One of the worst UCONN offensive teams ever! (and they've never been to the moon) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One of the worst UCONN offensive teams ever! (and they've never been to the moon)

Reaction Score
This team is much much much better than the last two Ollie teams. One bad game for an otherwise high scoring team happens (we played to Manhattan's pace, so it goes). Please go to bed.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Is OP aware that we are one of the highest scoring teams in the country? Defense looked better and offense looked worse tonight because we were playing against a low possession team that likes to run the clock down. Problems plaguing this team are obvious too many turnovers and terrible interior defense.

Reaction Score
The offense is better than the last few years but I enjoyed the buzzfeed quality thread title nonetheless.
Better than the last few years still isn't saying much. They are just out of control and the basketball IQ is questionable.

Reaction Score
Through 11 games I can definitely say the team is better than last year. The players are giving full effort and they seem to be better coached.

But you have to honestly admit that there still is a lack of overall talent and basketball IQ on the team. That's going to take a while to improve. Rome wasn't built in a day.

This sounds like a post from the football board well except for the improvement part.

Reaction Score
Better than the last few years still isn't saying much. They are just out of control and the basketball IQ is questionable.

I’ll say it’s better than going to OT against Columbia and Monmouth. I agree that that the Basketball IQ is still lacking.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We are better on defense than last year but we look lost offensively when Jalen is not firing on all cylinders. AG is inconsistent and he still over penetrates. Vital gives great effort but still takes some bad shots. Polley is still soft and if he can't hit his outside shot he becomes invisible. Train Smith is an awful outside shooter. Our bigs are just not good offensively to compete at the top level. The one hope is Willson. He has the tools if he can develop his midrange shot. I hope he get more time as the season develops. It really is sad to see the lack of offensive talent on the team especially up front.

Christ

Good poster; garbage post

Reaction Score
I think the lack of a post presence on offense hurts us alot. If we had any type of consistent offensive post production, things would be way better.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
fwiw, Manhattan holds opponents to 63 ppg. UConn went into this already on a bad string of poor 3pt shooting performances and continue to stink from the FT line. And this was not a good game for anyone on the UConn roster.

But at any point past the first few minutes, were they in any danger of losing? No.

When you win a game where you suck by 15pts, you take that to the bank. To wit, Cuse losing to ODU, at home.

Reaction Score
I might be overeating but after the last two games our offense has looked putrid and Jalen has been off. I hope he gets back to his normal offense efficiency and Wilson improves. We are still lacking much resemblance of an offense but Hurley is hand tied with the talent Ollie left. At least they work hard on defense and it shows. Hard to play good offense with no inside game and no consistent outside shooters. Lot of missed open shots today. It just resembled a game from last year and after the Florida St. game I was looking for an improvement.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I might be overeating but after the last two games our offense has looked putrid and Jalen has been off.
This is a reasonable sentiment.

The thread title & your opening post in it, however, are the sentiments of a crazy person.

To that point: Tonight our shots weren't falling. And yet we assisted on literally 2/3s of our FGs – 14 of 21 were assisted.

In all of last year, we assisted on 2/3 or more of our FGs exactly zero times. In the 2016/17 season, we did it twice.

Moderate your agony before you post.

Reaction Score
These things are all true:
  • We were godawful on offense the last 2 years.
  • We are still not great on offense this year, but slightly better.
  • Hurley isn't an offensive juggernaut coach and never has been.
  • We have 3 people who can shoot 3s and the other players still take a lot of 3s.
  • Tarin Smith is shooting worse on 3s than Antoine Anderson did. He's 1 for his last 16 from 3.
  • We don't shoot foul shots well, especially Polley and Smith.
  • But we also don't get fouled a lot.
  • Our talent is bad but good enough that we should be better on offense considering our guard talent + experience.
  • We commit too many turnovers considering our guard talent + experience.
  • The main things we do well on offense are get layups in transition off turnovers and rebound offensively against cupcakes.

Reaction Score
These things are all true:
  • We were godawful on offense the last 2 years.
  • We are still not great on offense this year, but slightly better

KenPom Offensive Ratings:

UConn
  • 2016-17: 154
  • 2017-18: 171
  • 2018-19: 94

First point is accurate, the second point I think is understating how much better the team is offensively this year and keep in mind that KenPom is still using preseason metrics in the calculation so that's partially based off an awful 2017-18 so theoretically should be higher.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I might be overeating
Don't be too hard on yourself. It's an increased possibility this time of year.

I can't possibly remember or name all I ate and drank last night during a neighborhood open house that went from before the game to a little more than after the game ended. I felt good enough to drive the 3 blocks home (arrived from a family outing to the Shore Line Trolley Museum) rather than walk it, and watched the replay on my phone until I fell asleep during the second half.

Later, I woke up to read stuff like this post. I'm glad I don't bet, like some who might be unhappy about losing against the spread.

A workout, some yoga Nidra meditation, whirlpool, steam, and sauna on Sunday should square you for Monday. At least that's my plan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last year this same team scored over 80 points in 3 games. This year after 11 games they are averaging over 80 points per game... soooooo....

Dan Hurley

Non-conf schedule rank of 323rd and 22nd in pace of possessions will do that for you.
Last year 40th and 236th.

Recipe for more points even if the offense is the same. It's not, it is better. But not close to where we need to be.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Non-conf schedule rank of 323rd and 22nd in pace of possessions will do that for you.
Last year 40th and 236th.

Recipe for more points even if the offense is the same. It's not, it is better. But not close to where we need to be.

You sound like a real mathematician. Too bad the eye test proves you wrong.

Reaction Score
You sound like a real mathematician. Too bad the eye test proves you wrong.

I would very much love for you to explain how the eye test proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
If anyone thinks THIS team under Ollie is 8-3 they Are lying . Remember the Boston win last year, think it was 52-50.....this game would have that result if no coaching change were made, no doubt. Hurley alone is good for +10 to +15 on any given night. An Ollie coached team loses the fsu game by 30 easily and barely out lastes Manhatten tonight.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I would very much love for you to explain how the eye test proves me wrong.

Because we aren't going to overtime against OOC schools like Columbia (8-19 last year) or Monmouth (11-20 last year). We are handling the bad teams.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If anyone thinks THIS team under Ollie is 8-3 they Are lying . Remember the Boston win last year, think it was 52-50.....this game would have that result from last year, no doubt. Hurley alone is good for +10 to +15 on any given night. An Ollie coached team loses the fsu game by 30 easily.

BINGO

Reaction Score
The offense Ollie ran the last two years was awful. Zero movement. Under Hurley you can tell the flow is so much better, even if they didn't shoot well today they got up good looks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom