Olympic Opening Ceremony | The Boneyard

Olympic Opening Ceremony

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching the opening ceremony this morning, I am struck by a couple things. Of course there are no fans, everyone is wearing masks and teams are walking into the stadium in a somewhat disorganized manner.

But what strikes me most is that many of the athletes and teams are celebrating joyously as they enter the stadium, as if just getting to these Olympics is like winning a gold medal. I know that there are mixed emotions about holding these Games during a pandemic. Personally, I am happy for all the athletes that have worked incredibly hard to get to Tokyo.

Looking forward to watching Sue lead the US team into the Olympic stadium.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
US will enter as a future host just in front of Japan who enters last.

For the glory of Sport.
I assume that is correct. But I note that the Japanese alphabet is considerably different than ours, so the nations are entering the stadium in a strange order to Westerners. For instance, after Greece, the next two nations were Iceland & Ireland.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
US wins the gold medal for ugliest outfits which you can purchase at your local Target.
For the record, the “eco-friendly” US Olympic clothes were once again designed by Ralph Lauren. The company has frequently designed US clothing in past Olympics, and frequently been criticized for their sartorially creations.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
US coming in. Have to appreciate the large contingent, in no organized fashion, coming into the stadium cheering “USA, USA!” Sue and Eddie Alvarez both mic’d up for the occasion to contribute their thoughts as co-flag bearers on the occasion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Oh My! Yes, whoever said "Gold medal for ugliest uniforms", even without seeing any other team, I tend to agree. They look like they are dressed for a bad redneck BBQ. Whoever said "Garanimals", LOL!!!! But no matchey! Girraffe for the bottom, and Zebra/Horse for the top!

Having said that, I do like that they put white jackets on Sue and Eddie...

Side note, I live in LA and while I want to retire back to San Diego, I have committed to stay here thru the 2028 Olympics. I am so excited about that - how many people can say in their lifetime they lived in a city that hosted an Olympics? It will be so cool!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oh My! Yes, whoever said "Gold medal for ugliest uniforms", even without seeing any other team, I tend to agree. They look like they are dressed for a bad redneck BBQ. Whoever said "Garanimals", LOL!!!! But no matchey! Girraffe for the bottom, and Zebra/Horse for the top!

Having said that, I do like that they put white jackets on Sue and Eddie...

Side note, I live in LA and while I want to retire back to San Diego, I have committed to stay here thru the 2028 Olympics. I am so excited about that - how many people can say in their lifetime they lived in a city that hosted an Olympics? It will be so cool!!
I attended the many events during the 1984 Olympic Games here in Los Angeles. If I’m still here in 2028, I’ll double my pleasure. I plan on going to as many events as I can (especially USA basketball and track and field). If Simone Biles is still participating, seeing her in person is a must. Tomorrow is not promised.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The US apparel has always been ridiculous. The only worse examples are the US Ryder Cup shirts (golf). It's like all that matters to the committee is that they stand out. The Ryder Cup shirts are marketed at golf courses and in my life I've never met anyone wearing or even buying one. Horizontal stripes aren't a good look for many middle-aged men. :(

Reaction Score
The US apparel has always been ridiculous. The only worse examples are the US Ryder Cup shirts (golf). It's like all that matters to the committee is that they stand out. The Ryder Cup shirts are marketed at golf courses and in my life I've never met anyone wearing or even buying one. Horizontal stripes aren't a good look for many middle-aged men. :(
No wonder US Olympic apparel is so ugly ...

When it comes to Team USA, the answer is: Ralph Lauren, but also… Kim Kardashian? Yep; the celebrity-turned-Skims founder will be supplying some of the skivvies that your favorite sports stars will sport in Tokyo this summer, while Lauren’s eponymous label is once again decking out America’s most elite athletes for the Olympics’ Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom