Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame

Reaction Score
With ND bringing in another portal QB I wonder if Angeli will bail.

He is an East Coast kid. Maybe he wants to play closer to home?
He will compete for the job in spring and then probably transfer. I think he is better than duke transfer

Reaction Score
ND's days as part of the college football ultra-elite are over. I don't think they want to play the NIL and transfer portal game the way the top programs in the SEC and BiG do. Brien Kelly went to LSU for a reason.
They're poaching kids from their own league, or the league all their other teams play in.

Reaction Score
They're poaching kids from their own league, or the league all their other teams play in.
ND is starting to act like the SEC which regularly poaches from teams in their conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You have to be a sucker or a shark to bet on bowls with all the opt outs and coaching changes.
I don't bet on FB at all except for Nuzzi's pools. But people do, that's why these dopey bowl games exist. And like it said in the article I posted, American sports bettors are mostly suckers.

Reaction Score
ND's days as part of the college football ultra-elite are over. I don't think they want to play the NIL and transfer portal game the way the top programs in the SEC and BiG do. Brien Kelly went to LSU for a reason.
That is such an odd take when currently Kelly is complaining about the NIL and is getting massacred in the portal at LSU and Notre Dame has a better class than most of the SEC and all but one of the BIG10.

Reaction Score
The bowls should start paying kids to play. Not only would it bring the level up but it would probably eliminate some of the lower level bowls and make being a bowl team something that matters
This has me thinking. NIL was established to “share” college athletic profits with the actual on field performers.
Perhaps the distributions would be more earnestly distributed through the bowls. The teams and players would be incentivized to win by getting to bowl games. These bowl teams would receive a lump sum distributed based on playing time / contribution. Any player going into the portal before the bowl game forfeits their payout.
Would add a level of competition to the game.

Reaction Score

Yeah 10-3 in year they easily had a top 5 hardest schedule in college football is awful. And without their transfer portal QB they light up a pretty solid PAC12 team yesterday as well. Not sure they’re dead although I’m still not sure the head coach is the answer jury is out.

Reaction Score
This has me thinking. NIL was established to “share” college athletic profits with the actual on field performers.
Perhaps the distributions would be more earnestly distributed through the bowls. The teams and players would be incentivized to win by getting to bowl games. These bowl teams would receive a lump sum distributed based on playing time / contribution. Any player going into the portal before the bowl game forfeits their payout.
And 80% to the winners and 20% to the losers.

Reaction Score
No it wasn't. The NIL was never meant to do that.

Reaction Score
Yeah 10-3 in year they easily had a top 5 hardest schedule in college football is awful. And without their transfer portal QB they light up a pretty solid PAC12 team yesterday as well. Not sure they’re dead although I’m still not sure the head coach is the answer jury is out.
Competitors compete. ND will not go away quietly into the night.

Joe Theisman played HS fb at South River(NJ), I grew up in next town, rival of So River, and knew alot of folks in So River. Legend had it that while at ND, Theisman did not have an athletic scholarship, but had an office and a title(VP of something or other)) at a local bank in So Bend. The original NIL??

Reaction Score

ND was minus Sam Hartman at QB, Audric Estime at RB and minus its four top receivers.

ND had 19 players out for the Sun Bowl due to transfers and NFL declarations/opt outs. How many did Oregon State have?

ND's offensive coordinator had left for the Troy head coach job and ND had fired its wide receivers coach at the end of the regular season.

The truth is that ND was much deeper in talent than OSU was and it showed.

The Irish are 19-7 the past two years under Marcus Freeman, who is killing it in recruiting and in the transfer portal. (the latter a new thing at ND).

Freeman just hired Mike Denbrock from LSU as his new offensive coordinator.

ND took the coordinator from Brian Kelly's #1 offense in the country with a big $9 million, 4 year deal.

Defensive coordinator (top ten defense this year) Al Golden is reportedly going to sign a contract extension for big $$.

ND is 73-17 the past seven years, with two playoff bids, under two different coaches. If that is "dead", then every school but 5-6 are not rotting corpses, but skeletons.

The talk around ND is that the administration is all in with Freeman and have loosened some self imposed restrictions on football.

With a new school president and a new AD coming in, maybe ND will decide to reduce some other internal restrictions (core class recruit requirement, restricted undergrad transfers, etc.) as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

ND took the coordinator from Brian Kelly's #1 offense in the country with a big $9 million, 4 year deal.
What happens when Daniels doesn't come with him?

Reaction Score
ND was minus Sam Hartman at QB, Audric Estime at RB and minus its four top receivers.

ND had 19 players out for the Sun Bowl due to transfers and NFL declarations/opt outs. How many did Oregon State have?

ND's offensive coordinator had left for the Troy head coach job and ND had fired its wide receivers coach at the end of the regular season.

The truth is that ND was much deeper in talent than OSU was and it showed.

The Irish are 19-7 the past two years under Marcus Freeman, who is killing it in recruiting and in the transfer portal. (the latter a new thing at ND).

Defensive coordinator (top ten defense this year) Al Golden is reportedly going to sign a contract extension for big $$.

ND is 73-17 the past seven years, with two playoff bids, under two different coaches. If that is "dead", then every school but 5-6 are not rotting corpses, but skeletons.

The talk around ND is that the administration is all in with Freeman and have loosened some self imposed restrictions on football.

With a new school president and a new AD coming in, maybe ND will decide to reduce some other internal restrictions (core class recruit requirement, restricted undergrad transfers, etc.) as well.
I think notre dame is one of the very top programs that’s going to benefit from nil money. The reason for that being they have possibly the richest and largest alumni base. Maybe not In total population but look at notre dame grads average salary and family net worth compared to the SEC and you will see a huge gulf. I have heard crazy numbers thrown around for the nil trust that they are building. They were a very good team this year and I think the qb actually underperformed where we through the would end up

Reaction Score

Notre Dame absolutely is playing that game. They have turned the ACC into a QB farm system for them.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Looks like one team was successful as an independent

Reaction Score
I think notre dame is one of the very top programs that’s going to benefit from nil money. The reason for that being they have possibly the richest and largest alumni base. Maybe not In total population but look at notre dame grads average salary and family net worth compared to the SEC and you will see a huge gulf. I have heard crazy numbers thrown around for the nil trust that they are building. They were a very good team this year and I think the qb actually underperformed where we through the would end up
Maybe not in total population? Not even close. Less than 9000 enrollment. UCF has almost 60k. Texas A&M has 72k.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ND had 19 players out for the Sun Bowl due to transfers and NFL declarations/opt outs.
More evidence that the bowl system is dying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom