Next year's starting lineup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next year's starting lineup

Reaction Score
Think Crystal Dangerfield starts before Walker does. Maybe both, but Stevens starts for sure - you can't sit her down. So when you start Walker you have to pick one of this year's starters to sit down. Who is your pick for the bench?

My only question is if MW is truly a talent like a MM OR DT by years end how do u keep her on bench?? I'm not saying that's going to happen but it could.

All I know is for me Kia, Lou, phees, and Williams are locks. So plug in who u think makes a better team. I really think we need more ball handing.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Batouly will get a lot of minutes off the bench as the go-to forward when either Gabby or Napheesa gets in foul trouble or needs a rest. That is the same role as Natalie had for most of this season, but Batouly will be more compatible with UConn's fast-paced style.

Because of Batouly, I expect that Gabby and Napheesa will log fewer minutes next year, which is a good thing. And unfortunately, I think that Natalie will see far fewer minutes next year -- she may find herself at the end of the bench.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I know this is w-a-a-a-y premature, but I can't help thinking about it. Does anyone have any insight as to what Geno plans for next year's starting lineup?

No insight, just speculation! A lot depends on the development and maturity of a few players. The Q&D answer is just what others have said: Collier, Williams, Stevens, Samuelson, Nurse. How could this change? How big of an improvement will Dangerfield make? If Dangerfield makes a similar type of improvement as Collier and Williams made, then someone else sits. Who? If KLS does not improve defensively, she may be instant offense of the bench. At the Oregon pre-game presser Geno went on about KLS trying to decide what is important to do and what is not because he has to play her. Can't do that next year. The other three have a far better total game and Nurse and Collier can shot the 3FG at 40+%. Stevens is an experienced and skilled player ... oh, yeah 6'6" tall. She will make games against big teams much more comfortable. BTW, she isn't too bad from the arc, 36%. What if Megan Walker is as billed ... the second comimg of Maya Moore? Maybe she still is a reserve. Maya started because of injuries in her freshman season. Maybe Walker can play defense and score. A lot of maybes. In any case this team will be loaded!

Reaction Score
My only question is if MW is truly a talent like a MM OR DT by years end how do u keep her on bench?? I'm not saying that's going to happen but it could.

All I know is for me Kia, Lou, phees, and Williams are locks. So plug in who u think makes a better team. I really think we need more ball handing.

Has Meg Walker been considered a once-in-decade type player? I remember DT was thought to be that and I can remember Hoopgulrlz gushing over Maya Moore in a tournament as a junior saying they hadn't seen that type of play that she was unreal.

As far as ball-handling; why?

Nurse and Williams handle the ball like guards.
Lou handles the ball extremely like a guard but not quick.
Supposedly Stevens handles the ball extremely well and so Collier's handle will improve. It's pretty good now.

Reaction Score
Has Meg Walker been considered a once-in-decade type player? I remember DT was thought to be that and I can remember Hoopgulrlz gushing over Maya Moore in a tournament as a junior saying they hadn't seen that type of play that she was unreal.

As far as ball-handling; why?

Nurse and Williams handle the ball like guards.
Lou handles the ball extremely like a guard but not quick.
Supposedly Stevens handles the ball extremely well and so Collier's handle will improve. It's pretty good now.

Would Geno ever consider bringing GW off the bench next year as instant energy player? Sounds nuts I know but think of this:
Lets assume AS is as advertised an all american candidate, so you have to lock her into Center, NC is a lock to start at 4, Lou at 3 and Kia at 1 or 2... You need a guard right?

Danger
Kia
lou
Collier
Stevens...

See the problem is Stevens kinda messes things up. Your kinda not suppose to add a girl of her caliber, ready to play to a team with an all americans at 4 and 5 locked in, probably coming off a championship..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My first thought it that who plays the most minutes, especially at key times, is more important than who starts.

My second thought is that no one gets "demoted." Kia has been a starter her entire career, after her first 2 games, so that will not change. Gabby, Lou, and Napheesa likely will be All-Americans. They will start. So, that's 4 of the 5.

Then the question becomes: Azura with her height and skill or Crystal with her quickness and ball-handling? I go back and forth on this. Some folks seem 100% certain it is Azura. A smaller number think it will be Crystal. As of now, I'm actually leaning toward Crystal. As good as Azura is, why do I think she might not start? See my first point--Maya early in her first year and Kaleena for most of her first year did not start, but they played 30 minutes or so and finished games. Azura will get LOTS of playing time, which is the most important thing, whether she starts or not. If Z starts, that leaves ball-handling to Kia, Lou, and maybe Gabby. I don't think that is Geno's first choice. A second point may relate to Azura's status as a redshirt Junior. She will be WNBA eligible after next season. Geno may be able to keep her around by enticing her with the starting slot her senior year. (Some speculate that he accepted her as a transfer only based on an agreement to stay for 3 years and play for 2 years.) After Kia and Gabby graduate, the replacement pattern will be obvious: Pheesa, Lou, and Crystal continue to start, Azura steps in for Gabby, and Megan steps in for Kia.

Reaction Score
With the team playing in exhibition games in italy in August geno will have the team set up before the season starts which IMO isn't really fair to the rest of wcbb. Also remember on uconn it doesn't really matter who starts because everyone is treated equally and expected to perform at a high level no matter when your on the floor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO there are 4 locks for starters and it's not even close. Nurse, Williams, Lou, and Collier. There is absolutely zero question those 4 will start. The only way one of them comes off the bench is if they are injured and need to be eased back into the lineup.

The 5th starting spot will come down to Danger or Stevens. People in the "know" have told me it will be Stevens. I disagree. Nurse is simply not a PG. Either Danger or Chong is in games almost 100% of the time. Kia is rarely, if ever, asked to be the 1. I believe Danger starts and Stevens comes off the bench.

Reaction Score
so all you really think any of our guards can be efficient at the point? I'm a Celtics fan, and a few years ago our point went down with an injury and the coach moved our SG to point temporarily. It is not looked back upon with fond thoughts by many Celtic fans, I can tell you that. Turns out our SG was great at cutting, defending, and shooting, but lousy at passing and running the offense. oh yeah, and ball handling.
Kia Nurse was the point guard for Canada at the PanAm games (winning gold over Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson led USA team) and the 2016 Olympics (didn't go as far as they hoped). I think she has the experience and disposition to be able to handle the point guard position next year.

Reaction Score
With the team playing in exhibition games in italy in August geno will have the team set up before the season starts which IMO isn't really fair to the rest of wcbb. Also remember on uconn it doesn't really matter who starts because everyone is treated equally and expected to perform at a high level no matter when your on the floor.
Other teams play internationally too. I believe Oregon went to Spain this past summer (maybe not Oregon, but one of the teams in the tourney).

Reaction Score
Would Geno ever consider bringing GW off the bench next year as instant energy player? Sounds nuts I know but think of this:
Lets assume AS is as advertised an all american candidate, so you have to lock her into Center, NC is a lock to start at 4, Lou at 3 and Kia at 1 or 2... You need a guard right?

Danger
Kia
lou
Collier
Stevens...

See the problem is Stevens kinda messes things up. Your kinda not suppose to add a girl of her caliber, ready to play to a team with an all americans at 4 and 5 locked in, probably coming off a championship..

You have Kia bring up the ball.
When they play vs a zone - does it matter who brings up the ball? And Gabby is at the ft line like always.
When they play vs man to man- you have Kia bring up the ball and you have a 1-4 set. On one wing you have Lou and the other wing you switch between Stevens and Collier. While Gabby does what she always does.

Reaction Score
The starting 5 really won't matter for the next 2 years barring injuries and transfers. There are going to be some very ugly scores over the next 2 seasons, because the drop off in talent between who plays the 1st 3 quarters and who plays the 4 quarter will not be that great.

I told my wife that next year UConn will have the #1 (1st 6) and #10 (2nd 6) teams in the country and the following year they will have the #1 (1st 6) and #2 (2nd 6) teams in the country.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I've noticed that as this season has gone along Gabby seems to be getting more and more comfortable bringing the ball up the floor, driving the length of the floor to the basket (see:UCLA). Much of the offense goes through her already. She is a Center/PG.
An absolute menace on defense. She will be a senior next year. Something tells me she could jack it up to another gear. If that happens, I feel sorry for the rest of WCBB

Reaction Score
We're not even done with this season yet.... should have waited until next Monday to post this. This is why we're not coaches... we can't just look at the next game, we have to look years in advance... Leave these things to the professionals....

Reaction Score
My first thought it that who plays the most minutes, especially at key times, is more important than who starts.

My second thought is that no one gets "demoted." Kia has been a starter her entire career, after her first 2 games, so that will not change. Gabby, Lou, and Napheesa likely will be All-Americans. They will start. So, that's 4 of the 5.

Then the question becomes: Azura with her height and skill or Crystal with her quickness and ball-handling? I go back and forth on this. Some folks seem 100% certain it is Azura. A smaller number think it will be Crystal. As of now, I'm actually leaning toward Crystal. As good as Azura is, why do I think she might not start? See my first point--Maya early in her first year and Kaleena for most of her first year did not start, but they played 30 minutes or so and finished games. Azura will get LOTS of playing time, which is the most important thing, whether she starts or not. If Z starts, that leaves ball-handling to Kia, Lou, and maybe Gabby. I don't think that is Geno's first choice. A second point may relate to Azura's status as a redshirt Junior. She will be WNBA eligible after next season. Geno may be able to keep her around by enticing her with the starting slot her senior year. (Some speculate that he accepted her as a transfer only based on an agreement to stay for 3 years and play for 2 years.) After Kia and Gabby graduate, the replacement pattern will be obvious: Pheesa, Lou, and Crystal continue to start, Azura steps in for Gabby, and Megan steps in for Kia.

I don't agree. A fear for this team is foul trouble. The foul trouble fear is due to size. I don't see UCONN starting the game putting Gabby or Napheesa in as much risk. I can't see his risking foul trouble - though he has a bench- but it's not fair for example for Collier to guard big centers. And some sometimes say "we can mix-and match." That's a myth. UCONN forces teams to mix-and-match to them when they can. I know they have the bench- btu Collier and Gabby aren't centers. I can't see putting them in the same situation to start the game, and now that UCONN can be more aggressive defensively (Geno has said they have been forced a bit to let teams score), I don't think it would be fair to put Collier or Gabby in that position when you don't have to. I think that supersedes ball-handling. UCONN has 5 good ball-handlers with AZ starting.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'll take this year's lineup!

Ask me over the summer about the fall.

HGN

Reaction Score
A little bit early for this.......Let's get past this tournament first.

Besides , the players themselves will determine who starts by the way they prepare during the summer and practice when they get to campus. Thus , who starts is up to them. And not us BY speculators.......Thank Goodness.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that never has a player come to Uconn who wasn't a high school All American, that ended up an All American while at Uconn. Yes Stevens has high skill set and Geno is the one coach who can get her to use ever bit of that unique skill set, but I think we shouldn't place such high expectations on Stevens. She was just ok while at dude, and I can't remember her ever playing/having to play center.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that never has a player come to Uconn who wasn't a high school All American, that ended up an All American while at Uconn. Yes Stevens has high skill set and Geno is the one coach who can get her to use ever bit of that unique skill set, but I think we shouldn't place such high expectations on Stevens. She was just ok while at dude, and I can't remember her ever playing/having to play center.

Geno was quoted as saying if she stays the two years she could be the number 1 pick. She was an all-american last year and she did have only an ok team and ok coach. And after last year - who'd have thought Collier and Gabby would be such an awesome one-two punch at center?

Anyhow she is 6'6 and averaged near 10 rebounds in the ACC. IMO ofc Gneo can turn that play into a center.

Reaction Score
The current 4 starters + Dangerfield (1st and 3rd periods)
The current 4 starters + Stevens (2nd and 4th periods)
First bench off: Megan

Reaction Score
Well only uconn coaches know how good stevens is and when geno says she will be a great player you know its true.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
No insight, just speculation! A lot depends on the development and maturity of a few players. The Q&D answer is just what others have said: Collier, Williams, Stevens, Samuelson, Nurse. How could this change? How big of an improvement will Dangerfield make? If Dangerfield makes a similar type of improvement as Collier and Williams made, then someone else sits. Who? If KLS does not improve defensively, she may be instant offense of the bench. At the Oregon pre-game presser Geno went on about KLS trying to decide what is important to do and what is not because he has to play her. Can't do that next year. The other three have a far better total game and Nurse and Collier can shot the 3FG at 40+%. Stevens is an experienced and skilled player ... oh, yeah 6'6" tall. She will make games against big teams much more comfortable. BTW, she isn't too bad from the arc, 36%. What if Megan Walker is as billed ... the second comimg of Maya Moore? Maybe she still is a reserve. Maya started because of injuries in her freshman season. Maybe Walker can play defense and score. A lot of maybes. In any case this team will be loaded!

Beercats...So you would sit an AP All American!! Glad you said "no insight".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom