NCAA Transfer Rules changing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Transfer Rules changing?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This isnt good at all.

This sport as a whole (I'll always bleed blue though) is almost dead to me anyway. This possibly could be the final nail in the coffin.

If you think the P5 very few elite schools at the top have cornered the market on one and dones and it has hurt the game, just wait until they have the pick of the litter on free transfers. Every season.

And wait until you see the tampering and payola that come out of these scenarios.

The NCAA is taking an existing dumpster fire and pouring more gasoline on it. This will entirely accelerate the end of everyone but the P5.

Why would top players sit on a bench at Duke? I think the exact opposite is going to happen. Seniors aren't just going to transfer to the best available school every year, some kids sure will transfer but no way it'll happen in huge numbers.

Reaction Score
This isnt good at all.

This sport as a whole (I'll always bleed blue though) is almost dead to me anyway. This possibly could be the final nail in the coffin.

If you think the P5 very few elite schools at the top have cornered the market on one and dones and it has hurt the game, just wait until they have the pick of the litter on free transfers. Every season.

And wait until you see the tampering and payola that come out of these scenarios.

The NCAA is taking an existing dumpster fire and pouring more gasoline on it. This will entirely accelerate the end of everyone but the P5.
It almost seems like the NCAA is trying to create a situation where there are about 15 or 20 teams, a huge drop off and after that, everyone else.

At this point might as well add Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Zona and a dozen more and make it the NBA-lite or something.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Why would top players sit on a bench at Duke? I think the exact opposite is going to happen. Seniors aren't just going to transfer to the best available school every year, some kids sure will transfer but no way it'll happen in huge numbers.

Really?

Why do 10 McD's AA's go to Kentucky every year? 1/2 of them are not starting.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
This would be absolutely horrendous for UConn. Literally every decent player other than Wilson would likely leave. Hopefully it doesn’t go into effect next season.

It’s definitely understandable rule, but yikes, it would be doomsday for Ollie.

This change was specifically designed to destroy Uconn men's basketball. It'll last
Long enough to finish off our program and then go back to the old way.

Reaction Score
Well that is only looking at one side. What IF we brought in players that could score and defend? What if there are BETTER players out there than what we currently have?

Unless you think what we currently have is the best that UConn can do, in which case we are screwed for forever.

No matter what, we won't be good next year, so why not be miserable for one more season if that means the end of mediocrity, and that is being kind.
But again I ask, who are these players that are suddenly going to jump at the opportunity to come play for us? We are not a highly desirable program to play for and aren't going to attract some major name coach if KO is fired. A lot of the sentiment here is based on the assumption that we can just unilaterally clean house of coaches and players and suddenly highly-touted new ones will immediately chomp at the bit to come play for New Coach X at a UConn program that has been in the shitter for multiple consecutive years, is in a state of major transition, and in a crappy basketball conference. That's not the case. The best case scenario is shedding some of the dead weight on the current roster (two of whom will be graduating in AA and DO), considering a coaching change, hanging on to as many of the recruits and current valuable players as we have, and rebuild from THAT foundation. As I wrote in another thread, AG, Vital, Akinjo, Wilson, Carlton, Whaley, and potentially Adams and/or Larrier is a solid and balanced foundation to build from. They won't be world beaters, but either with the right (and significant) coaching philosophy adjustments from KO or with a new staff, that group has the potential to be a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Goal:

Have all our mediocre players who don't want to be here transfer
Hire an impressive coach who will bring with him at least (1) awesome junior or senior.
Using our blank slate roster as an asset, have the coach and player recruit other strong juniors and seniors onto a super team.
Win the title, coach gets acclaim, send those guys to the NBA, back to relevance.
Repeat or age up whatever juniors guys didn't leave for NBA and re-fill.

Say Markus Howard and Steve Wojciechowski. He makes 1.2, pay him 3 mil. He can bring Hauser, too. Or T.J. Otzelberger and Mike Daum.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Calhoun never wouldve been able to build the program under these rules.

After 2004 he couldve been on the other side of it and cherry picked kids and it wouldve been great, but this program never wouldve been built initially under this. He needed teams together for 2-3 years to get results. There was always a step ladder like progression with him and his teams.

Any rule change that fails the litmus test of "would this have allowed Jim Calhoun to be Jim Calhoun" is an abhorrent proposition.

Reaction Score
But again I ask, who are these players that are suddenly going to jump at the opportunity to come play for us? We are not a highly desirable program to play for and aren't going to attract some major name coach if KO is fired. A lot of the sentiment here is based on the assumption that we can just unilaterally clean house of coaches and players and suddenly highly-touted new ones will immediately chomp at the bit to come play for New Coach X at a UConn program that has been in the shitter for multiple consecutive years, is in a state of major transition, and in a crappy basketball conference. That's not the case. The best case scenario is shedding some of the dead weight on the current roster (two of whom will be graduating in AA and DO), considering a coaching change, hanging on to as many of the recruits and current valuable players as we have, and rebuild from THAT foundation. As I wrote in another thread, AG, Vital, Akinjo, Wilson, Carlton, Whaley, and potentially Adams and/or Larrier is a solid and balanced foundation to build from. They won't be world beaters, but either with the right (and significant) coaching philosophy adjustments from KO or with a new staff, that group has the potential to be a tournament team.

Kids follow coaches, not programs. If we hire a coach that can actually evaluate talent, he will be able to now recruit two different areas, high school kids, and transfers. Next year will be rough regardless, even if Ollie stays.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I think kids should be allowed to transfer 1 time without penalty. I think the biggest impact would be Seniors transferring to a contender for their final season. It wont be a perfect system but the current one isn't either and I think it is more unfair to the players than it should be.

Can you imagine a coach leaving for a new school and bringing most of his team along with him?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Last year was a record for transfers. This will be a revolving door of poaching. Would the record triple?

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I recall hearing a Charlie Finley (MLB Oakland A's owner) proposal to allow every player to be a free agent each year & allow only 1 year contracts.

The story suggested that the mlb player union reps were against this because there would be hundreds of players fighting for roster spots each year & no long term security.

Under the current system players benefited from long term deals an a shortage of supply. Each year there are on 5-7 top free agents and teams offer long term deals to secure top talent that the can market/sell to their fans. If all the players have freedom of movement each year, they give up job security and the leverage to sell their services for long terms.

If 13 UConn players (or any team) all want to transfer they have to find another spot that is more desirable & wants to take them. Technically players scholarships are year to year agreements, but most schools keep the players for 4 years unless something extreme happens.

Be careful what you ask for, you may receive it.

Reaction Score
I think kids should be allowed to transfer 1 time without penalty. I think the biggest impact would be Seniors transferring to a contender for their final season. It wont be a perfect system but the current one isn't either and I think it is more unfair to the players than it should be.

Can you imagine a coach leaving for a new school and bringing most of his team along with him?
I think a good way to prevent something like that from happening would be to put a cap on transfer players a team is allowed to accept - no more than two transfer players on your team or something like that.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And do you become eligible immediately? So a player could play the first half of the season for one team, and then transfer during the semester holiday break and be eligible immediately at the new school? If that were the case, we wouldn't' have even had a 5 man roster to field a team last year by February.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I think a good way to prevent something like that from happening would be to put a cap on transfer players a team is allowed to accept - no more than two transfer players on your team or something like that.

That seems like a good compromise. That would keep the transfer #s around the current level

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People act like transferring is super easy. Where are these players going to transfer to it isn't like they were highly recruited. The players that would transfer are going to be the 5 star guys sitting on benches with no hope of getting minutes.

The other side is that if a kid like Trae Young doesn't go pro, he's moving to Duke, UK, UNC or KU to go win a NC after his freshman year.

If any marginal program gets an under the radar marquee kid, he's gone to the big boys after blowing up. Top talent will filter to the top. Just now, you won't have the risk of high school kids, you'll have proven college talent changing hands.

One thing I do think will be on the uptick: backdoor recruiting. Programs contacting kids handlers to kick the tires on transferring. UCONN should get ahead of this trend as soon as they can. Recruit every good player from every non marquee team in the country.

I also think the potential money thing is huge. Think about the bucks you could pay to get proven college talent. If a kid doesn't have to sit, there's no need for loyalty. Just go to the highest bidder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The other side is that if a kid like Trae Young doesn't go pro, he's moving to Duke, UK, UNC or KU to go win a NC after his freshman year.

If any marginal program gets an under the radar marquee kid, he's gone to the big boys. Top talent will filter to the top.

One thing I do think will be on the uptick: backdoor recruiting. Programs contacting kids handlers to kick the tires on recruiting. UCONN should get ahead of this trend as soon as they can. Recruit every good player from every non marquee team in the country.

Trae Young already turned down all those schools but I think your point stands broadly.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Trae Young already turned down all those schools but I think your point stands broadly.

Yeah, that was just an example because he's ridiculous. I'm just throwing stuff out there.

I also think it will hurt a lot of kids' development because there's no longer that developmental year upon transfer. Nobody wants to sit. So that will be interesting.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This isnt good at all.

Yep, prove yourself on a mid major minor league team like UCONN and get "brought up" to play for the big boys in P5

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What's going to be crazy is when you have coaching changes. Entire programs will be gutted. Coach leaves, then most if not all team leaves, either to go with the coach or to go somewhere else.

There's major programs that might not be able to field a team some years. Could be crazy.

Don't know if any of that will happen, just that it's now possible.

Again, UCONN has to get ahead of the curve on back channel recruiting. Recruit other schools kids at all times. It's a different ball game.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
What's going to be crazy is when you have coaching changes. Entire programs will be gutted. Coach leaves, then most if not all team leaves, either to go with the coach or to go somewhere else.

There's major programs that might not be able to field a team some years. Could be crazy.

Don't know if any of that will happen, just that it's now possible.

Again, UCONN has to get ahead of the curve on back channel recruiting. Recruit other schools kids at all times. It's a different ball game.

That already happens. The only difference now is the kids wont pay a penalty because the coach left or got fired.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That already happens. The only difference now is the kids wont pay a penalty because the coach left or got fired.

Exactly my point. So there's not reason for anyone to stay.

And a fistful of dollars or promises is much more palatable when there's no penalty.

Has nothing to do with whether a coach leaves or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom