New starting lineup suggestion... (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

New starting lineup suggestion... (merged)

Reaction Score
Truthfully, I am baffled at the patience Geno gives to some players, but not others. Azzi, Caroline, and Nika played some 82 minutes collectively and the totality of their scoring was all of 15 points. By contrast, Ice Brady playing in only her second game, misses a few shots and we don't see her again, Given the lack of efficiency of the above, I don't think Ice could have done worse.

As I previously mentioned, the only way that UConn would be successful would be for Paige, Azzi, and Caroline to shoot nearly 50 percent from the arc, in order to overcome the significant lack of interior defense and offensive boards that this line up will surrender. AE is not a rim protector, nor is she very efficient defensively...
First off, it's awesome that you made that prediction. But what is your philosophy if how long before you throw players to the bench? For example, an entire half Azzi was 0-5 from the floor with just 2 points vs Iowa from last year. How many minutes before you decide to limit Azi?

So keep this in mind, you had a player in Azzi that won the game in NCAA's v UCF as a freshman, was the 3rd leading scorer in NCAA Tourney as a frosh for a team that went to the Finals, then as a soph early on for 6 games she was amongst the best players in country in which she matched or maybe even outplayed Clark, -- and you are proposing to have her sit vs a player that has played one college game and wasn't that good for the 1 game???

And you are justifying that by saying if UCONN perimeter shoots 50% from 3 it still wouldn't be enough? The 1st 20 possession if UCONN shot 10-20 from 3 that is 30 points. That is equivalent to 75%. There is no way no way we can say an opposing wcbb team would score 15 times out of 20 possessions as a rule just because they are “tall.” The opposing team aren't pros.

I respect the frustration, but when you say you're baffled, it's because you’re making an unrealistic/exaggerated assumption of height and size. I suppose that’s why you're mentioning Azzi as one of the players vs Edwards.

Reaction Score
Caroline had two forays into the lane with the second one being a charge, if I recall correctly!
I think you need to understand what "the lane" IS. As @The deacon said, Caroline made one foray into the lane and scored. Her charge was not in "the lane".

Reaction Score
First off, it's awesome that you made that prediction. But what is your philosophy if how long before you throw players to the bench? For example, an entire half Azzi was 0-5 from the floor with just 2 points vs Iowa from last year. How many minutes before you decide to limit Azi?

So keep this in mind, you had a player in Azzi that won the game in NCAA's v UCF as a freshman, was the 3rd leading scorer in NCAA Tourney as a frosh for a team that went to the Finals, then as a soph early on for 6 games she was amongst the best players in country in which she matched or maybe even outplayed Clark, -- and you are proposing to have her sit vs a player that has played one college game and wasn't that good for the 1 game???

And you are justifying that by saying if UCONN perimeter shoots 50% from 3 it still wouldn't be enough? The 1st 20 possession if UCONN shot 10-20 from 3 that is 30 points. That is equivalent to 75%. There is no way no way we can say an opposing wcbb team would score 15 times out of 20 possessions as a rule just because they are “tall.” The opposing team aren't pros.

I respect the frustration, but when you say you're baffled, it's because you’re making an unrealistic/exaggerated assumption of height and size. I suppose that’s why you're mentioning Azzi as one of the players vs Edwards.
My last para/last word/name I meant ICE not Edwards.

"I respect the frustration, but when you say you're baffled, it's because you’re making an unrealistic/exaggerated assumption of height and size. I suppose that’s why you're mentioning Azzi as one of the players vs Ice."

Reaction Score
We have a rebounding issue….at what point do we take a shot on Amari? We just have 6’6” just sitting on the bench, at this point give her a shot and see if she steps up. At the bare minimum to disrupt the paint by just putting her hands up.
The best rebounder that is not starting is Aubrey by a huge margin. She may be 5 inches taller but frankly Amari isn't even in Aubrey's league as a rebounder. Amari's numbers have been notoriously weak as a rebounder, almost more like what you would expect from a good 3, much less a 5.

She does block many shots with a similar very high rate of fouls, but if discussing rebounding, she clearly is not the answer.

Reaction Score
Not certain Ducharme is ready to show up in big games. From my perspective, she seems to get lost.
Robin Williams Omg GIF by Laff

Reaction Score
While I don't have strong feelings about the starting 5, I would like to see Ice and Edwards have time playing together. I understand all the reasons why not to play Ice - we need her to sub for Edwards, her performance has been spotty, etc., but in some future games we will need 2 big bodies at the same time. Would be good to see both together if even for 5+ minutes to build chemistry.

Reaction Score
Your video commentary is priceless! It made me laugh and I appreciate that very much. However, I do agree that Caroline seems to get lost out there so far this season. In other posts I have explained why I believe this is happening, so I won't repeat myself here. I just hope she finds her beautiful game soon.

Reaction Score
While I don't have strong feelings about the starting 5, I would like to see Ice and Edwards have time playing together. I understand all the reasons why not to play Ice - we need her to sub for Edwards, her performance has been spotty, etc., but in some future games we will need 2 big bodies at the same time. Would be good to see both together if even for 5+ minutes to build chemistry.
Agree, and even if not together with Aaliyah, Ice needs more time on the court to get up to speed and just to get more experience. She has lots of talent/potential and will only get better and more productive with time on the court.

Reaction Score
Guys: Y'all lost ONE game, Thus, y'all think the winningest Coach (in important games) in the history of wbb is playing the wrong lineup? SHEESH!

Now, y'all have made a point over the years that Geno doesn't use a big enough rotation. Well, I firmly believe that most coaches should attempt to have a ten woman rotation. And yes, 6-10 should get some first half minutes; not just mop up. Play your freshmen against other team's first stringers and let them learn from it. No, I don't advocate the use of a platoon system; but try to have at least one of the 6-10 players on the court most of he time in quarters 2 and 3. Geno probably disagrees with that notion because he wants absolute cohesion in the first string to be built through playing time and my opinion certainly can't compare with how he leads the sport's most successful program but: If you have the talented depth, use it.

Dawn is doing it more this (short) season than ever before. We have only one player who hasn't seen time during contested first half minutes. So far its working better than the 5+2+2+bench she used in the past. And each of our lower ranked freshman (Jah and Johnson) have made significant first half contributions in at least one game. (Jah vs Notre Dame, Johnson vs Maryland.)

BTW I'm almost as happy about Jah as you guys are about Qadence. Weren't they both ranked in the 40s?

I think the disastrous injuries of last year are still messing with y'all mentally. Players and fanbase.
Agree with your last statement
The “invincibility” is gone after more losses
Last year than in the past 20 years
Confidence gets eroded
Only way to change that is to play well
Win games close games against good teams especially on the road
Sure the team has limitations .. all teams do
There is plenty of talent on this team but the beauty of sports is not just about talent it’s having the ability to perform under pressure
The team did not succeed on Sunday, but will have many opportunities to build confidence and some swagger It might be a good idea for all to sit back and enjoy the season and see how it plays out.
Thank you to visiting Vick for stating the obvious

Reaction Score
Paige can make others better by being a pg, sg or sf. That's what she does best. To pigeon-hole her as just a pg is a bit insulting to her.
And as far as "Buekcers doesn't love to shoot," and trying to tie it into Geno said "Do what you best;" How is shooting over 46% from 3 like she did her frosh year not equate to doing "what she does best?"

And why have you ignored the comemtns that Geno has also said that he wants Paige to shoot more and only focus on "do what you do best?"

This thread is a way too-early over-reaction.

Looking forwad to Patterson coming back and hope for health for all the players.

What diminishes Bueckers' contribution is moving her FROM the pg position.

Reaction Score
Right now, i'll just change CD with Aubrey in the starting line. However, when Ayanna is ready to play, i would have Ice in instead of Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I'm late to post this: Aubrey might replace Caroline in the starting 5, if she is healthy, everything else will stay the same.
The overreactions are astounding, even for this place. It was ONE game. Geno needs to be put out to pasture, we need to start 4 freshmen and Amari is the savior of the season. :eek:

Edwards and Paige aren't going anywhere. If they can stand upright, they're starting.

Nika does the dirty work and is the emotional energy of the team. Leads the team in assists and steals, third in rebounding, ZERO turnovers, 50% shooting and 67% from three. Naturally she should be benched in favor of KK.

Azzi will be fine. There was one season (recently) where Steph Curry started the season shooting under 30% from three. He figured it out. That's what shooters do. They shoot themselves out of a slump. Take a deep breath. BTW, if someone told you that Q and Azzi would start the season shooting a combined 11-27 from three, you'd take that. One will regress, the other will progress.

Aubrey starting instead of Caroline? This one I agree with, particularly if you need speed, athleticism and rebounding. Let Caroline lead the second unit.

In a limited sample size (2 games) we know Q can shoot. What else warrants her starting over any of the current five? I'll wait.

Ice and Ayanna (when healthy) can rotate in and out based on the need for a wider body and extra rebounds. No need for them to start until they prove they can consistently contribute in more than one area and aren't a defensive liability.

KK gives a breather to Nika and Paige, and Ashlynn gets extra run when we're up to 20. There's your 10 player rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meant to add (but my edit clock expired)....

"It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up." - Gen George Custer (who clearly didn't say that after the battle of Little Bighorn)

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson

We got punched in the mouth. The character of this team (and the coaching staff) will be revealed in how they respond.

Reaction Score

AH, you have twisted and juxtaposed my statements so much, I am not going to even try to untangle them. I am not frustrated--please don't try to read my emotions. You may disagree with me and that's fine, but please do not try to devaluate and dismiss my position solely on the premise that I am being overly emotional and frustrated by it.

What does your statement, "the opposing team aren't pros" mean? Are there not tall, talented women in the collegiate games?

Either I did not explain sufficiently, or you purposely distorted my statements. What i mean by my figures is simply that 2-feet bunnies, putbacks and tip-ins by bigs ala Kardoso and Reese for example, are made at a higher percentage than our perimeter shots, and occur with more frequency with talented bigs on smaller teams. For example, if you were to shoot 8 0f 10 on alley oops and putbacks (which Kardoso often does), I would need to shoot 50 percent, 5 of 10 on 3s--50 percent-- to offset your 16 points off your higher percentage shots. How complex is that? Simple math. Additionally, we were outrounded in the NC State game, 41-29. To what do you attribute such a disparity?

You who say it's not about size, have the right to do so--certainly it's more than just size, it's effort, it's tenacity and a willingness to win. But how are you saying my concerns about size are "unrealistic/exaggerated" when Geno and CD are saying pretty much the same thing? Are you listening to their pregame/postgame pressers?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
The overreactions are astounding, even for this place. ...

Azzi will be fine. ...
we can only hope. it may happen that way. ... while speculation is nice, reality is best.
In a limited sample size (2 games) we know Q can shoot. What else warrants her starting over any of the current five?...ome
well, one thing i can cite: :) she is not afraid of being in the moment and trying something positive ... for some, taking initiative is sometimes lacking, esp. when paige is present.

Reaction Score
AH, you have twisted and juxtaposed my statements so much, I am not going to even try to untangle them. I am not frustrated--please don't try to read my emotions. You may disagree with me and that's fine, but please do not try to devaluate and dismiss my position solely on the premise that I am being overly emotional and frustrated by it.

What does your statement, "the opposing team aren't pros" mean? Are there not tall, talented women in the collegiate games?

Either I did not explain sufficiently, or you purposely distorted my statements. What i mean by my figures is simply that 2-feet bunnies, putbacks and tip-ins by bigs ala Kardoso and Reese for example, are made at a higher percentage than our perimeter shots, and occur with more frequency with talented bigs on smaller teams. For example, if you were to shoot 8 0f 10 on alley oops and putbacks (which Kardoso often does), I would need to shoot 50 percent, 5 of 10 on 3s--50 percent-- to offset your 16 points off your higher percentage shots. How complex is that? Simple math. Additionally, we were outrounded in the NC State game, 41-29. To what do you attribute such a disparity?

You who say it's not about size, have the right to do so--certainly it's more than just size, it's effort, it's tenacity and a willingness to win. But how are you saying my concerns about size are "unrealistic/exaggerated" when Geno and CD are saying pretty much the same thing? Are you listening to their pregame/postgame pressers?
You're not "frustrated" with what you saw? My post was not meant to be derogatory toward you for being "frustrated." I said I respect it. Who wouldn't be frustrated as a UCONN fan? You're taking the time on here to post as well with the loss being the way it was,- and Geno having patience with players that you wouldn't have otherwise had the same patience, - and you are not even an iota frustrated? When UCONN loses games by double-digits vs non-rated teams you aren’t frustrated in the least?

What I mean by "they aren't pros" is that imo you are way over-assuming college "kids" excellence (having an effciency as a team to score on over 75% of your possessions is excellent) just because they are tall. Only pros vs college kids can come close to do what you are suggesting. There are also things like 3 seconds, over-the-back, not every time the ball is inside is there a shot taken but rather a pass which could result in outside missed shots or turnovers, blown easy shots, and brick free throws etc..

My point is-- they have to be pros to be consistently "two feet" in the lane which you make mention of. You have 3 seconds and fouls to worry about even if they are tall. Also - For example, how is a player going to consistently "outmuscle Edwards (who will be guarding the best inside player if they are that good) to get "two feet" from the basket? Edwards is built like brick house filed with muscle. Yes sometimes the opposing big will do it - but not near as often as you are implying here vs a team shooting with an efficiency of 75%. This is why I made my comment about "pros." Edwards is a 4 year senior. Its not going to be easy to get "two feet from the basket." And how many players have more tenacity and will to win etc than Edwards? And how many teams are stakced with multilpe terrific bigs? Pro teams -- yes.

And if Geno/Chris are saying the same thing as you say - and they showed you that they are starting players like Caroline as starting PF and speak so highly of Azzi (much more than ICE ofc) as they have (which you must have heard the praise with Azzi) , then how is it that you think that you and them are on the same page otherwise why did you ask me if I was listening? You all but said you don’t'; agree with his "patience" that Geno shows for players like Azzi, right? Yet you think his comments means he agrees with your type of pov?

And if he started 4 guards, then isn't he "telling you" in a way that the opposing bigs won't get near as close to "two feet (or 3-5 etc) from the basket" as you have said? Most of his coaching career he has shown you he doesn't mind one bit playing small. Now you're suddenly "baffled?" Especially mentioning Azzi vs ICE?

And you;re mentioning tip-ins and alley-oops? huh? Is LeBron James sneaking in and playing some wcbb?

Reaction Score
You're not "frustrated" with what you saw? My post was not meant to be derogatory toward you for being "frustrated." I said I respect it. Who wouldn't be frustrated as a UCONN fan? You're taking the time on here to post as well with the loss being the way it was,- and Geno having patience with players that you wouldn't have otherwise had the same patience, - and you are not even an iota frustrated? When UCONN loses games by double-digits vs non-rated teams you aren’t frustrated in the least?

What I mean by "they aren't pros" is that imo you are way over-assuming college "kids" excellence (having an effciency as a team to score on over 75% of your possessions is excellent) just because they are tall. Only pros vs college kids can come close to do what you are suggesting. There are also things like 3 seconds, over-the-back, not every time the ball is inside is there a shot taken but rather a pass which could result in outside missed shots or turnovers, blown easy shots, and brick free throws etc..

My point is-- they have to be pros to be consistently "two feet" in the lane which you make mention of. You have 3 seconds and fouls to worry about even if they are tall. Also - For example, how is a player going to consistently "outmuscle Edwards (who will be guarding the best inside player if they are that good) to get "two feet" from the basket? Edwards is built like brick house filed with muscle. Yes sometimes the opposing big will do it - but not near as often as you are implying here vs a team shooting with an efficiency of 75%. This is why I made my comment about "pros." Edwards is a 4 year senior. Its not going to be easy to get "two feet from the basket." And how many players have more tenacity and will to win etc than Edwards? And how many teams are stakced with multilpe terrific bigs? Pro teams -- yes.

And if Geno/Chris are saying the same thing as you say - and they showed you that they are starting players like Caroline as starting PF and speak so highly of Azzi (much more than ICE ofc) as they have (which you must have heard the praise with Azzi) , then how is it that you think that you and them are on the same page otherwise why did you ask me if I was listening? You all but said you don’t'; agree with his "patience" that Geno shows for players like Azzi, right? Yet you think his comments means he agrees with your type of pov?

And if he started 4 guards, then isn't he "telling you" in a way that the opposing bigs won't get near as close to "two feet (or 3-5 etc) from the basket" as you have said? Most of his coaching career he has shown you he doesn't mind one bit playing small. Now you're suddenly "baffled?" Especially mentioning Azzi vs ICE?

And you;re mentioning tip-ins and alley-oops? huh? Is LeBron James sneaking in and playing some wcbb?
Lol--We will just agree to disagree--you feel the current lineup is sustainable: I do not....

Reaction Score
im disappointed in this place. You all don’t want to talk basketball and evaluate the game, you all want to play favorites and just latch onto your favorite players like kids with trading cards. I’m kind of over this place.

Reaction Score
Lol--We will just agree to disagree--you feel the current lineup is sustainable: I do not....
Well was replying to your points. I didn't express entirely what I would see. But --

1--- I don't believe you lose patience with Azzi game 2 of season vs ICE. I didn’t reference CD or Nika - I specifically had issue with your mention of Azzi vs ICE. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want a change.

2-- If UCONN shoots 50% from three and they are healthy, nobody beats them. Nobody. If UCONN is healthy, the opposing team isn't that "dominant" to overcome a 50% from 3 onslaught. If UCONN is shooting 31.8% from 3, ofc they can't sustain being the type of quality team they want to be by playing small.

3-- I felt Aubrey should have started at PF but based on what Geno said that this year he is going to use her in 3/4 minute spurts; I question her health.

4-- I don't know about starting Caroline. Based on an interview with her we saw earlier this season she said bright lights and noise bother her. Not sure how much of an impact this can cause her. But many more 14 minutes 2 points, no rebounds and no assists won't cut it.

We'll see how next games go.

Reaction Score
Your video commentary is priceless! It made me laugh and I appreciate that very much. However, I do agree that Caroline seems to get lost out there so far this season. In other posts I have explained why I believe this is happening, so I won't repeat myself here. I just hope she finds her beautiful game soon.
Me, too. And this is why I hope she continues to start games. This is the best way for her to find that beautiful game.

Reaction Score
Seems the most effective cohesive lineup tonight was Ice, Edward's, Ashlyn, Kk and Paige. They changed the moment of the game. Paige, Kk and Shade weren't scared and were capable of attacking the basket.
It dont seem like the others have change of direction movement to the basket that these three have. Without it it makes you one dimensional.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom