Newton Commits- It's on ESPN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Newton Commits- It's on ESPN

Reaction Score
This kids who worked hard last year are going to be mad they’re getting recruited over…
Gonzaga is literally connected to every single transfer who enters the portal lol. They seem desperate. Kinda bizarre

Reaction Score
The highlights look awesome and I'm stoked to have a big ball handling guard lead the team. He looks to have a good shot, good vision, and can breakdown a defense. The only question I have from that highlight video is he doesn't seem to be uber athletic. Hard to glean from a highlight video but can anyone speak to this?
He's not uber athletic, but we've had uber athletes the last several years and it hasn't gotten us much. He's a skilled scorer and passer who can create for himself and others, we've lacked those kind of players during our dry spell.

Reaction Score
The highlights look awesome and I'm stoked to have a big ball handling guard lead the team. He looks to have a good shot, good vision, and can breakdown a defense. The only question I have from that highlight video is he doesn't seem to be uber athletic. Hard to glean from a highlight video but can anyone speak to this?
He's definitely not a pogo stick, but he doesn't need to be at 6'5". He dunks regularly, but he probably won't have that Castle dunk over two guys highlight from this past weekend.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is literally connected to every single transfer who enters the portal lol. They seem desperate. Kinda bizarre
Rather have a guy linked to Gonzaga than Penn State, Providence, or Iona. Just saying. Judging from many of the posts the last few days, can't expect the Yard to recongnize what a really good get this is. Go DH and staff!

Reaction Score
This is a useless post, but Newton now links us to our historic past!

Netwon played with Vance Jackson at ECU
Vance Jackson played with Jalen Adams at UConn
Jalen played with DHam/Purvis/Brimah/Omar
They all played with Boat
Boat played with Bazz
Bazz played with Kemba
Kemba played with Adrien
Adrien played with Rashad
Rashad played with Emeka
Emeka played with Tony Robertson
Tony Roberson played with KEA
KEA played with Ricky Moore
Ricky Moore played with Ray Allen
Ray Allen played with Donyell
Donyell played with Chris Smith
Chris Smith played with Cliff Robinson

Reaction Score
Hartford Courant:
"Even with Newton’s addition, UConn now has five open scholarship spots available for the 2022-23 season. Unlike last year, UConn coach Dan Hurley intends to use the transfer portal to fill in roster spots...

According to CBS’s Jon Rothstein, the Huskies have shown interested in Texas transfer Courtney Ramey and former South Carolina guard Devin Carter."

So, we've got Newton, and then all we have to do is get Ramey and Carter, and it's "CFJ? Who's that?"

Reaction Score
An outside voice of reason for all those who are still panicking about the open spots...we're in good shape

We still need a couple more guys before we can be in good shape, but it definitely seems like that should happen.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with his take. I'm sure we can fill the spots but let's see how we do it first. It just feels like losing Floyd is going to hurt a lot.
Floyd does sting right now, but lets say we get a Castle reclass. Which group are you taking: Gaff/Diggins/Floyd, or Newton/Castle? I'm taking Newton/Castle every single day of the week.

Reaction Score
Floyd does sting right now, but lets say we get a Castle reclass. Which group are you taking: Gaff/Diggins/Floyd, or Newton/Castle? I'm taking Newton/Castle every single day of the week.
Obviously the latter but it's not an either or proposition

I'm also kind of over these reclasses. It's not going well

Reaction Score
Obviously the latter but it's not an either or proposition

I'm also kind of over these reclasses. It's not going well
I mean, it kind of is an either or. The first group of guys clearly want to be starters but they are not starter quality at this level. The 2nd group of guys are starter quality at this level.

Also Floyd was like the #120 recruit or something. Castle is a top 30 guy. Their reclass situation is entirely different

Reaction Score
I mean, it kind of is an either or. The first group of guys clearly want to be starters but they are not starter quality at this level. The 2nd group of guys are starter quality at this level.

Also Floyd was like the #120 recruit or something. Castle is a top 30 guy. Their reclass situation is entirely different
The lineup very well could have been Newton/Floyd/Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo

They all could have existed together

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hartford Courant:
"Even with Newton’s addition, UConn now has five open scholarship spots available for the 2022-23 season. Unlike last year, UConn coach Dan Hurley intends to use the transfer portal to fill in roster spots...

According to CBS’s Jon Rothstein, the Huskies have shown interested in Texas transfer Courtney Ramey and former South Carolina guard Devin Carter."

So, we've got Newton, and then all we have to do is get Ramey and Carter, and it's "CFJ? Who's that?"
u don't have electricity. u lose.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the irony in a fanbase that ridicules ECU and the rest of the AAC at every opportunity but now treats this guy like the second coming of Nate Archibald?
Not particularly. For you to have a point, every player in any league would have to be the exactly same as any other in the league. I think we can make a little bit more refined comparisons than that.

Reaction Score
By seasons end most teams play 8 guys with their starters playing the vast majority of tournament minutes.... I am very confident that we have Newton/jackson/hawkins/sanogo as 4 of those spots.... and castle/karaban/johnson/clingan could all play their way in pretty easily... I agree we need more guys for dept and for injuries and what not dont think we need any "significant" pieces at this point to compete in BE next year

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
dont think we need any "significant" pieces at this point to compete in BE next year
How many years in a row do we have to lose in the first round of the tournament due to not having enough shot creation before everyone realizes that we need more than one guy who can break down the defense with the ball?

The good news, at least, is that Hurley realizes this.

So yes, there are more significant pieces coming, and yes, we need them.

EDIT: I just realized this came off as snarkier/meaner than I intended, and my apologies for that. Anyway... we really do need at least one more guy who can put the ball on the floor and do something with it. And at least one more guy like that is coming (pretty sure it'll be two).

Reaction Score
I think we have our brain around the psyche of last year's bench. WE (collectively DH and much of our fanbase) watched better players on the court and we won games. Lost some toughies. Had no easy games (SEE AAC). But we had guys sitting on that bench grinding their teeth ... and reading UCONN twitter. imho ... Clearly Cole + Martin improved significantly JR to SR years; Whaley + Polley hugely improved in their last 3. Why did Floyd, Diggins not see that as a viable way forward? They have these alternatives today without the penalty sit out. They'll start somewhere ... but imo ... they won't be better career focused players. And less ... far less imo ... chance of later round MM. Because I think UCONN is building towards a good solid cultural contender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom