Old but famous bands today; worth seeing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Old but famous bands today; worth seeing?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I remember seeing the Doors, Kinks, and Beach Boys at Dillon Stadium for 6 bucks. LOLA, L O L A LOLA!!!!

I was hoping for a Kinks reunion until about 10 years ago. Much as I love 'em, I likely wouldn't pay for a ticket today. Ray can't bring it anymore as a Kink. Dave isn't what he was pre-stroke. I would, however, see either solo (btw, Dave is in Hartford on 4/6).

It's kind of fitting that their last performance of note was Hatred on the Tonight Show.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'd love to go see Neil Young or Bob Dylan, but not sure what they're like these days.

I saw Willie Nelson a couple of years back and he still had his trademark voice. Couldn't really strum the guitar in a rhythm, but he was fun to see.
Key thing is band vs. artist backed by band. Potential for clash of egos & multiple declining capacities vs. someone having something to say across the span of a lifetime.

When I last saw Willie Nelson, his guitar playing had zero virtuoso finesse but was remarkably artful. Neil Young similarly has been a master of milking the same few notes as jazz pianist Mal Waldron was. For more than half a century, Dylan has continually refashioned his songs, along with an ever-evolving 'voice' that pairs with crackerjack bands. All are worthwhile.
Of bands recreating their classic sound, I've got no real interest, although The Who at 2/4 strength have the most important 2, and The Stones will know when to stop.

Reaction Score
Couple years back saw the Original James Gang with Joe Walsh at Red Rocks. Also saw CSNY there a while back. Both shows were outstanding.
Very envious of that James Gang show, how was it? Finally saw my first Red Rocks show last year, Tedeschi Trucks Band. What an amazing venue that was. I'm seriously considering moving to Colorado this summer, do you live there now?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Key thing is band vs. artist backed by band. Potential for clash of egos & multiple declining capacities vs. someone having something to say across the span of a lifetime.

When I last saw Willie Nelson, his guitar playing had zero virtuoso finesse but was remarkably artful. Neil Young similarly has been a master of milking the same few notes as jazz pianist Mal Waldron was. For more than half a century, Dylan has continually refashioned his songs, along with an ever-evolving 'voice' that pairs with crackerjack bands. All are worthwhile.
Of bands recreating their classic sound, I've got no real interest, although The Who at 2/4 strength have the most important 2, and The Stones will know when to stop.

Good to know. I'll always remember leaving Willie's concert and walking to the car as he played 'Roll me up and smoke me when i die.' Concert was in Simsbury on the lawn, maybe some other yarders were there

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was hoping for a Kinks reunion until about 10 years ago. Much as I love 'em, I likely wouldn't pay for a ticket today. Ray can't bring it anymore as a Kink. Dave isn't what he was pre-stroke. I would, however, see either solo (btw, Dave is in Hartford on 4/6).

It's kind of fitting that their last performance of note was Hatred on the Tonight Show.
Who else here saw Ray Davies' "Storyteller" tour in 1997. To quote JC, that was "special."

Reaction Score
I saw Milli Vanilli recently. Sounded just like I remembered, pretty remarkable really. White Town opened for them. Great time!
Fitting since at least one of them is dead. I imagine a weekend at Bernie’s type of thing

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest, U2 and Springsteen are old and they’re worth every penny. Saw U2 last May and went to Springsteen’s last tour. Never sat down and had the time of my life at both.. saw The Eagles before Frey passed on, but can’t get myself to go now..

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Good to know. I'll always remember leaving Willie's concert and walking to the car as he played 'Roll me up and smoke me when i die.' Concert was in Simsbury on the lawn, maybe some other yarders were there
That's where I last saw him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dave Davies is at the Norfolk Infinity on 4/6.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Who else here saw Ray Davies' "Storyteller" tour in 1997. To quote JC, that was "special."

Me, in Stamford.

I was single at the time and seated next to an attractive single lady. I figured that would be enough on its own to get a date. Apparently not.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest, U2 and Springsteen are old and they’re worth every penny. Saw U2 last May and went to Springsteen’s last tour. Never sat down and had the time of my life at both.. saw The Eagles before Frey passed on, but can’t get myself to go now..
Yeah, Springsteen too, though I haven't been much of a fan for decades, and probably U2, though 10-15 years ago I would have most loved seeing them.

Reaction Score
Jalen could use Springsteen’s conditioning coach. How someone his age can expend that much energy night after night is remarkable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'll probably see Dead & Company when they visit Hartford this year...looking forward to that one. Happy to see they have good reviews. Wonder how @August_West feels about it
Seen all the Dead spin offs
The Dead, Further, Dead and Company as well as Phill and Bobby's bands
Have to admit that I am enjoying the current Dead & Co. line-up and have seen them 8 times
Rat Dog had some really good line-ups and runs
Nothing like the Grateful Dead - of well
If you want to call them old - Gov't Mule is still wonderful
The Hot Tuna acoustics with Jorma and Jack still leave me smiling

Reaction Score
Yeah, Springsteen too, though I haven't been much of a fan for decades, and probably U2, though 10-15 years ago I would have most loved seeing them.
Even if you are not a fan of Bruce’s new stuff which is mediocre, his live shows still are amazing. He plays a lot of old stuff and always a few surprises. I need to see him on Broadway.

Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Even if you are not a fan of Bruce’s new stuff which is mediocre, his live shows still are amazing. He plays a lot of old stuff and always a few surprises. I need to see him on Broadway.

I've seen Bruce 3x. The River Tour show at MSG is my 1a live concert of all time. The other two - the Rising tour and one after that - wouldn't crack my top 20. I just don't care. That stuff was new, different and meant something 30-40 years ago. Doesn't move my needle now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah I was there and I've seen WN 5 times and each time his ability has gone down a bit - but he is still Willie
Saw him the first time in 1983 (or was it 1984? a little cloudy)- it was unreal

Reaction Score
Very envious of that James Gang show, how was it? Finally saw my first Red Rocks show last year, Tedeschi Trucks Band. What an amazing venue that was. I'm seriously considering moving to Colorado this summer, do you live there now?
Saw Tedeschi Trucks with Gary Clark Jr at Red Rocks. I moved out here from Ct 21 years ago. Jobs are plentiful, although real estate is outrageous.
Also went on a Blues cruise with Tedeschi Trucks as the headliner. Got to meet them and spend a little time with them.
James Gang was great. All James Gang tunes except Rocky Mountain Way.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Blue Oyster Cult is playing soon near me and I was wondering about going.

Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma are still in the band, and still make it worthwhile to see them live, Buck especially. The younger guitarist in the band (Richie) is pretty impressive too. The classics will be played, along with a few others that may not have made the live albums, such as the Golden Age of Leather. Recommended, but don't expect the Blue Oyster Cult of old with the Bouchard brothers, and Allen Lanier (RIP).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom