Old but famous bands today; worth seeing? | The Boneyard

Old but famous bands today; worth seeing?

Reaction Score

Blue Oyster Cult is playing soon near me and I was wondering about going. But, are any of these famous bands still worth seeing? The band itself may be all new people. I know some of BOC songs, the "Don't Fear the Reaper" one got way overplayed for me, but Cities on Flame, Godzilla, Hot Rails to Hell are cool. Online fans say their live shows are great and as a rock band goes, BOC is really underrated.

Still, has anyone seen newer incarnations of classic rock bands, and are the shows worth it?

Reaction Score
They never compare with the original acts. Judas Priest lost both original guitarists for their present tour. Decided against going.

Reaction Score
I saw Maiden in Mansfield MA a few years ago ... definitely worth it. Although I've never been particularly impressed with Janick Gers, he gives them that 3rd guitar sound that enhances the live performance. I even took my teenage kids and they had a great time too.

Reaction Score
Saw EW&F two years ago at Tanglewood, when they had 3 original members remaining. Turned it out, they added one of the member's son. They are one of those groups that you can sing every song, which to me is important for longevity.

My daughter (26 at the time) who didn't know or care for them, never sat down, they are that good!

Reaction Score
Saw the Who last March. Only 2 originals. And they are old. Well I was so pleasantly surprised. Going to see ELO later this year....Tickets ain't cheap. I remember seeing the Doors, Kinks, and Beach Boys at Dillon Stadium for 6 bucks. LOLA, L O L A LOLA!!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not something I'd spend money on. But to each his own.

I'd also draw a distinction between seeing a bunch of 70-year olds playing as a band vs. a solo artist with backing instrumentation. Case in point would be someone like Frampton. You don't go to hear the hits from FCA. You go for all the other stuff he plays. He's a much better guitarist than generally given credit for, and he still looks like he's having fun instead of collecting a paycheck.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Just recently saw the Classics IV and the Box Tops in the same show. Both did well. And yes, these guys are in their mid 60's but can still play.

Reaction Score
Cheap Trick was good even though it was "free" with the price of admission to the Norwalk Oyster Festival.

Is Pearl Jam counted? Still as good live as ever even without Eddie climbing the light scaffolding.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cheap Trick was good even though it was "free" with the price of admission to the Norwalk Oyster Festival.

+1 on Cheap Trick. Robin Zander can still sing.

I was also darn near blown away by Toto when I caught them recently. Steve Lukather is a great guitarist. They even did a Robin Trower cover.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'd love to go see Neil Young or Bob Dylan, but not sure what they're like these days.

I saw Willie Nelson a couple of years back and he still had his trademark voice. Couldn't really strum the guitar in a rhythm, but he was fun to see.

Reaction Score
I'd love to go see Neil Young or Bob Dylan, but not sure what they're like these days.

I saw Willie Nelson a couple of years back and he still had his trademark voice. Couldn't really strum the guitar in a rhythm, but he was fun to see.
Several years ago< I saw BB King. He had just turned 83. He relegated much of the show to his band. I was fearful of seeing Willie the next night because he was 75. He killed it for 2 plus hours at Red Rocks. The opening act was Billy Bob Thornton. He had top notch musicians, but was mediocre at best.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score

Neil is still pretty great. He's been playing with Willie Nelson's sons for the past few years but didn't tour in 2017. Still puts on a killer show imo.

As for Bob- go just so you can see a legend.

Reaction Score

I have seen Dylan numerous times. Rolling Thunder review was epic. Saw him in Winter Park Co, and a few years back saw him with Amos Lee and Merle Haggard.........not recently though.

Reaction Score
Neil is still pretty great. He's been playing with Willie Nelson's sons for the past few years but didn't tour in 2017. Still puts on a killer show imo.

As for Bob- go just so you can see a legend.

I was pleasantly surprised by Joan Jett....she held up well

Had to check the Stones off my bucket list some years ago...energetic show with Jagger prancing and screeching in spandex...but their live music sounded nothing like the album...

Reaction Score
+1 on Cheap Trick. Robin Zander can still sing.

I was also darn near blown away by Toto when I caught them recently. Steve Lukather is a great guitarist. They even did a Robin Trower cover.
Too bad 2 of the 3 Hartford guys are dead. They used to watch me ball up near Bowles Park, where they lived.

Reaction Score
By old I assume you mean bands in their 60s and older. I had the same positive experience with Daltrey and Townshend a few years back. I expected Roger's voice to be a weak spot but he was surprisingly good that night. The backing band was Simon Townshend and Ringo's son Zach Starkey was fantastic. Was able to knock the top artist off my bucket list last year when I saw Clapton at The Garden. He sounded fantastic but he's been playing a fairly static setlist the past 4 years or so. Was so happy to see him but for $230 for a 200 level seat, I wouldn't do it again unless he changes up his setlist. Here's my list of other older artists I've seen the past 5 years.

Steely Dan-No Becker anymore but still a great show. Fagan stayed within his vocal range, great overall musicianship

Petty and Heartbreakers-Fortunate to see them before Tom passed, especially in their home state of Florida. Mike Campbell is one of my favorite guitar players, hope he stays active.

Dead and Company-With Mayer I've seen them three times, he and Oteil Burbridge have really energized the band, I highly recommend them. Mayer has really stepped into the Jerry role and been a perfect fit.

Van Halen-Eddie is clean and playing great. If Dave stays within his now limited range they're good to see, especially since ticket prices are pretty reasonable.

Pearl Jam-Current top bucket list band, excited to be seeing them Labor Day Weekend at Fenway

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
By old I assume you mean bands in their 60s and older. I had the same positive experience with Daltrey and Townshend a few years back. I expected Roger's voice to be a weak spot but he was surprisingly good that night. The backing band was Simon Townshend and Ringo's son Zach Starkey was fantastic. Was able to knock the top artist off my bucket list last year when I saw Clapton at The Garden. He sounded fantastic but he's been playing a fairly static setlist the past 4 years or so. Was so happy to see him but for $230 for a 200 level seat, I wouldn't do it again unless he changes up his setlist. Here's my list of other older artists I've seen the past 5 years.

Steely Dan-No Becker anymore but still a great show. Fagan stayed within his vocal range, great overall musicianship

Petty and Heartbreakers-Fortunate to see them before Tom passed, especially in their home state of Florida. Mike Campbell is one of my favorite guitar players, hope he stays active.

Dead and Company-With Mayer I've seen them three times, he and Oteil Burbridge have really energized the band, I highly recommend them. Mayer has really stepped into the Jerry role and been a perfect fit.

Van Halen-Eddie is clean and playing great. If Dave stays within his now limited range they're good to see, especially since ticket prices are pretty reasonable.

Pearl Jam-Current top bucket list band, excited to be seeing them Labor Day Weekend at Fenway

I'll probably see Dead & Company when they visit Hartford this year...looking forward to that one. Happy to see they have good reviews. Wonder how @August_West feels about it

Reaction Score
Let me add to this. You guys have live blues in Connecticut. Legends playing regularly, for little money.
Guys like Popa Chubby, Walter Trout, Ronnie Baker Brooks, Tab Benoit, among others for around 20 bucks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom