Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This Baylor class reminds me of UCLA's 2014 class of Caldwell, , Canada, Billings, Hayes & Drunner. Like that UCLA's 2014 class Baylor will probably be the #1 class. That 2014 UCLA class might graduate this spring without a FF appearance or a player from that class being named AA.

If UCLA hadn't had the bad luck of drawing UConn in the Sweet 16 last year, who knows how far they might have gone. And I don't care what the national award committees said. If Jordin Canada and Monique Billings had worn Notre Dame jerseys last year, both would've been named all-Americans. Both of them had outstanding stats, and both brought great intangibles to the court.

But of course I agree with your larger point that it's premature folly to count the trophies before they're hatched (something that more than a few members of this board are also guilty of).

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If UCLA hadn't had the bad luck of drawing UConn in the Sweet 16 last year, who knows how far they might have gone. And I don't care what the national award committees said. If Jordin Canada and Monique Billings had worn Notre Dame jerseys last year, both would've been named all-Americans. Both of them had outstanding stats, and both brought great intangibles to the court.

Off-topic, but UCLA was playing less than 5 minutes away from me last season @NC A&T .... and I didnt even make the game. Head bang

Like i said in a few other threads... the fact that last season Billings got the same number of votes for the AP All-American team as the rabbit in my backyard is ridiculous. She averaged something like 15-16pts.... over 10 rebounds, and almost 2 blocks a game.... playing in a major conference... on a top 12 team.

edit: No.. my last name isn't Billings, and I'm of no relation to the young lady :p

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But of course I agree with your larger point that it's premature folly to count the trophies before they're hatched (something that more than a few members of this board are also guilty of).
UCLA had 6 losses within it's own conference last year, that alone tends to discount individual stats and consideration for AA. Your conference had Kelsey Plum POY & Sabrina NFOY =less AA slots for your conference. Think baby steps, it was not UCONN standing in the way of UCLA winning its conference tournament for example. It was not UCONN standing in the way of UCLA making a run similar to what Oregon did last year. That was UCLA underachieving with a Junior #1 recruiting class and Oregon overachieving with a Freshmen class.

Plebe

Reaction Score
UCLA had 6 losses within it's own conference last year, that alone tends to discount individual stats and consideration for AA. Your conference had Kelsey Plum POY & Sabrina NFOY =less AA slots for your conference. Think baby steps, it was not UCONN standing in the way of UCLA winning its conference tournament for example. It was not UCONN standing in the way of UCLA making a run similar to what Oregon did last year. That was UCLA underachieving with a Junior #1 recruiting class and Oregon overachieving with a Freshmen class.

Alexis Peterson was named AA and her team suffered 5 losses in a shorter schedule in a weaker conference.

Edit: And you're wrong, UCLA was 13-5 in its conference last year.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So I went to the Baylor board and they've already cleared their trophy case for several National championship trophies due to the commitments of Decosta, HSG, and Smith. I honestly haven't seen any of them play so are they that good? According to one member C.Williams, Prince, Walker, and Collier aren't even comparable to them.

One more thing, what is it with Baylor and violence? One member posted a gif of a man violently kicking someone and they labelled it "Take that, Karen!!!! " (Referring to Aston). Sighhhhhhh

One poster makes some ludicrous comment and suddenly that is how EVERY Baylor fan feels. Be glad that you are not judged on the posts of other UCONN fans. Or that others aren’t judged by your posts would be more accurate?

What Baylor fans think is that we will be competitive enough to challenge for a championship. Sue us for being FANatics. Nobody is clearing space in the trophy case, as you imply.

We are excited about this class. Obviously, you know it is a pretty big deal or you wouldn’t have ventured into the land of the violent for a look see.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Alexis Peterson was named AA and her team suffered 5 losses in a shorter schedule in a weaker conference.
A few question:
1) The ACC is a weaker conference than Pac 12 in WCBB?
2) Doesn't that contradict your earlier statement: "If Jordin Canada and Monique Billings had worn Notre Dame jerseys last year, both would've been named all-Americans. " ?
3) Did you actually look at Alexis Peterson numbers from last year?
4) Alexis Peterson's team was in the Championship game prior to her being named AA, that should count for something right?

Plebe

Reaction Score
A few question:
1) The ACC is a weaker conference than Pac 12 in WCBB?
2) Doesn't that contradict your earlier statement: "If Jordin Canada and Monique Billings had worn Notre Dame jerseys last year, both would've been named all-Americans. " ?
3) Did you actually look at Alexis Peterson numbers from last year?
4) Alexis Peterson's team was in the Championship game prior to her being name AA, that should count for something right?

Yes, the ACC is a weaker conference than the Pac-12. All of the stats and computer rankings confirm this. The Pac-12 got 7 out of 12 teams (58%) into the NCAA tournament. The ACC got 7 out of 15 teams (47%) in the tournament. The Pac-12 went 15-7 (.682) in the tournament; the ACC went 12-7 (.632).

I thought the awards for 2017 were supposed to recognize play for the 2016-17 season, not for previous seasons. But you're just confirming my point, which is that the voting decisions are heavily influenced by brand recognition and prior achievement.

You're making a big deal out of the fact that UCLA had one strong recruiting class and then "failed" to make a Final Four or get an AA named within three years. Never mind the fact that 40% of that 2013 class wasn't playing last year (one injured and one transfer).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Like i said in a few other threads... the fact that last season Billings got the same number of votes for the AP All-American team as the rabbit in my backyard is ridiculous. She averaged something like 15-16pts.... over 10 rebounds, and almost 2 blocks a game.... playing in a major conference... on a top 12 team. edit: No.. my last name isn't Billings, and I'm of no relation to the young lady :p
Kristine Anigwe had far better numbers within the conference and was also not named. The only PAc 12 Forward named to AP team was Chantel Osahor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, the ACC is a weaker conference than the Pac-12. All of the stats and computer rankings confirm this. The Pac-12 got 7 out of 12 teams (58%) into the NCAA tournament. The ACC got 7 out of 15 teams (47%) in the tournament. The Pac-12 went 15-7 (.682) in the tournament; the ACC went 12-7 (.632).

I thought the awards for 2017 were supposed to recognize play for the 2016-17 season, not for previous seasons. But you're just confirming my point, which is that the voting decisions are heavily influenced by brand recognition and prior achievement.
You're making a big deal out of the fact that UCLA had one strong recruiting class and then "failed" to make a Final Four or get an AA named within three years. Never mind the fact that 40% of that 2013 class wasn't playing last year (one injured and one transfer).

Top ACC team (ND) went up against the top Pac 12 team (Stanford) and the Pac 12 got a 1 point win in the tournament. I'm thinking ND missing Turner ( a real AA) might have had something to do with that outcome.

That the AA voting is heavily influenced by prior achievement is not something I though I had to confirm. Nina Davis was on everyone Preseason AA team and was on nobody's final AA team.

I was actually making a big deal about UCLA's 2014 class and that class was not just a "strong recruiting class" it was actually the #1 recruiting class. No worries, UCLA is not the first school with a #1 class that failed to achieve a FF, MD is heading that way and TN is looking for a repeat of that feat. All I'm asking is that you just don't blame it on UCLA being in UCONN's bracket.

Reaction Score
One poster makes some ludicrous comment and suddenly that is how EVERY Baylor fan feels. Be glad that you are not judged on the posts of other UCONN fans. Or that others aren’t judged by your posts would be more accurate?

What Baylor fans think is that we will be competitive enough to challenge for a championship. Sue us for being FANatics. Nobody is clearing space in the trophy case, as you imply.

We are excited about this class. Obviously, you know it is a pretty big deal or you wouldn’t have ventured into the land of the violent for a look see.
My deceased husband was a Baylor Alum so I have a continued interest in the Bears and visit the boards once in awhile to see what's going on. Have a blessed day!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Edit: And you're wrong, UCLA was 13-5 in its conference last year.
Technically Coco is correct. The 6th loss "within the conference" was vs OSU in the Pac 12 Tournament.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Top ACC team (ND) went up against the top Pac 12 team (Stanford) and the Pac 12 got a 1 point win in the tournament. I'm thinking ND missing Turner ( a real AA) might have had something to do with that outcome.

That the AA voting is heavily influenced by prior achievement is not something I though I had to confirm. Nina Davis was on everyone Preseason AA team and was on nobody's final AA team.

I was actually making a big deal about UCLA's 2014 class and that class was not just a "strong recruiting class" it was actually the #1 recruiting class. No worries, UCLA is not the first school with a #1 class that failed to achieve a FF, MD is heading that way and TN is looking for a repeat of that feat. All I'm asking is that you just don't blame it on UCLA being in UCONN's bracket.

Notre Dame is one team out of 15 in the ACC. And Stanford didn't even win the Pac-12 regular season. I can guarantee you that if Notre Dame were in the Pac-12, they would've lost more than two games in the past three years.

I'm just saying that UCLA had the capability to reach the Final Four last year and may well have done so in a different region. In fact, they were the only Pac-12 team to beat every other Pac-12 team in the regular season last year, including a decisive win at Stanford. It's awfully easy to sit high atop UConn Mountain and take a dim view of any program that falls short of the Final Four and doesn't win the AA popularity contest.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Kristine Anigwe had far better numbers within the conference and was also not named. The only PAc 12 Forward named to AP team was Chantel Osahor.

Yeah..... she wasnt named an All-American, but at least she picked up a vote(s).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's awfully easy to sit high atop UConn Mountain and take a dim view of any program that falls short of the Final Four and doesn't win the AA popularity contest.
It is very easy sitting here. Makes it easier to spot the weak excuses like "if UCLA were not in UCONN bracket".... UCLA needs to work harder if it wants to avoid UCONN.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
My deceased husband was a Baylor Alum so I have a continued interest in the Bears and visit the boards once in awhile to see what's going on. Have a blessed day!

Ain’t that special.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon keeps on rolling. I had a pretty good hunch Chavez wasn't picking UW.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Baylor was not ready to offer Chavez, especially after getting commits from Smith, Acosta and HSG. To say she "chose" Oregon over Baylor is a bit misleading.

But good luck to her. May she have an successful and injury-free career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom