, Plasma, Smart TV, 3D????? What's good? I'm thinking in the range of 55-60 inches and a budget of 2K. Any advice on what to get? Thanks.

Anything Samsung(they make outstanding washing machines and dryers fyi).

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT LOUISVILLE!!!
husky_qa.jpg-300x200.jpeg

A few years ago I went to a Best Buy to look at TVs, with a thought that LG looked like the best deal at the time. I looked at the screens without looking at the brands and picked the best pictures and they were all Samsung at that time. I have been extremely happy with the Samsung TV...it looks great. I would suggest that you do the same to see what looks the best to you.

2k will get you a serious tv. I was more on a budget and went with a Sharp 60" and like it very much. But Samsung is better. Dump the 3d and consider a 240Hz refresh ratio. Get into the "Magnolia" room in your local Best Buy, its where the good stuff is.

Figured it's time to chime in on this one.

First of all, the trade offs of LED (which is just LCD with LED back lighting instead of fluorescent) vs Plasma. Plasma has better true black when watching a dark scene - however, a quality LED with localized back lighting now gets really close (if you want to spend a ton extra on the Elite series, it's at least as good, but you're talking 6k for a 60"). Plasma definitely has glare issues in a room with lots of windows or lights on. Plasma uses a lot more energy and they are heavier. If you have a dark room, don't care about the extra energy/heat and the difference in weight isn't an issue, you really can't get a better picture for the money. However, that's a lot of trade offs that you have to be ready to live with. Plasma's haven't had the burn in problem mentioned above for about a decade under normal viewing situations (ie, not leaving QVC or CNN on 24x7 for a couple of years with standard banners that never go away).

60Hz, vs 120 or 240. For me, this is really a non issue. All broadcast stuff is at 60Hz, so the 'faster' monitors just guess at what to fill in for the other or three frames. It can make sports look more fluid, or it can make it look almost cartoon like. I have a 240Hz TV and I've turned that feature off - I hate it. Some people love it. Your results may vary.

3D and Smart TV apps - well, in the price you are looking at, you're talking about getting a top end unit with the best innerds available. Those will almost always have 3d and smart apps. It would be like trying to buy a BMW without air conditioning because you live in Alaska. The top end stuff comes with all the bells and whistles. You can't get the best display and have the option to have them removed (or buy one model down without them - the display won't be as good). In the end, you are buying the best display you can get and you'll just have to live with features you may or may not use. Likewise, the top end stuff will be 120 or more likely 240Hz mentioned above. You get to decide to use that feature or not.

The one piece of advice I can give that I think makes the most sense, but it at Costco - they double the manufacturers warranty for no extra cost. They also give you 90 days to bring it back for any reason. I'm not sure if Sams does that too. But an extra year of warranty and the piece of mind that if something better gets released in your price range in 90 days and you can swap for nothing extra is huge in my book.

Oh the other piece of advice from other posters - get as big a set as you can afford. It's never too big. I have a ridiculously large TV and I've never once regretted going for the bigger size.

There's little reason to look at 4k at this point. Cable and Sat don't even broadcast most stuff in 1080p yet (some on demand is). It will be a decade before 4k broadcast is common and you'll probably upgrade your new set by then.

Hope that helps.

How about this for $1k? It's not a smart TV but you can go out and buy Chromecast for $35 ...

Samsung 65"

If you want any fast moving object to have a tail, do what jleves recommends and disregard the Hz specification.

My in laws have a Vizio 60hz TV. The thing is unwatchable when it comes to sports or almost anything with fast moving objects. Horrible!

How about this for $1k? It's not a smart TV but you can go out and buy Chromecast for $35 ...

Samsung 65"

That looks like a great deal.

Ebay . Less than 1k

Regardless of TV, the important thing is to have the antenna on the roof lean towards the major metropolitan market where you are trying to get your channels. Nowadays, you can manipulate the antenna remotely from your living room, so the days of going on the roof are over!

If you want any fast moving object to have a tail, do what jleves recommends and disregard the Hz specification.

My in laws have a Vizio 60hz TV. The thing is unwatchable when it comes to sports or almost anything with fast moving objects. Horrible!
It's more likely due to compression that is being used by their provider. I have some issues with DirecTV but I understand other providers need to do even more compression to get everything down the pipe and that can cause a huge stuttering issue on sports.

jleves said:
It's more likely due to compression that is being used by their provider. I have some issues with DirecTV but I understand other providers need to do even more compression to get everything down the pipe and that can cause a huge stuttering issue on sports.

So what is your reasoning that the issue does not appear on my father's TV that is 240hz, with the same provider?

I would stay away from 4K and 3D. 3D seems like a gimmick that is destined to die soon and there is almost no input that you're going to find right now that can really use 4K (HDTV broadcasts are almost all in 720P). It's just too far ahead of the sources at this point and by the time the media catches up, you'll probably be in the market for a new TV. The one thing I will say is that you need to get at least 120hz. That is generally what separates the cheap from the slightly more expensive TVs. I have friends with huge 1080P 60 Hz TVs and they're unwatchable for me after having 120 and 240Hz TVs.

As far as smart TV, it's really nice, especially if you use Netflix or a comparable video streaming site. I opted to go a little cheaper and instead got a Blu-Ray player with the smart features, which ended up being cheaper overall for me.

Although this thread is about the TV, sound is almost as important. Go with a quality 5:1 receiver and quality speakers. I bought a reasonably priced Denon that allows you to automatically balance the speakers for the room they're in. I bought a nice Yamaha subwoofer a number of years ago that at the time delivered the best specs for the price, and just recently purchased two new fronts and a center speaker, Connoisseur by Energy that put out sound equal or close to as good as speakers that cost twice to three times as much. You can get them at Best Buy and compare them at the stores that have the Mongolia sound rooms.

Since they did not have the ones I wanted in stock, I got them to knock a $100 off the fronts as well as the center. I went with the CR10 for the fronts and CC10 for the middle. For those with a bigger budget you can go with CR20s for the fronts or go with their towers which they have 3 different levels.

I plan to eventually either replace my surround pair with CR5s or get bigger fronts and move my 10s to the back.

I did some research on this, not extensive, but the reviews on the Energy speakers were almost always a 5 out of 5, with supporting comments from consumers who seemed to know what they were talking about.

To make it simple just look for a samsung or Lg atleast 55inch+ 120hz 1080P. thats all you need to know.
Just picked up a 55", 120hz, 1080P Sanyo at Walmart for $448. Man prices have dropped. I paid almost $1,200 for a 70" smart tv. That's a big price difference for 15" especially since I don't use the smart features.

Just visit slickdeals.net for a while and you'll find a great deal. Read the reviews and make your decision. It will be much cheaper than finding the perfect TV.

Looking for a new one, $500 range, if it's really worth it, I'd consider regardless. I know this thread has existed before but these can get outdated fast.
Budget is one consideration, but other things need to be known. How big do you want it? What features do you want/need? 3D? (probably not worth it), 4K? (probably not at this budget), Apps? Main TV? In a bright room? Like Sports? Movies? Network TV? Tell us the problem you're trying to solve with a new TV.

Its the main TV and I don't care about apps. It will mainly be used for watching sports and Netflix. No 3d. I had a Samsung 50'' which was stolen and I have nothing to watch other than my computer right now.

I've had great luck with Vizio LED tv's in that price range. They're one of the best brands for the price/size from what I know.

My main TV is a vizio 46 or 47 inch, 1080p, 120hz refresh rate. I think it was in the $600 range and not a smart tv (I watch netflix, etc. through a roku). Going on a year and a half now, I have no complaints at all.

Edit: after reading Fishy's post I realized my vizio has a netflix and amazon button on the remote as well. I just always use my roku.

We have a relatively new Samsung and a very new Vizio.

I like them both.

The more expensive set was the Samsung - I do like it, but it's a 3D set (no need for it) and a smart TV (clunky implementation).

The Vizio was much cheaper and is technically a smart TV as well...there's a button on the remote for Netflix and there's a button for Amazon Prime. Perfect.

Totally agree with the budget being $500 - go with a Vizio. Get one from Costco as they will extend the warranty and if something better comes out in 90 days, you can exchange no questions asked. They currently have a 50" that is out of stock but you could probably find one in the store and if not, a better one will be in stock shortly.
Costco Vizio Link
Really happy with every Vizio I've owned and like them better than some very expensive alternatives I've owned. Can't go wrong here.

You can get a 50" SONY @ Walmart for $550.oo. Its a very good deal.

I've had great luck with Vizio LED tv's in that price range. They're one of the best brands for the price/size from what I know.

My main TV is a vizio 46 or 47 inch, 1080p, 120hz refresh rate. I think it was in the $600 range and not a smart tv (I watch netflix, etc. through a roku). Going on a year and a half now, I have no complaints at all.

Edit: after reading Fishy's post I realized my vizio has a netflix and amazon button on the remote as well. I just always use my roku.

This right here. You can get a vizio smart tv for a good price. I bought my gf a 42inch 1080p 120hz for about $430. Go with a vizio with those specs and your good. VIZIO SMART TV 1080P 120HZ. All you need. Forget 3D its pointless.

You've got two choices, IMO. Buy a new 4K, 42-49-inch TV with a brand name you've never heard of, or a 1080p brand name TV. I recently had to make the same decision and opted for the 4K because it futureproofs me to some extent. Also, when it comes to solid-state electronics, if they work the first time you plug them in, chances are they will wrok for a very long time.

I started one of these threads a few years ago and ended up with a 55" Samsung, which I love.

We also have a smaller Sony and an even smaller Vizio. So far so good with all of them.

Being the biggest and newest of the three, I like the Samsung best. Of course, that's also the one in "my" room. I agree with Fishy that the 3D is unnecessary and the smart TV feature is clunky, but I am a huge fan of the Apple TV I purchased for it, primarily for the iTunes interface (it all runs through my AVR and 5.1 sound system) and youtube app.

Get the biggest one you can afford. I ended up getting a crazy deal on a then high-end Samsung from what turned out to be a fly-by-night website and I'm sure it dropped off the back of a truck somewhere. There was a problem with the remote sensor immediately and Samsung wouldn't cover it because it claimed the set was reconditioned, when the vendor had promised me that it was brand new and was simply an open box return. I threatened to get the authorities involved and the Samsung repair guy showed up at my house the next day, saying he had been paid in advance by the vendor. Haven't had a problem since, but I have to admit that every time there is a delay of more than second or two before the screen illuminates I fear that it has crapped out.

I'm with Fishy & 8893....Love our Vizio.

Bought a vizio 42" smart tv 2 yrs ago when my old LCD died. Cost just over $500 at the time. 120 MHz, LED. Absolutely love it.

Looking to move that to the bedroom and will get another larger Vizio for the Den later this year.

Just checked Amazon and the same price range you can get a 50" Vizio now.

Did some research on 4k TV's and not worth it at this time. You need a 4k source (fiber speed internet and Netflix Ultra service) to see the difference.

Go with a nice Vizio 1080p now at the size & price best for you and when 4k service becomes available in 5-6 years spend another 500 to get an even better TV if it makes a difference to you.

It ultimately came down to Samsung vs. Vizio for me for our most recent TV. I liked the Samsung better from the start but the question was whether it was worth that much more money.

Because it is in the center of a nice room, the appearance meant a lot to me, and one thing I have to admit made a bigger difference than I expected was the clean lines of the Samsung infinite edge or whatever they called it. I don't know what the options are now, but at the time the comparable Vizio looked like it was in a picture frame by comparison to the edgeless Samsung, which kind of just fl0ats on the wall.

No matter which you prefer, I found it most helpful to go to Best Buy or another retailer where you can see all the options side-by-side, and where you are likely to find an employee who can answer specific questions and make good recommendations. The latter is not an easy thing to find these days--I've usually had the best luck with Radio Shack employees, surprisingly, but they don't sell TVs and are going out of business in any event. For computers and TVs we've had good success at Best Buy, whether we end up buying there or not.

I also have a Vizio. After doing my homework a year and a half ago (and going to a Best Buy to take a look at the picture), I decided it's the best bargain out there.

I have a 60". Like others said, it's a "smart" TV -- there are buttons for Vizio and Amazon, and a "Vizio Internet App" button that pulls up other options (like YouTube). The picture is great. No complaints.

(The one I have also has 3D, which I actually like. I don't use it a lot, but some movies actually look pretty good in 3D. And Vizio being Vizio, it came with EIGHT sets of 3D glasses.)

I scooped up a 48 inch TV for ~$480 a year and a half ago. Great specs, only thing keeping the price down was the brand name being Hitachi. Brands be damned, the TV is awesome. The picture is great and you'd be surprised how convenient a Netflix button is on your remote (that's become more standard from what I've seen). If you can find a comparable TV from a better brand (Samsung, Vizio) for a similar price you should probably stick with those, but if you can get a great deal on a Hitachi I would recommend it. Just my two cents since people tend to be skeptical of straying from the top 2 or 3 brands on a big purchase.

Samsung 48", 1080 for $470 at overstock.com. Excellent TV

I'd basically say just look around and see what's on sale. Try to find something from a decent brand like Samsung, Vizio, or LG. Avoid Westinghouse or Spectra or Dynamo or whatever Best Buy calls their TV's now.

Usually, sites like dealnews.com and slickdeals.net have regular TV deals all the time.

I'd avoid wasting any money on a smart TV or anything. You get the same thing for less than 50 bucks with a Roku or Chromecast and are way more likely to get devices updated regularly.

Its the main TV and I don't care about apps. It will mainly be used for watching sports and Netflix. No 3d. I had a Samsung 50'' which was stolen and I have nothing to watch other than my computer right now.

I have a 50" Samsung for sale. Pretty cheap. PM me.

There's no reason to not jump on the 4k Vizio sets .... they've gotten fantastic reviews and are just as cheap (or cheaper) as some of the Sony/Samsung/LG 1080 sets:

If you're going to watch sports (or any motion), get the fastest refresh rate you can find - 240Hz, and 480 is coming.

Do they still make plasma?

Two people above have mentioned 4K.
One said "It's too soon," and the other said, "No reason not to."
Further opinions, or a good source to read up on it, anybody?

Two people above have mentioned 4K.
One said "It's too soon," and the other said, "No reason not to."
Further opinions, or a good source to read up on it, anybody?

This gets kinda (too) technical - Vizio P Series Review (Updated) (P502ui-B1, P552ui-B2, P602ui-B3, P652ui-B2, P702ui-B3)

To sum up 4K ... there's not a lot of content out there yet, but it's going to be the next thing (in the way that HD was the next thing and 3D and curved TVs are not). They're already pretty much at the price of a 1080p set so why not go for it.

I bought a 65" samsung from cosco a couple of months ago, it has been awesome.

I bought a 65" samsung from cosco a couple of months ago, it has been awesome.

Yeah I bought the Smart Samsung 65 also a while back from Costco love it.

I have a 47" 240hz (2010 $800.00) and a 60" 120hz (2012 $700.00)... both Vizio Smart TV's from Walmart with the latter on Black Friday. No problems at all

strangely Roku's (Black Friday and Groupon deals) attached to both due to the WatchESPN app not being a part of the Vizio TV apps at the time.

Im done with TV's, just wonder how long will they last...

My dad has a crappy old small TV and finally wants to buy a 60 inch curved TV. He knows very little about the technology or what he wants but he's adamant he wants it to be 60 inches and curved. I haven't shopped around for one in a while so don't know everything that's out there. Any suggestions?
Make him convince you on its merits.

One important thing about parents (older ones) and new TVs are the remotes. Whatever you buy make sure that the remote is either simple or easy to learn. Sadly many of us have multiple remotes (cable, TV, DVD, detached speakers, etc) and those universal ones were just too complicated for my father.

I don't even know if he realizes there is a favorites programmable button, since his 60 inch Sony (Comcast) has low def an high def channels, and plenty of them. Partly my fault but I don't have the patience to teach him.

One important thing about parents (older ones) and new TVs are the remotes. Whatever you buy make sure that the remote is either simple or easy to learn. Sadly many of us have multiple remotes (cable, TV, DVD, detached speakers, etc) and those universal ones were just too complicated for my father.

I don't even know if he realizes there is a favorites programmable button, since his 60 inch Sony (Comcast) has low def an high def channels, and plenty of them. Partly my fault but I don't have the patience to teach him.
Agree with that. He's getting up there in age and was never tech savvy so he will want the easiest functionality. All he watches is the NBA, college bball and Foxnews but he would like to get Netflix. I would like to go down to Costco to get it, is LED still the way to go?

LED yes, older parents aren't picky like us. When my dad upgraded to an LCD it was like he was staring at a beautiful 30 year old woman, a woman we would call ugly. 60 inch he will see everything, I would just suggest the best TV for brightness, sound and text (sharpness), that's what's important to Seniors. To him all the techno jumbo stuff may be unimportant, like refresh rate, DPI. He may never tweak the TV once set up so take that into consideration. Finally if he's a sports junkie a picture in picture would be nice. He probably won't use it until you come over (at least that's with my Dad).

Anything you choose will be nice to him (and nicer than the one he has), I would assume. I wouldn't go research crazy and get into buyer freeze state. Go to Costco/Best Buy, look or stare at the TVs, ask a couple of questions (warranty, blank pixel return, etc.) and just pull the trigger. Trust me he will love it, especially come College Bowl days and Super Bowl. You're a good son!

My dad has a crappy old small TV and finally wants to buy a 60 inch curved TV. He knows very little about the technology or what he wants but he's adamant he wants it to be 60 inches and curved. I haven't shopped around for one in a while so don't know everything that's out there. Any suggestions?
How far from the TV is watching distance? Curved TVs don't make a lot of sense in sizes under 80 inches. You have to sit close enough to get the benefit and there is only a sweet spot for about two people with a curved 60 inch TV. I would go flat and get higher res if it's not already 4K. Also if you don't go curved you can get something larger which is also better. Here's a great article on why not to buy a 60" curved TV.

Here is a really solid choice at an amazing price from Costco. Or this one if you want spend up and size up also from Costco.

He'll be so much happier with a 70" 4k than a 60" curved TV for the same price.

I've kind of given up on arguing merits with my parents. If he feels like he needs a 60 inch curved TV... Much easier to just accommodate. And you know what? Any one you pick from a brand you've heard of is gonna look great, and you'll have peace of mind buying from Costco. Pick the least stressful solution.

He has it in his head that a curved 60 inch tv is the best despite watching a crappy 32 incher for years that he says has been making a buzzing sound and had lines going across the screen for the past year. The TV room is big, he's way further than 80 inches away, currently doing my best to convince him that a curved TV makes no sense.

My dad, who sadly died at 66 last year, would always come to my house, turn on the tv, spend about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get the image to appear (you needed to turn on the receiver /surround sound to get a picture) then resign himself to staring at a black screen and just listening to whatever channel was on. I have great memories of laughing at him in the recliner in my living room as he stared at the blank screen.

Agree with that. He's getting up there in age and was never tech savvy so he will want the easiest functionality. All he watches is the NBA, college bball and Foxnews but he would like to get Netflix. I would like to go down to Costco to get it, is LED still the way to go?
He chooses his programs wisely. A man I could easily respect. I have a Samsung 63 incher, curved. A great investment. It is also 4K, Which so far I cannot tell much difference besides watching films on the forests, oceans creatures of the amazon. Still I love the TV. One time I was on board with the every changing electronics and technology. Netflix is a must. 11 bucks a month is well worth it. Better movies and a ton of them. I was never a believer until I finally tried it. Sports on that tv is fantastic. There is even a sports mode you can select and it brightens the colors.

I am in the age group you are discussing.

Just bought a 55in flat LED Samsung at Best Buy and love it. I watch sports almost exclusively with an occaisional Netflix movie and Homeland thrown in. If he hasn't been used to LED any brand will do. I like Best Buy because they will come in install it on the wall sink cables into wall etc and the Geek Squad guys will take the time to teach hime what he needs to know about the remote and also the Smart TV functions.

Kitaman said:

Holy Grilled Cheese Sandwich, this...

Everytime Pops visits I find the TV volume cranked up to 50 even though the home theater is on. I leave it on because I've given up trying to explain that you need to turn on both the TV and the receiver.

Holy Grilled Cheese Sandwich, this...

Everytime Pops visits I find the TV volume cranked up to 50 even though the home theater is on. I leave it on because I've given up trying to explain that you need to turn on both the TV and the receiver.
Easy solution. Just get a universal remote that does everything with one press of the On and Off buttons. The good ones aren't cheap though and they are a pain to program but once you do it you're all set.

Easy solution. Just get a universal remote that does everything with one press of the On and Off buttons. The good ones aren't cheap though and they are a pain to program but once you do it you're all set.

As we get older, our remote control skills devolve. You have to plan ahead. Don't make things too complicated. On/Offd, Up/Down. Or, if you want complicated, try to find a voice activated solution, "Turn the sound up, you b******!" or, "I've had it! Shut that d*** thing off!"

While I absolutely agree, and have the patience to set things up correctly - a poorly set up universal remote is the worst option of all. My father in law only "mostly" set up his Logitech and it drives my MIL bonkers every day.

if he's watching lot of sports, get a fast refresh rate so you see the ball / puck. 240 Hz if you can get it.

My dad, who sadly died at 66 last year, would always come to my house, turn on the tv, spend about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to get the image to appear (you needed to turn on the receiver /surround sound to get a picture) then resign himself to staring at a black screen and just listening to whatever channel was on. I have great memories of laughing at him in the recliner in my living room as he stared at the blank screen.
Nice story. I could relate.

Harmony. Remote. They're awesome.

Harmony. Remote. They're awesome.
My father's harmony sits in the tray unused (for 2 years now). Universal remotes are a young man's game, us older folks can't even work a multi-button XBox joystick properly.

There's nothing like watching Steve Doocy on a 60-inch HDTV.

While I absolutely agree, and have the patience to set things up correctly - a poorly set up universal remote is the worst option of all. My father in law only "mostly" set up his Logitech and it drives my MIL bonkers every day.

I have a good one (Harmony), and it's "fully" set up, but the on/off buttons only work on the 1st try 75% of the time. I'm constantly hitting device/Vizio/power toggle to get the damn TV on and off (as opposed to the cable box and the receiver). That may be a Vizio issue, but there are other glitches, too. That said, I like it, but I'm under 40.

Does he want a black-and-white or color TV?

@nomar , I'll bet that's a Vizio issue. We have a Vizio in our eat-in kitchen area and it takes far longer to turn on than any of our other TVs (Sony and Samsung). I don't have my universal remote connected to that TV, but I note that the universal remote also has its own delay, and I'm guessing that the combination of that and the excessive Vizio power-on delay might lead the issue you're experiencing.

I have a very good MX-880 universal remote that was fully set up and programmed for me, at an overall cost that was so ridiculously high that I forced myself to forget it once I agreed to buy it. Just yesterday we had all of our Comcast cable boxes replaced and upgraded, and the guy who came to install them said he doesn't mess with the high end universal remotes because he'd just screw it up. Now I am pissed because I have to go back to using two remotes for my main TV until I figure it out, which in my case probably means begging the guy who installed my whole system to let me pay him $50 for him to send one of his workers over my house to do it for me.

I'm over 40 and I love it, but I don't think I can figure out how to program it. Unless...someone out there in Boneyard Nation knows and can post a tutorial?

8893 said:
@nomar , I'll bet that's a Vizio issue. We have a Vizio in our eat-in kitchen area and it takes far longer to turn on than any of our other TVs (Sony and Samsung). I don't have my universal remote connected to that TV, but I note that the universal remote also has its own delay, and I'm guessing that the combination of that and the excessive Vizio power-on delay might lead the issue you're experiencing. I have a very good MX-880 universal remote that was fully set up and programmed for me, at an overall cost that was so ridiculously high that I forced myself to forget it once I agreed to buy it. Just yesterday we had all of our Comcast cable boxes replaced and upgraded, and the guy who came to install them said he doesn't mess with the high end universal remotes because he'd just screw it up. Now I am pissed because I have to go back to using two remotes for my main TV until I figure it out, which in my case probably means begging the guy who installed my whole system to let me pay him $50 for him to send one of his workers over my house to do it for me. I'm over 40 and I love it, but I don't think I can figure out how to program it. Unless...someone out there in Boneyard Nation knows and can post a tutorial?

Can you plug it in to a USB port on your computer?

@nomar , I'll bet that's a Vizio issue. We have a Vizio in our eat-in kitchen area and it takes far longer to turn on than any of our other TVs (Sony and Samsung). I don't have my universal remote connected to that TV, but I note that the universal remote also has its own delay, and I'm guessing that the combination of that and the excessive Vizio power-on delay might lead the issue you're experiencing.

I have a very good MX-880 universal remote that was fully set up and programmed for me, at an overall cost that was so ridiculously high that I forced myself to forget it once I agreed to buy it. Just yesterday we had all of our Comcast cable boxes replaced and upgraded, and the guy who came to install them said he doesn't mess with the high end universal remotes because he'd just screw it up. Now I am pissed because I have to go back to using two remotes for my main TV until I figure it out, which in my case probably means begging the guy who installed my whole system to let me pay him $50 for him to send one of his workers over my house to do it for me.

I'm over 40 and I love it, but I don't think I can figure out how to program it. Unless...someone out there in Boneyard Nation knows and can post a tutorial?

I thought it was an infrared issue. The one common complaint people seem to have about Vizios is that you have to point the remote directly at the set. But you may well be right. In any event, it's really just an annoyance.

4K really isn't worth it IMO. Not much content available and it's questionable how much of a difference he human eye and brain can actually perceive between that and 1080p

You can probasbly see the difference on a BIG screen. Typically, it's all in the vid processor, which you might ask about (if they know in the store), but those have been distilled down to Mediatec and M-star (both Taiwanese), and a couple of very small players. Everything else is pretty mcuh the same. Oh - get a fast refresh rate so you can see the puck easier.

Check out the OLED TVs. Bright/dark/contrast is far better than LCD (phosphorescent OLEDs radiate light vs need to be illuminated), but still $$.

I don't believe most sports programs are even available in 1080p, let alone 4k.

The standard Samsung HD TVs are now incredibly cheap and will give you just about the same enjoyment.

You can get a great Smart TV these days for under to around $1k, I don't think the added quality/benefit coming from the $3k models like the one you described are worth the added cost, you could save a lot of cash.

The LG 4K OLEDs are the best picture quality available.. and yes it's noticeable. Even though there's not much content broadcast in 4K (Netflix has some and others do too possibly), the upscaling is still magnificent. I just got one recently and a friend of mine noticed immediately (55" in a relatively small room).

From what I've read the LG 4K ultra OLED's have a great picture and are at around $3,000. I'm looking at 55 inch and am wondering if the Samsungs and Sony 4K ultra's at $ 1,000 to 1,500 are close in picture quality? The TV would be mostly used for watching sports, especially basketball. Basically just want some advice on what are the best deals for 55 inch tv's for watching basketball? Also, what is a good place to buy from where they can possibly install it for you at a decent price?
I bought the the non 4K LG OLED for about $1k end of last year and love it. I also have a Samsung a couple years old and it blows it away. I would say go for the non 4K OLED version and don't look back if 3K is too much. Samsung LED's are solid TV's but there pics are nothing special. The LG OLED pictures are stunning!!!!

TV's are now like computers. There was time getting the latest and greatest had value to the consumer. Now, any laptop on the market will do what 95% of the market uses them for just as well as the best one. Same for TV's, any TV on the market right now, will give you an amazing picture. Unless you are really into home theater setups, buy one that has the features you want at the best price over the picture technology.

I always had samsungs and loved them but then I got a 60 Vizio I honestly can't tell the difference they're all so good now I'm not sure it's justifiable to spend more than 1200 on a tv. if money is no issue though than go nuts

A handy dandy chart on when the resolution truly matters:
resolution_chart.jpg

I'm gonna wait a year or 2 to replace my TV since 1) 4K content is scarce and only slowly increasing. It would seem we're some time away from Live sports broadcasts in 4K being the standard. 2) the technology will inevitably become more advanced AND cheaper (hopefully that includes OLED which is significantly more expensive).

If you're buying now and want to be sure it's 'future proof,' consider more than just the 4K resolution. Does it have multiple HDMI 2.0 ports? Is the effective refresh rate 120Hz or higher (particularly important for all the motion in sporting events)? Is the LED backlight full-array with local dimming?

http://gizmodo.com/a-skeptics-guide-to-buying-or-not-buying-a-4k-tv-1744272556
Should You Get an “Ultra HD” 4K TV?
Despite the CES Hype, It’s Better to Wait on That 4K TV
4K TV and UHD: Everything you need to know about Ultra HD

You might consider attending CE Week in NYC 6/20 - 24. There will be a compare of 4K TV sets: LED, LED with Quantum Dots, OLED, curved screen, etc

DO NOT buy a curved screen TV unless it's HUGE (like 70" plus).. marketing gimmick

I looked hard at the LG OLEDs before buying a new 2016 Sony 4K HDR. 4K content is scarce which, ironically, sold me on the Sony. Sony has done just a tremendous job with its image upscaling with these new models. We replaced our older 1080P set with this one and - with exactly the same signal - the picture improvement is just WOW.

The "new" thing that's coming around is enhanced "HDR" (High Dynamic Range) on TVs. Essentially allowing the TV to display a broader range of color and contrast. Whereas most recent "new" technologies on TVs the past decade have been mostly gimmicks (3D, curved screens) this is something that you will likely notice and appreciate. Like others have said, 4k is really dependent on the size of the screen and your distance from the TV ... the average consumer is unlikely to notice the difference at normal viewing distances.

Your 4K comes around when viewing animation. Cartoons, like Finding Nemo. You can tell then. On Netflix they have 4K movies in a separate category. When it comes to regular movies, the 4K is....eh. I was never a believer in the 3D thing, But now I am. It's great. My Samsung is a 4K 65 inch 3D curved and love it. Mine also hooks up with a One Connect. Meaning, everything you add on including the TV goes in the box. Small and slim. Instead of getting behind TV, moving forward, tip it to hook up additional cables. Bad news and good news for me. My TV is just less than a year old. Yesterday the One connect went bad. Good news, unhook HDMI cables from the front, send it to Samsung for a new one, versus (without one connect) going behind the TV, taking it apart if you can really do that.

Comes down to this. You get what you pay for. You may enjoy one thing and your selection is inexpensive. Pick what you like. The eye test.

I have a 4k that i bought on black friday for $2000. Samsung Tv's quality are all based on series they are so if you're looking at a samsung 4k for that price, stay away. Look at 8 series and up. And yes, the oled has the best picture out.

4K is rapidly become the standard for most video. I shot in 6k a couple of weeks ago. So you can expect more and more content in 4k and less and less in 1080p.

Plasma or LED? Under $1500. Any suggestions?

Looking for a new one, $500 range, if it's really worth it, I'd consider regardless. I know this thread has existed before but these can get outdated fast.

From what I've read the LG 4K ultra OLED's have a great picture and are at around $3,000. I'm looking at 55 inch and am wondering if the Samsungs and Sony 4K ultra's at $ 1,000 to 1,500 are close in picture quality? The TV would be mostly used for watching sports, especially basketball. Basically just want some advice on what are the best deals for 55 inch tv's for watching basketball? Also, what is a good place to buy from where they can possibly install it for you at a decent price?

Dear Boneyarders,

I need a new TV, our old Samsung plasma is getting fuzzy. I understand the best picture is the LG OLED models, but wow are they expensive. At Best Buy, the TV that had the best picture for me was a Sony XBR 930D, which still cost $1800 for 55" model. Came in thinking I'd get a Vizio either M- or P-series, but the Sony seemed better, it really dazzled. Someone on Craiglist in New Hampshire is selling a OLED TV for $1150 but it is the curved type and I prefer flat screen.

I appreciate any recommendations others might have. My budget originally was $1000, but my wife said over 5-6 years that spending a bit more won't matter much so get the one with the best picture.

What else besides a good picture should I be considering?

Dear Boneyarders,

I need a new TV, our old Samsung plasma is getting fuzzy. I understand the best picture is the LG OLED models, but wow are they expensive. At Best Buy, the TV that had the best picture for me was a Sony XBR 930D, which still cost $1800 for 55" model. Came in thinking I'd get a Vizio either M- or P-series, but the Sony seemed better, it really dazzled. Someone on Craiglist in New Hampshire is selling a OLED TV for $1150 but it is the curved type and I prefer flat screen.

I appreciate any recommendations others might have. My budget originally was $1000, but my wife said over 5-6 years that spending a bit more won't matter much so get the one with the best picture.

My Philips PLASMA is going too. Keeps flickering to static every 15 minutes for a few seconds. They said that no one knew how long plasmas would last but it seems like about 11 years is the answer for mine, yet this TV has actually gotten very little use. It is on about once a week.

Be careful about judging sets from one trip to one Best Buy. The lighting in those places are not conducive to good viewing and you don't know if one is setup better or if customers have played with levels, etc. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Sony has the better picture (I would actually expect it) but in this day and age, all LED displays will look excellent in your family room and you don't have to worry about anyone comparing it to another one next to it. Most people would probably be happier getting a 5" larger Visio than a slightly better picture Sony that is smaller for the same money. TVs are like b00b jobs. Once someone gets one, they wish they had gone bigger.

My advice on this hasn't changed in at least 5 years. Go to Costco and get the biggest LED that you can afford. The extended warranty and excellent return policy are well worth it. If you are setting up a home theater with perfect lighting and top of the line sound and seating, then it might make a difference to spend up a little on picture quality. But if you're putting in a normal family room, size matters more than picture quality which are all so close that they become normalized in average viewing environments.

Just my 2 cents.

Dear Boneyarders,

LG UltraHD 49", less than $500 at BJs. I hope I future proofed myself.

I've been looking for a new TV as well. This site might prove useful, I've gone through and a lot of the reviews here: www.rtings.com

Biggest take from the OP is his wife is a keeping.

Having a spouse who says, screw your budget, plus it up another 30%-50% and get something better?

Beautiful.

I bought the 55 inch samsung Ultra high def 4K and it is fantastic. Bought it 1 year ago for 899 and I think you can
get a 60 inch now for that or slightly less. Great for movies and sports. Also has a setting for sports which brightens it up a bit. For movies I bought a Definative Technologies sound bar system from Best Buy for 999 (regular 1299) It is phenomenal and better than the customer built in system for previous home which I paid 5K for.

My Philips PLASMA is going too. Keeps flickering to static every 15 minutes for a few seconds. They said that no one knew how long plasmas would last but it seems like about 11 years is the answer for mine, yet this TV has actually gotten very little use. It is on about once a week.
It may be failing, but check your connections if you haven't done that already.

Be careful about judging sets from one trip to one Best Buy. The lighting in those places are not conducive to good viewing and you don't know if one is setup better or if customers have played with levels, etc. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Sony has the better picture (I would actually expect it) but in this day and age, all LED displays will look excellent in your family room and you don't have to worry about anyone comparing it to another one next to it. Most people would probably be happier getting a 5" larger Visio than a slightly better picture Sony that is smaller for the same money. TVs are like b00b jobs. Once someone gets one, they wish they had gone bigger.

My advice on this hasn't changed in at least 5 years. Go to Costco and get the biggest LED that you can afford. The extended warranty and excellent return policy are well worth it. If you are setting up a home theater with perfect lighting and top of the line sound and seating, then it might make a difference to spend up a little on picture quality. But if you're putting in a normal family room, size matters more than picture quality which are all so close that they become normalized in average viewing environments.

Just my 2 cents.

Very good point about the TV that is bought will be by its lonesome self in the living room. No matter what you buy it will be better quality than what you had and you will know the difference.

Those who have a specific technology need or those who can really discriminate amongst the different technogies aren't looking on the BY for advice.

Just get what is the newest Samsung smart TV.

if you're going to spend the money get an OLED which has better blacks and will have truer colors. They're not cheap and the price is coming down slowly.

Playboy channel.

I own an LG and a Vizio. Vizio is larger but the picture quality is not that much different/better than the Vizio.

When I buy another TV I'm getting another Vizio, the price point is my reason, since I'm not using a magnifying glass to determine color calibration and image quality. As long as the picture is 'good, clear/clean and accurate color' its fine by me and my Vizio covers that with savings to boot.

However I usually watch only 1-2 hours of TV a day and then all UConn games.

Everything is 4k ultraHD now, and HDR (high dynamic range) is the new thing. Basically wider range of colors so you get brighter brights and darker darks. In my opinion if you didn't have a non-HDR tv sitting right next to it you'd never really care or notice. Also, hardly anything streaming right now is even available in HDR so you won't even get to utilize it much for at least another couple years. I just bought a 4k UltraHD 65" Samsung but got last year's model without HDR since the specs are essentially the same as this year's and I saved couple hundred bucks (paid $1100 at best buy).

There is an excellent chance that I do not know what I'm talking about.

But I think that there's not much appreciable difference $800-1000 television and a $2,000 television.

Use the extra money to go away for a long weekend.

Thanks for feedback, another question I have is about sound bars, which is recommend with the newer flat screens. Is anyone using them and which ones do you like? Seems like you could spend another couple of hundred $ on them, maybe more.

I had all kinds of problems with my Vizio, so I'm done with them. LG has some funky controls/menus and Sharps tend to have terrible speakers. Samsung and Sony are solid as a rock. Can't go wrong. The 60-65 inch 4k models are under $1000, so that's what I'd get. The pictures are so good that anything more expensive is likely a waste of money.

Just my 2 cents.

The basics of this advice worked very well for me a year ago.

When I made my inquiry, somebody added a link to a chart that said my eyes couldn't tell the difference between HD & 4K at the distance where the couch is fixed, and nothing larger than 55" would fit in the sloped-ceiling space where the TV would sit. Admittedly, that made things easier.

I added the Costco Square Deal warranty, and a Vizio sound bar that was on sale for & sounds perfectly fine. Including tax, everything came in at about $850, and we still remark how good the picture looks during sports, DVD/Blu-ray movies, and all manner of streaming.

A month after the purchase, we enjoyed a very nice long weekend visiting my daughter in Louisville.

Newer TVs look bigger & better when I first walk into Costco, but I forget about them by the time I've walked by computers, headphones, SD & flash storage, and telephones, all of which I've happily upgraded as well since then.

The long weekend and tech purchases are an either-or thing, but Fishy is onto something.

Dear Boneyarders,

I sell and install A/V for a living.. You are right on track with your original thoughts:

LG OLED picture is best you can get (but very pricey as you mentioned).

I've sold and installed all the major brands over the years, and my favorite by far is the Sony line..

So to sum it up: If you want the very best available right now, splurge for the LG. But if not, stick with the Sony line.. 93o or 850 line.. not sure if you'd be able to tell much difference between the 2. Whatever you choose, make sure it is 4K HDR (all of these are HDR)

Hope that helps and let me know if I can help you in any way.. I sell them as well, so might be able to get you it for a little cheaper if you're in the New England area.

OLEDs are great, but still pricey. Go with a 4k LCD with Quantum Dots. QDs are a relatively new tech add-on, but the color quality they add is amazing, and that's what I'd buy if in the market today. I've found Chinese quality statistical, so stick with LG / Sam. They produce the most screens (market share). The Nanoco / Dow factory that manufactures QDs is right across the street from the Sam fab in Steven Krajewski.

Get a couple year old model and save the money. After a long period where TVs were improving dramatically almost every year, we've reached a period of severe diminishing returns. My Panasonic Plasma was a 2-3 year old model (bought new) when I got it about 4 years ago and in day-to-day usage, it's just as good as the vast majority of much more expensive new TVs. Right now you pay for marketing gimmicks like 4k that truly just aren't that beneficial to you. I'd figure out whether you need a smart TV, then read lots of reviews. I got mine off Amazon with no issues.

Thanks for feedback, another question I have is about sound bars, which is recommend with the newer flat screens. Is anyone using them and which ones do you like? Seems like you could spend another couple of hundred $ on them, maybe more.
Sound bars are a nice upgrade and look clean, though honestly at the price that I've seen for some of them, I can put together a pretty decent quality 2.1 speaker system with a phantom center channel speaker that will blow those away. A little research can get you a lot better quality audio for a lot cheaper than the heavily marketed stuff.

Dear Boneyarders,

I have the Sony, it is pretty serious!!

I actually also have a Samsung Plasma 55 inch in my bedroom, lol that's kinda wierd.

I guess smart minds think alike!!

Sony XBR65X930D - 65" 3D LED Smart TV - 4K UltraHD. Best TV I've ever owned.

I bought a really nice Sony 4K TV last fall. Still can't even get 1080p. TV will stop working by the time stuff is broadcast in 4K.

Just bought a new 50" Samsung Ultra HD 4K TV from BJ's Wholesale Club for $650. You can't beat that. If you know someone with a BJ's Membership card or if you are a member, I suggest you check out what they have.

I still love my Panasonic Plasma that is now 9 years old. I think it's starting to tell me that it is planning on retiring. If it gets too hot after a few hours, it shuts down, and now there is also an intermittent high pitched whine that comes and goes.

We finished our basement last summer and I put in a small entertainment section (more kid cave than man cave). I'm happy with the 55" Vizio 4k I bought (can't remember the series, but it was the middle line (I think M)). I got it last June so it's probably cheaper and/or obsolete now. I don't use the smart stuff much because we have a PS4, but I do like that the remote has a full qwerty keyboard for searches and pause/fast forward type buttons when watching netflix and prime. It also has a very easy user interface for naming and moving between components (I have a cable box, ps4, ps3, and wii). There are a few negatives, however.
  • First, while I like the qwerty remote, it's a piece of garbage. My kids dropped it twice on our tile and it basically deconstructed itself into half a dozen pieces of rubber, plastic and silicon. I was able to put it back together both times (my kids were very impressed), but I bought another one on Amazon for the inevitable destruction.
  • Also, I got the Vizio soundbar with subwoofer (not surround sound). Sound quality is fine, but it has delinked from the TV a few times. The last time I had to unplug the bar (which isn't very easy after installing everything in my wall) to reset it.
My suggestion is go big. I sit closer to the 55" Vizio than the 50" Panasonic, and in hindsight I would've gone 60". It helps that there is no bevel compared to a 9 year old plasma.

Samsung KS8000 owner - best picture for the money - Quantum dots - HDR

Have Amazon Prime or Netflix ? UHD / HDR is awesome. The detail and brightness will burn your eyes out. Sometimes the sun pops up in a scene and I have to squint.

You want an IPS + 10 Bit (I was a panasonic plasma owner and you are used to killer color and black cheaper tvs don't have the dark rich black color) Cheaper TV's can't upscale properly.

With the new TV's the cheap ones have less colors and have judder / motion blur / soap opera effect. Like the above said - go to rtings.com / avforums.com / 4k.com Find what you like and wait for the deal. Remember it's just a tv.
That being said I have seen that cheap TCL 55 inch tv HDR / 4k for 400 - at a friends, and it is watchable.

I own an LG and a Vizio. Vizio is larger but the picture quality is not that much different/better than the Vizio.

When I buy another TV I'm getting another Vizio, the price point is my reason, since I'm not using a magnifying glass to determine color calibration and image quality. As long as the picture is 'good, clear/clean and accurate color' its fine by me and my Vizio covers that with savings to boot.

However I usually watch only 1-2 hours of TV a day and then all UConn games.

I watch a lot of TV, and my Vizio gets the job done.

I watch a lot of TV, and my Vizio gets the job done.
Our 12' x 20 family room is the room of choice for TV watchin'. We watch across the narrow dimension and the couch is 7 feet from us.

We just upgraded to the Comcast X1 platform and now have the itch to get a newer TV to replace our 5-year old Toshiba. Never really wowed by it.

Best Buy has a Vizeo E series 43" 4K UHD that is screaming at us to buy. I think we will.

Best Buy has a Vizeo E series 43" 4K UHD that is screaming at us to buy. I think we will.

Close to $380

Last edited by a moderator:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So what is your reasoning that the issue does not appear on my father's TV that is 240hz, with the same provider?
Just google '60hz vs 120hz'. There is a ton of information about the issue. Older LCDs have an issue with 'ghosting' in that the old image takes longer to to disappear. So in the case above your fathers TV probably has a faster pixel refresh (how many times the pixels are refreshed, not the next frame being broadcast; this number is in single ms range) and your in laws TV has a higher pixel refresh. Also, they could have an older cable or satellite box that doesn't decompress the signal as fast.

As I originally said, some people love the effect of increasing the refresh rate - some don't. There's a reason you can turn it off (or set to 60hz) on every TV. If it was always better than a 240Hz TV wouldn't have an option to turn the best possible picture off, it would simply ship as a 240Hz TV only.

If you can get an over the air signal, put that on the 60Hz TV when a live sport event is on. You'll be amazed at how much better the image is than any cable or sat signal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A lot of good info on this thread. Two quick comments, I have been very happy with 50" Samsung, so let me add that chorus. I read an article on a new TV that was being shown (I'm not sure if it was the 4K or the new 8K) and it has 3D without glasses. I think that would make 3d more mainstream. I wouldn't pay a premium for the current 3D technology as I think we are looking at the tail end of it's impact.

Reaction Score
I know there have been threads before but I wasn't buying then. Unfortunately (perhaps) I now have to buy a TV for our living room. I'm getting an internet ready (have roku), 1080p TV for primarily movies and college basketball, which is seasonal. We don't watch a whole lot of TV and have a 37 inch in our bedroom.

Quick questions:

Is 42 inches considered the sweet spot?
Refurb or new?
Are Vizio's any good? LGs?
Is 120hz necessary?
Should I purchase online (see so many deals) or brick and mortar?
Lastly is ebay safe for tv purchases?
Are warranties worth it?

Budget around $500 or so. Been researching but the more I learn the more I become iced and lead footed.

For some reason I trust you guys more than the bloggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom