ND UConn thoughts (merged thread) | The Boneyard

ND UConn thoughts (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think UConn is ready for ND and I dont think ND is ready for UConn. UConn is playing with confidence and with alot of fire. As far as the Flop Sisters showin up. I dont think so. We take to many outside shots. You cant flop on an outside shot. With that said we may take a few charges early on which could hurt NDs confidence. For those of you worried about this game think about this. UConn is shooting at over a 50% clip. ND will have to stop that. We have 4 players averaging in double figures and ND will have to contain that to cut down on our scoring. We run hard and ND will have to keep up with that. ND is not a quick team. As far as rebounding. If we shoot around 50% there may not be alot of rebounds.

I think UConn may win this by alot and it just may be over sooner then you think. We can explode and score alot of points in a very short time and its in a balanced attack. We are really really good and on National TV I expect us to shine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, does ND have one of those "Have not lost 2 consecutive home games in XXX years " streaks?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Uconn has played only two teams Massey rated outside the Top 50, that is #205 Northeastern and #116 Providence, the others are #4 NC State, #22 Iowa, #23 Duke, and #31 Texas. While Notre Dame has played only one team rated in the Top 50 and lost to them at home, #11 Maryland. While the remaining teams that they have played are #58 Northwestern, #60 Cal, #63 AZ St, #94 N. Illinois, #100 Ball State, and #283 American.

While the scoring average is about the same UConn 89 - 61 for an 28 pt a game winning average. ND has a 23 pt a game winning average 87 - 64, the difference is who they played, UConn is rated as having the toughest schedule so far, while ND is rated 16th.

Reaction Score
Maryland has a tradition of never beating a decent team on the road. But they beat ND, though a one point, last second prayer may not amount to much of a beating. The Irish will be very motivated to win at home vs the Huskies. As the usually pessimistic Tony C. wrote above, UConn is the superior team in most regards. Except for Sonia Citron and Olivia Miles, ND has no distinguished players. Their bigs are ordinary. On paper this shouldn't be too difficult. But, given the sour history between these programs, anything can happen. Ask Stewie.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It astounds me that UConn shoots 12.5 free throws /game, while the Irish shoot 28.5 or some such crazy number. Not sure how such a discrepancy exists. That is a lot of points to concede. Not that UConn will foul that much, but still. Seems odd.

Reaction Score
Uconn has played only two teams Massey rated outside the Top 50, that is #205 Northeastern and #116 Providence, the others are #4 NC State, #22 Iowa, #23 Duke, and #31 Texas. While Notre Dame has played only one team rated in the Top 50 and lost to them at home, #11 Maryland. While the remaining teams that they have played are #58 Northwestern, #60 Cal, #63 AZ St, #94 N. Illinois, #100 Ball State, and #283 American.

While the scoring average is about the same UConn 89 - 61 for an 28 pt a game winning average. ND has a 23 pt a game winning average 87 - 64, the difference is who they played, UConn is rated as having the toughest schedule so far, while ND is rated 16th.
I'm actually surprised ND's SoS is as good as it turns out to be. I thought it would be worse. Oherwise, I agree with everything you say.

Reaction Score
Just hope the local ABC affiliate decides to carry the game tomorrow afternoon.
They decided that a WCBB game wasn’t good enough for them the last time.

Reaction Score
UConn not afraid to play anyone, anywhere - but I wish ND beat Maryland as ND losing twice in a row at home would be interesting. Love the way this UConn team competes. Will be a great game and I give UConn the advantage based on their current body of work.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised ND's SoS is as good as it turns out to be. I thought it would be worse. Oherwise, I agree with everything you say.
Actually that only shows how bad the other 344 teams behind them are in scheduling good competition, at least 83 out of the Top 100, heck LSU's SoS is 324 and they are ranked #11 in the AP and #12 in the Coaches Poll.

Reaction Score
Maryland has a tradition of never beating a decent team on the road. But they beat ND, though a one point, last second prayer may not amount to much of a beating. The Irish will be very motivated to win at home vs the Huskies. As the usually pessimistic Tony C. wrote above, UConn is the superior team in most regards. Except for Sonia Citron and Olivia Miles, ND has no distinguished players. Their bigs are ordinary. On paper this shouldn't be too difficult. But, given the sour history between these programs, anything can happen. Ask Stewie.
Are you talking about the NC Stewie won against a strong shooting ND? Or the multiple overtime game with Uconn's walking wounded? The one KML had a chance to win. Only The Courant said: Muffet has Geno's number. That was before the NC. (won by 18,) the exact cumulative number of all the ND wins against UC that year)
With the departure of Muffet I have mellowed on ND. I still want Uconn to win.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Are you talking about the NC Stewie won against a strong shooting ND? Or the multiple overtime game with Uconn's walking wounded? The one KML had a chance to win. Only The Courant said: Muffet has Geno's number. That was before the NC. (won by 18,) the exact cumulative number of all the ND wins against UC that year)
It doesn't matter to me who the coach is or what sport is being played. I'm always rooting for the team that is playing against ND, be it football, basketball, baseball, heck if they had a tiddly winks team I would be rooting for the other team.

Reaction Score
Just hope the local ABC affiliate decides to carry the game tomorrow afternoon.
They decided that a WCBB game wasn’t good enough for them the last time.
I checked my listings for 3 PM tomorrow and my local ABC (WPLG Miami) has the game scheduled. They didn't last week when the game was on ABC. It will also be available on the ESPN App (ESPN 3/WatchESPN). I checked the schedule there also.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Bad news, ABC has scheduled a men's game ( Michigan vs. Kentucky) from 1pm - 3 pm. When has a men's game ever finished on time?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Bad news, ABC has scheduled a men's game ( Michigan vs. Kentucky) from 1pm - 3 pm. When has a men's game ever finished on time?
Hardly ever, I wish they would go to 4 quarters like all the other basketball leagues have done. The NBA, WNBA, FIBA, and Women's College Basketball. Almost 70% of the Men's College Basketball go for more than 2 hours, while the Women's over 80% finish in less than 2 hours.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It's UConn vs. ND. That's all you need to know.

Now the qualification. It is not the same rivalry that it once was. We are not in the same conference. We don't play each other twice a year and then in the league tournament.

Will it be a good game - probably. I expect UConn will slowly pull away with a comfortable win.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And does anyone have a guess where the beginning of the game will be broadcast when the men's game runs over? One of the ESPN networks?

Reaction Score
You have a great memory, Kid. I can still visualize KML standing in the right corner of the court (all alone) and missing a 3 that would have won the game. Uh.
I mention Stewie's experience with ND because during her 4 years her teams only lost 5 games (yikes). I believe that 3 of those were against the Irish: home and away and the league championship. Then, as you point out, beating ND in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Im wondering if ND will get there typically home foul calls. If they do, it’s a closer game

Reaction Score
And does anyone have a guess where the beginning of the game will be broadcast when the men's game runs over? One of the ESPN networks?
How come they just don't schedule 2 1/2 hours for the men's games? Seems like this is a pretty common problem.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This says the tip-off is 3:15 so be prepared for anything

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
History Lesson:
ND has a tendency to take our strengths and turn them into weaknesses.

Overpassing on the offensive end, helping out on defense will be themes today.

Of course 2 ND players will be on fire from 3pt land per usual. They will shoot 30 FT’s to our 8 FT attempts. We will get limited fast break layups.

We will need to work hard, continue to move on offense, not foul and maintain composure in the face of the pressure.

ND is well coached, they are smart players, and this is the biggest game of the year for them.

This will be big for the UCONN team if they come out with a win.

Reaction Score
sos.. figures the 1 top ten team they can't beat is ND. they've had UConn's number since like 2010 or so. when will UC learn to reverse the fortunes? this ND dominance is getting ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom