Nika: Who among the past excellent UConn PGs does she remind you of? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika: Who among the past excellent UConn PGs does she remind you of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Missed the time limit to edit but just would add that I totally agree with most assessments above. At this point Nika isn't in the conversation in terms of great Uconn Point Guards but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more infectious passionate team first teammate. Love what she brings!
I agree. She isn't a lot of things and is a lot of other things. She has this something you cannot define. She does change a game, she does make Uconn a lot tougher and willing to take more hits. Whatever it is, give me more NIKA;s

Reaction Score
In temperament I think Rizotti. Nika is only aY sophomore. I suspect that she has not reached the peak of her offensive potential just yet. That picture floating around of her next to Sue Bird is intriguing but she has a ways to go to get to Sue Bird level. ;)
Yet, I'd bet, as nice as Sue is , she'd love the comparison.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I wonder why Geno inserted her in as a starter over Evina, then.....the latter has more offense. Our memories of past PGs are colored by the level of athletes they played against, of course.....and the skill sets of the other players on the team. For this team, Geno must think that a pass-first, defense-first energetic guard who mans the point of attack on defense has high value, especially in getting everyone involved in both sides of the ball.

Geno jokingly downplaying Paige's offense and emphasize her playmaking and defense when she returns, must give you an idea of the importance he places on playmaking to fully engage the rest of the resources in the team.
First of all, by having Nika play PG, nobody is playing out of position, meaning that their method of play has not changed at all. The PG is the quarterback who sets up the plays, the tempo, and gets the ball to those who could score. We need Evina to score, and not to worry about what everyone else has to do. Nika is dedicated to do just that, so that is why she is playing PG, and not Evina or anyone else.

Reaction Score
In certain respects Nika reminds me of the player that Meghan referred to as “the human floor mop”, Ashley Valley. Headlong dives across the floor, good defense and scoring when needed.

Reaction Score
I’m a big Nika fan. Her emotions are contagious. Her effort is unmatched. She never quits. But, it ends there. She’ not close to any PG’s mentioned here.
This exactly. Love her to pieces, but nope. This thread shouldn’t even exist.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of comparisons to former players.

Nika is Nika. Her drive, tenacity, energy, determination make her who she is. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reaction Score
Whatever we may think of Nika, these are Geno's words about her:

"One thing about Nika, she's a gamer. She just is. She thinks in her mind that she's as good a shooter as Azzi and Paige. That's slightly delusional, but she thinks she is." - Geno Auriemma on Nika Mühl

Reaction Score
First of all, by having Nika play PG, nobody is playing out of position, meaning that their method of play has not changed at all. The PG is the quarterback who sets up the plays, the tempo, and gets the ball to those who could score. We need Evina to score, and not to worry about what everyone else has to do. Nika is dedicated to do just that, so that is why she is playing PG, and not Evina or anyone else.
Ah, we are quick to define what a PG should do or limited to doing or circumscribe Nika's play. And yet, Paige is a PG and she is not the only player in WBB that plays PG with unlimited license to do everything else.......Evina played PG at Tenn.

While your point is valid, the real reason Geno inserted her as a starter is to get that intensity at the point of attack on defense from the opening tap to set the tone - primary value of Nika playing PG. Historically, UConn WBB defense often sets the tone for its offense. But, he also wishes Nika to knock down those open 3s she is often accorded by opponents. Granted, it is not easy for NIka to quickly adjust her mental gears and become consistently proficient on offense but we have seen progress.

Reaction Score
I’m a big Nika fan. Her emotions are contagious. Her effort is unmatched. She never quits. But, it ends there. She’ not close to any PG’s mentioned here.
I agree. She is no where close to any past top PGs. She works hard, has a lot of energy but her court vision, ball control, and shooting needs work.

Reaction Score
I agree. She is no where close to any past top PGs. She works hard, has a lot of energy but her court vision, ball control, and shooting needs work.
True she is very tough and aggressive but her defense is slow and she can't shoot and her ball handling is weak.

Reaction Score
Several different excellent PGs for UConn WBB but I didn't see anyone before Jen Rizzotti. Who does Nika most resemble in what she brings to the team's play? Not Sue or Diana, certainly but who.....Rene Montgomery? Caroline Doty? Little Mo? Crystal? Anyone? She can't be that unique.

Maybe Jen Rizzotti? (who had more offense though)

They did need her to come back and help stabilize play.....
No one she can't be compared to any of our premier guards from the past.

Reaction Score
In temperament I think Rizotti. Nika is only a sophomore. I suspect that she has not reached the peak of her offensive potential just yet. That picture floating around of her next to Sue Bird is intriguing but she has a ways to go to get to Sue Bird level. ;)
It’s going a ways back but Nika’s playing style as a point guard reminds me a lot of Kiersten Walters. Walters had bad luck with injuries while at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom