"ND tired of being overshadowed by UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"ND tired of being overshadowed by UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
'I think we're always going to be the underdog when it comes to Connecticut. They're such a great powerhouse and have such a great program over there,'' guard Kayla McBride said. ''But I think it's just a bit of extra motivation.''

Which team was considered the underdog in last year's Final Four game?
You're right about that! The talk last year was that the Irish "owned" UConn based on their recent record against them. Didn't happen, did it! In that streak where Notre Dame was quite successful against us, it just seemed game after game UConn found ways to lose which is so uncharacteristic of Geno teams and in that semi-final, they finally got rid of this Irish curse. Halfway through the first half, they just kicked it into another gear and blew out Notre Dame. Actually, this postseason, with the prospect of getting past Baylor, it's possible they don't even make the Final Four!

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Really...sheesh.

It wasn't even close if you looked at the circumstances coming into the game last year.

ND beat Uconn three times.
ND only lost to Baylor, who had been eliminated.

No way ND wasn't the public favorite last year. Excluding many loyal and biased informed fans here who knew Uconn would win.

Fixed it for ya

Reaction Score
You're right about that! The talk last year was that the Irish "owned" UConn based on their recent record against them. Didn't happen, did it! In that streak where Notre Dame was quite successful against us, it just seemed game after game UConn found ways to lose which is so uncharacteristic of Geno teams and in that semi-final, they finally got rid of this Irish curse. Halfway through the first half, they just kicked it into another gear and blew out Notre Dame. Actually, this postseason, with the prospect of getting past Baylor, it's possible they don't even make the Final Four!
More importantly during that 4th meeting last year, Stewie found herself. Would love to see another huge game from her. Do what Geno did w/Maya against Syracuse in 2010 - let her score as many as she wants just because she can to make a statement.

Reaction Score
ND is undefeated this year and that is significant. However, I don't understand why they think they should be ranked higher than the defending national champion who is also undefeated.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
However irksome Muffet's comments may be to some of us, she is merely echoing the motivational tools that Geno used back in the day when UConn was very good but frustrated by the vast attention then showered on Tennessee by a seemingly worshipful media.

Muffet is playing the "underdog card" for all it is worth to motivate her team and stimulate their fans to salivate over the propect of becoming victorious David vs. those big meanies, the UConn Goliath.

Meanwhile, Geno not only has his own well honed motivational techniques, he applies them [now quoting Mark Twain] "with the serene confidence which a Christian feels in four aces."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Guess we better hope to head to the B1G because I don't think ND will be voting for us to join the ACC.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Guess we better hope to head to the B!G because I don't think ND will be voting for us to join the ACC.

. . . or, for that matter, will Duke leap to board the Welcome Wagon.

Reaction Score
. . . or, for that matter, will Duke leap to board the Welcome Wagon.
Forget welcome wagon. We'd have to circle the wagons to protect Uconn from the onslaught of those schools.

Reaction Score
I grew so tired of the proclamations that ND had won seven of the last eight against us and thus had our number. That percentage was data cherry-picking at its finest and as much an artifact of the teams playing an extraordinary number of games in such a short span of time. 12 games in 3 years is just unheard of and no true indicator unchallenged superiority. Yes, ND had won 7 of 8 at one point (even 8 of 9 going into last year's final four) but it was in the space of two years (plus a final four win from the previous year. Go back another two years and what do you get? UConn 8 wins to ND 7. Where's the domination? Where's the evidence they had our number?

Reaction Score
...at this stage of the season, if Notre Dame needs extra motivation to get prepared to play, they have bigger issues than possibly facing UConn down the line...

Reaction Score
The bottom line, ND is very envy of our success. They're pissed off from gotten their arses kicked last year, they thought for sure the trophy was within their reach, but here comes Uconn whipped them good with their super star SD, their dream was shattered. They can't wait for revenge but knowingly they can't, not this year and not for the next two more.
So, since they can't do it on the hardwood therefore coward dose what coward do best is japing at every little chance they've got.

ND has no class and it starts with the coach. I have lose all my respect for her.
So, ND get used to it, we are going to beat you this year, next year and the year after.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
2 things of note for me:

1. ND was the favorite last year! They had already beaten UCONN 3 times.

And

2. Ummmm they missed their chance in 2011 IMO. The Irish should have beaten TAMU.

Reaction Score
During that unhappy 7 losses in 8 games streak, the only evidence of "choking" I saw came from the Huskies, not ND. At the very least, two of those losses never should have occurred. I'd be more concerned about that than about how the Irish are dealing with being in UConn's shadow.

FWIW, I don't think it's at all surprising that they resent being in UConn's shadow. I was ticked in the early days when LV was getting all the media accolades and love. What's wrong with feeling that way?

And regarding the McBride quote: She was giving UConn credit. Pretty classy, I thought, and very far from 'whining.'

I am not only referring to them choking against UConn in 2013 but choking against Baylor in 2012, Texas A&M in 2011, and so on. Oh and by the way last time I checked UConn is 8-0 in National Championship games, doesn't sound like choking to me!

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
ND is tired?
The line starts in Louisville. Get in back.

Reaction Score
I am not only referring to them choking against UConn in 2013 but choking against Baylor in 2012, Texas A&M in 2011, and so on. Oh and by the way last time I checked UConn is 8-0 in National Championship games, doesn't sound like choking to me!

While I recognize that ND is a very good Bball team, I believe their coach made a big mistake on Selection Sunday with her gloating and self-serving remarks about being pretty good at beating Uconn. Note to Coach McGraw, Don't tease the dog! You may (will) regret it! Now, I doubt Geno will reference those remarks, but I'll bet every player will carry those remarks in their heart for the full 40 minutes of that game! (If it happens!) I expect a very special effort from the Huskies if that game actually comes to pass and perhaps Miss Muffet will finally learn to let sleeping dogs lie.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Guess we better hope to head to the B1G because I don't think ND will be voting for us to join the ACC.

Well if they're tired of being over shadowed wouldn't they like to meet us several times a year so they can do something about it? - besides cry. :)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
UConn wah wah wah UConn blah blah blah. No one cares, ND, much like your football program. Win something some time then maybe you'll be out of UConn's shadow. Would love to see Stewie flush one right in front of the ND bench if they should meet.
Rather see her flush 7 or 8!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The bottom line, ND is very envy of our success. They're pissed off from gotten their arses kicked last year, they thought for sure the trophy was within their reach, but here comes Uconn whipped them good with their super star SD, their dream was shattered. They can't wait for revenge but knowingly they can't, not this year and not for the next two more.
So, since they can't do it on the hardwood therefore coward dose what coward do best is japing at every little chance they've got.

ND has no class and it starts with the coach. I have lose all my respect for her.
So, ND get used to it, we are going to beat you this year, next year and the year after.
So, generally, I ignore these posts but between your unnecessary bravado and bad English, I wanted to poke my eyes out.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I dislike the word "choke" or "choking." UConn surely played tight at the end of those 3 losses last year and ND surely played tight in the FF game.

No one said McBride's quote was whining; it's just not accurate. Notre Dame deserved to be the favorite against UConn in last year's Final Four.
Was there an actual line on the game? I would bet Uconn was the favorite in the semi's last year - if you were betting. The way Stewart was playing after us going down in all those close games - without her for the most part. I would be surprised if ND was an actual favorite in that game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you have a lineup like UConn does this season and next season its very hard for me to see them losing. Everything that could go wrong this season has with injuries and sickness and even a little foul trouble and no team can compete with UConn let alone beat them. It aint even close. ND is the best of the rest but if they face UConn it will be a humiliating embarrassment. You wont see the flops if we play ND this season. So long as UConn is healthy UConn will beat everyteam including ND by 20+.

The big build up will be ND UConn in the final or Tenn UConn in the Final or Louisville UConn in another rematch in the Final but in the end it will be UConn winning number 9 in Nashville Tenn and it doesnt get any better then that.

Reaction Score
When you have a lineup like UConn does this season and next season its very hard for me to see them losing. Everything that could go wrong this season has with injuries and sickness and even a little foul trouble and no team can compete with UConn let alone beat them. It aint even close. ND is the best of the rest but if they face UConn it will be a humiliating embarrassment. You wont see the flops if we play ND this season. So long as UConn is healthy UConn will beat everyteam including ND by 20+.

The big build up will be ND UConn in the final or Tenn UConn in the Final or Louisville UConn in another rematch in the Final but in the end it will be UConn winning number 9 in Nashville Tenn and it doesnt get any better then that.
I don't know about next year. Why is everyone so confident? I mean we're losing two All-Americans in Dolson and Hartley. Do we really think the team is going to be better off next year swapping out Dolson and Hartley for Stokes and Chong/Tuck/Banks (assuming Tuck is even available at the start of next season)? Dolson is probably the most versatile center we've ever had, and Hartley is in statistical categories with Moore and Taurasi. That's not going to be easy to replace.

Reaction Score
Well if they're tired of being over shadowed wouldn't they like to meet us several times a year so they can do something about it? - besides cry. :)
They would, but Connecticut dumped them. I know this to be true because I heard it from their coach, and she couldn't say it on TV ESPN if it weren't true.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't know about next year. Why is everyone so confident? I mean we're losing two All-Americans in Dolson and Hartley. Do we really think the team is going to be better off next year swapping out Dolson and Hartley for Stokes and Chong/Tuck/Banks (assuming Tuck is even available at the start of next season)? Dolson is probably the most versatile center we've ever had, and Hartley is in statistical categories with Moore and Taurasi. That's not going to be easy to replace.

All true hoops
but we've got some amazing talent coming in
Perhaps 2, ready to play major minutes.
Kaleena, Stewie and Mo as your all-stars
i wouldn't sweat next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics