Notre Dame 2021-2022 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
KRISTINA "KOKO" NELSON JOINS SHEA RALPH'S VANDY STAFF AS DIRECTOR OF RECRUITING

Tip of the hat to RISteve over at the Bench for this one, but Koko Nelson, the first (and often, the only) person off the bench for ND's National Championship squad has joined Shea Ralph's Vanderbilt WBB team as Director of Recruiting. She had been assisting Clark Lea's football team in recruiting.

Koko was viewed as a selfless teammate on that team, often referred to as the "mom" of the bunch. Worked tirelessly to improve her game. Good for her. Best of luck to Shea, Koko and Vandy.

Here's the full story:

should help alot with all those talented KK's out there. ;)

Reaction Score

Came across this, and thought I should share. It includes some very nice interviews from Diggins and Niele, and was pretty neat to see the clips of Jaden growing up within the ND program.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 what is it going to take to Citron in the starting lineup? @Orangutan is there someone I need to talk to?

Niele finally faced reality and started Sonia in the 2nd half of the Pitt game. She subsequently started the game against Syracuse last night, which was something of a nailbiter until the 4th quarter when ND scored 30 pts. and won by 20+. Not coincidentally, Citron scored 10 of her 13 pts in the quarter and had 12 rebounds overall.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Niele finally faced reality and started Sonia in the 2nd half of the Pitt game. She subsequently started the game against Syracuse last night, which was something of a nailbiter until the 4th quarter when ND scored 30 pts. and won by 20+. Not coincidentally, Citron scored 10 of her 13 pts in the quarter and had 12 rebounds overall.
Who did Niele sit? Personally I'm really disappointed in the way Peoples is playing in the few times that I have seen her this season. Not only should Sonia be starting she should be getting 35+ minutes per game IMO.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Who did Niele sit? Personally I'm really disappointed in the way Peoples is playing in the few times that I have seen her this season. Not only should Sonia be starting she should be getting 35+ minutes per game IMO.

Niele took Anaya Peoples out of the starting lineup, but still kept her in the rotation, even though Peoples' play this year has seemingly regressed to the point that one wonders why she's seeing the floor. While Peoples still plays hard and effectively on defense and rebounds, any time she has the ball in her hand it is an adventure. Abby Prohaska has come back from concussion protocol and contributed three rebounds and a smooth 3-ptr. in 6 or 7 minutes. Look for that to expand.

But, no disagreement with you, Sonia should be on the floor....a lot. As you and I have discussed during her participation on multiple teams, the group just plays better when she's out there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She took Anaya Peoples out of the starting lineup, but still kept her in the rotation, even though her play this year has seemingly regressed to the point that one wonders why she's seeing the floor. While she still plays ok defense and rebounds, any time she has the ball in her hand is an adventure. Abby Prohaska has come back from concussion protocal and contributed three rebounds and a smooth 3-ptr. in 6 or 7 minutes. Look for that to expand.

But, no disagreement with you, Sonia should be on the floor....a lot. As you and I have discussed during her participation on multiple teams, the group just plays better when she's out there.
Rooting for Prohaska. She's been through a lot over the last couple years.

Regarding concussions, I wonder if ND would consider having her wear the neck bracelet/collar Warren from Texas has. I've seen it used more in football and hockey as a way to help prevent/minimize impact. With the number of players who have suffered concussions in basketball, it could be worth investigating.

Reaction Score
Peoples has been a mystery all season. It's kind of shocking because she is in the best shape of her career, and she just hasn't been producing. Gilbert is also another player I wonder about often. It's good seeing Brunelle starting to get going again, she is actually playing better than Westbeld (who is in a slump too).

I group Peoples, Gilbert, and Brunelle together because the three of them were double digit scorers and All-ACC Freshman in Muffet's last season. Disappointing, but they have a few years left...

I'm glad Niele is putting Citron into the starting lineup. She does a lot for them. I'm hoping Mabrey and Dodson come back for another year (I see Gilbert leaving). Hopefully Bransford can have a similar impact that Miles and Citron have, so she can eventually break the starting lineup. Mabrey should be the backup PG IMO. She is a defensive liability, while Peoples is an offensive liability. With the success Niele has had this year, maybe she will have more success in the transfer portal. ND could use a big 3 and D wing, and a center to back up Dodson.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Peoples has been a mystery all season. It's kind of shocking because she is in the best shape of her career, and she just hasn't been producing. Gilbert is also another player I wonder about often. It's good seeing Brunelle starting to get going again, she is actually playing better than Westbeld (who is in a slump too).

I group Peoples, Gilbert, and Brunelle together because the three of them were double digit scorers and All-ACC Freshman in Muffet's last season. Disappointing, but they have a few years left...

I'm glad Niele is putting Citron into the starting lineup. She does a lot for them. I'm hoping Mabrey and Dodson come back for another year (I see Gilbert leaving). Hopefully Bransford can have a similar impact that Miles and Citron have, so she can eventually break the starting lineup. Mabrey should be the backup PG IMO. She is a defensive liability, while Peoples is an offensive liability. With the success Niele has had this year, maybe she will have more success in the transfer portal. ND could use a big 3 and D wing, and a center to back up Dodson.

A few points and give and takes:
  • Gilbert was a medical redshirt freshman when she made the all-frosh team. She is actually a senior and should be on track to graduate in May. Coach Ivey has said she's still mending (from what, we don't know) and won't play in the forseeable future. Like you, I think her best bet of seeing the floor is with another team next year as a grad transfer. Gosh knows Indiana will need guards and she's from the Indianapolis area.
  • Don't know if you're aware, but Ivey just announced that back-up center Natalie Marshall has a meniscus issue in her knee and is out for the season. So, yes, ND will once again be hunting for a big in the transfer market.
  • BTW, what constitutes "more success?" Niele's got two starters out of the transfer market in Dodson (an unqualified success) and Mabrey. Yes, "little Mabrey" (Deb Antonell's term for her) not going to help anyone on defense, but ND got her to shoot and Dara has done a good job on the three ball this year.
  • What do you mean by a "big 3 and D" wing? Is that one and the same? Or two different players? In any case, Niele is playing Sonia Citron at the three/taller guard, which fits in with the way ND plays that spot (see Young, Jackie and Cable, Maddie). Sonia is a tall 6'1", plays good defense and a stellar rebounder. She'll team up well with KK Bransford who is exceedingly strong and will live in the paint.
  • They certainly do need to hit the market for a big, though, particularly with Marshall's injury , uncertainty of Dodson coming back and no frosh big. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I think Ivey is doing herself a disservice by not starting Citron and playing her 35 minutes a game. She is just soooooo good. ND isn't going to win the ACC this year, but they very well could win it next year. Why not have Miles/Citron play as much together as possible to be prepare for 2023? And then there is that part where she's so good that you can't keep her on the bench this year....even if it means sitting and upperclassmen.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think Ivey is doing herself a disservice by not starting Citron and playing her 35 minutes a game. She is just soooooo good. ND isn't going to win the ACC this year, but they very well could win it next year. Why not have Miles/Citron play as much together as possible to be prepare for 2023? And then there is that part where she's so good that you can't keep her on the bench this year....even if it means sitting and upperclassmen.

Niele inserted her into the starting lineup against Syracuse, saying she (Niele) wanted to "shake things up." Sonia won't come out, not if she produces 13 pts and 12 rebounds like she did against the Orange. It's crazy how good she is at getting to the ball. Uncanny and she has the physical tools to do it. She was waay above the Syracuse guards/wings in grabbing 'bounds.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND's Miles & Citron Sweep ACC Weekly Honors

On Monday, Jan. 31, the Atlantic Coast Conference named Olivia Miles its Player of the Week and Sonia Citron its Freshman of the Week. It marks the second time ever Notre Dame has swept the weekly honors in the ACC (Madison Cable & Arike Ogunbowale on Dec. 14, 2015). In addition, Citron earned her fifth ACC freshman award this season, the most of any player.

Miles is technically a freshman, as well, but not eligible for ACC awards (she played 6 games last year). So, ND got a double dip out of their two freshmen.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, it certainly wasn't pretty, but the Irish hold on to beat NC State, 69-66. Highest-ranked opponent ND has beaten since the 2018-19 season. Dodson with 20 pts. and 10 rebounds, Miles 13 points and Brunelle 10. Citron has worst shooting night of college career (1 of 12) but grabs 9 rebounds.

NC State led by Diamond Johnson with 16, but shot 6 of 23.

Reaction Score
Well, it certainly wasn't pretty, but the Irish hold on to beat NC State, 69-66. Highest-ranked opponent ND has beaten since the 2018-19 season. Dodson with 20 pts. and 10 rebounds, Miles 13 points and Brunelle 10. Citron has worst shooting night of college career (1 of 12) but grabs 9 rebounds.

NC State led by Diamond Johnson with 16, but shot 6 of 23.

Freshmen. What are you gonna do?

Reaction Score
What a win for the Irish! Has to be the first game in quite sometime that they haven’t turned the ball over frequently as they have been over the last 4-5 games. Overall, big win! Maya Dodson was the MVP this game.

Reaction Score
I expected ND to be much more competitive in the ACC this season. Happy for Coach Ivey after the rough season they had last year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Big game tonight as Elizabeth Kitley vs. Maya Dodson will be of interest. Not sure VPI (7-2, 15-5) has enough firepower to match ND (8-2, 17-4) and the game is at ND so there's that as well. ND is on a nice little streak and should be able to keep it going. Normally, I would be inclined to watch but the ACC channels keep putting MM on everything and that I simply cannot be subjected to for a second!

Reaction Score
There’s word that Kitley may not play tonight as she’s still suffering from an injury in her last game, but we shall see….

Reaction Score
Big game tonight as Elizabeth Kitley vs. Maya Dodson will be of interest. Not sure VPI (7-2, 15-5) has enough firepower to match ND (8-2, 17-4) and the game is at ND so there's that as well. ND is on a nice little streak and should be able to keep it going. Normally, I would be inclined to watch but the ACC channels keep putting MM on everything and that I simply cannot be subjected to for a second!
There’s word that Kitley may not play tonight as she’s still suffering from an injury in her last game, but we shall see….

I read somewhere that Kitley may be on a minutes count due to a groin strain. Either way, the match up with Dodson most likely won't live up to what we'd hope it would be.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Can Dodson return next season, or is she all out of eligibility?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Dodson really start playing well after she was blitzed on the boards and other ways by UConn?

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Dodson really start playing well after she was blitzed on the boards and other ways by UConn?
Correct, UConn can take credit for Dodson's success, since UConn is so good at developing their own post players as of late.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think the DePaul game was when she really started to take off.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Can Dodson return next season, or is she all out of eligibility?

Good Question: This has been a source of discussion on The Bench all season, particularly after ND's only other post -- Nat Marshall -- was lost for the season after a meniscus tear.

Those who view it from a strict NCAA interpretation say no: She's on her fourth season of play and that's it.
Since she sat out the "pandemic year," she's not eligible to take advantage of the NCAA's extra season offer.

However, there are always waivers and the NCAA is always surprising us. Perhaps her decision to sit a year doesn't matter? Plus she only played 9 games her junior year coming back from a left foot injury.
Once again, many say no. Niele has been heard saying she's been told the opposite.

Lastly, Maya is enrolled in the MBA program at ND, which last two years, so if she wants the MBA, she probably needs to come back for one more year if she wants to finish right now. On the other hand, does she want to give the pro's a shot and finish the MBA in the off-season? Stay tuned.

In any case, ND does not have a freshman big coming to campus for the 2022-23 season ("just" guard KK Bransford). So, don't be surprised to see ND scan the transfer portal again this offseason for another post or forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits