Not declaring for the draft- Aubrey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not declaring for the draft- Aubrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The weaknesses in Nika's game and Aubrey's game have been well chewed over.

Aubrey is not really a guard substitute -- at least not a 1 or a 2 -- because she doesn't reliably know how to distribute the ball, and often gets caught having picked up her dribble without having someone to pass to. But her other virtues at the 3/4 simply outweigh this shortcoming.

Nika's ability to score is much improved this year, as well as her free throw shooting. But she is still offensively limited. She doesn't always finish well at the rim, though she does this better now than before, and her perimeter shot has too low a release point, and she only took a couple of midrange jump shots all season. However, her ability to run the team with good intensity and keep everyone focused is excellent, and also much improved over previous years.

This is why I fully expect Geno to start Nika at pg and to use Aubrey liberally as an explosive 3/4 off the bench. Will either of them get more than 20 mins/g? Maybe not, and that will be a very good sign for us. If Paige and Azzi and Caroline are fully recovered and healthy all year, I expect we'll mainly see Nika in the 1st and 3rd quarters, when opponents are most vulnerable to our intensity. That's "Nika-Time."

Reaction Score
When discussing bringing in players from the portal, one must be careful not to recruit over the kids you have already invested in. Speculation for sure, but I suspect that bringing in portal players and giving them minutes over kids already on the roster may be an explanation why some teams (you know who the big two are) don't have any 2023 recruits and why other teams have so many transfers out. at the end of the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You guys that want to bring in a transfer to play in the post - how do you think the 5 post players already on the roster would like having Geno recruit over them? Especially Ice and Jana who haven’t even had a chance to prove themselves

Reaction Score
You guys that want to bring in a transfer to play in the post - how do you think the 5 post players already on the roster would like having Geno recruit over them? Especially Ice and Jana who haven’t even had a chance to prove themselves
That’s the name of the game now. Obviously doing it excessively is harmful, but bringing in an experienced, veteran, solid player (especially a center) would be pretty hard to turn down for Geno, I imagine. Playing against that in practice will only make the freshman better as well.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That’s the name of the game now. Obviously doing it excessively is harmful, but bringing in an experienced, veteran, solid player (especially a center) would be pretty hard to turn down for Geno, I imagine. Playing against that in practice will only make the freshman better as well.
And once you either actually over recruit for a position, recruit over existing players, or have a rep for doing so, even if not accurate, you've lost the plot.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Players like Lou and Dorka, ones that can pick up UConn’s offense and defense really quickly, are rare. Even Dorka needed a second season to be outstanding.

Lou was an absolute hidden gem and they are not easily found. That she was able to excel at an elite level after playing at Fairfield is stunning. Dorka came from a high Div I school so she might have had an easier transition. Bringing in a kid from, say, George Washington, may not be prepared for the speed and physicality of elite Div I teams.

And how many elite post players are in the portal? they may want to go somewhere there isn’t already 5 posts on the roster

Reaction Score
Does AG have 1 or 2 more years of eligibility left?? I lost count after Covid and injury/redshirts.

Reaction Score
all we have to hope is our Huskies are free from injuries this year, then there will be a good chance

Reaction Score
Players like Lou and Dorka, ones that can pick up UConn’s offense and defense really quickly, are rare. Even Dorka needed a second season to be outstanding.

Lou was an absolute hidden gem and they are not easily found. That she was able to excel at an elite level after playing at Fairfield is stunning. Dorka came from a high Div I school so she might have had an easier transition. Bringing in a kid from, say, George Washington, may not be prepared for the speed and physicality of elite Div I teams.

And how many elite post players are in the portal? they may want to go somewhere there isn’t already 5 posts on the roster
I agree with quite a bit of what Ozimoto and Husky Nan have said, and agree that there is a danger in bringing someone in over an existing player, and that elite ready to play posts are rare and there may not be one available this year.

Having agreed with all that, I still think the portal could be a possible option, and done with some consideration for your concerns. First I wouldn't pursue a 4 at all, just a 5 so Aaliyah and Ayanna would not really be affected. One of the three current C candidates, namely Amari, has not shown enough to be concerned with recruiting over her.

With the other two Nan is right that they have not yet had a chance to show what they can do, and they might resent that, particularly if that transfer had more than one remaining year. One way to lessen that concern is try to find a one-year rental, a covid year, or grad transfer. Even for very talented prospects ,it is difficult to step right into the starting lineup of a championship contender, where you need to be quite good from the very beginning.

If you have a proven experienced one-year solution, it can be a valuable learning year for the youngsters, even aided by having a mentor, and a player to practice against that first year. I think if I were Ice or Jana, I might understand that, but be really upset if someone was cutting into my playing time for more than that one year.

Part of me would love to see Ice and Jana split all the C minutes this year. I also believe they will be terrific over the course of their careers. Another part sees a potential super team loaded at every position with starters and backups, but with a question mark at C, not necessarily a weakness, rather a position that would still be pretty good with the newcomers, but with perhaps a longshot chance of making that position next year about as strong as the others.

The concerns regarding recruiting over existing players are a real tradeoff that needs to be taken under consideration, but I think concentrating on just a C and hopefully a one year fix helps alleviate that at least somewhat. And Husky Nan and others are right that the kind of elite player that could make a difference might not even exist in the portal this year. The numbers and quality in the portal so far is way down from the last couple of years, so it could be a moot point, time will tell.

Reaction Score
How can you be so sure about Ice?
(We all thought AP was going to be a solid contributor.)
You never know about first time players until they get to show their stuff on the court.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With 14 players already receiving scholarships, the most he can add is one...and I hope she is big, strong and a rebounder par excellence!
Any plans Geno has of adding a 15th player from the portal this summer are merely speculation to everyone outside of the UConn BB office at this point. We won't know or hear anything unless/until a player is signed this spring/summer and the ink is dry.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Posters sometimes don't think of that when they suggest bringing in another post player. What does that say to your post players that have not had a chance to show what they can do, or earn playing time? If you recruit over them, that sends a message, one that may not be well received. I think 14 players on the roster is more than enough. I think the play/development of Jana and Ice will be what most of us want to see and monitor once the season begins.

Reaction Score
Excellent news for UConn. I hope that in one more year with Geno, Paige & co she can learn how to apply her chart-topping athleticism in every game circumstance. She could be so darned good.
I am looking forward to Paige vs Caitlin. I'm sure Paige is as well.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Posters sometimes don't think of that when they suggest bringing in another post player. What does that say to your post players that have not had a chance to show what they can do, or earn playing time? If you recruit over them, that sends a message, one that may not be well received. I think 14 players on the roster is more than enough. I think the play/development of Jana and Ice will be what most of us want to see and monitor once the season begins.

UConn has imo a good solid team right now. Every position has really good depth. As that depth imroves throughout the season we will become really really good. We have Jana who is 6'4 and from reading articles and comments from coaches she has skills to play inside and out. We have Aaliyah coming back and we already know how good she is. Thats what we need down low height and athleticism. I would expect with Aaliyah Jana Ice Yanna and Sammuels we are big enough down low. They will all get playtime.

When you get top 10 players who can play anywhere they dont come here to sit, they come here to play. If you think theyre arent any guarantees I beg to differ with you. The same thing goes for top players who are transferring or portal players. They are leaving the team theyre playing for to go someplace to play and in most instances play immediately. What to you think our current roster players who do if we brought in another player to fill their position???????? What do you think it would do to the team chemistry and attitude????? I dont think its gonna happen.

BTW the 6'4 Volpe from NY and the girl 6'6 from Portugal both have interest in UConn and their a year of two away from graduation. What other bigs have interest in UConn that we dont know about????

We are loaded next season and if we're healthy and back to what we were we could go undefeated. Paige Azzi and Caroline if healthy will carry us. Let's face it Paige next season if healthy and back to her form is the best player in the country and in UConns lineup well shes the straw that stirs the drink. UConn will not be good next season they will exceptionally good. Over the next few months we will learn more about where this team is and who is committing to UConn. We will also learn what our nex years seniors (Paige Griff Aaliyah and Nika) plan to do...stay or move on.

Reaction Score
UConn has imo a good solid team right now. Every position has really good depth. As that depth imroves throughout the season we will become really really good. We have Jana who is 6'4 and from reading articles and comments from coaches she has skills to play inside and out. We have Aaliyah coming back and we already know how good she is. Thats what we need down low height and athleticism. I would expect with Aaliyah Jana Ice Yanna and Sammuels we are big enough down low. They will all get playtime.

When you get top 10 players who can play anywhere they dont come here to sit, they come here to play. If you think theyre arent any guarantees I beg to differ with you. The same thing goes for top players who are transferring or portal players. They are leaving the team theyre playing for to go someplace to play and in most instances play immediately. What to you think our current roster players who do if we brought in another player to fill their position???????? What do you think it would do to the team chemistry and attitude????? I dont think its gonna happen.

BTW the 6'4 Volpe from NY and the girl 6'6 from Portugal both have interest in UConn and their a year of two away from graduation. What other bigs have interest in UConn that we dont know about????

We are loaded next season and if we're healthy and back to what we were we could go undefeated. Paige Azzi and Caroline if healthy will carry us. Let's face it Paige next season if healthy and back to her form is the best player in the country and in UConns lineup well shes the straw that stirs the drink. UConn will not be good next season they will exceptionally good. Over the next few months we will learn more about where this team is and who is committing to UConn. We will also learn what our nex years seniors (Paige Griff Aaliyah and Nika) plan to do...stay or move on.

Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure Samuels in not a big, at least compared to the others. I guess you aren't hoping Amari takes some kind of leap.

Reaction Score
I'd agree if it was a player with more than one year of eligibility..........if Geno could find a big graduate student who has proven herself to be a solid defender and rebounder it could help Aaliya against bigger front lines........ that would be a good move..........

PvP

Reaction Score
You clearly stated exactly the reason for bringing in an experienced big. You say "what does that say to your post players that have not had a chance to show what they can do, or earn playing time?" You acknowledge that they are complete unknowns! As you say they haven't earned playing time; so you prefer tossing the dice to seeking proven experience?? Really?

Listen, aside from Aaliyah, which of these prospective bigs have experience that you can actually look at and how much confidence do you have in them? Amari? Plainly Geno has shown zero confidence in her. Yanna? To me a serious disappointment who gets more fouls than layups. That's it folks. All the rest of true bigs have ZERO experience.

How about bringing in someone who has actually shown that they can play the position for a year while mentoring these babes while they settle in? It is often said that it takes far longer for a big to "get it." Just another acknowledgement that it makes no sense to simply rely on Ice or Jana as much as we all hope that they will eventually prove to be great.

There is no guarantee that we can find the experienced big I describe but to not recognize the need is willful blindness.

Reaction Score
I’ve been saying this all season — remember all of our November bellyaching about the teams who took all the transfers? — that the more a coach relies on transfers to load up a team, the less credibility they have talking to potential HS recruits. It’s not just that they risk alienating kids they’ve already recruited. The problem is magnified if you’re the sort of coach who demands a high level of commitment to a team concept, i.e. team culture and playing teams defense. Geno is famous for not promising playing time to the HS kids he recruits. That won’t play nearly as well if these same kids see him bringing in grad transfers, since they’re bound to assume he’s promised them playing time.

Now picture the other side, how difficult it is for a transfer to fit into a team that runs complex O and D schemes. Even if you wanted to take in a transfer, a grad or 5th year transfer, the odds that they will pick it up in time to get the starting minutes they’re seeking are pretty slim. We got lucky with Lou, who picked up the O schemes pretty well this year, though she did less well with the D. The same could be said for Dorka, who also did pretty well in that first year playing behind Liv, but was much better the second year and became the clear starter we needed.

You want Geno to bring in a post player? Will she contribute any better in his schemes than Amari does already? My guess is, short of getting Brink or Boston to agree to come to Storrs, lol, she wouldn’t.

Now I suspect if Geno started Amari in November and she stuck in the starting lineup all season, she’d be pretty good by March. Could Paige and Azzi and Aaliyah win playing next to her? Of course they could. But I doubt that’s what Geno will do, not unless she earns it in practice. Team culture depends on his not compromising on that principle.

I suspect it’s quite possible Amari will be a regular rotation player getting 10-15 minutes per game and that would be the best result for the whole team. Ice and Ayanna and Jana and Q will understand perfectly well that a junior who works hard in practice should play in front of them, since that’s how they were recruited. And if Amari doesn’t work hard in practice, Ice and Jana will play in front of her. Either one of these results is the best for the team because it is what Geno’s principle calls for and we know that principle works.

And just to be clear, I doubt any of our freshmen and sophomores will start right away. The only question is who comes off the bench first. Paige and Stewie started as freshmen, but they were exceptions. Even Diana didn’t start until the end of her freshman year. Our starters will be exactly who we all know: the best five of Paige Azzi Nika Aaliyah Caroline and Aubrey. This is who has earned it in practice every year and, coincidentally, they’re also our best players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Misses the point. Caitlin has put Iowa into the final four, but we beat them handily this year and we did it without Paige or Dorka. If you think we won’t beat them next year with Paige, you’re dreaming. Paige was the better player the last two years because she made her team win. Caitlin is doing much better this year, and against top opponents — Iowa isn’t losing to Creighton anymore. But having Paige in our lineup again will be explosive, like having that magic spark she brought every other time she played for us. No one else brings that, not Caitlin not Boston not Jones not Brink not Reese not Berger not Miller. The closest I’ve seen to that sort of inspirational player this year has been Sheldon. It’s time to get serious in the way we talk about players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom