Nika Muhl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yeah, and more people pay to see Katy Perry than the National Philharmonic (on hiatus before the pandemic IIRC), but that doesn't mean Katy Perry is better than Beethoven. (Nothing against Katy Perry, BTW, I like her but recognize that she appeals to the least-common denominator, and I can't call up another current pop star.)

I personally like defense, whether in basketball or baseball. What I hate in basketball is the nonstop whistles for stuff like handchecking.
I hate whistles, but I like Katy Perry quite a bit. Not that I think she is "better" than Beethoven, but she is a lot of fun. Watch her new video with Zooey Deschanel being mistaken for Katy and abducted by aliens. BTW, Zooey saves the earth at the last second. Thus preserving the ability of humankind to enjoy Beethoven some more. Should have done a spoiler alert, but was just too pumped! ;)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She needs a lot more deveolpment b4 attaining DPOY status..how about start with a solid 10 minutes per game?
weall know where she is. I said what I would like her to be. There’s no need to get negative. It’s not informative and adds nothing to the discussion.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
She has to understand no one wants to watch a 40 to 28 game every night..Offense is what people pay to see..at least in America.. :confused:
Of course you are aware that Nika averaged double figures while leading her league with 8.5 assists per game. So she is probably aware of offense. Wouldn’t you think so?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
weall know where she is. I said what I would like her to be. There’s no need to get negative. It’s not informative and adds nothing to the discussion.
I don't think we all know where she is defensively. I believe some (not necessarily you) are thinking she is closer to were we projected hence words like "stopper". Nika has not "stopped" anyone and has not demonstrated the defensive techniques to adequately guard the ball handlers of UMASS-Lowell and Seton Hall.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think we all know where she is defensively. I believe some (not necessarily you) are thinking she is closer to were we projected hence words like "stopper". Nika has not "stopped" anyone and has not demonstrated the defensive techniques to adequately guard the ball handlers of UMASS-Lowell and Seton Hall.
Blame that on her sore ankle.:confused: She'll be fine.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I will say I do think it is easier to get a "hard player" to play "softer" than it is a "soft player" to play "harder" simply because of the mind set of "how hard to I have to go to get harder or am I to hard/agressive?" vs. not reaching in as much or pushing as much. The harder player is already wanting to do something, where as the softer player is not doing as much.
Give me "forgiveness" (hard player) over permission (soft player) every time provided the forgiveness is not for the same acts/offense...:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we have no idea what to expect from Nika at this point. She was clearly one of the freshmen, along with Paige & Aaliyah, who’s ability Geno praised the most prior to the start of the season. Unfortunately, we learned just prior to the start of the season that Nika missed some practice with a foot injury. Subsequently, after some very limited contributions in the first two games, when Nika’s foot was probably still giving her problems, she’s been put on ice for several weeks.

Right now, the best we can hope for is that Nika’s foot issues completely resolve themselves. Then, hopefully, we will all get to see the real Nika Muhl in action. I do think she can still be a contributor this year, but first and foremost Nika needs to be healthy.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I will elucidate. The points I make are these.
1- We all see that Nika is far from a finished product offensively and defensively. And that she has not 'stopped' anyone.
2- We all should see the attitudes and athleticism that she brings to the first 2 games.
3- My opinion is that she has the necessary abilities to become a superior defender
4- To respond, as @bluedevil did, that she has to understand that offense is important is off the point of my post and unnecessarily negative.

Lastly she has relocated to a foreign country in a vastly different culture. She is undergoing COVID-19 precautions to an extent greater than most of us. She has the typical issues of a freshman in college and more succinctly the pressures of a freshman on the UConn basketball team. Lastly she has been dealing with a worsening foot injury that has hindered her development and her play.

She doesn't deserve any of us posting negative remarks of her performance to date. You would think we have learned from the previous '0 for America' situation that has ended with raves for that maligned player.

And I apologize for my typographic error that obviously offended you to point you had to point out your correction.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will elucidate. The points I make are these.
1- We all see that Nika is far from a finished product offensively and defensively. And that she has not 'stopped' anyone.
2- We all should see the attitudes and athleticism that she brings to the first 2 games.
3- My opinion is that she has the necessary abilities to become a superior defender
4- To respond, as @bluedevil did, that she has to understand that offense is important is off the point of my post and unnecessarily negative.

Lastly she has relocated to a foreign country in a vastly different culture. She is undergoing COVID-19 precautions to an extent greater than most of us. She has the typical issues of a freshman in college and more succinctly the pressures of a freshman on the UConn basketball team. Lastly she has been dealing with a worsening foot injury that has hindered her development and her play.

She doesn't deserve any of us posting negative remarks of her performance to date. You would think we have learned from the previous '0 for America' situation that has ended with raves for that maligned player.

And I apologize for my typographic error that obviously offended you to point you had to point out your correction.
Your last two post began the same way ("We all") -is rather presumptive and thus the rub. The BY is a collection of opinions and the next thing we all see the same way will be a first. I don't think @bluedevil was being negative just stating an opinion which happens to be different than yours.
PS i have no Idea what typo error you are referring to & I'd probably be the last person on the board to be pointing out typos.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course you are aware that Nika averaged double figures while leading her league with 8.5 assists per game. So she is probably aware of offense. Wouldn’t you think so?
The point I was trying to make is that when she said the defense in America is soft ..that there is a reason for it..its to let offense dominate...no one wants to see 35 to 19 games..sorry if you did not see my point...

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Her favorite player is.......

drum roll.......

Dennis Rodman!!!

A defensive maniac. Actually, "defensive" is superfluous.

Nika and Kim Jong Un really like the guy.

Those Detroit Piston bad boy teams with Ricky Mahorn (Weaver High School), Laimbeer, Rodman et al played in a different NBA era. They would never allow their **** in the league now. If you wanted to get a technical or get thrown out of a game back then, you had to really earn it.

But don`t tell that to Nika.

This thread is moving boldly onward because many of us are really interested in and intrigued by Nika. I`m really hoping that she is out there healthy for DePaul. Rooting for her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think we have no idea what to expect from Nika at this point. She was clearly one of the freshmen, along with Paige & Aaliyah, who’s ability Geno praised the most prior to the start of the season.

If Geno's high on her, I expect good things full stop. Maybe later than I'd originally hoped, but I still expect good things. Look at the defense Paige has been playing (pretty good to my eye, especially for a freshman). He said Nika's twice the defender that Paige is.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Don't take that literally. In context, it was intended to be motivation for Paige. It wasn't meant as an objective assessment.
Of course I don’t take it literally, but I doubt he said it (on camera) if he doesn’t think Nika is a better defender.

Reaction Score
Don't take that literally. In context, it was intended to be motivation for Paige. It wasn't meant as an objective assessment.
True, but in addition to motivation for Paige, Geno's quip was an affirmation of Nika's willingness and ability to get after it on defense. It served both purposes. He never would have invoked Nika's name if there wasn't a kernel of truth to his comment. Maybe not twice as good a defender, but a significantly better defender at this point in time.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
The point I was trying to make is that when she said the defense in America is soft ..that there is a reason for it..its to let offense dominate...no one wants to see 35 to 19 games..sorry if you did not see my point...
But at UConn Geno is quite clear offense always starts with defense and that is a defining difference. Did you not hear Evina's description of the difference at UConn is the stressing of defense and how during drills 'if your man scores that is a problem.' And I delight in watching the intricacies of the UConn defense. To me the switching on all screens (ball and back) and picks and the recoveries. I enjoy the communication that makes weakside help and recovery that takes place. I relish the frustration of the opposition when they can't get to their favorite places on the floor or execute their bread and butter. That's UConn basketball. Anyone can score with no defense. A wide open uncontested 3 is boring.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Your last two post began the same way ("We all") -is rather presumptive and thus the rub. The BY is a collection of opinions and the next thing we all see the same way will be a first. I don't think @bluedevil was being negative just stating an opinion which happens to be different than yours.
PS i have no Idea what typo error you are referring to & I'd probably be the last person on the board to be pointing out typos.
I understand. I did not mean to use the 'we all' as presumptive. I tried to use it in an inclusive manner so that I would not be putting myself forward as some type of expert. I will be more judicious of my use of 'we all' in the future to avoid offense. Actually I assume if I see something it is obvious to everyone on the board. I typically respect clearly stated opinions and took umbrage at the thought that he was disparaging the lady.

Reaction Score
based purely on her videos Ms Muhl appears to be a very aggressive defender who also has a knack for stealing passes, has really intuitive passing skills and likes to take the ball strongly to the basket as her second offensive tool other then passing..........my big question is whether she could shoot the ball..........I assume by the end of the season all of those observations will be proven true other then the shooting part......

Reaction Score
True, but in addition to motivation for Paige, Geno's quip was an affirmation of Nika's willingness and ability to get after it on defense. It served both purposes. He never would have invoked Nika's name if there wasn't a kernel of truth to his comment. Maybe not twice as good a defender, but a significantly better defender at this point in time.
I believe in a video I saw what Geno said was something like it was appropriate that Paige was number 5 and Nika 10, because Paige was half the defender Paige was. Obviously it was a motivational dig that probably also had some truth to it.

I have a request and a point to make. First there are many videos of Nika on youtube. If you want to speculate on what Nika is or is not, go check those out. Look at the most current two or three and then start to form your opinions. We also have statistics that might raise some questions about her shooting and scoring. I don't know how that will translate, on paper she appears to be a mediocre shooter, good enough to take an open three, but with the rest of her scoring coming on hard drives to the basket.

Everything else, though, I am very impressed with. As pointed out by others, she usually leads her league in assists, and is among the leaders in steals. Her rebounding numbers are more like a small forward than a point guard. I think if you watch those videos you will see a Paige like passer. Very creative, and of course before either had played their first game, Geno said they were both "excellent passers" and Christyn called Nika's passes "crazy good".

So in terms of her potentially being a liability on offense, remember when she is on the court, everybody else becomes a better shooter because of easier opportunities, just like with Paige. On defense there isn't a ton of extended video on her defense, except for the steals but those clips are more than impressive. Picking off the dribble and going in for layups. I have never seen a highlight package that had more of those than with Nika.

Take a look, see what you think. You will be in a much better position to appraise her potential, combined with the comments we hear from coaches and players. Don't forget that CD made a comparison to Jennifer Rizzotti as well. At this point those videos and comments from coaches and players are far more important to the analysis than the reaction to a players first two games while injured.

Reaction Score
I have indicated in a couple threads prior to play this year that I am excited to see what Nika can bring to our team this season and throughout her UCONN career. Her start has been hampered by the apparent foot injury and perhaps some frustration that the type of defense she will need to play in the NCAA is different than that she has thus far played in Croatia and internationally ( it would seem very effectively). I for one will and would encourage others to actually watch for what she brings (hopefully in a soon return to the floor) to the team as the season progresses.

My hopes are high for several reasons. (1) As noted she received early praise from Geno as well as others (such as Popovich - for her time at the camp she and Paige attended); (2) she made a very conscious and apparently intentional choice to come to UCONN ( indicated she has always followed them, 'Maya-her favorite Husky, since she willingly did everything needed by her team', viewed Geno coaching videos, and signed after Paige - the #1 rated player in our country who plays her same position, not because she sought to displace her but wanted to practice alongside/against her - play with the best; (3) she is very self aware/critical, in past interviews she understands and identifies her strengths and weaknesses - has indicated a need to improve her shooting to contribute at this next level; (4) she loves the game (tried many sports, came to basketball late and loved it) and she loves being a Husky (does she look disengaged in any of the pictures we've seen of the team posted on the Boneyard - I would suggest the opposite. She also seems to have a great personality, intense drive and is very likable with a very positive disposition from what I've seen. Nice teammate material IMPO.

How about we let the kid play and then see what we think?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
based purely on her videos Ms Muhl appears to be a very aggressive defender who also has a knack for stealing passes, has really intuitive passing skills and likes to take the ball strongly to the basket as her second offensive tool other then passing..........my big question is whether she could shoot the ball..........I assume by the end of the season all of those observations will be proven true!

From your lips......... also I fixed it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc