New AP Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New AP Poll

Reaction Score
most likely the committee just flipped uconn and xavier seed because it wasnt egregious and an easier way to get them uconn iona in albany

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2011 they were 9.
2014 they were 18.
2021 they were 21.

In 2009 they were 9.

1999 they were 3
2004 they were 7 (lol!)

They've never gone into the tournament at #1.
I made a mistake. They were #5 going into the 2009 tournament. Can't edit.

Reaction Score
most likely the committee just flipped uconn and xavier seed because it wasnt egregious and an easier way to get them uconn iona in albany
Yep, they love doing stuff like that.

If there was any way possible they could get the Hurley vs. Hurley matchup they would've done it.

Reaction Score

If there was any way possible they could get the Hurley vs. Hurley matchup they would've done it.
Yes, I hypothesized that the Committee had committed to UConn/Iona in Albany before the process even started and worked the seedings around that.

The funny thing is, they might have gotten Hurley/Hurley if they gave us the 3 seed as appropriate and put us in a pod with 11 ASU.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seth Davis was an early doubter, one of the last to rank us. Good to see someone adjust when facts dictate doing so.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When you’re his age, with the health problems he’s had, things do slip your mind. I wonder if he’ll admit he made a mistake. Check his Twitter page.
He was probably confusing UConn while looking for Connecticut?
I honestly think it was an error

Reaction Score
I don’t think we were even a high 4 seeing they made us go West, am I wrong? We have always been under rated, but it hasn’t stopped us from winning it all four times. So I expected this and like where we are. I think most likely, although it shouldn’t be a consideration, is the past two one and dones and the fact we have been been great and also equally bad so it is hard for them to know which team is going to show up. Just my poor two cents.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we were even a high 4 seeing they made us go West, am I wrong? We have always been under rated, but it hasn’t stopped us from winning it all four times. So I expected this and like where we are. I think most likely, although it shouldn’t be a consideration, is the past two one and dones and the fact we have been been great and also equally bad so it is hard for them to know which team is going to show up. Just my poor two cents.
UConn was the first 4 seed.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
He was probably confusing UConn while looking for Connecticut?
I honestly think it was an error
Yeah, he meant to put Conn College???

Reaction Score
Weak OOC SOS
2 losses to the team they put one spot ahead of us on the S-curve. Seems pretty obvious.

I do ultimately agree that our SOS could/should have been better. But that's what that 3-seed came down to. If we split with Xavier we're the last 3 and the SOS didn't come into it. If we split with Xavier and took away the Seton Hall loss...we play that Marquette game in the BET finals and then our SOS comes into play about whether we're a 2.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
2 losses to the team they put one spot ahead of us on the S-curve. Seems pretty obvious.

I do ultimately agree that our SOS could/should have been better. But that's what that 3-seed came down to. If we split with Xavier we're the last 3 and the SOS didn't come into it. If we split with Xavier and took away the Seton Hall loss...we play that Marquette game in the BET finals and then our SOS comes into play about whether we're a 2.
It's not even about Xavier. If we had a better OOC schedule, Gonzaga and K-State would have been behind us as well. Gonzaga is starting behind the 8-ball because the WCC is weak.

Reaction Score
It's not even about Xavier. If we had a better OOC schedule, Gonzaga and K-State would have been behind us as well.
There's just no way it could have been enough to jump the amount of Q1s they got from their conference. Florida and Oregon ended up Q1 games. Maybe if there were a few Q2 games thrown in, but I don't think it's all that likely it would have ensured the 3-seed without beating Xavier.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There's just no way it could have been enough to jump the amount of Q1s they got from their conference. Florida and Oregon ended up Q1 games. Maybe if there were a few Q2 games thrown in, but I don't think it's all that likely it would have ensured the 3-seed without beating Xavier.
Two extra power conference opponents instead of cupcakes would have gotten it done. We wouldn't have been able to match Q1s but we weren't that far behind K-State as is. The committee cares about OOC SOS- see Texas A&M again.

Reaction Score
Two extra power conference opponents instead of cupcakes would have gotten it done. We wouldn't have been able to match Q1s but we weren't that far behind K-State as is.
Depends on the P5 and depends on whether we won or not. SOS is already factored into the NET, and our superior NET didn't matter relative to K State, Baylor, etc. We already had more Q1&2 wins than Gonzaga and we were 3 slots behind them.

Kansas State and Baylor had only 1 fewer Q4 game than us. It was just that their conference performed exceptionally well and every road game was Q1. Almost nothing we could have done—except beat the teams on our schedule we should have, like St. John's or Seton Hall—would have made a difference. cf. Houston v. Kansas. If SOS was so important alone, that doesn't happen.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seth Davis was an early doubter, one of the last to rank us. Good to see someone adjust when facts dictate doing so.
I agree. His early doubt had a strong, "Show me" vibe, and I appreciate that he stepped up when shown. Makes me have to admit that I've reflexively disliked him as a Dookie but can't anymore.

Never imagined I'd be offering kudos & amends at the same time, let alone publicly more or less.

Plus, his vote was a particularly good one.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
#10 in the AP poll and # 4 on Kenpom, yet a 4 Seed? What am I missing ?
With a higher top-to-bottom ranking, Big 12 got 4 teams seeded 3 or above, and Big East got 2 . Was that right? I don't think so.

I think the final AP made appropriate corrections that aligned with Tournanent results, Kenpom rankings, NET rankings, Big East-Big 12 and relevant team head-to-head competition. Baylor & Kansas State dropped below UConn and seem overseeded by every measurement except Committee behavior.

UConn is the school that has both MBB and WBB ranked in the Top 10.

As with the Boneyard naysayers, the NCAA Tournament committee reinforces that UConn fans can't win unless the team wins, so may it be.

One
Game
At
A
Time

A note on the naysayers, who are savvy bettors: UConn can never win.

For each of the 4 NCs, they've had their eternal, "Wait until next year" as an eventually gratifying lodestar. And their recruiting pitch is more persistent than the Jehovah's Witnesses who ring your doorbell. Often the Committee can't resist taking their pronouncements as counsel.

One
Game
At
A
Time

Reaction Score
Polls mean absolutely nothing right now. The seeds are in. The only poll that matter now is the final on and that won’t be decided by the press or coaches. It will be decided on the court.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score

I have wondered if they give any thought to dramatic matchups, or if those things just happen naturally. Seems like they have a lot to consider already without taking personal storylines into account. When something like Providence vs Kentucky happens, is that just happenstance? I think if you picked the brackets at random, things like this would pop up no matter what.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom