Northern Arizona Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Northern Arizona Post Game Thread

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When first turned on the game, I saw Castle with his hair tied up. That was the first time I saw him like that and was immediately wondering who the hell is this guard for UConn!
I was doing screen in screen on my laptop (game and chat) and couldn't tell Castle from Ball when I couldn't see the #s

Reaction Score
Hope the team has enough outside shooting. After Alex and Cam, who else will be dependable shooters especially from outside? Who will be this year's Joey C and Nahiem Alleyne?

Reaction Score
Did Fanta, Donny Marshall, and Jim Calhoun just break Bill Walton's record for longest talk-a-thon during game play without ever saying anything about the game we are watching? A fan like my wife hasn't got any idea who the new players are. First game of the year, maybe at least identify the players, and maybe who a foul is called on. That was terrible.
I'm with you Ricker. Hire a crew to do play-by-play and analysis, I expect play-by-play and analysis....... of The Game while In Progress. The history lessons are appropriate during stoppages in play. It's almost as bad as the director cutting the camera to the crowd/bench/cheerleaders during play. Please let us listen to, and watch, the game as it is being played.

Reaction Score
Like what I saw in Samson. If he slips that fast off of every screen he’s gonna have a lot of dunks this year.

Donny had a good comment that Samson didn’t do much his first 2 yrs. because of injuries but that he “ finally looks like a basketball player “
What i liked was that Samson looked more and more comfortable as the game went on. Get comfortable then get confident and he`ll be off and running.

Reaction Score
I don't really read the beat writers as much as I used to so I miss all the background pieces on the players, I had no idea Jaylin is a son of one of the Stewart Twins until it was mentioned on the broadcast. They used to get alot of hype in Slam magazine in HS before they hit USC.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to be great, but..............................it's Northern Arizona. Chill.

Reaction Score
We didnt see much but i was really, really impressed by JStewart. He is much bigger than i thought and its definitely not baby fat. I know he had some injury issues and didnt practice much but man im really excited to see what he can do. He put up 5 points 3 rebounds in 9 minutes and made his presence felt immediately after getting on the floor. Hes got some NBA pedigree and just watching him move on the court he looks well schooled.

Reaction Score
I just wish Clingan would get meaner at the rim. More dunks, more finishes through contact.
He usually dunks everything. I think his timing from being away had his timing off and had him a little less explosive. Some of those would've been alley oops and some of those would've been blocks when he was a tick late.

Reaction Score
UConn covered the spread by about 20, so they did more than they were supposed to do. They could have won by 50.

Reaction Score
Overall it looks like this team is going to be really, really good and a serious threat to repeat. I really like Samsons improvement. The freshmen are very impressive. I cannot wait to see what this team looks like when it all comes together. DC will only get better and better and should be dominating the conference by seasons end. No reason this team shouldnt win 30+ games this season if injuries dont become an issue. Wow im really excited about this team.

Reaction Score
It was a first game. The rotation needs to be developed and I think it will take more time than last year due to the new players. And, we shot 28% form 3 as we had a number of players shooting 3s that probably shouldn't. Spencer looks good on offense, but he seems to have trouble guarding on defense. Right now, Karaban looks like the best NBA prospect and he will be the scoring leader this year.

caw

Reaction Score
We didnt see much but i was really, really impressed by JStewart. He is much bigger than i thought and its definitely not baby fat. I know he had some injury issues and didnt practice much but man im really excited to see what he can do. He put up 5 points 3 rebounds in 9 minutes and made his presence felt immediately after getting on the floor. Hes got some NBA pedigree and just watching him move on the court he looks well schooled.

He's going to be good. He just needs time to learn the system.

Reaction Score
Karaban looked like the star. Spencer looked underwhelming but he’ll be fine, just seemed to defer a bit too much.

Only things i’m critical of are the perimeter D and fouling. Just working out the kinks.
I thought the refs sucked. That 2nd half foul call on Samson was bogus, that Northern Arizona biker dude threw Samson into his own man.

Reaction Score
I feel like this team could easily average 75 a game. Newton/Karaban/Clingan should combine for 45 and then between the rest of a 9 man rotation consisting of Spencer Castle Samson Diarra Solo and Jaylin, 30 points should be easy.

Reaction Score
I just wish Clingan would get meaner at the rim. More dunks, more finishes through contact.

Looks less mobile, less explosive than last year.

Could be the month plus layoff from lower body physical activity. Also he looks heavier than last year which might be be why he didn’t get good lift when he’d dunk.

Reaction Score
Castle's on ball D and recovery agility was super impressive. AJ will be missed but Steph has the ability to be a shutdown defender - no doubt.

I'm just hoping Cam can defend up to Hawkins level - Jordan played some underrated great D down the national championship stretch.

Reaction Score
He usually dunks everything. I think his timing from being away had his timing off and had him a little less explosive. Some of those would've been alley oops and some of those would've been blocks when he was a tick late.
Nah even last year at times he was either rushing the shot or not going up quite strong enough. Happened a couple times this game too, just needs to set himself better.

Reaction Score
Castle's on ball D and recovery agility was super impressive. AJ will be missed but Steph has the ability to be a shutdown defender - no doubt.

I'm just hoping Cam can defend up to Hawkins level - Jordan played some underrated great D down the national championship stretch.
He won’t. Hoping he’ll adjust to the defensive scheme and get better, but he got blown by several times. He’s obviously nowhere near as athletic as Hawkins. I have a feeling we will be relying on Castle to pick up what slack has been left behind. Hopefully Diarra’s offense has improved such that he can be in the game for longer stretches because he is a great defender

Reaction Score
Did Fanta, Donny Marshall, and Jim Calhoun just break Bill Walton's record for longest talk-a-thon during game play without ever saying anything about the game we are watching? A fan like my wife hasn't got any idea who the new players are. First game of the year, maybe at least identify the players, and maybe who a foul is called on. That was terrible.
Lol. Loved it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Looks less mobile, less explosive than last year.

Could be the month plus layoff from lower body physical activity. Also he looks heavier than last year which might be be why he didn’t get good lift when he’d dunk.
Actually I think Calhoun mentioned he has slimmed down a bit. I think it's just a month of not being able to exercise and practice. He'll get there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom