Nika: Who among the past excellent UConn PGs does she remind you of? | The Boneyard

Nika: Who among the past excellent UConn PGs does she remind you of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Several different excellent PGs for UConn WBB but I didn't see anyone before Jen Rizzotti. Who does Nika most resemble in what she brings to the team's play? Not Sue or Diana, certainly but who.....Rene Montgomery? Caroline Doty? Little Mo? Crystal? Anyone? She can't be that unique.

Maybe Jen Rizzotti? (who had more offense though)

They did need her to come back and help stabilize play.....

Reaction Score
In temperament I think Rizotti. Nika is only a sophomore. I suspect that she has not reached the peak of her offensive potential just yet. That picture floating around of her next to Sue Bird is intriguing but she has a ways to go to get to Sue Bird level. ;)

Reaction Score
Several different excellent PGs for UConn WBB but I didn't see anyone before Jen Rizzotti. Who does Nika most resemble in what she brings to the team's play? Not Sue or Diana, certainly but who.....Rene Montgomery? Caroline Doty? Little Mo? Crystal? Anyone? She can't be that unique.

Maybe Jen Rizzotti? (who had more offense though)

They did need her to come back and help stabilize play.....
The attitude is just like Jen. I was waiting for Nika to cross over on her breakaway to the basket.

Reaction Score
You guys know UConn history better than me. I like to think she's unique! A linebacker playing point guard.
Maybe she actually does some things better than any point guard at UConn.
Rebounding
Screening- when she passes and screens, do you think defenders enjoy getting hit by her. Are the great BY statisticians keeping
track of her screens? Think that impacts a game?
Want to graph the impact of Nika on the UConn team defense. What's the line look like- definite steep ski slope.
Intangibles- off the chart.
Wonder how her attitude affects the team off the court? Preparation, film room, locker room, weight room, running, practice.
Numbers crunchers- take this thread off

Reaction Score
Jen Rizzotti - 100%
Not going to be a Sue Bird ever. Just different players with different skill sets. She is very much like Jen except that Jen could finish going to the basket. That is Nika's big weakness. She doesn't drive and finish, goes to her left unsteadily and often walks, and doesn't shoot a pull up, which by the way she does own. She needs a summer of training and will be unreal if she does.

Reaction Score
Offensively - Maria Conlon with more upside (and a little quicker but I see their roles similarly)
Defensively - Kia Nurse (I think they are both really great, physical defenders)

EDIT: I think others are spot on saying Jen Rizzotti in terms of her nature and competitiveness. It's hard to put all the factors into one person!

Reaction Score
Another name that comes to mind is Pam Webber. She didn't play with the same tenacity and style as Nikka but was a valuable piece on the 1994-95 championship team without necessarily being a "star". Was a co-captain and a starter but over shadowed by the likes of Lobo, Wolters, Sales, Rizzotti, and Elliott. Her statistics weren't gaudy (6.1 pts, 2.7 rebounds per game) but was a great playmaker as Nikka is and contributed to the team success in ways that didn't always show up in the box score as does Nikka.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not going to be a Sue Bird ever. Just different players with different skill sets. She is very much like Jen except that Jen could finish going to the basket. That is Nika's big weakness. She doesn't drive and finish, goes to her left unsteadily and often walks, and doesn't shoot a pull up, which by the way she does own. She needs a summer of training and will be unreal if she does.
Comparisons are hard. The overall athleticism of the current opponents is generally greater than what Jen faced. Sheer hustle and determination is similar. Jen was, if I recall, National POY or if not some sort of similar recognition. Nika doesn’t have the offense yet to compare with any of our better point guards who were all AA quality. But she has really held the fort for a pretty decent point.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I can see the Jen in her in terms of that competitive nature.
I agree she is very intense and competitive but in terms of on court production, Jen Rizzotti was superior in virtually every way! Frankly, I see this as a bit of a slap in the face for Jen. Jen Rizzotti was a two time Kodak All-American, she was a first team All-American for the AP, UPI, and USBWA, Big East Player of the Year, AP Player of the Year, and won the Wade and Naismith awards! Let’s get a little perspective here!

Reaction Score
She is Ashley Battle on offense in a sense that she can have that 8-0 spurt alone and then in the same game, throw up a bunch of bricks and make some plays that make you want to scream. And on D, she is a hybrid of Stacy Hansmeyer and Kia Nurse.

Reaction Score
I agree she is very intense and competitive but in terms of on court production, Jen Rizzotti was superior in virtually every way! Frankly, I see this as a bit of a slap in the face for Jen. Jen Rizzotti was a two time Kodak All-American, she was a first team All-American for the AP, UPI, and USBWA, Big East Player of the Year, AP Player of the Year, and won the Wade and Naismith awards! Let’s get a little perspective here!
Some Nika folks with take that as a slam,no just the truth

Reaction Score
Have to agree with Zarathustra in that Nika is unique. Thinking back I just can't think of a comparative player. Nika has such a demonstrative personality, with such an expressive face and an unmatched, in my memory, exuberance at each and every positive play of her teammates. Literally every positive play of any of her teammates is met with at minimum a high five and much more frequently a chest pump or bear hug.

She is immersed completely in the game and you just can't help to feel her intensity when watching her play. I can definitely understand why Geno has said that the team just plays differently with her on the floor. Energy, passion and intensity personified.

A few games ago when Caroline made a big play, Nika came flying in with a big chest bump, both Nika's exuberance and Caroline's somewhat shocked facial expression reminded me of the story of one of Magic Johnson's first games with the Lakers. The Lakers just won the game, it may have been Magic's first and when the final whistle blew Magic came flying over and jumped onto Kareem, a huge grin on his face. Kareem kind of peeled him off and told him it's a long season. Didn't matter to Magic his joy was everything for him in the moment, Nika has that same joy!

Reaction Score
Missed the time limit to edit but just would add that I totally agree with most assessments above. At this point Nika isn't in the conversation in terms of great Uconn Point Guards but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more infectious passionate team first teammate. Love what she brings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom