New starting lineup suggestion... (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New starting lineup suggestion... (merged)

JBK

Reaction Score
When Bueckers is at the point she makes everyone else on the floor better. As an off-guard she won't score much more than she would at the point. Also, Geno said he wants to put players in situations that they are best at and that what they are best at is almost always what they love to do. Bueckers does not love to shoot. She lives to pass and to run the team. She is she shows nothing but confidence running the team and that rubs off. I've watched her for the last 5 years and that's how it's been the entire time.

In any case, the issue isn't who plays guard but rather how to shore up the front line. Playing 4 guards today resulted in NCSt's 2 forwards dominating our guards. What about Edwards? Ste was playing center.
UConn needs more size on the court. Right now, until Patterson gets back, both Griffin and Ducharme need to start with Edwards. Fill in the other two starters with whomever you want.
Agree with your comments except for Caroline. I am rooting hard for her to get healthy but she will struggle against top 10 programs and their speed and toughness. She will be fine with the big East competition

Reaction Score
When you want your point guard to attack inside and make something happen, KK is a better option. This may be why some people want KK as an alternate option at the point. And KK certainly has the quick feet to be an elite defender even if she isn't right now at Nika's level- when she is in the game, it isn't much of a drop-off.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anything out of Patterson to warrant quality minutes. I hope she proves me wrong. But, either her or Brady need to step up become a major contributor.
huskyblooz- - Ayanna hasn't played yet this season because of her operated knee!
There's no telling her improvement till she has several real games under her belt!

Reaction Score
When Bueckers is at the point she makes everyone else on the floor better. As an off-guard she won't score much more than she would at the point. Also, Geno said he wants to put players in situations that they are best at and that what they are best at is almost always what they love to do. Bueckers does not love to shoot. She lives to pass and to run the team. She is she shows nothing but confidence running the team and that rubs off. I've watched her for the last 5 years and that's how it's been the entire time.

In any case, the issue isn't who plays guard but rather how to shore up the front line. Playing 4 guards today resulted in NCSt's 2 forwards dominating our guards. What about Edwards? Ste was playing center.
UConn needs more size on the court. Right now, until Patterson gets back, both Griffin and Ducharme need to start with Edwards. Fill in the other two starters with whomever you want.
Ummm. What position did Paige play when she won all those awards her freshman year?

Reaction Score

Paige can make others better by being a pg, sg or sf. That's what she does best. To pigeon-hole her as just a pg is a bit insulting to her.
And as far as "Buekcers doesn't love to shoot," and trying to tie it into Geno said "Do what you best;" How is shooting over 46% from 3 like she did her frosh year not equate to doing "what she does best?"

And why have you ignored the comemtns that Geno has also said that he wants Paige to shoot more and only focus on "do what you do best?"

This thread is a way too-early over-reaction.

Looking forwad to Patterson coming back and hope for health for all the players.

Reaction Score
Unlikely Geno would start a freshman over a healthy senior
He’s done it in the past. He started Fudd over Westbrook (not the whole season, but at least during the post season if not longer) during Westbrook’s senior season. If it’s an adjustment that he thinks will work, he will likely try it.

Reaction Score
Agree with this, has always been Geno’s mentality- although I wish he would be quicker to adjust playing time within the game. KK’s speed was needed this game. Could have taken playing time from take your pick - Nika, Azzi. We need a 5 in a big way, AE is a 4, but that ain’t gonna happen this year which means we need Ice to have her growing pains by seeing more PT.
Adding to a previous comment I made about Geno starting a freshman Fudd over Westbrook during Westbrook’s senior season, didn’t Geno start a freshman Kia Nurse over sophomore Saniya Chong and and redshirt sophomore Morgan Tuck over senior Kiah Stokes when he decided Nurse’s defense and Tuck’s offense/versatility worked better for the team? Geno has changed lineups before when he saw certain players weren’t giving him/the team what was needed. It’s okay. We all want every UConn player to succeed, but some are just better suited for certain roles (e.g., defensive stopper or rebounder).

Reaction Score
NCS didnt beat us on 2 point baskets. NCS didnt beat us on 3 pt shots. They beat us on the foul line.
Rivers is the most athletic guard in the country who worked on her weakness mid range jumpers and 3 point shooting. She is also a defensive stopper who was on Piage and Azzi to try and slow them down.
In other words Rivers beat us because she played like an All American.
We should start the following.
Paige
Azzi
Edwards
Q
Aubrey
Ice and KK need time on the floor.
I watched SC play Maryland and Cardoza is 6'7 and she does not play at the top of the key.
Maybe if our 6'6 girl was placed under the basket it might help her succeed. Our offense is designed to leave the middle open for cutting and backdoors. Maybe some other options could be incorporated.

Reaction Score
NCS didnt beat us on 2 point baskets. NCS didnt beat us on 3 pt shots. They beat us on the foul line.
Rivers is the most athletic guard in the country who worked on her weakness mid range jumpers and 3 point shooting. She is also a defensive stopper who was on Piage and Azzi to try and slow them down.
In other words Rivers beat us because she played like an All American.
We should start the following.
Paige
Azzi
Edwards
Q
Aubrey
Ice and KK need time on the floor.
I watched SC play Maryland and Cardoza is 6'7 and she does not play at the top of the key.
Maybe if our 6'6 girl was placed under the basket it might help her succeed. Our offense is designed to leave the middle open for cutting and backdoors. Maybe some other options could be incorporated.
UConn has a6’6” player ?

Reaction Score
To much over thinking on this post. So let me add some more..:):)

We gotta get away from all this spacing the floor and shooting three madness. The opponents perimeter defenders have to know there is a threat in the post to help free up space.
Ice has to be the starter. Then you set your rotation around your bigs.
Ice isn't in game shape yet and The Speed of the game isn't natural yet. So get start here and get her use to it. Mix in Amari for quick breathers for both post players. We can't have our bigs not being aggressive trying not topick up fouls because the coach won't use the bench post players.

Aubrey, Q, KK are must play players in the rotation.

Starting small lineups will do nothing but keep us in foul trouble.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I would definitely start Aubrey. Probably the only experienced player we have with plus-athleticism. We need her help on the boards and on the defensive end. I believe she got hit in the head and missed Q2 & Q3 today, and you can see how it impacted the game. Paige and AE are the other 2 obvious starters. Maybe the other 2 spots depend on the opponent.
She got hit while making a back breaking bad play 2 nd half. She is athletic yes. Gets beat all the time by playing bad team defense.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
To much over thinking on this post. So let me add some more..:):)

We gotta get away from all this spacing the floor and shooting three madness. The opponents perimeter defenders have to know there is a threat in the post to help free up space.
Ice has to be the starter. Then you set your rotation around your bigs.
Ice isn't in game shape yet and The Speed of the game isn't natural yet. So get start here and get her use to it. Mix in Amari for quick breathers for both post players. We can't have our bigs not being aggressive trying not topick up fouls because the coach won't use the bench post players.

Aubrey, Q, KK are must play players in the rotation.

Starting small lineups will do nothing but keep us in foul trouble.
Ice 2 games in looks slow, doesn't get back on defense, didn't play 2nd half. KK same was lost was removed fast. Right now Qadence only new player showing up.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone wants Nika benched. She did her job and did it well. Shes not a scoring machine but she did have 6 assists and a steal plus several rebounds and NO turn overs. She played as good of defense as anyone on UCONN and got little help from the Freshmen who were out of sync and position many times.
Yes.

Reaction Score
Our 3 guard lineup of Paige, Azzi & Nika is too slow defensively.
The interesting thing is that Paige can't be much slower than Lou and last year Nika,Azzi, and Lou worked fine. I probably would just switch Caroline with Ayanna when she's available or Amari. I know Amari will never happen but I like the idea of her starting cuz u can play her 2 minutes or 20 depending on how she's playing. She's 6'5 with length and a junior.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He’s done it in the past. He started Fudd over Westbrook (not the whole season, but at least during the post season if not longer) during Westbrook’s senior season. If it’s an adjustment that he thinks will work, he will likely try it.
I’ll rephrase - it’s unlikely Geno will play a freshman over a healthy senior after 2 games

The poster I responded to suggested replacing 2 seniors with freshmen

Reaction Score
Rewatched game and while more rebounding would have been helpful, it was NC State's guards that created their win. While a zone would have helped against the many made outside shots, it was the constant drives past Nika and others that gave them the lead. While many initial reactions, mine included, was to add more height, just shutting down the drives would have given UConn the win. Not sure what lineup changes Geno could make - bench Nika, etc.? If we go with Paige/Nika/Azzi as starters, should Geno finially allow a zone. Tough one but suspect the next few practices will focus on all Huskies moving their feet.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing is that Paige can't be much slower than Lou and last year Nika,Azzi, and Lou worked fine. I probably would just switch Caroline with Ayanna when she's available or Amari. I know Amari will never happen but I like the idea of her starting cuz u can play her 2 minutes or 20 depending on how she's playing. She's 6'5 with length and a junior.
I thought the same since last year. Switch Ayana for Caroline

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I am not opposed to shaking up the lineup. Could be a good thing.

Guards need to start driving inside the 3 point line to shoot. The 3's aren't falling. Can't keep shooting 3's until they fall.

Can't continue the 4 guard, 1 big lineup. Geno has to figure out how to rotate Edwards, Griffin and Brady to have at least two in the game at all times. Patterson being able to play should help. And frankly, Geno needs Amari's height in there at times.

As to the guards, Paige and Nika start. Then Edwards starts. After that, it's open as to who can produce.

Reaction Score
I am not opposed to shaking up the lineup. Could be a good thing.

Guards need to start driving inside the 3 point line to shoot. The 3's aren't falling. Can't keep shooting 3's until they fall.

Can't continue the 4 guard, 1 big lineup. Geno has to figure out how to rotate Edwards, Griffin and Brady to have at least two in the game at all times. Patterson being able to play should help. And frankly, Geno needs Amari's height in there at times.

As to the guards, Paige and Nika start. Then Edwards starts. After that, it's open as to who can produce.
I agree a shake up is in order.
Going forward Geno may want to recruit some dogs as coach Prime phrased it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom