Non-Key Tweets | Page 779 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Sounds like a negotiation ploy for UNC and Virginia with the B1G. Can't see UNC and Virginia actually going to the SEC. Maybe a political maneuver to get NC State and Virginia Tech a landing spot in the SEC and give UNC and Virginia the political permission to move to the B1G without leaving their state counterpart high and dry (remember, VT only got the ACC invite after political pressure in Virginia to force the ACC hand).

Reaction Score
A strong segment of the UNC fanbase wants the SEC. I can’t imagine the fallout if UNC teased a move south just to get NC State a life raft. It’s possible UNC is also doing diligence with the B10, but ESPN is the linchpin and I imagine they’d rather keep UNC in-house.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
UNC can go either Big10 or SEC. I think it fits better in the Big10, but there’s also a fit with the SEC as well. UVA? Would there be anything in the SEC that would appeal to any part of UVA? The Big10? It would be almost a perfect fit. The SEC? Not so much.

From a market point a view, does UVA even bring anything? UMD already gives the Big10 the DC market. What markets would UVA actually provide? The Norfolk market is the 43rd biggest market while Richmond is 58th. Not a real moneymaker. Are people really lining up to see UVA football and basketball? I don’t have the data on that one. I’m not sure Fox is on board with their addition. UVA has 2 strengths: non-revenue sports and academics. Would the academics piece be enough to get the Big10 presidents to push against Fox for their addition. Would UNC be in a strong enough position to demand UVA be with them?

The more I think about this, the more I think the end game is somewhere between 16 and 20. If Notre Dame and UNV choose not to join, I think we stay at 16. History has shown us that entrance into the Big10 requires AAU affiliation. Do we know for sure? Nope, but there hasn’t been a recent school added without it. Remember, Nebraska was AAU when they joined. Notre Dame might be the only exception. That leaves the Big10 with the following ACC schools: Pitt, UVA, UNC, Duke and GT. That’s it. Not much to choose from.

These wild conferences are fun to come up with and the CR Twitterati love to get their hits. Most if the stuff thrown up is useless. Just like Clemson talking to the Big10. Could they be? Sure, why not? Will it amount to anything? Probably not. This is all throwing dookie against the wall looking for hits.

Reaction Score
A strong segment of the UNC fanbase wants the SEC. I can’t imagine the fallout if UNC teased a move south just to get NC State a life raft. It’s possible UNC is also doing diligence with the B10, but ESPN is the linchpin and I imagine they’d rather keep UNC in-house.
Zero clue about any realignment malarkey (likely similar to most), but wonder how things work out with both UNC Chapel Hill and NC State being members of the UNC System.

IIRC from realignment V.0X several years back, the latter body selects a majority of NC State's Board of Trustees with some of the latter and UNC Chapel trustees concurrently acting as trustees of the overall UNC System. Competing interests, shared fiduciary responsibilities, etc.?

Possibilities: UNC cashes in with B1G, NC State not so much as ACC-remainder? Or, SEC throws smaller brand NC State the life raft @JeepCSC references for a further piece of fast growing Research Triangle and Charlotte markets/eyes ... ?????

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

yes, I think it's safe to say ESPN views UNC as a more valuable brand than NC State.

Reaction Score
FWIW each UNC system campus has it's own BOT's who handle day to day operation of each campus. They are appointed by the BOG who are appointed by the state legislature. UNC would need approval from both for any conference move

Reaction Score
I've always thought that UNC, if given a choice, would choose the SEC.

Keeps them and their fans more Southern aligned and the SEC is more comfortable playing fast & loose with the rules when it comes to student athletes.

I would be surprised if UVA, again assuming they have a choice, chose the SEC over the B1G. If the money is the same they would likely prefer the academics that the B1G brings

Reaction Score
I've always thought that UNC, if given a choice, would choose the SEC.

Keeps them and their fans more Southern aligned and the SEC is more comfortable playing fast & loose with the rules when it comes to student athletes.

I would be surprised if UVA, again assuming they have a choice, chose the SEC over the B1G. If the money is the same they would likely prefer the academics that the B1G brings
UVA and UNC are at the same level academically and UVA cheats like UNC and everyone else.

Reaction Score
A large contingent of the UNC fanbase wants the B10, because of academics and because the SEC doesn’t currently sponsor rowing and field hockey etc. I think the Mack Brown hiring signaled the football crowd has the upper hand at the moment (ie SEC), but who knows.

UVA’s problem is I’m not sure they are valuable by themselves. Would the B10 want them on their own if they weren’t a springboard further South? Would the SEC think twice if UNC didn’t insist? They are a program that might be 7th on a lot of lists of 6 additions.

Reaction Score
A large contingent of the UNC fanbase wants the B10, because of academics and because the SEC doesn’t currently sponsor rowing and field hockey etc. I think the Mack Brown hiring signaled the football crowd has the upper hand at the moment (ie SEC), but who knows.

UVA’s problem is I’m not sure they are valuable by themselves. Would the B10 want them on their own if they weren’t a springboard further South? Would the SEC think twice if UNC didn’t insist? They are a program that might be 7th on a lot of lists of 6 additions.
I agree that UVA is not a likely one off target but they profile very good as a plus 1 for Notre Dame if the other 4 schools are heading to the SEC. UVA biggest issue in this scenario is are they a better plus 1 than Georgia Tech as Notre Dame's partner?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s kind of worse than that. They are using us and UMass to troll Rutgers.
I enjoy the trolling….. better than being forgotten.

And trolling will get harder after this season when we are a different program on the field.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

1657288642186.jpeg

We’ll leave the lights on for you.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm sure I'll take a beating here for my over optimism, but UConn isn't a bad choice. With B1G schools coming to town and BC being irrelevant, we could make inroads for them into all of New England, Fairfield County and some of NY. You have to look past what we've been and see what we could be.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I'll take a beating here for my over optimism, but UConn isn't a bad choice. With B1G schools coming to town and BC being irrelevant, we could make inroads for them into all of New England, Fairfield County and some of NY. You have to look past what we've been and see what we could be.
A longshot but this is a good point. It depends if the B1G values New England.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom