OT-Advice on buying a new TV | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT-Advice on buying a new TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Samsung & LG are 2 of the best these days. Nice picture quality, refresh rates, etc. I've not owned a Visio, but have not heard good things about them from friends/family or reviews. Visios are pretty basic. When you look at the picture of a Visio next to a Samsung or a LG, they are normally of lesser quality. That's just make opinion.

Also check Amazon, you can sometimes find a better deal there. With Prime, the shipping is often free with the right supplier.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know it's not on the list but I have a Sharp and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Reaction Score
LG-6090 and Vizio E55-C1 are both now available for under $600.
Netflix, Amazon, Chromecast for Watch ESPN/YouTube/ & others, network playoffs, major events, not much more. Already have Vizio soundbar; no larger set would fit in the room. Viewing from 8-10 straight on.

Which to buy, and why?
4k are under $1000 for 55"

Reaction Score
I have a 42" LG and talked both my mom and my aunt into buying 55" LGs. We all couldn't be happier with them. My mom bought a Vizio before the LG and it stopped working after about a week. We took it back to Walmart and got her money back, but after seeing the horror stories online when researching what was wrong with it, I'd never buy a Vizio again.

Reaction Score
I recently bought the Vizio M55. I think I got it for $850 on Amazon. Costco was $10 more. Probably cheaper now. Also got the Vizio soundbar. I've had it on the wall in my new basement for a month or so. No complaints and the price was definitely lower than comparable sets.

I have an LG in my bedroom. Nice tv also, BUT they stopped updating their smart tv offering quickly so it has limited apps. A bit annoying.

Nothing compares to my 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma. It's 8 years old and people still compliment it. Too bad that plasma fell so out of style.

One more tip. I bought an Amazon Fire Stick for the Panasonic (because I moved the PS3 to the basement). It's awesome. So I wouldn't worry too much about the smart tv offerings with the Fire Stick as an option.

Reaction Score
My in-laws have a Vizio and it's a giant piece of crap. I had an older LG but roll with strictly Samsung now. If I were to choose one of the two, go LG so you do not own a giant piece of crap.
very much disagree. When I was in college back in like '09, Vizios were definitely crappy. But they've stepped up their game big time. The 55" Vizio LED TV I have now is my favorite TV I've ever owned. I'm not 100% sure if it's the one mentioned in the OP (I think it's the M55, mentioned in the post above), but it's an excellent TV brand for the money.

Reaction Score
We have 4 Vizios and 4 Samsungs. The Vizios are excellent. The only issue I have with Vizio is the the remote control quality is much lower than average on their basic sets. I actually went online and bought a few extra Vizio remotes to replace them as needed. They were really cheap on Amazon so I figured I better stock up. In the first two years I have had to replace two remotes.

The Samsungs are flawless except that there is no browser on the cheaper ones. You can access Netflix etc. through a bunch of preloaded apps but you can't go to any old web site and watch something. That has been annoying when trying to watch a UConn game online a few times.

So, I'd say Samsung is a hair better quality based on remotes. If this will be your main TV I'd definitely make sure any Samsung you buy has a browser. I would not buy another web enabled TV that only works on preloaded apps.

We have two high end sets from both makers and overall quality is great on both. The Vizio picture quality is top notch these days. Also, the Vizio sound bar with separate subwoofer is mind blowingly good for the price of around $250-$279. We have parties and will often have a game on the TV and then segue into louder music as the night wears on. The sound bar and subwoofer end up providing the tunes much of the time rather than my very nice stereo, which is wired throughout the house to built in ceiling speakers. It really kicks ass. I bought it on a whim at Costco 5-6 years ago only because they had one on display and it sounded great. My wife wanted to put surround sound in the family room but I didn't want the clutter or expense since we have a home theater set up in the den. I bought it for her as a gift and she was skeptical, knowing I was trying to avoid buying a second big, expensive surround system. She has never been happier with a $250 gift than she is with the Vizio sound bar and sub. Highly, highly recommend, even to audiophiles. It is that good of a product.

Reaction Score
the 2 Qs: Who made the panel, and who made the video chip?

Reaction Score
I recently bought the Vizio M55. I think I got it for $850 on Amazon. Costco was $10 more. Probably cheaper now. Also got the Vizio soundbar. I've had it on the wall in my new basement for a month or so. No complaints and the price was definitely lower than comparable sets.

I have an LG in my bedroom. Nice tv also, BUT they stopped updating their smart tv offering quickly so it has limited apps. A bit annoying.

Nothing compares to my 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma. It's 8 years old and people still compliment it. Too bad that plasma fell so out of style.

One more tip. I bought an Amazon Fire Stick for the Panasonic (because I moved the PS3 to the basement). It's awesome. So I wouldn't worry too much about the smart tv offerings with the Fire Stick as an option.
Chuck, my older Samsung plasmas blow away my newer lighter smart Samsung TV. I love plasma.

Reaction Score
If you're not hooked on COSTCO, Target is doing 10% off of 4K TVs if you pick them up. I also used the red card and got another 5% off. I bought the VIZIO M55 which seems great to me so far.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My in-laws have a Vizio and it's a giant piece of crap. I had an older LG but roll with strictly Samsung now. If I were to choose one of the two, go LG so you do not own a giant piece of crap.

So they got a lemon. It happens. I've had a Vizio for two years and it's fantastic. Great bang for the buck.

Reaction Score
Costco is the best place to get TVs because its easy to return them if you don't like it

Reaction Score
We have 4 Vizios and 4 Samsungs. The Vizios are excellent. The only issue I have with Vizio is the the remote control quality is much lower than average on their basic sets. I actually went online and bought a few extra Vizio remotes to replace them as needed. They were really cheap on Amazon so I figured I better stock up. In the first two years I have had to replace two remotes.

The Samsungs are flawless except that there is no browser on the cheaper ones. You can access Netflix etc. through a bunch of preloaded apps but you can't go to any old web site and watch something. That has been annoying when trying to watch a UConn game online a few times.

So, I'd say Samsung is a hair better quality based on remotes. If this will be your main TV I'd definitely make sure any Samsung you buy has a browser. I would not buy another web enabled TV that only works on preloaded apps.

We have two high end sets from both makers and overall quality is great on both. The Vizio picture quality is top notch these days. Also, the Vizio sound bar with separate subwoofer is mind blowingly good for the price of around $250-$279. We have parties and will often have a game on the TV and then segue into louder music as the night wears on. The sound bar and subwoofer end up providing the tunes much of the time rather than my very nice stereo, which is wired throughout the house to built in ceiling speakers. It really kicks ass. I bought it on a whim at Costco 5-6 years ago only because they had one on display and it sounded great. My wife wanted to put surround sound in the family room but I didn't want the clutter or expense since we have a home theater set up in the den. I bought it for her as a gift and she was skeptical, knowing I was trying to avoid buying a second big, expensive surround system. She has never been happier with a $250 gift than she is with the Vizio sound bar and sub. Highly, highly recommend, even to audiophiles. It is that good of a product.

Dude... 8 TV's....?

Reaction Score
Chuck, my older Samsung plasmas blow away my newer lighter smart Samsung TV. I love plasma.
I still have my 50" Panasonic G20 plasma and the picture is still great. Too bad they don't make them anymore and I'm in the the market for a 60" TV.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hans Sprungfeld said:
Netflix, Amazon, Chromecast for Watch ESPN/YouTube/ & others, network playoffs, major events, not much more. Already have Vizio soundbar; no larger set would fit in the room. Viewing from 8-10 straight on.

Which to buy, and why?

Look them up on Cnet or some other review site. If the contrast and refresh rate are similar, then pick with ever interface you like better.

8-10 feet sounds a little too close for me for a 55 inch.

Reaction Score
Gotta go with Vizio. Got two, 55 and 39, at Costco and have not had a problem with either in three years.

Reaction Score
So they got a lemon. It happens. I've had a Vizio for two years and it's fantastic. Great bang for the buck.
The guy asked for opinion and I am of the opinion that Vizios are crap. I am glad that your Vizio is working well for you.

Reaction Score
You guys never heard of SONY I guess? Samsung is very good! VISIO, spare me!!!!!!!!!! (non repairable crap ). You might as well by a Spectre ( walmart brand made by Visio ) for a lot less money if you don't care about the quality. And DON'T BUY ANYTHING ELECTRICAL (110v. 12v battery ect.) ON LINE FROM A NON AUTHORIZED DEALER EVER because the manufacturer WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!! Just some friendly advice for my fellow Uconn fans.We own a store in Fl. that sells mostly car and home electronics but we do home theater installations on video equipment purchased elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I still have my 50" Panasonic G20 plasma and the picture is still great. Too bad they don't make them anymore and I'm in the the market for a 60" TV.

If you were a gamer that TV would've been a mess by now... Video game images stay stuck on those types of screens after awhile...

Reaction Score

Which to buy, and why?

LG all the way.. better product than VIZIO... The blacks in LGs are the best...
The most realism can be seen a the Samsung models though.. picture clarity is just unbeatable on 120 Hz and up models...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom