ND UConn thoughts (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND UConn thoughts (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think UConn is ready for ND and I dont think ND is ready for UConn. UConn is playing with confidence and with alot of fire. As far as the Flop Sisters showin up. I dont think so. We take to many outside shots. You cant flop on an outside shot. With that said we may take a few charges early on which could hurt NDs confidence. For those of you worried about this game think about this. UConn is shooting at over a 50% clip. ND will have to stop that. We have 4 players averaging in double figures and ND will have to contain that to cut down on our scoring. We run hard and ND will have to keep up with that. ND is not a quick team. As far as rebounding. If we shoot around 50% there may not be alot of rebounds.

I think UConn may win this by alot and it just may be over sooner then you think. We can explode and score alot of points in a very short time and its in a balanced attack. We are really really good and on National TV I expect us to shine.
It was hard to make ND look fast, but we managed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I think that Geno should have intentionally gotten a technical foul within minutes after Azzi's injury. The refs were letting ND get too physical and the foul that Miles did on Nika should have been a flagrant 2 with Miles being forced to leave. Nika could have been seriously injured, but I guess ND always gets away with that in South Bend.

Reaction Score
Have rarely seen a team so unprepared for another. All week, myself and others commented on how predictable Miles was, always going right and using her long arms to shoot layups. Allowing her to do this from the start of the game is a mystery. We also knew ND would faceguard Fudd, yet there were few plays to get her open. While I fully expect UConn to win if they play again, seeing the predictable offensive and defensive play of ND and not have Huskies ready to play was disappointing.

Reaction Score
Have rarely seen a team so unprepared for another. All week, myself and others commented on how predictable Miles was, always going right and using her long arms to shoot layups. Allowing her to do this from the start of the game is a mystery. We also knew ND would faceguard Fudd, yet there were few plays to get her open. While I fully expect UConn to win if they play again, seeing the predictable offensive and defensive play of ND and not have Huskies ready to play was disappointing.
I seem to remember several layups Miles made going left. She is a good player and showed it. ND is a good team and showed it.
And I have said it before, this was not Fudd’s first rodeo, and I am sure she has been face guarded before; it was her job to get open. I disagree big time blaming it on the plays. She couldn’t shake Citron, plain and simple. Maybe Citron couldn’t have done it for the whole game but we’ll never know.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I think that Geno should have intentionally gotten a technical foul within minutes after Azzi's injury. The refs were letting ND get too physical and the foul that Miles did on Nika should have been a flagrant 2 with Miles being forced to leave. Nika could have been seriously injured, but I guess ND always gets away with that in South Bend.
Umm no. Flagrant 2 is a punch. That was the Furthest thing from a flagrant 2…get real..

Reaction Score
The game was won with ND energy and their size down low. Amari should have been in the game a lot earlier. ND played smart and laid off all non 3 point shooters for Uconn.

Reaction Score
I would have liked to see Fudd switched to playing some point guard this game. Especially, since they wanted to faceguard and also make Miles play more on ball defense against an offensive threat. Nika is pass first. TBH I think after Azzi left, the rest of the game was an offensive experiment on what combos worked and which would never work.

Reaction Score
This isn’t the final four. It’s an early season game. uConn tried to make Miles go left. ND just shot lights out today. Tip your hat and get ready for the next game. Geno won’t loose any sleep over this game. UConn played hard and fought back and got themselves back into the game. The fight in UConn was good to see. ND just played better today. it’s one game and your can’t win them all. UConn will be ok.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Going forward any discussion of Aubrey staying in the starting lineup when Dorka is healthy is over. In fact her position of the first forward to come off the bench should be in jeopardy. If Azzi is not hurt too bad. Watching the game the difference in apparent improvement from their HS years competing between Aubrey and Sonia is striking.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, UConn had no answer for Miles.
True to an extent, but they had no answers on defense period. ND shot 56% from the floor and coincidentally, so did Miles. She got them off and running big time with 13 in the 1st qtr but Uconn was only down 5 at the end of the qtr. ND broke the game open in the 2nd qtr and Miles only had 2, and 2 in the 3rd. She got 4 in the 4th for her total of 21, so after her 13, she got 8 the last 3 quarters, with 4 assists and 5 TOs. In my estimation, her start certainly set ND up nicely but so did their defense. Muhl’s 2 3’s were UConn’s only points almost 6 1/2 minutes into the game when Senechal hit a 3.
From 18-13, Uconn went almost 5 full minutes in the 2nd qtr scoring only 2 points, and were still only down 8 when Senechal hit a 3 at the 5:16 mark to make the score 26-18. But ND then ended the half on a 15-6 run to go up 17. Uconn had a shot to get back in at 49-44 and the ball but ND ended the 3rd on a 9-2 run to get the lead back to 12. Uconn never got closer than 10 in the 4th.

Reaction Score
I wasn't surprised Uconn lost, I think it's safe to say the players who were on the court ND was more experienced. And they were going to come out strong after a bad loss.

Reaction Score
ND vs UCONN Thoughts:

UCONN loses Azzi Fudd after just 13 minutes. (While already losing Bueckers for the year and Ice) playing away from Home. Guess what? More than likely they are gonna lose. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
Amari couldn’t defend in the post. She wants to play on the perimeter.
This is a puzzling issue (DeBerry), play or not play (geno)… something hasn’t happended to allow her to be on the court. We shot poorly and our “bigs” were thinking about TIkTok.

Reaction Score
Going forward any discussion of Aubrey staying in the starting lineup when Dorka is healthy is over. In fact her position of the first forward to come off the bench should be in jeopardy. If Azzi is not hurt too bad. Watching the game the difference in apparent improvement from their HS years competing between Aubrey and Sonia is striking.
Sonia didn’t do much today either, I hardly noticed her.

Reaction Score
No one we have can guard Miles and Ebo is too big and strong for anyone we have. We have to have a good game plan to beat them because one on one we can’t guard those two and that’s a problem. We don t match up well with them, but we can beat them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is a puzzling issue (DeBerry), play or not play (geno)… something hasn’t happended to allow her to be on the court. We shot poorly and our “bigs” were thinking about TIkTok.
It is really not that puzzling. It is this simple: UCONN is down two post players in Ice and Dorka, that means opportunity is knocking for Amari. Amari is not answering the door. Amari didn't answer the door last year either when Liv when down during conference play or when Dorka went down in the NCAA tournament.. Opportunity is very impatient and will quietly go knocking on a different door. Ayanna had no problem answering her knock this year and Caroline answered her knock last year.

Reaction Score
To say that you UConn was undersized today is an understatement. There were plays where AG at 6 ft 1 in was playing center. AE is a strong 6'3 but the rest of the UConn team was undersized it appeared at almost every position. Notre Dame had at least three or four players that seem to own the paint the whole game that were bigger and physically stronger than their matchup. What's worrisome was not just the fact that UConn was undersized but also was slower than Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Do you think UCONN will drop in the polls? Does Ohio State or Indiana have a strong enough resume to jump over them? Or does UCONN's #1 strength of schedule keep them at #3 after losing to a 7th ranked team?
I can see ND elevate into the top 5, but not higher than that....for now.

Reaction Score
Amari couldn’t defend in the post. She wants to play on the perimeter.
I give you that. But she would have played D and drained some of her shots...She would have helped today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom