Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 46 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Congrats to Baylor on a nice class. I've heard only good things about NaLyssa Smith. I wanted her for UConn. DeCosta is uber athletic and a rebounding machine, a human pogo stick. Some folks who have seen her say that she can be out of control and misses a lot of layups. She may challenge the patience of some coaches. Scott-Grayson is talented, but I understand that her mother is very demanding. She has played for 3 different schools in 3 states over 4 years. I'm not sure why she left Paul VI to go to Riverdale Baptist, but I wonder if she didn't want to play with Owusu, the highly ranked PG from 2019 who has committed to Maryland. If HSG transfers, count me among those who are not surprised.

If DeCosta proves herself to be sufficiently out of control maybe Kim will let her throw her jacket for her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To our dear friends from Gamecock Nation: It helps to be philosophical at times like this.

Highly touted recruits don't always pan out. Overhyped recruiting classes don't always yield championships. Especially in this day and age: transfers, injuries, team chemistry, player development ... so many things can come between winning the recruiting battles and winning trophies.

When (just to cite one example) a coach like Scott Rueck can take an unheralded group of overachievers and lead them to a win over Baylor in the Elite Eight in Dallas, it kind of makes all those recruitment happy dances in Waco a moot point.

Reaction Score
To our dear friends from Gamecock Nation: It helps to be philosophical at times like this.

Highly touted recruits don't always pan out. Overhyped recruiting classes don't always yield championships. Especially in this day and age: transfers, injuries, team chemistry, player development ... so many things can come between winning the recruiting battles and winning trophies.

When (just to cite one example) a coach like Scott Rueck can take an unheralded group of overachievers and lead them to a win over Baylor in the Elite Eight in Dallas, it kind of makes all those recruitment happy dances in Waco a moot point.
I’m waiting to see how last #1 recruiting class will perform this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I’m waiting to see how last #1 recruiting class will perform this year.
You mean the #1 class for 2017? The consensus among media sources is that distinction fell to Tennessee.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You mean the #1 class for 2017? The consensus among media sources is that distinction fell to Tennessee.
I'm excited to see them play.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

BINGO!!! Thank you Plebe.

Rankings give an indicator of potential. Doesn't mean they will be succesful or win multiple national championships. If they are not coached to be a team and put the team above the individual, there are no guarantees.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

With all due respect, you haven’t seen my happy dance. It’s quite spectacular.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BINGO!!! Thank you Plebe.

Rankings give an indicator of potential. Doesn't mean they will be succesful or win multiple national championships. If they are not coached to be a team and put the team above the individual, there are no guarantees.

Very true. UCONN had three first team AAs last season and look what that got you.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If it makes ANYONE feel better, Ohio State has swung and missed on every prospect they've had for an official visit since November 2015 when McCoy committed, which ended well.....

In the past few months, they've hosted Nixon (Notre Dame), Smith (Baylor), HSG (Baylor), Emily Engstler (No Commitment yet), Janai Crooms (No Commitment Yet)
Never got Jessika Carter for her official, but she chose MSU.

They also had Jordan Horston there for a visit but she is 2019, so she may still take time to decide.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If it makes ANYONE feel better, Ohio State has swung and missed on every prospect they've had for an official visit since November 2015 when McCoy committed, which ended well.....

In the past few months, they've hosted Nixon (Notre Dame), Smith (Baylor), HSG (Baylor), Emily Engstler (No Commitment yet), Janai Crooms (No Commitment Yet)
Never got Jessika Carter for her official, but she chose MSU.

They also had Jordan Horston there for a visit but she is 2019, so she may still take time to decide.

I've never seen a roster be depleted like that. If I were an Ohio State WBB fan I'd be VERY concerned about the state of the program going forward..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very true. UCONN had three first team AAs last season and look what that got you.
But it was not one of the UCONN AA that was beasting Baylor though. She was a Freshmen that you are going to have to tangle with for 3 more years.
Wait, I almost forgot Baylor is taking a year off-to regroup no doubt!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I've never seen a roster be depleted like that. If I were an Ohio State WBB fan I'd be VERY concerned about the state of the program going forward..

Oh...we are. I was talking to my contact within the athletics department and she is worried too. There is a lot of unrest with fans with the way things are going.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh...we are. I was talking to my contact within the athletics department and she is worried too. There is a lot of unrest with fans with the way things are going.
Kevin is kind of a vagabond, encourage him to find his next stop quickly and you will be fine.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

There are a lot of good prospects in the 2019/2020/2021 classes from Ohio and the Midwest in general... if most of these players avoid OSU like the plague and sign elsewhere then it's a telling sign that something is very wrong inhouse. The Buckeyes are a premier program in the region and have nothing but room..

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There are a lot of good prospects in the 2019/2020/2021 classes from Ohio and the Midwest in general... if most of these players avoid OSU like the plague and sign elsewhere then it's a telling sign that something is very wrong inhouse. The Buckeyes are a premier program in the region and have nothing but room..

I'm pretty sure Malina Howard choosing Maryland was part of the downfall of Foster. Ohio and the Midwest has enough talent to be a solid enough top25 program, but so far, what I've heard is a no. It's getting harder and harder with every miss of a recruit. Because how can a player, such a Jordan Horston, picture her playing for the Buckeyes...when she'll have no one to pass to. I just hope it doesn't take until the 2019 class has signed elsewhere for him to get the boot..if that's what is going to happen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Honestly Honesty is the most overrated player in the class. Good athlete and ?

Remember Honesty played at Blair Academy with Espinoza-Hunter for one year (2015-2016). They attended a UConn game together in December 2015. I had a chance to watch a few Blair games that year and I recall wondering why UConn showed interest in HSG.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I thought she was going to be the next Asia Durr to be honest (on purpose). But she tends to disappear in games. I think her 2019 teammate might be a better player (Ashley Osuwu).

A number of McGraw's Bench participants who live in the DC area went to a number of Paul VI games the past year and came away with much the same impression: when she's on, great; but blink and she'll disappear from the action for long stretches of time. One writer thought she might be the fourth most effective player on that Paul VI team behind (in no particular order) Osuwu (committed to your Terps), Amira Collins (committed to Tennessee) and Mikki Vaughn (a frosh at Notre Dame).

Isn't Cara Ursin, the oft-injured but shoot-first point guard from Louisiana, also a frosh at Baylor? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom