OK, Who got ripped the worst? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OK, Who got ripped the worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just saying that complaining that Louisville not playing Uconn closer means they were not worthy of a two seed is bogus if the other 'two seeds' (and I think Stanford should have been a #1) Uconn played didn't come any closer. Heck, losing to Uconn by 20 is about the equivalent of beating TN by 5 or LSU by 15 in my mind!:rolleyes::cool:

Okay, makes sense.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not sure that any team got screwed over worse than WVU, even though they got the #2 seed. Playing first two games in LSU's area and then pointed at a round 3 meeting at Louisville versus the Cardinals.

Louisville definitely came out the best with the shaft job of a potential #1 seed turned to a #3 seed that Jeff will use to the max in a home environment. Last year they were pushed back to a #5 seed (another ESPN goof misstatement last night when they conveniently forgot where the NC game run came from), and this year Walz will again have the chip ready to stick on some shoulders.

Massey is the ratings service with a sensible SOS service, one that has UConn rated #2 instead of #19 in RPI or at #50 in Sagarin, whose SOS is dumb even if he pulls together a good composite. The SEC apologists over here will tell you the SEC was the best conference (absolute joke, the only team that beat anyone good OOC from December on was KY, who also lost to a lot of turkeys), but Massey pushes the SEC pretender teams' SOS far back from the RPI that certain posters here love. South Carolina is a #30 SOS in Massey, but the poor despised Louisville SOS is at #12. And of course neither UTenn or SC would have received #1 seeds, or in the Gamecocks case even a #2 seed. Teams like Georgia and Vanderbilt would have likely been on the outside without the sweeter SOS they can pull from brain-dead RPI.

But it's always entertaining to see the conniptions that fans use to argue for their team and conferences, an exercise that always blows consistency to the winds and makes some of them from certain conferences to the south go running for RPI stats. The SEC apologists try to hang their teams' laurels around KY, who had a lot of bad and mediocre losses to go with the good wins, only one of which at UTenn was a true road game, though the Baylor game neutral court status was suspect. Conference champs South Carolina either had weak schedules or like UTenn piled up more losses than any #1 seed has had during this decade. So the weak schedules are alright for teams like USCar but not alright for a Louisville. If the Cardinals 1-4 record against top 25 Sagarin teams is so bad with the three losses to UConn, how does USCar's 2-4 record rate anything close to a #1 seed? And as always, the inconvenient bad losses to an Alabama, or a home loss to LSU, or a home loss to Arkansas, or a home loss to #225 Sagarin team Illinois State (????????) and all the other pieces of drek-detritus of an SEC season are all swept aside by the SEC apologists because despite it all, everything smells good and by golly they deserve to have 8 mainly mediocre teams in the tourney. Boggling.

Obviously the committee is still very much in the hands of the SEC old-girl club, but despite their best efforts, the end results is likely to be a sixth straight year with no SEC teams surviving to the FF.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Obviously the committee is still very much in the hands of the SEC old-girl club, but despite their best efforts, the end results is likely to be a sixth straight year with no SEC teams surviving to the FF.

Only 60 games to go to find out whether your analysis turns out correctly or not! :)

It is interesting about allegiance to conferences. I know that up until this year, I was proud that the Big East did so well in both men's and women's basketball, I guess in part because it made Connecticut's accomplishments all that sweeter, in part just general tribal mentality.

This year my pride and emotion has strictly been limited to the Huskies with very little feeling towards the AAC. Hadn't thought much about this until now but I guess this means I'm quietly in the camp of those hoping our stay in the AAC is short-lived.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well, the AAC certainly got the whack job in both tournaments this year as mediocre conferences get their poor middling teams in at the expense of the AAC's. It's not a great sign going forward, but it's the NCAA organization and not much you can do about it except play your heart out. Rutgers is off to the B10 so I can't work up much of a cheer for them in the NIT, but I do hope that USF uses the experience to get a multigame tourney experience that carries through to next year when they are likely #2 in the AAC. And yeah I do hope that the Cardinals take out UTenn for the second year in a row, even though the Vol fans will be sobbing that their Massey 7th rated team got jobbed by a Louisville team given a #3 seed even though Massey rates them 3rd best in the WCBB.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WVU better stock up on lube because they really are getting screwed. LSU at LSU, then UL at UL for a chance to meet 1 seed Tennessee, then 1 seed ND, then 1 seed UCONN.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thing to remember is, things never work out as they're supposed to by the seedings. Last year the UTenn fans were kicking up a howl because of a bracket that would eventually lead to having to play Baylor. Didn't work out that way, and instead they got the easiest of all runs through to a match against a lowly #5 seed in the Elite 8, a test they couldn't meet. WVU certainly appears to be the most screwed over, but you just don't know what will happen.

Reaction Score
Maybe not THE worst, but it's hard to imagine a justification for WVU in Tennessee's region and Baylor in ND's. Baylor should be higher ranked than WVU (won the head to head series, playing better at the end, won the tournament title), and should have been entitled to the Louisville region by both geography and s-curve. I know WVU doesn't have an easy road to the elite eight, but the bottom line is that Notre Dame is a massive road block in a way that Tennessee isn't.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe not THE worst, but it's hard to imagine a justification for WVU in Tennessee's region and Baylor in ND's. Baylor should be higher ranked than WVU (won the head to head series, playing better at the end, won the tournament title), and should have been entitled to the Louisville region by both geography and s-curve. I know WVU doesn't have an easy road to the elite eight, but the bottom line is that Notre Dame is a massive road block in a way that Tennessee isn't.

But Baylor did have a pitiful OOC schedule and a really bad in-conference loss. That probably weighed in WVU's favor, which it should have.

Reaction Score
But Baylor did have a pitiful OOC schedule and a really bad in-conference loss. That probably weighed in WVU's favor, which it should have.
West Virginia also had a pitiful OOC schedule and a bad loss to Ohio State (although granted it was the first game of the season and OSU did OK near the end). Neither had an impressive out of conference win, but was playing better at the end, and had the head to head series. Also, I think Baylor is better.

Reaction Score
It might not matter, but I think Albany is better than a 15 seed. Last years tournament they played UNC tough in a first round 14-3 match up in Delaware. This year they went 28-4 and in December were down by 8 at halftime at duke, not to bad. I am not saying they will beat West Virginia in the First round, but they have talent and it might be closer then some may think.

Albany is my Upset Special, Baby! (Elite Eight against ND)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Did Louisville get "screwed" as a three seed? Likely.
Did Louisville getting the three seed and not having to have UConn and Notre Dame in its Regional turn out better? Absolutely.

Did Stanford get "screwed" as a two seed? Probably, based on the resume, especially in the non-conference.
Did Stanford get "screwed" by having to go to Ames, Iowa for a second round game, potentially facing Iowa State (believe on its home floor)? Definitely.
Did Stanford getting the two seed, not having to play UConn and Notre Dame in its Regional, and getting to host South Carolina, the most vulnerable of the four top seeds, on its home floor turn out better? Absolutely.

Did South Carolina have the resume for a #1 seed? Maybe.
Was there another team more deserving of a #1 seed? Probably.
Did South Carolina benefit from getting the #1 seed by having to travel three time zones away for all of its games, playing in Seattle, Washington and Palo Alto, California (Maples Pavilion, no less)? Absolutely not.

Reaction Score
Did Louisville getting the three seed and not having to have UConn and Notre Dame in its Regional turn out better? Absolutely.

Did Stanford get "screwed" as a two seed? Probably, based on the resume, especially in the non-conference.
Did Stanford get "screwed" by having to go to Ames, Iowa for a second round game, potentially facing Iowa State (believe on its home floor)? Definitely.
Did Stanford getting the two seed, not having to play UConn and Notre Dame in its Regional, and getting to host South Carolina, the most vulnerable of the four top seeds, on its home floor turn out better? Absolutely.

Did South Carolina benefit from getting the #1 seed by having to travel three time zones away for all of its games, playing in Seattle, Washington and Palo Alto, California (Maples Pavilion, no less)? Absolutely not.

agree with all your pts Cam. But Stanford was never going to get UConn or ND in the Regionals in Palo Alto.

Reaction Score

Well put. I disagree a little bit about South Carolina though. If Stanford was a #1, South Carolina would be going to South Bend, going to Lincoln with UConn as the #1, going to Palo Alto as a #2 seed anyways, or going to the Louisville region where they could try to get past Louisville on their home floor and then Tenn.

I'd say their odds of getting to a final four are worse in all of those scenarios.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
agree with all your pts Cam. But Stanford was never going to get UConn or ND in the Regionals in Palo Alto.
Thing of it is, the "toughness" of a region is weighted to a certain extent by who has the biggest ogre in it, so for most top teams the Lincoln and South Bend ones were the ones to pray you didn't get dropped in. Even though the Louisville region has the best rated quad of teams, there are at least four teams there who have strong dreams of getting to the FF, and the four at Palo Alto feel even more relieved. So just about any fan has a halfway legit excuse for feeling their team got jobbed while also feeling pretty chipper overall.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree with Michelle Smith and Charlie Cream. Stanford. Not right. They were one and SC a three, and Louisville a 2. What do you think? Who else got it bad?
So Florida was a possession away from beating Louisville last game of the year. Most of their losses were without one or both of their star players. They are or were better than 3/4 of the teams in the Tmt ! They would have been a tough out. That was a sin IMO.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Los Angeles Sub Regional -NC State --Nebraska --BYU --Fresno state
By not putting, USC, Cal, Stanford, or even CS Northridge at Pauley Pavillion they might have assured that less than 1,000 people show up for the games.

Perhaps they can have a Mormon Convention at half time of the BYU game to supplement the attendance numbers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
By not putting, USC, Cal, Stanford, or even CS Northridge at Pauley Pavillion they might have assured that less than 1,000 people show up for the games.

Perhaps they can have a Mormon Convention at half time of the BYU game to supplement the attendance numbers.

I assume you mean 1,000 people total. per session .. or total for both saturday and monday sessions combined:eek:

Not sure what the record is for least attended sub-regional....... They had one in chapel hill a few years ago when UNC didnt make the field.. and they sent Duke to play in Nashville. Looking at the games on TV.... they must have had maybe 148 people per game........ and thats including the players, coaches, refs, scoreboard operators, et al :p

Reaction Score

No might about it, there will be less than 1,000 fans in LA.

Reaction Score
I was just saying that complaining that Louisville not playing Uconn closer means they were not worthy of a two seed is bogus if the other 'two seeds' (and I think Stanford should have been a #1) Uconn played didn't come any closer. Heck, losing to Uconn by 20 is about the equivalent of beating TN by 5 or LSU by 15 in my mind!:rolleyes::cool:
I think losing to UCONN by less than 15 should be considered a win and losing to them by more than fifteen should just be ignored. :cool:

6 TO GO

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
WVU better stock up on lube because they really are getting screwed. LSU at LSU, then UL at UL for a chance to meet 1 seed Tennessee, then 1 seed ND, then 1 seed UCONN.
ANY team not seeded number one would potentially have to play three #1 seeds, so the fact that WVU would have to do it is no big deal...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
West Virginia also had a pitiful OOC schedule and a bad loss to Ohio State (although granted it was the first game of the season and OSU did OK near the end). Neither had an impressive out of conference win, but was playing better at the end, and had the head to head series. Also, I think Baylor is better.
Baylor played a line-up of true nobodies plus KY and Uconn - WV on the other hand just played the nobodies unless you count OSU as somebody. And Baylor won the head to head 2-1. The only think WV had going for it was they lost a game to a slightly less dreadful Texas compared to Baylor's lost to Kansas.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ANY team not seeded number one would potentially have to play three #1 seeds, so the fact that WVU would have to do it is no big deal...

Baylor beat 3 number 1 seeds back in 2005 to take the title. But, they didn't have to beat two teams on their home court to get that opportunity.

Reaction Score

Did you mean to supply the number/name from the genealogy archive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom