"ND tired of being overshadowed by UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"ND tired of being overshadowed by UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, generally, I ignore these posts but between your unnecessary bravado and bad English, I wanted to poke my eyes out.

As a person I don't think you're that perfect as your English is! :p

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I grew so tired of the proclamations that ND had won seven of the last eight against us and thus had our number. That percentage was data cherry-picking at its finest and as much an artifact of the teams playing an extraordinary number of games in such a short span of time. 12 games in 3 years is just unheard of and no true indicator unchallenged superiority. Yes, ND had won 7 of 8 at one point (even 8 of 9 going into last year's final four) but it was in the space of two years (plus a final four win from the previous year. Go back another two years and what do you get? UConn 8 wins to ND 7. Where's the domination? Where's the evidence they had our number?

How is that cherry picking? Notre Dame did win 7 of the previous 8 meetings between the two, and it was spread out over 3 seasons (not 2.) Saying it's cherry picking is like saying that Connecticut's 90 game win streak is cherry picking because if you include the game before the streak and the game after, they went 90-2.

Reaction Score
More importantly during that 4th meeting last year, Stewie found herself. Would love to see another huge game from her. Do what Geno did w/Maya against Syracuse in 2010 - let her score as many as she wants just because she can to make a statement.
Stewie wouldn't do that, she would start looking to make assists on her team-mates baskets. For Stewie its always about the Team, not about her.

Reaction Score
All true hoops
but we've got some amazing talent coming in
Perhaps 2, ready to play major minutes.
Kaleena, Stewie and Mo as your all-stars
i wouldn't sweat next year.
Next year Kaleena finally healthy, Moriah now being a scorer, Kiah might be the best interior defender in the country. You have more depth, and then there's Stewie, as good as she has been this year, as Geno has said she is not a finished product. You also have BB, who should finally be healthy. Everyone was worried about replacing Kelly, UConn doesn't worry about replacing people, they just expect the players who are left to step up their game, and they normally do.

Reaction Score
So, generally, I ignore these posts but between your unnecessary bravado and bad English, I wanted to poke my eyes out.
I know nothing about Hongster but is it possible that he's from Hong Kong and English is his second language? I have a daughter-in-law from Taiwan who speaks 4 languages and I bow down in admiration even though her English grammar and spelling are a bit sketchy.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about Hongster but is it possible that he's from Hong Kong and English is his second language? I have a daughter-in-law from Taiwan who speaks 4 languages and I bow down in admiration even though her English grammar and spelling are a bit sketchy.

Close but no cigar! :D. I speak a few languages and they are all messed up. :eek:. But, English is definitely not my forte for sure. Learning a little Dutch slang right now in the Netherlands. And man this Dutch thing is very tough.

U

UCONNfan1

I don't know about next year. Why is everyone so confident? I mean we're losing two All-Americans in Dolson and Hartley. Do we really think the team is going to be better off next year swapping out Dolson and Hartley for Stokes and Chong/Tuck/Banks (assuming Tuck is even available at the start of next season)? Dolson is probably the most versatile center we've ever had, and Hartley is in statistical categories with Moore and Taurasi. That's not going to be easy to replace.
Why confident next year? Because we will arguably have the best 1 in the nation, the best 3 in the nation, and the best 4 in the nation. If (and it's a big if) Tuck is anything like her potential, she's one of the top players in her class. Stokes is the best defensive 5 in the nation, and our starting 2 should be either Nurse or Chong. Our bench will be crazy deep and a far cry from the 6 deep we went this year in big games...

I totally agree with you about losing 2 AA's, but the rest of the team returning will be even more improved, and we add one of the very best recruiting classes in the nation, and possibly the best class of guards UCONN has ever recruited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Close but no cigar! :D. I speak a few languages and they are all messed up. :eek:. But, English is definitely not my forte for sure. Learning a little Dutch slang right now in the Netherlands. And man this Dutch thing is very tough.
We welcome the international community! ;)

Reaction Score
How is that cherry picking? Notre Dame did win 7 of the previous 8 meetings between the two, and it was spread out over 3 seasons (not 2.) Saying it's cherry picking is like saying that Connecticut's 90 game win streak is cherry picking because if you include the game before the streak and the game after, they went 90-2.
Cherry picking in the sense that they started with a conclusion then went data shopping to justify that conclusion. Why else include only that part of the 2010-11 season that includes the ND win? Why not include the three UConn wins from that season? They excluded pertinent data because it would have undermined their conclusion rather than bolster it.

Your 90 game win streak doesn't relate to my point because it's a statement of fact, not conclusion. If they'd just stated that ND had won seven of eight you'd have been correct, but they didn't stop with the statement of fact. They used that fact to justify their conclusion which was that somehow ND was inside UConn's head, had taken the measure of the Huskies, and had assumed the drivers seat in the series. There may have been some justification for entertaining such a theory and heaven knows positing another program had discovered a chink in Geno's armor and may have already overtaken UConn would surely attract eyeballs. The problem was that once the hypothesis had been articulated, a proper test was needed to verify it. Such tests never contain a step which collects all data supporting the hypothesis and discards anything that doesn't. Such a step is called cherry picking.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Since hearing the quotes from Muffet ("they ducked us" and "we're playing with a chip") and McBride ("we're always underdogs ...to Connecticut") I've been trying to understand what's going on. The "they ducked us" theme is almost a year old and still isn't accurate. We are continually reminded on ESPN that Notre Dame has defeated UConn 7 out of the last 9 games, yet Notre Dame says it's always in UConn's shadow and always the underdog. Granted, many fans and most of the media were slow to realize how good Notre Dame is this year, but that was understandable given the departure of their leader. The media and fans are now fully on board with the Irish. Notre Dame is a #1 seed, plays the first 2 rounds close to South Bend and is hosting a regional. I know Muffet is not pleased with Baylor as its #2 seed, but all should be good. What's going on? Why all this talk of "chips" and "underdogs" and "payback" and "anger"? It seems like manufactured grievance and disrespect. My only answer is that Muffet learned in last year's Final Four that her team plays better against UConn when it believes it's the underdog and has something to prove. She's stoking the fire.
Well, she is from Philly. I'm waiting for a waiter reference in the next press conference.

Reaction Score
The best part is Notre Dame is one of thirteen teams to be undefeated going into the post season.

Well UCONN was undefeated going into the post season in 95, 97(?), 02, 09, 10, and now again in 14. So.. six of those thirteen times were UCONN. That is almost half. Just another reason why recruits should come to UCONN :)

Reaction Score
The best part is Notre Dame is one of thirteen teams to be undefeated going into the post season.

Well UCONN was undefeated going into the post season in 95, 97(?), 02, 09, 10, and now again in 14. So.. six of those thirteen times were UCONN. That is almost half. Just another reason why recruits should come to UCONN :)

Love the stats.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Cherry picking in the sense that they started with a conclusion then went data shopping to justify that conclusion. Why else include only that part of the 2010-11 season that includes the ND win? Why not include the three UConn wins from that season? They excluded pertinent data because it would have undermined their conclusion rather than bolster it.

Your 90 game win streak doesn't relate to my point because it's a statement of fact, not conclusion. If they'd just stated that ND had won seven of eight you'd have been correct, but they didn't stop with the statement of fact. They used that fact to justify their conclusion which was that somehow ND was inside UConn's head, had taken the measure of the Huskies, and had assumed the drivers seat in the series. There may have been some justification for entertaining such a theory and heaven knows positing another program had discovered a chink in Geno's armor and may have already overtaken UConn would surely attract eyeballs. The problem was that once the hypothesis had been articulated, a proper test was needed to verify it. Such tests never contain a step which collects all data supporting the hypothesis and discards anything that doesn't. Such a step is called cherry picking.

You include that win because it further supports the fact that Notre Dame had the upperhand for 2 full years in the series. They had won 7 of their last 8, including 3 wins in Connecticut and two in the Final Four. Furthermore, Notre Dame DID have UCONNs number (which you stated: I grew so tired of the proclamations that ND had won seven of the last eight against us and thus had our number.)

Saying Notre Dame didn't have UCONN's number is like saying UCONN didn't have Tennessee's number in the early 2000s when UCONN went 8-1 over a 9 game stretch against Tennessee. Can it change? Absolutely. Again, look at UCONN-Tennessee..after Tennessee went 1-8, they went on to win the next three games and gain the upper hand. Just because Notre Dame did have UCONN's number doesn't mean UCONN can't gain the upper hand in the rivalry going forward.

Reaction Score
You include that win because it further supports the fact that Notre Dame had the upperhand for 2 full years in the series. They had won 7 of their last 8, including 3 wins in Connecticut and two in the Final Four. Furthermore, Notre Dame DID have UCONNs number (which you stated: I grew so tired of the proclamations that ND had won seven of the last eight against us and thus had our number.)

Saying Notre Dame didn't have UCONN's number is like saying UCONN didn't have Tennessee's number in the early 2000s when UCONN went 8-1 over a 9 game stretch against Tennessee. Can it change? Absolutely. Again, look at UCONN-Tennessee..after Tennessee went 1-8, they went on to win the next three games and gain the upper hand. Just because Notre Dame did have UCONN's number doesn't mean UCONN can't gain the upper hand in the rivalry going forward.
UConn's 29-11 record against Notre Dame suggests UConn still has the upper hand by any measure, and in this case it's a measure of winning percentage which is .725 in UConn's favor. My guess is that Muffet will be dead before Notre Dame ever has the upper hand in the rivalry (if you can even call such a one-sided series a rivalry).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
And you exclude the other three games the teams played that year because...?

Like I said..you include that win because it further supports the fact that Notre Dame had the upperhand for 2 full years in the series. If you're making a point to show how successful Notre Dame has been against UCONN, you put together numbers that are going to fully emphasize your point. If you feel this is cherry picking, then you can take away that Final Four win and leave it with the fact that Notre Dame has won 6 of their last 8 games against UCONN (spanning over 2 seasons) and Muffett is 3-1 against Geno in the Final Four. Is that cherry picking, too?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
UConn's 29-11 record against Notre Dame suggests UConn still has the upper hand by any measure, and in this case it's a measure of winning percentage which is .725 in UConn's favor. My guess is that Muffet will be dead before Notre Dame ever has the upper hand in the rivalry (if you can even call such a one-sided series a rivalry).

Really? Now it's such a one-sided series that you're questioning if it's even a rivalry to bolster your point? Gimme a break.

Reaction Score
Really? Now it's such a one-sided series that you're questioning if it's even a rivalry to bolster your point? Gimme a break.
They've played each other for 20 years. ND has done well in two of those years and has been smacked around in the other 18. Sorry, that's not really a rivalry to me, especially when the two teams going forward will be lucky to play once a year. Duke-Carolina, that's a basketball rivalry. UConn-ND is a big game the same way 'Bama vs. any good team in CFB is a big game.

Reaction Score
Like I said..you include that win because it further supports the fact that Notre Dame had the upperhand for 2 full years in the series. If you're making a point to show how successful Notre Dame has been against UCONN, you put together numbers that are going to fully emphasize your point. If you feel this is cherry picking, then you can take away that Final Four win and leave it with the fact that Notre Dame has won 6 of their last 8 games against UCONN (spanning over 2 seasons) and Muffett is 3-1 against Geno in the Final Four. Is that cherry picking, too?

As far as National Championships go Geno and Muffett are 1 and 1!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Comparing whole season series is the thing that makes sense since the make up of teams changes year to year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
They've played each other for 20 years. ND has done well in two of those years and has been smacked around in the other 18. Sorry, that's not really a rivalry to me, especially when the two teams going forward will be lucky to play once a year. Duke-Carolina, that's a basketball rivalry. UConn-ND is a big game the same way 'Bama vs. any good team in CFB is a big game.
Comparing whole season series is the thing that makes sense since the make up of teams changes year to year.

If you do that, then Tennessee and UCONN are equal in their rivalry:
UCONN's winning seasons against UT:

Tennessee's winning seasons:

Using this logic, you can even argue that Tennessee has been superior to UCONN since they won the NCAA tournament games in 1996 and 1997 which were more important than the regular season game they lost each year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you do that, then Tennessee and UCONN are equal in their rivalry:
UCONN's winning seasons against UT:

Tennessee's winning seasons:

Using this logic, you can even argue that Tennessee has been superior to UCONN since they won the NCAA tournament games in 1996 and 1997 which were more important than the regular season game they lost each year.

I think that is fair but weighting the tournament games is not anything I was suggesting. I was suggesting that artificially putting a line in the middle of a season when talking about dominance of one team vs another makes little sense. TN's advantage would not be the case if the series had continued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom