2020 Recruiting: - New Rivals 150 for 2020 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: New Rivals 150 for 2020

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
By ultimately do you mean this year? Because he may have to out of necessity, but he’s a face up PF, not a center.

Everything I've seen about him is that he is a great rebounder, who can score around the basket or in transition efficiently, but he doesn't have much of a jump shot. Since he's now supposedly 6'9"-10" I think he can be a college 5. Especially on a transition type team like we project to be.

Long term, I envision him as a swing PF-C, who plays both positions based upon match-ups. I mean, Al Horford is a face up power forward and was playing center for the Celtics. Most modern centers are face up power forwards.

Reaction Score
long term, I envision him as a swing PF-C, who plays both positions based upon match-ups.

that's fair, but a lot of elite teams would necessitate playing big lineups with springs at the 4. guys under 200 lbs (*cough* polley *cough*) wouldn't be able to hold their own. just off the top of my head all these guys played the 4 last season: pj washington, brandon clarke, zion, xavier tillman, dj lawson, diakite, luke maye, grant williams, kabengele.... that was pretty much the elite 8 right there and they were all huge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
that's fair, but a lot of elite teams necessitate playing big lineups. guys under 200 lbs (*cough* polley *cough*) wouldn't be able to hold their own against them. just off the top of my head all these guys played the 4 last season: pj washington, brandon clarke, zion, xavier tillman, dj lawson, diakite, luke maye, grant williams, kabengele.... that was pretty much the elite 8 right there and they were all huge.
Half that list was the team's starting center and the other half are prototypical stretch 4's. Not sure what your point is

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
that's fair, but a lot of elite teams necessitate playing big lineups. guys under 200 lbs (*cough* polley *cough*) wouldn't be able to hold their own against them. just off the top of my head all these guys played the 4 last season: pj washington, brandon clarke, zion, xavier tillman, dj lawson, diakite, luke maye, grant williams, kabengele.... that was pretty much the elite 8 right there and they were all huge.

OK, but Zags calls him 6'9" 220 pounds. Richard Springs joins UConn for 2019 class (UPDATED) | Zagsblog

I honestly think this is why Hurley nabbed him on the reclassification. If he went back next year, clearly no longer the 6'7" 200 pound guy he was, he was going to blow up. But I'm no expert nor in the know.

Reaction Score
This isn't the 90s, you need shooters in the floor and playing 2 guys who can't shoot we're going to be run out of the gym

thats exactly why akok was my favorite 2019 recruit and why jaylin williams was my favorite 2020 target.

But call me old fashioned, I still think a PF that can’t shoot 3s matches up better with those elite 8 teams than a PF that can’t rebound

Last edited:
Reaction Score
thats exactly why akok was my favorite 2019 recruit and why jaylin williams was my favorite 2020 target.

But call me old fashioned, I still think a PF that can’t shoot 3s still matches up better with those elite 8 teams than a PF that can’t rebound
It can work in short stretches, but yes that's a very old fashioned view. If Springs is playing 5 minutes a game at the 4, sure that can work against certain teams, but not a receipe for success. And given the way Hurley has talked, he's not a 4 in Hurley's system

Reaction Score
but not a receipe for success

agreed. this is/was a pick your poison scenario. neither springs nor polley is an ideal PF in today's game, unlike akok and jaylin.

circling back to my original hypothetical- if we can only get 1 of the 3 wing targets i too would rather wait until the spring/summer for a grad transfer, rather than sign 2 freshmen centers.

Reaction Score
What's it say? Won't load
The new tweet with the correct name is in the Richmond thread, but here's the screenshot
86335F7E-1FCF-4545-9C25-B2FB1A3B0BD7.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom