Not thrilled in Florida about Cuse and Pitt | The Boneyard

Not thrilled in Florida about Cuse and Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not according to this article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/bianchi-fsu-acc-sec.docx-20110923,0,3711432.column

Of course they wouldn't be dancing in the streets with us either, but at least our football program isn't on life support, like Syracuse's. Unless Swofford can add ND, he's made a mess of the ACC for football. And they have BC (another disaster) to thank for it.

He's another guy more concerned with flash than substance. If you're going to knock Syracuse and Pitt football, why follow it up by pining for Notre Dame? I know ND brings cash. That's well and good. But don't emphasize the play on the field the last decade, because Notre Dame hasn't brought it for a long while.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to agree with the writer, the ACC is not a good football conference. Adding Pitt and Syracuse did nothing for the ACC in football. I'll watch the SEC, Big 12 and some of the PAC 12 teams before watching ACC football. Boise State plays more exciting football then most of the teams in the ACC

Reaction Score
What makes ACC football appealing to many is that it is played in large part by "student" athletes. Not all programs, but a lot of the programs. You still have a lot of students playing. In the SEC, that just isn't true. It's not particularly true at Boise St. Isn't it ironic that everyone seems to love SEC football the most. Well guess what? There's a reason they're so good.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's another guy more concerned with flash than substance. If you're going to knock Syracuse and Pitt football, why follow it up by pining for Notre Dame? I know ND brings cash. That's well and good. But don't emphasize the play on the field the last decade, because Notre Dame hasn't brought it for a long while.

Correct. He isn't being logical. He is pinning his argument on a false perspective that exist in the publics mind as opposed to the actual events. If ND can't regain football prominence, a good likelihood, it will end up irrelevant to the sport.

St. Johns had drawn significant attention in the Northeast under Carnesecca. Why? Because he was a compelling coach and the program was successful. Those days have come and gone. ND is heading towards that degree of irrelevance, but for whatever reason, enough fans haven't given up hope on them. So the question is when will that happen? You and I believe that time is now, but our viewpoint hasn't taken hold with enough of the fans to cause consequences.

None of the four BE schools bring enough of a fan base at this point in time to make sense football wise. So the ACC has no choice but to hope for ND. But ND probably buys the ACC just a little more time than the other four schools, before people within and outside the conference decide the ACC is irrelevant football wise. Reason isn't the driving the bus here, otherwise NBC would never have given the huge and long term contract to ND. The best case scenario is that ND gets included into the ACC and two or more of the other ACC schools besides FSU and VT can become perennial powerhouses.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
So the ACC was a OK football conference between 1992 & 2005 when they won the league 12 times. What changed around 2005, oh, bad BE teams joined the ACC. VTech started going to BCS games & BC did not travel to ACC championship games.

Reaction Score
So the ACC was a OK football conference between 1992 & 2005 when they won the league 12 times

You mean certain years the ACC didn't win their own league? Where was ESPN when this happened? :cool:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Swofford moved too fast. He made his move based on the belief that the B12 was going to break up. He was wrong. A lot of people were to be fair. If his move was made to kill the BE it was at the cost of his own conference's football presence and how smart is that? I still see the ACC as our best bet becaus ethey really do value BB and will maintain enough football cachet to be a major conference. If we join the ACC our first move should be to force Swofford out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Swofford moved too fast. He made his move based on the belief that the B12 was going to break up. He was wrong. A lot of people were to be fair. If his move was made to kill the BE it was at the cost of his own conference's football presence and how smart is that? I still see the ACC as our best bet becaus ethey really do value BB and will maintain enough football cachet to be a major conference. If we join the ACC our first move should be to force Swofford out.

Let's not spread this idea around. We'll never get an invite. Guy is hell bent on job preservation.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Let's not spread this idea around. We'll never get an invite. Guy is hell bent on job preservation.
I would list that as most of our reasons when we take jobs.:) Anywho, whatever his reasons for action he is doing a decent job of getting potential positive results, playing a very poor hand.

Reaction Score
I just don't get all of this. Swoffford panics and tries to assuage FSU and Clemson by bringing in two basketball schools? And there is no way in hell that either ND or Texas come into the ACC because each school stands to lose so much in revenue. The big 12 appears to be settling down, and they will be looking to add more schools which, of course, means that the Big East may be in for another hit or two. In the end it appears that the ACC will still be weak in football (which Swofford wanted to strengthen), and stronger in basketball which pisses off the football schools! Swofford's an idiot! He blew it in '03 by bringing in BCU, and he hasn't solved anything eight years later, except causing angst on this board!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He's playing with a weak hand. His plays are limited and the positive outcomes most likely not great. But he is obligated to play them, anxiety for us or not.

Reaction Score
Based on this article you would think FSU has dominated the ACC for the last 5 years. If the league is so weak and FSU so powerful, then they should be in the midst of a 10 year run as conference champions. They last won the ACC CG in 2005 when they were 8-5 overall. Granted they went to the CG last year, but they lost. They then beat USCeast 26-17, a team we had beaten the year before 20-7. ( I know its a year earlier).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would list that as most of our reasons when we take jobs.:) Anywho, whatever his reasons for action he is doing a decent job of getting potential positive results, playing a very poor hand.

Hard to argue with that, but I would say: if that is your main motivation, you won't likely be acting in the best interest of your employer some (most?) of the time. As his job is to represent his constituents, that is a major conflict of interest. Reminds me of politicians now that I think about it. Yuck.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same out here in the panhandle of Florida. No one is jumping for joy over the move. Luke warm reaction at best. Most view it as more of the same and adding more middle of the road teams that will go between 5-7 and 8-4 every year. FSU definitely wants a heavy football player to be added.

Reaction Score
Same out here in the panhandle of Florida. No one is jumping for joy over the move. Luke warm reaction at best. Most view it as more of the same and adding more middle of the road teams that will go between 5-7 and 8-4 every year. FSU definitely wants a heavy football player to be added.

But who is that heavy football player? These teams meet that description; Texas, ND, WVU. You could add Oklahoma to the list, but would the ACC ever add OK and/or OKState? The best opportunity for a heavy football player may be in the SEC and they would have to make that move. Then instead on getting 1 or 2 FB teams they would get 8+. Be careful what you wish for.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Hard to argue with that, but I would say: if that is your main motivation, you won't likely be acting in the best interest of your employer some (most?) of the time. As his job is to represent his constituents, that is a major conflict of interest. Reminds me of politicians now that I think about it. Yuck.

No argument here. The ideal is to balance all the interests equally. The difficulty is that not everyone is willing or capable of accomplishing this. And then you are left to choose whose interest you want to put first, theirs or yours. I'm less likely than when I was younger to automatically assume the ideal needs to be continually offered by someone if others don't support the ideal. People should always give the ideal their best shot, but if it is really broken they should understand that they are not G-d and take steps to support themselves. I haven't come to this conclusion because I'm cynical or angry with humanity. But people not pulling their weight drag not only themselves down but others around them. The biggest problem IMO is that many people have an unrealistic understanding of themselves and where they fit in any group. Most people aren't bad. They just have poor vision.

Reaction Score
True, but at least Notre Dame brings . . . . Notre Dame. Not great the past 10 years, but, it's Notre Dame. What does Syracuse bring?

Reaction Score
ND is heading towards that degree of irrelevance, but for whatever reason, enough fans haven't given up hope on them. So the question is when will that happen? You and I believe that time is now, but our viewpoint hasn't taken hold with enough of the fans to cause consequences. Response: Because it's not true. Notre Dame is much loved and very popular. They just whopped Michigan State. Are they irrelevant also?

Reason isn't the driving the bus here, otherwise NBC would never have given the huge and long term contract to ND. Response: NBC knows exactly what it's doing.

The best case scenario is that ND gets included into the ACC and two or more of the other ACC schools besides FSU and VT can become perennial powerhouses. Response: True, but this will not even come close to happening as long as we provide a conference home for ND's non-revenue sports.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
FSU definitely wants a heavy football player to be added.

Where is that football power materializing from? Except for ND, and, to a lesser extent, WVU, there just aren't any not already in major conferences (sorry BE, at this point you don't count; BXII counts because Texas, Tech, OU, OSU are all better programs than any in the BE).

Reaction Score
How about locking down your own conference before you complain.....Maybe Clemson wants to go to the SEC for better competition....

Reaction Score
Maybe Florida State should try winning its conference before it says that they are too good for the ACC. They haven't won the conference since 2005 and after losing to CLemson today, won't win it again this year. Get over yourselves.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Florida simply hates ever having to play a game where the temperature is below 60 degrees. Always makes me laugh how pro football is filled with great teams from the north and play in all kinds of weather but college football thinks it should be limited to the sunny south.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom