One of the worst UCONN offensive teams ever! (and they've never been to the moon) | The Boneyard

One of the worst UCONN offensive teams ever! (and they've never been to the moon)

Reaction Score
We are better on defense than last year but we look lost offensively when Jalen is not firing on all cylinders. AG is inconsistent and he still over penetrates. Vital gives great effort but still takes some bad shots. Polley is still soft and if he can't hit his outside shot he becomes invisible. Train Smith is an awful outside shooter. Our bigs are just not good offensively to compete at the top level. The one hope is Willson. He has the tools if he can develop his midrange shot. I hope he get more time as the season develops. It really is sad to see the lack of offensive talent on the team especially up front.

Reaction Score
Maybe it is my expectations but our offense is just very stagnant and too much one on one. Gilbert or adams going one one one. We don't have the shooters either so we will have to grind out games to win. I'm happy with Wilson showing some of his NBA physical talent. He has a chance to be really special for us.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe it is my expectations but our offense is just very stagnant and too much one on one. Gilbert or adams going one one one. We don't have the shooters either so we will have to grind out games to win. I'm happy with Wilson showing some of his NBA physical talent. He has a chance to be really special for us.

Yeah, it’s your expectations.

Reaction Score
If our good offensive games against bad competition shouldn’t count, why should the bad offensive games?
Because, it seems like our offense is going backwards instead of forward. Just my opinion. I'm worried about the Villanova game next week. Hopefully we play a lot better against Drexel. At least the defense and effort is there which we couldn't say last year.

Reaction Score
One bad offensive game and you jump ship so quick? Let me guess. Your favorite football team happens to change every year right around when the Super Bowl is played.

Reaction Score
Through 11 games I can definitely say the team is better than last year. The players are giving full effort and they seem to be better coached.

But you have to honestly admit that there still is a lack of overall talent and basketball IQ on the team. That's going to take a while to improve. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reaction Score
People seem to think that KO didn't teach offense. He did.

He wasn't necessarily good at it, but the players are what they are. A team that was under .500 two straight years, while playing in the American, maybe isn't a Sweet 16 team with the addition of

(1) a very good player who hasn't played meaningful minutes in 3 years.
(2) an unheralded but probably underrated freshman.
(3) a very good A10 bench player.
(4) and athletic, often injured, offensively challenged grad transfer.
(5) a top 100 player who hasn't played in over a year, and was suspended for 1/6 of the year.

People getting really upset or surprised by these results seem to have believed, as Hurley jokingly put it, that life is like The Mighty Ducks.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Because, it seems like our offense is going backwards instead of forward. Just my opinion. I'm worried about the Villanova game next week. Hopefully we play a lot better against Drexel. At least the defense and effort is there which we couldn't say last year.

So, we should only count the games that feed into your narrative? Cool.

Reaction Score
People seem to think that KO didn't teach offense. He did.

He wasn't necessarily good at it, but the players are what they are. A team that was under .500 two straight years, while playing in the American, maybe isn't a Sweet 16 team with the addition of

(1) a very good player who hasn't played meaningful minutes in 3 years.
(2) an unheralded but probably underrated freshman.
(3) a very good A10 bench player.
(4) and athletic, often injured, offensively challenged grad transfer.

People getting really upset or surprised by these results seem to have believed, as Hurley jokingly put it, that life is like The Mighty Ducks.
I was in favor of moving on from Ollie but the team last year would have probably had the same record this point in the season. People forget that Ollie had to switch to zone bc Rique was injured. Didn’t have Sid either. We just are a sloppy team. But I think we won’t see serious dividends from Hurley’s coaching until we see his players that he recruited. Some buy in to culture straight from the start. Offensively we are better bc of the style change, a style the Ollie probably wanted to play but couldn’t. Is this a tourney team? In my opinion no. But it’s a process

Reaction Score
Because, it seems like our offense is going backwards instead of forward. Just my opinion. I'm worried about the Villanova game next week.
Progress isn't linear.

We're going to get beaten, almost certainly. We got blown out by a much worse Iowa team and were only quasi-competitive with the Florida State team that Villanova already beat.

But none of this is surprising.

Reaction Score
Progress isn't linear.

We're going to get beaten, almost certainly. We got blown out by a much worse Iowa team and were only quasi-competitive with the Florida State team that Villanova already beat.

But none of this is surprising.
I wouldn’t say we are gunna lose. Nova plays to there competition this year. UConn hasn’t played in 6 days. It was the last day of finals and if I had to guess, Jalen didn’t sleep at all maybe Bc of studying. Drexel will be better to play against Bc manhattan is just scrappy.

Reaction Score
shooting will be an issue with this team until we recruit some good shooters. ;0)

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say we are gunna lose. Nova plays to there competition this year. UConn hasn’t played in 6 days. It was the last day of finals and if I had to guess, Jalen didn’t sleep at all maybe Bc of studying. Drexel will be better to play against Bc manhattan is just scrappy.

Speaking of finals...The announcers said Polley took all his finals online. Doesn’t bother me but I wish that option existed when I was there.

Reaction Score
I kno we ve averaged 85-90 a game But I’m with thirdbass on this one- Don’t really like the way we been playing since the Zona game - things don’t really seem to be improving much- in fact, the Florida State game was pretty disappointing aside from the late flurry by Gilbert and tonight was just slop. Wilson is the one real positive to hang yer hat on past few Games and that’s still a small sample. Jalen 2 bad Games in a row, and everyoneone else is kinda blah to me since zona. Feel like we re kinda hitting a stagnant period. We had a week to improve off zona game for Florida State and I wasn’t impressed - and then we had another week to come out guns blazing verse Manhattan and actually regressed - hopefully next week - we step it up. I dunno , I know there’s going to be ups and downs but past few weeks have been disappointing

Reaction Score
Speaking of finals...The announcers said Polley took all his finals online. Doesn’t bother me but I wish that option existed when I was there.
yeah that would be awesome, take all your finals and classes on line, just show up for the parties!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom