Ok Lets move on what does it take to beat Stanford | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ok Lets move on what does it take to beat Stanford

Reaction Score
I love CD for the long term, but right now she still seems to be in a freshman slump that started when others came back from injuries and she got less playing time, and maybe less attention in practice and less time with the "first team". I think Geno has less confidence in her and unless she starts out 3 for 3 when he puts her in for a few minutes, he will pull her back out. Even though Evina was not shooting well against NC St, he used her in the fourth quarter. He has confidence in her, and she can still pull off those steals and race to the basket.
I agree. The shooting numbers are negligible between the two of them. Although CD has a little more height and is a very capable defender, I think E brings a bit more intensity, defense, and experience to the game. Depending on the foul situation though, if E is in at the 4 and keeps getting exploited, I think you've gotta think about CD. Also, E is a senior at this point and most else being equal, she's going to do everything she can not to lose again - a lot of that shows up in the intangibles too.

Reaction Score
Give Jones and Brink their 15. Dog Lexie Hull to keep her under 15. Ensure Wilson isn’t the difference. Edwards and Nelson-Ododa stay out of afoul trouble and we’ll be fine. Understand it’s a lot but everyone needs to step up on defense and minimize the open 3’s.

Reaction Score
Did you even watch DT? She didn't carry those teams to championships alone, she took over when needed but she DID make the people around her better. If she didn't, she probably wouldn't have won those last two. She's not one of the greatest passers in history because she's just a shooter.
Did you read your own post? "she took over when needed" - Dah.

Reaction Score
Apply pressure to their guards. Like Nika-level defense to anyone trying to run the point for Stanford. Close out in shooters (Hulls, Jump, etc.) and don’t foul in the paint—contest, but don’t foul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I just want to say the idea that Stanford will have the two best players on the court heading into this game is starting to feel a little disrespectful. I'm not sure if Azzi or PB are one's for bulletin board material but idk, ESPN has been making it sound so definitive in their articles.

Reaction Score
Did you read your own post? "she took over when needed" - Dah.
Wow. Did you even read YOUR own post? You literally talked about how Paige scoring early and often and then saying that DT would never pass up an open shot to "help" her teammates score. Nowhere did you say "in crunch time", which might have made more sense. Also, I'm pretty sure there isn't a shot DT doesn't think she can make. DT could have scored 30 per game if she wanted to (well, if she wasn't injured so much...that probably did limit her some) but she knew that wasn't going to win her a championship. Last year the team relied too much on Paige, which many folks have identified as a problem and something that's improved this year with all the injuries and expanded opportunities. No reason to revert back. Let her continue to be clutch but others have to get involved too.

Reaction Score
For UCONN our bigs (Liv and AE) cannot commit the early fouls and have to stay out of foul trouble all game. They must stay in the game especially since Dorka is out. It cannot be a repeat of the NC St game. Also CW has to continue to attack the basket. Her driving and attacking the basket helps her confidence with her mid range shooting. Paige and Azzi must continue to hit threes and the rest of the team must find a way to knock down their free throws. Defensively we must limit Hull from going on a run of threes. She's been on fire in the tournament. If we can get Brink in foul trouble and limit their guards we should be good. It's going to be a tough game again.

sun

Reaction Score
Stanford ranks 4th in blocks in the nation.
The refs are in charge of the game which will dictate how each team reacts.
The UConn defense has a way of lowering opponent scoring through their effort.

There will always be unexpected events that can help or hurt either team like fouls, a sprained ankle, nerves or the crowd.
Geno and Paige may have an extra trick play or two up their sleeve.
I don't expect a routine game, at some point there's going to be some fireworks because Stanford is not playing at home, and Paige will own the crowd.
Stanford may even get booed.
Maybe Geno will feel the need to get angry at the refs so they'll turn the game around.
It's pretty obvious how emotional he is this year, and he knows how to step it up to lobby for the team.

As usual, I think the keys to the game are making mid-range shots and 2nd chance points by rebounding.
UConn needs to play good defense and try to score in transition.
The details will work themselves out during the game.
But if a UConn player keeps getting their shots blocked going to the basket, or they keep missing their 3's, or making bad passes, then I expect that they're going to come out of the game to settle down.
Expect the unexpected, you can bet that Geno's prepared for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm curious, how would you control that?
Keep the ball in our guards hands 100%of the time. Do not pass the ball to ONO. If edwards is fouled, let her fake an injury so that a better bench player tales the foul shots. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Keep the ball in our guards hands 100%of the time. Do not pass the ball to ONO. If edwards is fouled, let her fake an injury so that a better bench player tales the foul shots. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
You're ridiculous!

Reaction Score
Stanford will attack Olivia, the fouls she committed last night were just leaving you scratching your head. Luckily for Uconn, Brink is also suffering getting into early foul trouble. She had 2 early in that Texas game and you could see how hard they struggled to manufacture offense without her. I just want to see Wilson guarding Paige, that is a matchup I have wanted.
But the Texas player Brink had to defend was like an NFL offensive tackle. Practically impossible to guard without fouling. Liv does not present that kind of problem. They are built much the same.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're ridiculous!
What will it take to beat Stanford? Great question. I think in order to beat Stanford, the team is going to need to play a discipline game. From shot selection, passing of the ball, rebounding, offensive and defensive sets. Run Stanford's shooters off the 3-point line. Mix up the defense from time to time. And lastly, with all that this team has been through this season, and I am sure other teams have gone through a lot as well, but this UConn squad of 2021-22 has been super impressive. Faced a ton and has grown. Continue to trust each other out there. Play for each other. Have each other's backs out there.

Go, UConn!!
To beat Stanford, we have to be better at every moment than we have so far been, and we have to make them worse than they have so far been:

1. We have to be the team that gets fouled, not the team that gets into foul trouble.
2. We have to be 90-100% at the foul line.
3. Our defense needs to be in top form, and it needs to create offense.
4. We need to be smart. ( e.g. No point driving to the hoop if there are big people are in the lane). We need to make quick, intelligent
decisions ( passing and shooting).
5. Everyone needs to make their shots.
6. If CD gets substantial minutes, she needs to be at the top of her game from minute one.
7. We cannot turn the ball over. No unforced errors.
8. DeBerry needs to score 20, have 10 rebounds and 7 blocks.

In other words, beating this defending champion is going to take an extraordinary performance. But we made it this far. It is possible. But Vegas will be favoring the Cardinal.

Reaction Score
UCONN has to defeat THREE #1 seeds to win the championship. It's a moot point, but if we had a choice, who would you rather play first? South Carolina or Stanford?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Nika should be stuck on Jones closer than her shadow.

I’ll take my chances after that?

Reaction Score
Free throw shooting
Expect the unexpected with what Stanford will throw at you and refs
Defense and rebounding
make 3s and defend 3s
look at this as opportunity and not pressure
listen to Geno and execute the game plan

Reaction Score
UCONN has to defeat THREE #1 seeds to win the championship. It's a moot point, but if we had a choice, who would you rather play first? South Carolina or Stanford?
I would choose Louisville, if it was wide open. I don't think we are as good as either Stanford or South Carolina. They will be in the finals. And South Carolina will win this time. Not to say UCONN can't pull off a surprise win. We can. But it will take an extraordinary performance.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly agree with you that Caroline needs more playing time in order to contribute more, but I can't say she's in Geno's doghouse. In fact he often praises Caroline. Please remember she's a freshman and we're in the throes of a national championship run... I would like to see Caroline get minutes against Standard because as you alluded to, I too believe she can be of value given Stanford's "tweener" lineup.
Has Geno said anything recently about Caroline? She played the better part of the second quarter against NC State and then vanished. I have heard no mention of her from the coach in theist few days. . I watched her carefully in the NC State game and, aside from missing that open three, she did pretty well. But coach has a way of narrowing things down as the tournament gets tighter. I do believe her size and length could be impactful against this tall Stanford team. But she ain't gonna get much time relieving Paige, AZZI or Williams. And Geno has more trust in Westbrook than CD. So there it is. We won't see her much. If at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom