Olympics US Women 3x3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olympics US Women 3x3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
USA network showing the USA-Russia game now. Russia out to an early lead.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USA network showing the USA-Russia game now. Russia out to an early lead.
Back on main NBC channel with the funny announcers. Missing KLS. Her height as a guard would have been very helpful defensively on ROC big guards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice push from the USA guards in the second half for a gutsy win. Grey is a really good rebounder, quick grabs right among the ROC trees.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Wins 20-16 in a Tough Physical Game. They remain undefeated and beat previously unbeaten Russia

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I
USA Wins 20-16 in a Tough Physical Game. They remain undefeated and beat previously unbeaten Russia
China may be a good test. Dismantled France 20-13 in game prior. There post is pretty big and somewhat skillful.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Russian team is very tough, and experienced in 3x3. US had trouble early defending the off-ball screening action and also got beat in some quick transitions. Russia had the hot hand in Kozik and led for about 6 minutes before the US pulled ahead for good.

Gray and Dolson were the stars in this game. Gray had a ton of rebounds and several great defensive plays. Stef was unstoppable when she could go to work 1x1 on a defender. Plum had some nice drives but was ice cold from outside. Young had a couple nice finishes at the rim and I thought was solid on defense.

Reaction Score
I've watched all 4 games. I think I can safely say, at this point, that Dolson has been the most consistent performer and probably MVP.

Reaction Score
Finally able to catch a glimpse of a game! Team USA looked sharp down the stretch. Once Plum is locked in, nobody stopping Team USA. Dolson is built for this style of game. Her fundamentals are perfect. Team USA has a solid squad.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hope Kara explains to Plum that those silly 3 (2) pt efforts to finish the game using no time makes no sense when all you have to do is run the clock out and force them to foul you. Might have given them some life at the end. It seems to be a common disease in 3 x 3 to try to finish the game with a deep 2 pt shot.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I

China may be a good test. Dismantled France 20-13 in game prior. There post is pretty big and somewhat skillful.

Chiina will probably be a good test but not because they beat France. France has underachieved in this tournament as they have already lost three games. I don't see France coming out of the quarter finals to reach the semi-finals. However, who knows as this is a competitive tournament. The China game will be important as Team USA wants to be the overall #1 Seed and be a lock for a Semi-Final Game.. The Japan vs China Game is also an important game as the loser will most likely have to play in one of the play-in games.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I hope Kara explains to Plum that those silly 3 (2) pt efforts to finish the game using no time makes no sense when all you have to do is run the clock out and force them to foul you. Might have given them some life at the end. It seems to be a common disease in 3 x 3 to try to finish the game with a deep 2 pt shot.
I don't know if it is the case in the Olympics, but in the qualifiers, in Europe, total points were a factor for tie breaking purposes. Thus those last second three/two point attempts are not looked down on. In a one or two point game you don't do it, but a 4 point game differential, as was the case in the US v ROC game, you might.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just watched the France game on replay. It was a close game until about 3 minutes left. France could not get their outside shots to fall.

FWIW I think Young is a great choice for the replacement among the players that were available. In 3x3 you need someone with a motor, versatile on offense and a tenacious defender, and she ticks all those boxes. Aside from the matchup problems when Stef goes out of the game, I like the roster. Jackie will get more comfortable with each game, and it can't hurt that she's Plum's teammate on the Aces.
I hate to say it, but I think Diamond Deshields would have been a better choice. Bigger, stronger, more athletic than Young, but also with a competent 3 point shot.

I couldn't find the list of the pool they had to choose from. Obviously Lou was the best choice, but her bad luck took her off the team. On UCONN's current team, a player like Poffenbarger or Ducharme would have been a great choice as well (obviously not nearly experienced or talented enough at this point), but a player 6'2" or 6'3" with a Lou-type game.

Dolson and Gray are the 2 best on the team so far, but I think Plum is a great choice too. They all bring something different and complement each other well.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think Diamond Deshields would have been a better choice. Bigger, stronger, more athletic than Young, but also with a competent 3 point shot.

I couldn't find the list of the pool they had to choose from. Obviously Lou was the best choice, but her bad luck took her off the team. On UCONN's current team, a player like Poffenbarger or Ducharme would have been a great choice as well (obviously not nearly experienced or talented enough at this point), but a player 6'2" or 6'3" with a Lou-type game.

Dolson and Gray are the 2 best on the team so far, but I think Plum is a great choice too. They all bring something different and complement each other well.
Diamond Deshields has regressed. She is athletic but her three pt shooting this year is horrendous. She is not a team player.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't believe DeShields was eligible. Of the players mentioned in this tweet, I think Young was the best choice as a plug-and-play last-second replacement.

Reaction Score
I believe they shoot 3's (earns 2 points), when they have a score of 20 in a 21 point game is, because the tie breaker is total points scored. I know for the last few 3×3 international competitions, that the USA team has participated in, they routinely shot a 3 when they were sitting at 20.

Reaction Score
Saw a delay of the Mongolia game. Plum hit a couple behind the arc and had a couple nice drives, but she had some horrible shots. One wide open 3 was an airball and was way off line, another 3 from the corner hit the side of the backboard. Ouch.

Yeah, Young clearly hasn't gotten the hang of 3X3 ball so far. I would think she'd be able to drive at will for layups or pull up 5-10 footers.

Reffing is very relaxed. I saw all kinds of traveling that wasn't called, fouls had to be really egregious. Steff stepped on the sideline trying to save a long rebound, no call. On one jump ball, one of the Mongolia players was standing behind Plum, had her in a bear hug the whole time the loose ball scrum was going on. That's a whole lot of contact for no foul call. To their credit the players kept the complaining to a minimum, just played ball.
I think Young is the only other professional that had enough points to be able to participate and it had been a little bit because she wasn't on the core team to qualify. I think she'll get the hang of it again quickly enough - it's a tough situation.

The reffing is interesting - wayyyy relaxed in 3 on 3 but I like it. Keeps the pace of play fast. I noticed one thing in the men's game last night - the level of physicality allowed probably takes some getting used to. These are obviously great players but the NBA rules (compared to international) allows them to put up some of the gaudy numbers they do. I think it's less of a problem in the women's game because our players are used to playing overseas with that level of physicality. D will thrive. :)

Reaction Score
I don't believe DeShields was eligible. Of the players mentioned in this tweet, I think Young was the best choice as a plug-and-play last-second replacement.

Thanks for sharing this. I knew the other possible options were limited but I couldn't recall who. I'm surprised there were that many and agree entirely that Young was the best choice.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this. I knew the other possible options were limited but I couldn't recall who. I'm surprised there were that many and agree entirely that Young was the best choice.
Plus she was in Vegas where they were holding training camp. Since it was a last minute deal we were lucky to have her.

Reaction Score
Why not choice Tiffany Hayes to replace KLS? Just one thought :).

Reaction Score
When Dolson plays in an offense with great spacing...it just emphasizes her talent. Haven't seen a big this effective with passing and screening in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom