Notre Dame Matchup Problem With Maryland | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Matchup Problem With Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0403_1_muffet-mcgraw-alyssa-thomas-irish-team

I keep forgetting they played a 4 point game earlier this season. I would just as soon have Maryland prevail and meet a "whole" team in the final, assuming we can get by the Cardinal from down on the Farm.

McGraw is working it for as much as she can squeeze out of the underdog role.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_87649960-bb97-11e3-85d8-001a4bcf6878.html

Another about Reimer and the challenges she faces. Her year has been bumpy. http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_595e84ce-bb95-11e3-bdc7-001a4bcf6878.html

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think ND will have a very hard time because of the match ups without Achonwa.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think ND will have a very hard time because of the match ups without Achonwa.
Agreed, but of all the teams who could make it without a major piece of their team, ND seems uniquely suited to do so. Like Louisville, and Baylor especially, they just continue to have great runs every year. Lose Novasel and Peters? No problem. Lose Diggins the next year, no problem. This year they lose Achonwa and McBride, and yet I bet they are still the #2 team in the nation next year. BUT losing Achonwa at this time of the season is a big hurdle for them and gives Maryland a much better chance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rebecca made an interesting observation re that earlier contest - Natalie was in foul trouble and played only 3 minutes in the first half and the only number she recorded in the stat line was the '2' under PFs. It was the first half when ND built a 12 point lead. In the second half with Natalie playing 18 minutes she still only put up 7 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 TOs, and 1 more foul and Notre Dame lost 2/3 of the lead they had built.
That was not typical of the year and it will be a very different game I am sure, but it is an interesting note and a caution to reading too much into an earlier game.

Reaction Score
Not to be shrill, but clearly one must account for the zebras when analyzing this match-up.

Past experience (not only recent...) has proven they will be a factor, if not a significant one in determining the outcome here.

If Maryland tries to pound it inside to Alyssa Thomas (as they should), it is not unreasonable to posit she will be on the bench with fouls at some point in the first half.

I wonder what the over/under will be for charges in this game. ..

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think it will come down to ND's back court vs Maryland's front court.

Maryland has a lot of post players that could wear down Reimer! Easily.

However, ND has McBride and Loyd who can drive to the basket and draw fouls which could put ND at the line and Maryland's front line on the bench.

Gotta go with ND.

Should be a fun game though!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Interesting (to me at least) that each of David's latest Dishn & Swishn guests picked ND to beat Maryland in this semi, despite the loss of Achonwa.

Panelists were D. Bruno, Lindsay Gottlieb and Coquese W.

I really think this game is a "pick 'em"

Reaction Score
I think size can be overrated in the women's game, since were usually only talking about a few inches. Remember how good a job Samaria walker did on Griner? How much smaller was she -- 6 or 7 inches?

Not sure why ND can't go with 4 guards. Yes they'll be shorter, but then one of MDs bigs has gotta be out on the perimeter with mcbride-loyd-cable.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting (to me at least) that each of David's latest Dishn & Swishn guests picked ND to beat Maryland in this semi, despite the loss of Achonwa.

Panelists were D. Bruno, Lindsay Gottlieb and Coquese W.

I really think this game is a "pick 'em"
Coquese Washington would always pick ND, I would guess (unless against PSU, of course). Might as well ask Jamelle, Carla, or Jen what they think about the Huskies' prospects! :) I would consider Doug and Lindsay less biased, so it's nice to hear they also pick the Irish.

Vegas has Notre Dame -9.5 and UConn -15, so neither game is anywhere close to a pick 'em. The ND line started at -11.5, so betting brought it down a bit. I wonder what the ND line would have been if Achonwa were healthy?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I expect ND to shoot at least 15 more FTs than Maryland, and that will make the difference.

Thomas should have a big game, but I look for Loyd to really impress.

ND has a much better game coach, but I find Muppet to be increasingly whiny and annoying.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think size can be overrated in the women's game, since were usually only talking about a few inches. Remember how good a job Samaria walker did on Griner? How much smaller was she -- 6 or 7 inches?

Not sure why ND can't go with 4 guards. Yes they'll be shorter, but then one of MDs bigs has gotta be out on the perimeter with mcbride-loyd-cable.
I'm sure they will go 4 guards for at least part of the game, and extend their time if the team can contain Maryland with a zone. Notre Dame's guards are pretty good at rebounding and I imagine that they'll be crashing the defensive boards. While it will lessen Notre Dame's fast-break opportunities, I think Muffet is confident that Notre Dame can score in the halfcourt.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The biggest challenge for ND is to limit Thomas's production, which begins by limiting her touches and continues by doubling her when she gets the ball. Reimer is not the answer, at least one-on-one vs. Thomas. She fouls too much and seems either unwilling or incapable of moving her feet when on defense.

Let's go to the other side. Maryland must somehow limit Loyd and McBride, which is a big challenge, especially since Mabrey can shoot from the perimeter so well and Cable can also shoot well.

Matchups may be decisive in this game. If, for example, Thomas and Brown team up to light it up for 40 or more, Maryland will be tough to beat. OTOH, Loyd and McBride are capable of knocking down 45 between them.

If either of the above scenarios plays out, UConn has an NC game opponent. If both occur, we all have a nailbiter to witness.

In baseball parlance, "Play Ball!"

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I expect ND to shoot at least 15 more FTs than Maryland, and that will make the difference.

Thomas should have a big game, but I look for Loyd to really impress.

ND has a much better game coach, but I find Muppet to be increasingly whiny and annoying.
I've been seeing that a lot on this board recently, and I really don't understand it. Before the injury to Achonwa, Muffet was arguing that people should be talking about Notre Dame more (i.e., too much of the focus has been on UConn's undefeated season, when ND has accomplished the same feat). And many UConn posters were offended. But after the injury, Muffet has said that Notre Dame is now the underdog (of course), and many UConn fans are considering that whining as well. Can someone tell me what Muffet could say that won't upset UConn fans?

Reaction Score
[Can someone tell me what Muffet could say that won't upset UConn fans?[/quote]

She should borrow a phrase from Mulkey's post-game conference when she was asked about the officiating: "Next question."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've been seeing that a lot on this board recently, and I really don't understand it. Before the injury to Achonwa, Muffet was arguing that people should be talking about Notre Dame more (i.e., too much of the focus has been on UConn's undefeated season, when ND has accomplished the same feat). And many UConn posters were offended. But after the injury, Muffet has said that Notre Dame is now the underdog (of course), and many UConn fans are considering that whining as well. Can someone tell me what Muffet could say that won't upset UConn fans?

When she speaks, she whines.

Reaction Score
First, lots of folks don't like ND.
Second, her comments on selection Monday suggesting that UConn ducked them were prov active to say the least. Since Geno likes to stir the pot himself, her comments didn't bother me, but that further rubbed folks the wrong way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"After much reflection, soul searching and prayer, I have decided that we at ND WCBB will stop training our players how to flop and otherwise draw phantom fouls. It came to me during the Baylor game that WCBB refs are so bad we could probably get 75% of those calls with no coaching and could better spend the time."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"After much reflection, soul searching and prayer, I have decided that we at ND WCBB will stop training our players how to flop and otherwise draw phantom fouls. It came to me during the Baylor game that WCBB refs are so bad we could probably get 75% of those calls with no coaching and could better spend the time."
LOL!!!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
First, lots of folks don't like ND.
Second, her comments on selection Monday suggesting that UConn ducked them were prov active to say the least. Since Geno likes to stir the pot himself, her comments didn't bother me, but that further rubbed folks the wrong way.
I didn't like that Muffet remark at all, VG. I was shocked that she made it. But that doesn't seem whiny to me, which is the adjective that keeps coming up on the BY.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't like that Muffet remark at all, VG. I was shocked that she made it. But that doesn't seem whiny to me, which is the adjective that keeps coming up on the BY.

I agree, it is not whiny (and it certainly is not a whinny), closer are dismissive, derisive, imperious, bitchy and undeservedly ( i.e., unearned) condescending. But what would you call her tone? :confused::rolleyes:

Actually, I think Muffet is envious and it makes her rancorous. A situation aggravated by the fact that her program gets so little attention on its own campus. She's got that Rodney Dangerfield "I get no respect" thing simmering under the surface.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I see that my friends and fellow BYers have answered your question.

Saying that UConn ducked ND on the schedule was categorically untrue.

Saying that Natalie was hurt from a hard foul when there was no contact was poor form. I can understand being upset in the moment, but she was too ready to blame someone else.

She said something last year that I don't recall, but Geno didn't like it either.

The UConn players were badly scratched up after the ND games 2 years ago to the point where it was a joke. It didn't happen against any other team. Obviously, the coach either encourages or condones that.

Novosel, Mallory, and Diggins were major whiners. Muppet at least condoned that.

Skylar reportedly screamed "This is my duck__ing house at XL or Gampel after ND won there. As brash as Taurasi is, she would never be that disrespectful or crude.

In short, the ND players have been out of control. The head coach bears responsibility for not reeling them in.

ND is a talented and well coached team, but their frequent and blatant flops on ticky-tack or imaginary fouls are an affront to the game. They can beat everyone but possibly UConn by playing straight up, because they are good. It's as bad as Tennessee when they won by offensive rebounding, including many uncalled over the back fouls, and steals on hacks that were not called.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'll add that I think Muffet is feeling the pressure of three final fours in three years and no trophy. She was very quick to "brag" about the last few games ND had won over Uconn. Last year in the semis Uconn took ND out of their game and out of the finals.

And as others have said, her comments concerning Uconn scheduling or not schedule ND were lies and she knew it. And the is the other issue already mentioned.

After a while one gets tired of the nonsense.

So I'm cheering for MD on Sunday!

Reaction Score
And as others have said, her comments concerning Uconn scheduling or not schedule ND were lies and she knew it.

Muffet does not lie. That's too strong. She fibs. She also encourages her players to flop. In a way a fib is like a flop.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I see that my friends and fellow BYers have answered your question.

Saying that UConn ducked ND on the schedule was categorically untrue.

Saying that Natalie was hurt from a hard foul when there was no contact was poor form. I can understand being upset in the moment, but she was too ready to blame someone else.

She said something last year that I don't recall, but Geno didn't like it either.

The UConn players were badly scratched up after the ND games 2 years ago to the point where it was a joke. It didn't happen against any other team. Obviously, the coach either encourages or condones that.

Novosel, Mallory, and Diggins were major whiners. Muppet at least condoned that.

Skylar reportedly screamed "This is my duck__ing house at XL or Gampel after ND won there. As brash as Taurasi is, she would never be that disrespectful or crude.

In short, the ND players have been out of control. The head coach bears responsibility for not reeling them in.

ND is a talented and well coached team, but their frequent and blatant flops on ticky-tack or imaginary fouls are an affront to the game. They can beat everyone but possibly UConn by playing straight up, because they are good. It's as bad as Tennessee when they won by offensive rebounding, including many uncalled over the back fouls, and steals on hacks that were not called.

Amen... I say, Amen... Do I get another Amen???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom