Notre Dame 2021-2022 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good Question: This has been a source of discussion on The Bench all season, particularly after ND's only other post -- Nat Marshall -- was lost for the season after a meniscus tear.

Those who view it from a strict NCAA interpretation say no: She's on her fourth season of play and that's it.
Since she sat out the "pandemic year," she's not eligible to take advantage of the NCAA's extra season offer.

However, there are always waivers and the NCAA is always surprising us. Perhaps her decision to sit a year doesn't matter? Plus she only played 9 games her junior year coming back from a left foot injury.
Once again, many say no. Niele has been heard saying she's been told the opposite.

Lastly, Maya is enrolled in the MBA program at ND, which last two years, so if she wants the MBA, she probably needs to come back for one more year if she wants to finish right now. On the other hand, does she want to give the pro's a shot? Stay tuned.
Dodson has been so impressive this year for ND. She wasn't nearly as productive at Stanford, so my expectations weren't high. I am genuinely surprised and happy for her. I think she should be first team All-ACC with Miles. If she comes back that will be a huge boost for ND next year.

Even if she does come back, Niele will have to hit the transfer portal hard IMO. I'm glad this season has gone so well, so now maybe transfers will take a closer look at ND. Dodson has improved leaps and bounds, and the prospect of playing with Miles sounds enticing if I was a player.

Go ND!

Reaction Score
There’s been speculation on whether Dodson does return. I believe Dodson does return not only due to her being in a two-year MBA program, but because she’s missed playing basketball the last year and a half. I think she’ll come back and give leadership we will need for next season.

This week has been a good week for ND. Five game winning streak. Go to FSU (who has underperformed this season by the way). ND beat FSU by around 20 (if not that) last season. We shall see what happens Sunday.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND still loves to get out in transiton. Here is -- perhaps -- one of the better breaks of the season: Miles to Citron to Brunelle. Enjoy.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Can Dodson return next season, or is she all out of eligibility?
As she sat out last year due to Covid, I hope she isn’t granted another year vs. those that actually endured the travails of what all the Covid testing wrought. But that could be my anti-ND stance speaking and as is ND, I suspect the NCAA may say, “heck, ND doe so have any tall Letter of intent players signed up, let’s grant Maya 2 more years of eligibility at ND!”
:rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good Question: This has been a source of discussion on The Bench all season, particularly after ND's only other post -- Nat Marshall -- was lost for the season after a meniscus tear.

Those who view it from a strict NCAA interpretation say no: She's on her fourth season of play and that's it.
Since she sat out the "pandemic year," she's not eligible to take advantage of the NCAA's extra season offer.

However, there are always waivers and the NCAA is always surprising us. Perhaps her decision to sit a year doesn't matter? Plus she only played 9 games her junior year coming back from a left foot injury.
Once again, many say no. Niele has been heard saying she's been told the opposite.

Lastly, Maya is enrolled in the MBA program at ND, which last two years, so if she wants the MBA, she probably needs to come back for one more year if she wants to finish right now. On the other hand, does she want to give the pro's a shot and finish the MBA in the off-season? Stay tuned.

In any case, ND does not have a freshman big coming to campus for the 2022-23 season ("just" guard KK Bransford). So, don't be surprised to see ND scan the transfer portal again this offseason for another post or forward.

Join the club..... just about every other ACC school needs some posts.... Duke desperately needs to add a few... NC State, VPI, Wake,.. GaTech, FSU.... meanwhile South Carolina has about 8 posts on their roster...

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Join the club..... just about every other ACC school needs some posts.... Duke desperately needs to add a few... NC State, VPI, Wake,.. GaTech, FSU.... meanwhile South Carolina has about 8 posts on their roster...

Maybe that's why Neile is so insistent on finding players who can multiple positions...all the posts are at South Carolina, Oregon State or playing volleyball. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Undoubtedly the best fight song in the ACC .... FSU beats ND for the very first time.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think they were fatigued for playing 4 games in a week. I’m glad they came back and almost beat them. I bet we see them again in the ACC tournament.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Undoubtedly the best fight song in the ACC .... FSU beats ND for the very first time.

That the Seminoles did. BTW, I've noted that fight song's beginning sounds amazingly like a school from So. California that goes by the Trojans. No wonder it sends shivers down my spine, as well. :eek: ;)

ND seemed to foget they were playing hoops in the 3rd quarter. While @jbc021592 is right about the number of games and a comback, to make the jump you've got to take the next step. OK, Miami on Thursday....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So what happened with Olivia Miles late in the game? I saw comments on “The Bench” about her “not having a good look” when something happened. Foul not called or was an inadvertent foul called? Anyone have insight?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As she sat out last year due to Covid, I hope she isn’t granted another year vs. those that actually endured the travails of what all the Covid testing wrought. But that could be my anti-ND stance speaking and as is ND, I suspect the NCAA may say, “heck, ND doe so have any tall Letter of intent players signed up, let’s grant Maya 2 more years of eligibility at ND!”
:rolleyes:
Speaking of which, does anyone know how the NCAA treating the Duke players and Ivy League teams from last COVID season in terms of additional eligibility?
Duke players started the season then shut it down. The Ivy league decided not to play at all but that was an entire league not individual players deciding to opt out.
@triaddukefan

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, does anyone know how the NCAA treating the Duke players and Ivy League teams from last COVID season in terms of additional eligibility?
Duke players started the season then shut it down. The Ivy league decided not to play at all but that was an entire league not individual players deciding to opt out.
@triaddukefan

I have no earthly idea

Reaction Score
In the meantime, I'll try to find a polite way of telling Niele Ivey that making your offense go to/through Maya Dodson may result in lot of shot attempts and points, but also a bunch of turnovers and relegates your best player (that would be Maddy Westbeld) to a spectator. :confused:
Thankfully, Niele didn’t take your advice. Firstly, Westbeld, like her sister, is currently a tweener trying to find her way. She is inconsistent as an outside shooter and has little explosiveness in the paint. Can she develop? Let’s hope so. She would do well to lose 10 pounds and become quicker. She and Brunelle are very similar in development right now. They are neither quick or strong enough to be true forces. There was a lot of optimism based on Westbeld being the best player on a lousy team, but Dodson, Miles and Citron are clearly more talented. Let’s hope she either develops more to her game, and/or recognizes her role going forward.

ND’s two best players are Dodson and Miles. Without Dodson this team would be on the bubble. So, she’s the MVP in my book. She is a relentless force in the paint and gives the Irish what they desperately needed. She can score inside, keep missed shots alive and is a defensive rebound force.

If she continues to develop her shot, Miles will become a superstar. She can beat anybody off the dribble, has great court vision and with a budding outside shot she’ll control the team. She wants to take the big shot and has unflappable confidence. The future is very bright.

Citron appears to hit the wall, but her size, shot and work ethic are impressive. The chemistry between she and Miles is very important going forward. She is getting banged around a lot, but as her strength grows she’s going to overcome some of her growing pains. She’s still learning the college game, but she’s so fundamentally sound. Looking forward to her continuing development.

Notre Dame needs to secure Dodson for another year and/or bring in another similarly talented big. Due to her continuing health issues, Marshall is a big question mark right now. If Ivey can also bring in a big and another quick and tall player that can shoot and rebound, it will be back in the title hunt soon. Bransford brings another player that can break down defenses. So, ND needs another force that can compete in the paint. I’m very impressed with the development of Dodson and the Freshmen (includes Miles) and Ivey’s teams play hard. The future is bright.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So what happened with Olivia Miles late in the game? I saw comments on “The Bench” about her “not having a good look” when something happened. Foul not called or was an inadvertent foul called? Anyone have insight?
Haven't read what fans are talking about but I watched some of the 3rd Q of Sunday's game and on 2 consecutive possessions Miles called for the ball on the right wing and didn't get it. On the first possession she showed a little frustration and on the 2nd one she threw her arms down and turned her back on the play. Not sure if she was subbed out of the game or not but hopefully a coach will talk to her about the body language and not showing up her teammates.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Haven't read what fans are talking about but I watched some of the 3rd Q of Sunday's game and on 2 consecutive possessions Miles called for the ball on the right wing and didn't get it. On the first possession she showed a little frustration and on the 2nd one she threw her arms down and turned her back on the play. Not sure if she was subbed out of the game or not but hopefully a coach will talk to her about the body language and not showing up her teammates.

Niele has taken Miles out and/or talked to her on the sideline about displays of frustration. Some of these outbursts are directed at things not her/ND's way (in general) and some, yes, seemingly at her teammates. Can understand the former; can't have the latter. From what I'm able to see, 'Liv is a pretty intense player and think she sets the bar for herself pretty high. And expects everyone to aspire to that bar. While Citron plays hard as well, there's a bit of a chill factor there that can hopefully balance 'Liv's. They're pretty close, according to all reports.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Thankfully, Niele didn’t take your advice. Firstly, Westbeld, like her sister, is currently a tweener trying to find her way. She is inconsistent as an outside shooter and has little explosiveness in the paint. Can she develop? Let’s hope so. She would do well to lose 10 pounds and become quicker. She and Brunelle are very similar in development right now. They are neither quick or strong enough to be true forces. There was a lot of optimism based on Westbeld being the best player on a lousy team, but Dodson, Miles and Citron are clearly more talented. Let’s hope she either develops more to her game, and/or recognizes her role going forward.

ND’s two best players are Dodson and Miles. Without Dodson this team would be on the bubble. So, she’s the MVP in my book. She is a relentless force in the paint and gives the Irish what they desperately needed. She can score inside, keep missed shots alive and is a defensive rebound force.

If she continues to develop her shot, Miles will become a superstar. She can beat anybody off the dribble, has great court vision and with a budding outside shot she’ll control the team. She wants to take the big shot and has unflappable confidence. The future is very bright.

Citron appears to hit the wall, but her size, shot and work ethic are impressive. The chemistry between she and Miles is very important going forward. She is getting banged around a lot, but as her strength grows she’s going to overcome some of her growing pains. She’s still learning the college game, but she’s so fundamentally sound. Looking forward to her continuing development.

Notre Dame needs to secure Dodson for another year and/or bring in another similarly talented big. Due to her continuing health issues, Marshall is a big question mark right now. If Ivey can also bring in a big and another quick and tall player that can shoot and rebound, it will be back in the title hunt soon. Bransford brings another player that can break down defenses. So, ND needs another force that can compete in the paint. I’m very impressed with the development of Dodson and the Freshmen (includes Miles) and Ivey’s teams play hard. The future is bright.

Welcome aboard. Enjoyed what looks to be your initial post very much.
A few give and takes:

- I have no idea when I wrote that "pull-out" quote but I sure hope it wasn't too recently. :rolleyes: Maya started off like a ball on fire this season, then had a rough stretch when she was clanging or badly missing a lot of down-low lay-ups and rolling hooks. Then, everything fell into lockstep in the DePaul and Duke games and she's been off to the races since then offensively.

Rebounding and defense were what most Irish fans expected when Maya came aboard (largely based on her Stanford experiences), but the scoring has been a joyful add. My only "area of improvement" for Maya would be ball movement. While not quite a black hole, Maya could learn to pass the ball on or back out, a la Jess Shepard. However, that's a subtle progression and sure it will come, particularly if she comes back.

- My initial comments and concerns with Maya/Maddy had more to do with Maddy becoming an extra wheel, if you will. You focus heavily on what Maddy has to do, but I'm not sure all of this is on her. Coaches need to makr sure all parts of the engine run smoothly and Niele is currently embracing the point guard and "throw it down low" elements. Heck, why not? On the other hand, having other options (ball movement, hard weakside cuts) have also been part of the Irish offensive arsenal and longtime Irish watcher are a little leery of over-reliance on "going down low" at the expense of other shooters.

- "Tweener trying to find her way." With the reference to older sister, Kat, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Kat was only 6'1" (Maddy is 6'3") and played an inside-out game. She tweaked her game to what ND needed, which was the high post in ND's high-low game. As numerous people have noted, she did what was needed and was probably the unsung member of ND's NC team.

Maddy, although taller, fashions herself an outside-in player. And in spite of the obvious "where do I go" this year aspects of the season, she still has the highest shooting percentage overall of any Irish starter (and 3rd highest 3-pt shooting). I'd submit that her issue isn't the shooting, but getting enough of them in the spots she can drill them. That falls on development of the offense.

- Yes, Maya and 'Liv have driven this team, but it's all made easier by Sonia's overall presence. She's like the kid who doesn't need much parenting, but ends up doing the right thing anyways.

- I don't know if you read McGraw's Bench, but the talk for another transfer big (if Maya departs and given Nat Marhall's injuries) has well begun. So you're in line on that. And Bransford will add a whole other element, with shades of Young, Ogunbowale and Owusu in her game.

Once again, welcome aboard and enjoyed your post!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Knocks Off Miami, 69-53

On her 20th birthday, Maddy Westbeld shoots 8-11 from the floor (4-5 from three) en route to a 21-pt. performance. Also grabbed 8 rebounds.

Sonia Citron scores 15 pts. (5-6 from the FT line), grabs 8 rebounds, has 5 assists and plays a team-high 38 minutes.

Maya Dodson has 12 pts., 10 rebounds and 3 blocks.

Next up: ND heads to Louisville on Sunday afternoon.

and some highlights:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND is in the new NCAA Top 16 Seed Reveal at 14 in the Spokane Bracket with 1. Stanford, 2. Iowa State, 3. Tennessee, and 4. ND (us). I knew they would be in Spokane with Stanford (if they make the Sweet 16). Dodson/Stanford matchup. Their ceiling gets higher! GA Tech is down by A LOT right now to VA Tech. They got momentum going into Saturday!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ND Knocks Off Miami, 69-53

On her 20th birthday, Maddy Westbeld shoots 8-11 from the floor (4-5 from three) en route to a 21-pt. performance. Also grabbed 8 rebounds.

Sonia Citron scores 15 pts. (5-6 from the FT line), grabs 8 rebounds, has 5 assists and plays a team-high 38 minutes.

Maya Dodson has 12 pts., 10 rebounds and 3 blocks.

Next up: ND heads to Louisville on Sunday afternoon.

Nice to have your Best Game on your Birthday.. Seems like the Maddy's are taking over.

Reaction Score
Since Notre Dame women's basketball is no longer embarrassing (for now at least!), I've decided to end two seasons of mostly avoiding the Boneyard during WCBB season!

I'd like to write a little bit about each game, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss all things Irish including long-held and newly formed grievances. Please no in-game discussion that will get the thread locked, however. Use the chat instead.

To kick this off, I thought I'd start with posts recapping last season (yuck), analyzing the roster, and summarizing the three games that have happened so far.

Where we've been:
Notre Dame went 10-10 in 2020-2021 and failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament. The season began inauspiciously with an 86-85 loss at Ohio and more or less continued horribly from there. Against Ohio, an Irish team rendered shorthand by COVID-19 led 77-70 with 6 minutes to play but faltered down the stretch. Faltering down the stretch would come to define the 2020-2021 ND campaign.

Unlike the 2018 National Championship team that was fond of playing a horrible 2nd quarter and then storming back in the second half to win, last year's Irish regularly built double-digit leads only to squander them in the fourth quarter. ND's own media guide tells the tale of woe:

"At Boston College, Notre Dame was up 60-48 with 3:29 remaining, but lost 64-61. At North Carolina, Notre Dame was up 70-63 with 4:36 left, but dropped a 78-73 decision. The Tar Heels outscored the Irish 24-15 in the fourth. At Syracuse, the Irish once held a 15-point lead and were up 65-58 heading into the fourth. Then the Orange outscored the Irish 23-4 in the fourth to take it 81-69"

The season was not entirely without highlights, most notably a stretch from December 31 to January 21 where Notre Dame won 5 out of 6 games in conference play. However, the Irish were quickly met with a reality check in the form of successive road losses to North Carolina, Syracuse, and Louisville.

ND entered the ACC tournament on the NCAA tournament bubble at 10-9 and likely needing multiple ACC tournament wins to snag one of the final NCAA bids. The Irish opened the ACC tournament against Clemson where once again their propensity for a poor fourth quarter doomed them. Notre Dame entered the final frame with a four-point lead but were outscored 18-9 in the quarter and fell to a season ending 68-63 defeat.

2020-2021 stats leaders:
Points: Westbeld - 304 (15.2 per game), Mabrey - 225 (11.3), Walker - 217 (11.4)
Rebounds: Westbeld - 157 (7.9), Peoples - 119 (6.0), Vaughn - 87 (5.4)
Assists: Mabrey - 63, Westbeld - 49, Walker - 42
Steals: Peoples - 29, Walker - 29, Westbeld - 27
Blocks: Vaughn - 23, Westbeld - 18, Brunelle - 8
3-pointers: Mabrey - 40 (38.5%), Brunelle - 23 (38.3%), Walker - 20 (38.5%)

Team Stats of notes:
ND shots 45.6 compared to 41.1% for opponents and 35.2% from deep compared to 32.8%. However, the Irish were outrebounded (36.3 per game, 37.0 for opponents) and committed more turnovers than opponents (341 to 314).
Westbeld has had some lackluster performances this year though she’s shown some life recently

Reaction Score
Greetings. First time poster and Penn State Lady Lions follower. I thought you might be interested in a report on Alli Campbell. Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to play in any of Penn State's three games due to injury. No idea as to the nature or severity of her injury. Penn State is notoriously close-mouthed on injuries. I'll try to post any new information if and when I can.
The ND players that didn’t return were smart to leave. They had no chance to play if they stayed. Walker and Vaughn were addition by subtraction for sure. Very little dead wood left on ND roster

Reaction Score
Blowouts like the one against Louisville are a good good barometer of how far the Irish have to go to be elite.

Louisville was deeper and more athletic at many positions, allowing them to constantly attack the Irish with superior quickness and shooting accuracy with fresh troops. You can’t be elite and rely on a one dimensional senior guard who is a defensive liability and a streaky shooter, have a former starter who is now 2nd off the bench who cannot score, and have no reliable post presence when your elite starter has to go to the bench in foul trouble. And the short bench is a serious liability.

Perhaps this could have been a 10 point loss had Sam not been injured, but there’s no mistaking how much quicker and more athletic Louisville was, just as UCONN was earlier in the year.

Let’s hope Nielle Ivey can pull in a couple elite transfer portal players and more elite recruiting is on the way. The talent just isn’t there yet.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Defeats Clemson, 77-56; Receives Double-Bye in ACC Tourney

After beating Georgia Tech on the road last Thursday and UVA forfeiting a twice-posponed game, Notre Dame needed only to split one of it's last two home games against Clemson and/or Louisville to finish in the top four of the ACC. The Irish wisely decided the first game was the way to go and beat Clemson by 21 to attain the double bye.

They were led by Sonia Citron, who scored 23 points, grabbed 13 rebounds, dished out 8 assists and had 4 steals, in 35 minutes (tops on the team). Maya Dodson dominated down low, with 20 points (on 9-11 shooting), 9 rebounds and 5 blocks. Olivia Miles scored 11 points and chipped in 9 assists on ND's senior night (Maya Dodson, Dara Mabrey, Abby Prohaska and Katlyn Gilbert).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blowouts like the one against Louisville are a good good barometer of how far the Irish have to go to be elite.

Louisville was deeper and more athletic at many positions, allowing them to constantly attack the Irish with superior quickness and shooting accuracy with fresh troops. You can’t be elite and rely on a one dimensional senior guard who is a defensive liability and a streaky shooter, have a former starter who is now 2nd off the bench who cannot score, and have no reliable post presence when your elite starter has to go to the bench in foul trouble. And the short bench is a serious liability.

Perhaps this could have been a 10 point loss had Sam not been injured, but there’s no mistaking how much quicker and more athletic Louisville was, just as UCONN was earlier in the year.

Let’s hope Nielle Ivey can pull in a couple elite transfer portal players and more elite recruiting is on the way. The talent just isn’t there yet.
Yes—I believe if Sam never gotten injured, I think it may have been between a 7-10 point loss (which isn’t that bad in my opinion).

As recruiting goes—Niele is very selective with her prospects. However, it’s come to my understanding that Niele went to DC last Friday to watch Sidwell Friends’s Jadyn Donovan (10-2023) and Kendall Dudley (4-2024). I believe those are her two top priorities—getting those two to ND.

Also heard Niele is working on paperwork to get Dodson to play next year. Which I don’t see why the NCAA would deny her another year since she was hurt/COVID at Stanford before transferring to ND.

So if Dodson is granted another year, this would be HUGE for the Irish—and if Marshall comes back after another setback with her knee (backup), they should be in a good spot. They should have (if not mostly) everyone back next year. They should be a top 10 team, and if not the top of the ACC next year (IF Dodson does return-with mostly everyone back).

Last thing, I do believe Niele will get one transfer. I’m not sure what position, but I do believe she’ll get one.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Last thing, I do believe Niele will get one transfer. I’m not sure what position, but I do believe she’ll get one.

Of course, she (and us) have to see just who starts coming through the portal, which will start en masse pretty much after the end-of-year tournaments (conference and others) end. It's like free agency, but you don't know who has it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom