OT: 3 favorite public CT golf courses | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: 3 favorite public CT golf courses

Reaction Score
I haven’t played there since 1974. I hear it’s different. First multiple birdie round, and first birdie!
I am fairly certain they re designed the course like 10 maybe 15 years ago but I could be wrong on that front

Reaction Score
I am fairly certain they re designed the course like 10 maybe 15 years ago but I could be wrong on that front
I know they got land going to the water and put in a few new holes, including the new signature hole. Been meaning to get back for a while, but I’m about 2 hours away now.
I always dreaded the old first hole, where you had to hit across the street from behind the clubhouse. I knew my line drive would kill someone.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the Black at the Wheel, Bridgeport but kinda sorta in fairdale.
brooklawn.
the Red at the Wheel, Bridgeport but kinda sorta in fairdale.

Reaction Score
@TheDude, I'm a Torrington High grad class of '80. Two of my best buddies are Wolcott Tech grads. If Bobby was your BR batboy we should be around the same age. Bobby made the PGA tour one year. I walked with his group for nine holes at the Western Open. I talked to him at the end of the round. Nice guy. He didn't remember me but remembered my dad(who played at Green Woods 3-4 days a week). BTW, watching Gage golf that day is the most fun I've ever had at a golf tournament. He was paired with two other pros who were not household names and there were about ten of us walking around following them. They all shot about level par. It was like a private clinic. I'd strongly suggest going to GHO on a Thursday or Friday afternoon and following a lesser known group.
Yep we are the same age. I graduated Gilbert in '79. Played a lot of basketball freshman year against
Torrington kids. I remember this guy Tyrone Canino, I think his name was. He was good. I played
a lot against Wolcott Tech. They had a good shooter named Mike Albreda.

Back to Golf.

I never played Greenwoods it used to be private back in the dy. But I think i will give it a go sometime this year. Its only a 12 holer.

Like to do Fairview Farms too, I only played that once.

Reaction Score
I don’t know, but Pauline’s brother Earl was the owner of Canaan. If Bill is from Winsted then they probably are related.
Yup Bill was from Winsted, His dad owned Benny Nero's restaurant

Reaction Score
Yep we are the same age. I graduated Gilbert in '79. Played a lot of basketball freshman year against
Torrington kids. I remember this guy Tyrone Canino, I think his name was. He was good. I played
a lot against Wolcott Tech. They had a good shooter named Mike Albreda.

Back to Golf.

I never played Greenwoods it used to be private back in the dy. But I think i will give it a go sometime this year. Its only a 12 holer.

Like to do Fairview Farms too, I only played that once.

How about Ray Amejko(sp?) from Torrington HS think he was a ‘79 grad nice player strong kid. Think he was a sophomore when I played against him and Leron Williams, Murray’s brother, in 77.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@TheDude, I'd never heard of Tyrone Canino so I looked him up. His bio says he went to Bulkeley 80-83. He was quite the baller averaged 20 and 20 one year but he's not a Torrington guy. Greenwoods has members but is not private.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the Black at the Wheel, Bridgeport but kinda sorta in fairdale.
brooklawn.
the Red at the Wheel, Bridgeport but kinda sorta in fairdale.
a good bud of mine called me the other day to say he played the Black. a former Connecticut old person Champ, he was cheesed cuz his plan was to beat his age, 75, but #13, the 'over the creek to score' hole wrecked all that. took a triple, and then his mind and his card turned to feathers.
anyone who can regularly par that hole is a top duffer. he mostly does.
i never was, or ever will be even remotely close to that guy. sometimes, when no one is looking, i'll tee it up out there on the fairway. or ruff. i also never wager on the course, so calm down. he good, and i ain't. but golf sure is a fun time.
hit 'em straight, or work on ur 'lie' game.

as to the Red, that's a great course cuz while it's legit in length and variety, there's a certain something going on with it where if ur act is mostly together, u can get a good score. and then lie to urself that ur also pretty good. it has 5's that make u reasonably believe u'll nail a five, mebbe even cash in a bird, and give u thoughts of 'today i get an eagle!'

honorable mention to fenwick. a round there is always fun, just try not to hit kate's former house out there in the ocean at #2. iffn u do that, then everrone will know that u stink, superbad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know they got land going to the water and put in a few new holes, including the new signature hole. Been meaning to get back for a while, but I’m about 2 hours away now.
I always dreaded the old first hole, where you had to hit across the street from behind the clubhouse. I knew my line drive would kill someone.
They turned into a muni to better facilitate league play. There is no out or in anymore. Everything has been done to improve speed of play. I think they did as good as they could with the new holes along the river given the land restraints.

Reaction Score
They turned into a muni to better facilitate league play. There is no out or in anymore. Everything has been done to improve speed of play. I think they did as good as they could with the new holes along the river given the land restraints.

Yeah Shenny was known as a 6 hour weekend round back in the day!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom