OT: 3 favorite public CT golf courses | The Boneyard

OT: 3 favorite public CT golf courses

Reaction Score
I live in Salisbury, so I really haven’t played many in Fairfield County or in eastern CT.
1. Fairview Farms, Harwinton
2. Gillette Ridge, Bloomfield
3. Richter Park, Danbury

Favorite 9 hole course: Stonybrook, Litchfield

Reaction Score
Blackledge-Hebron
Tallwood-Hebron
East Hartford

A bad back has done me in, but over the years I've enjoyed these courses

Reaction Score
I moved to Florida 4 years ago so haven't played it in a while but you should try Oxford Greens, my favorite CT course and had great summer twilight deals
Yes. Oxford Greens is very nice as well. Not Richter quality but up there with the others.

Reaction Score
I live in Salisbury, so I really haven’t played many in Fairfield County or in eastern CT.
1. Fairview Farms, Harwinton
2. Gillette Ridge, Bloomfield
3. Richter Park, Danbury

Favorite 9 hole course: Stonybrook, Litchfield
You live in Salisbury and chose Stonybrook as your favorite 9 holer? Hotchkiss is probably one of the best 9 holers in the state. Stonybrook is a dog track (I may or may not have learned how to play there and live just up the road...)

They've done a really nice job with Fairview but it's an impossible play on the weekends. 5.5 to 6 hour rounds and they don't let people walk (whispers... walking isn't the reason the course plays slow.)

Keney Park is unbelievable now. Just a brilliant restoration but another course where your playing 5+ hours on the weekends. But for my thoughts it's the nicest public course in the state now.

Shenny is a very cool course and great value.

Fox Hopyard is very nice. The closing stretch is as nice as you'll find from a public course.

Reaction Score
Mill River
Lake of Isles
Ellington Ridge
I am almost certain Mill River and Ellington Ridge are not public courses

I am also surprised no one has said Shennecossett yet, when you roll together the course the views of the sound on the back nine the food and the price, it is the top public course in ct for me

Reaction Score
I am almost certain Mill River and Ellington Ridge are not public courses

I am also surprised no one has said Shennecossett yet, when you roll together the course the views of the sound on the back nine the food and the price, it is the top public course in ct for me
Sorry Great River

Ellington played in tournament, yes private

Sheny is Great!

But my all time favorite the flat nine at Goody Park! Hahah

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Wintonbury, then some courses on the shore that I dont remember the name.

Reaction Score
You live in Salisbury and chose Stonybrook as your favorite 9 holer? Hotchkiss is probably one of the best 9 holers in the state. Stonybrook is a dog track (I may or may not have learned how to play there and live just up the road...)

They've done a really nice job with Fairview but it's an impossible play on the weekends. 5.5 to 6 hour rounds and they don't let people walk (whispers... walking isn't the reason the course plays slow.)

Keney Park is unbelievable now. Just a brilliant restoration but another course where your playing 5+ hours on the weekends. But for my thoughts it's the nicest public course in the state now.

Fox Hopyard is very nice. The closing stretch is as nice as you'll find from a public course.
I grew up in Litchfield, so I’ve come to love Stonybrook over the years. Bob Ferrarotti turned that cow pasture into a respectable challenging course. I play Hotchkiss all the time. Jim Kennedy is a friend of mine. Probably the hardest opening hole of any course I’ve played. Seth Raynor, who designed The Course at Yale, also designed the course which surrounds the scenic campus. Tough course with many uphill, downhill and side hill lies.

Reaction Score

Those would have been my top three but I believe Fox Hopyard is private now. Unfortunate, but it's probably the best for the course as it would get pretty chewed up as the season went on.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Litchfield, so I’ve come to love Stonybrook over the years. Bob Ferrarotti turned that cow pasture into a respectable challenging course. I play Hotchkiss all the time. Jim Kennedy is a friend of mine. Probably the hardest opening hole of any course I’ve played. Seth Raynor, who designed The Course at Yale, also designed the course which surrounds the scenic campus. Tough course with many uphill, downhill and side hill lies.
Yeah I don't know what the status with stonybrook is now but it was for sale for a longgg time and was being advertised as land for condos or homes... Covid may have saved it from that fate.

Hotchkiss is an incredibly quirky and wonderful course that has the bones of a classic. I will say the first 8 holes are awesome and the 9th is one of the certifiably worst golf holes ever.

I grew up playing Stonybrook, fairview and Canaan (when I was really young and yes definitely a dog track). I'm a member at Torrington now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When I was playing regularly, I enjoyed getting to know a course and developing a love-hate relationship with it. So I'll go with Oak Hill in Norwalk, a short track that I should've beaten into submission when I could still hit long, but which always found a way to bite my ass. There are several extremely inviting risk/reward holes where a few feet either way meant a solid bird chance or a snowman. None more so than the 340-ish 18th, where there was a swale about 250-260 yds down the right side right next to thick woods. Hit the backside of that swale and you were on the apron in one. Miss and you're hitting your 3rd shot, either from tee (if you're a purist), or from 80 yards out (with drop) without a clear shot to the green.

When i lived there it was very slow play if you got out on a weekend morning, but pretty brisk if you went out late and were willing to finish in twilight. For a muni, greens were pretty good. No views, not particularly pretty, but it punished mistakes.

Reaction Score
Yes. Oxford Greens is very nice as well. Not Richter quality but up there with the others.
It’s better than Richter. It doesn’t flood every time it rains. And one of the best holes they turned into a driving range.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom