Newton Commits- It's on ESPN | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Newton Commits- It's on ESPN

Reaction Score
I know he’s not going to share a name. My question was does the staff already know who they are going after or are they still in search mode. There’s a big difference
They probably have an idea but are keeping their eyes peeled at the same time.

Reaction Score

8. TRISTEN NEWTON, SG

Previous school: East Carolina

Transferred to: Connecticut

Overall transfer portal rank: No. 28

The skinny: East Carolina wasn’t all that great during the 2021-22 season, going just 15-15 overall and 6-11 in the AAC, but Tristen Newton was a major bright spot while averaging 17.7 points, 4.8 rebounds and five assists per game. Those numbers were good enough for the native Texan to earn second team All-AAC honors.

Dan Hurley has proven that he can get the most out of a transfer guard (Tyrese Martin being proof of that) and Newton appears to have the blend of size, explosion and playmaking ability to really thrive in Storrs. There are some who believe that Newton has NBA upside and if that’s the case, he should be huge for the Huskies.

Reaction Score

8. TRISTEN NEWTON, SG

Previous school: East Carolina

Transferred to: Connecticut

Overall transfer portal rank: No. 28

The skinny: East Carolina wasn’t all that great during the 2021-22 season, going just 15-15 overall and 6-11 in the AAC, but Tristen Newton was a major bright spot while averaging 17.7 points, 4.8 rebounds and five assists per game. Those numbers were good enough for the native Texan to earn second team All-AAC honors.

Dan Hurley has proven that he can get the most out of a transfer guard (Tyrese Martin being proof of that) and Newton appears to have the blend of size, explosion and playmaking ability to really thrive in Storrs. There are some who believe that Newton has NBA upside and if that’s the case, he should be huge for the Huskies.

Funny I thought RJ Cole transferred as well and was a guard? But I get it - size etc etc.

Reaction Score
He’s a much better distributor than RJ, it’s very natural to him.

Reaction Score
Not really, we have no depth right now, we are just hoping there is a plan. The sky isn't falling, but it's not necessarily stable.
how much depth do you want? quality over quantity means an 8 or 9 man rotation. matrim said castle is reclassing so we only need 1 more high-caliber transfer G and we're 9 deep:

1. Newton - 2. Hawk - 3. Jackson - 4. Johnson - 5. Sanogo
6. Castle - 7. Transfer G - 8. Karaban - 9. Clingan/Springs

The lineup very well could have been Newton/Floyd/Hawkins/Jackson/Sanogo

They all could have existed together
it depends on who the last piece of the puzzle above is. there are a lot of transfer Gs left that will contribute more than floyd next season. assuming we get 1 then floyd would be looking like the 9th or 10th man, not close to a starter. i'll take it a step further and say floyd's presence could have prevented us from landing the immediate impact transfer G we still need to make us a legit contender.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
how much depth do you want? quality over quantity means an 8 or 9 man rotation. matrim said castle is reclassing so we only need 1 more high-caliber transfer G and we're 9 deep:

1. Newton - 2. Hawk - 3. Jackson - 4. Johnson - 5. Sanogo
6. Castle - 7. Transfer G - 8. Karaban - 9. Clingan/Springs

it depends on who the last piece of the puzzle above is. there are a lot of transfer Gs left that will contribute more than floyd next season. assuming we get 1 then floyd would be looking like the 9th or 10th man, not close to a starter. i'll take it a step further and say floyd's presence would most likely be preventing us from landing the immediate impact transfer G we still need to make us a legit contender.

The guy was right - we have no depth. We’re one injury away from a mess.

You’ve got two players on that list that do not currently exist - Castle hasn’t reclassified and Player Number Seven isn’t here. Desperately need another good guard in here.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else see the irony in a fanbase that ridicules ECU and the rest of the AAC at every opportunity but now treats this guy like the second coming of Nate Archibald?

When you look at some of the greatest players in history where or even if they attended college is pretty irrelevant.
Bird Indiana State
Currey Davidson
Dr J UMass
Kobe DNA
Even at UConn
Kromah GW
Cole Howard
Miller Cornell

You can’t get lower than the MEEC .
I’m not saying this kid is a superstar , ECU knocked of FF Houston 2 years ago so he has competed against decent competition. Much better than Cole. However in college the question is do they fill a need and he plays positions where experience might be better than raw talent and it seems he has both.

Reaction Score

You’ve got two players on that list that do not currently exist - Castle hasn’t reclassified and Player Number Seven isn’t here. Desperately need another good guard in here.
But if we finished the roster construction with those 2 pieces, I think that's the new normal. You will never be able to build a roster that goes 10-11 deep with BE quality players. There's just not enough minutes to go around in the portal era

Reaction Score
I'm also kind of over these reclasses. It's not going well
sanogo was a reclass dont forget, that worked out very well

yeah it's a good thing the season doesnt start tomorrow. matrim said castle will reclass so if you believe him then we only need 1 more good transfer G and there's plenty of time yet. it's a good plan.

Reaction Score
But if we finished the roster construction with those 2 pieces, I think that's the new normal. You will never be able to build a roster that goes 10-11 deep with BE quality players. There's just not enough minutes to go around in the portal era
Maybe not 10-11 deep in the rotation but the idea of going into the season with 2-3 open scholarships is just asking for a disaster. We need to fill the majority of the open scholarships

Reaction Score

Well then it's a good thing the season starts in...checks notes...7 months

Reaction Score
Maybe not 10-11 deep in the rotation but the idea of going into the season with 2-3 open scholarships is just asking for a disaster. We need to fill the majority of the open scholarships
They may fill them but it'll be with replacement level players at best who likely will never see the court, and will likely play the musical chairs game again next offseason lol

Reaction Score
They may fill them but it'll be with replacement level players at best who likely will never see the court, and will likely play the musical chairs game again next offseason lol
i think he means rotation construction not roster construction. assuming we get castle and another good G then we'll have 3 open schollys. hurley should only leave 1 open for a mid-season reclass redshirt (like karaban) and i wont be stressing at all about who the other 2 schollys go to. odds are they'll end up portaling before they play a single minute here.

Reaction Score
i think he means rotation construction not roster construction. assuming we get castle and another good G then we'll have 3 open schollys. hurley should only leave 1 open for a mid-season reclass redshirt (like karaban) and i wont be stressing at all about who the other 2 schollys go to. odds are they'll end up portaling before they play a single minute here.
I won't be stressing either if we get Castle and another really good transfer guard. But my point is they just have to go to someone, can't assume perfect health and try to save scholarships

Reaction Score
How do you even recruit a depth piece from the portal? Every kid in there wants starters minutes… how many guys worth getting are actually going to sign on to play 15 MPG backup role? I guess you just gotta sell them on all Blaze Pizza in Storrs.
Lie to them.

Reaction Score
How do you even recruit a depth piece from the portal? Every kid in there wants starters minutes… how many guys worth getting are actually going to sign on to play 15 MPG backup role? I guess you just gotta sell them on all Blaze Pizza in Storrs.
idk but we arent looking for anyone like that, unless you count castle who will prob be starting as a soph. we need a good G that will get 20-25 mpg and at least 2 guys that will be happy not playing at all like springs was. hurley got him to commit and sit on the bench for 3 seasons and now he might finally get some PT. doubt the truth king lied to springs otherwise he'd be long gone.

Last edited:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
When you look at some of the greatest players in history where or even if they attended college is pretty irrelevant.
Bird Indiana State
Currey Davidson
Dr J UMass
Kobe DNA
Even at UConn
Kromah GW
Cole Howard
Miller Cornell

I’m not saying this kid is a superstar , ECU knocked of FF Houston 2 years ago so he has competed against decent competition. Much better than Cole. However in college the question is do they fill a need and he plays positions where experience might be better than raw talent and it seems he has both.
Yea I'm not questioning the kid's ability at all. I just think it's amusing that we're getting talent from a source they many (me included) have mocked at every opportunity.

Reaction Score
The highlights look awesome and I'm stoked to have a big ball handling guard lead the team. He looks to have a good shot, good vision, and can breakdown a defense. The only question I have from that highlight video is he doesn't seem to be uber athletic. Hard to glean from a highlight video but can anyone speak to this?
Reminds me a little of Jalen Adams

Reaction Score
There’s over 1300 kids in the portal. There’s not that many starting spots available. There will be always be kids who get infatuated with big time programs.

Kentucky gets 5 stars every year who end up on the bench.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bird Indiana State
Currey Davidson
Dr J UMass
Kobe DNA
Even at UConn
Kromah GW
Cole Howard
Miller Cornell

Why is Kobe in here. Where is DNA besides our bodies? You cherry pick 3 out of this world superstars for your argument? :p;)I agree that where he comes from isn’t an argument not to look at the kid. If the kid is not a known commodity and doesn’t play regularly against P5 or NBE talent, can he compete at that level? Beating Houston one time means squat. Does he fill a need? He is a pg and there is a need. Yes he has experience over raw talent. But let’s not crown the kid as a huge coup for UConn until we see him play at this level. We all hope he will step right in where RJ left off and I am hoping that he is more of a QB rather than a score first mentality. If he is the best available option, so be it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom