NC State 2021-2022 | The Boneyard

NC State 2021-2022

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Hi all!

I'm back, to support the Wolfpack Women for another WCBB season.

NC State opens its season in spectacular fashion; following an exhibition game on November 3rd, the Pack will host South Carolina in the first official game of the year. NC State won last year's contest in Columbia.

NC State plays a challenging non-conference schedule this season. In addition to South Carolina, the pre-conference slate features Florida, Kansas State, Maryland, Indiana (which eliminated NC State from the NCAAT a year ago), Washington State and Georgia.

In the unbalanced ACC schedule, NC State will face all other conference foes, and will battle North Carolina, Duke, Virginia Tech and Virginia twice. The annual showdown with Louisville will be in Raleigh on Thursday, January 20th and is slated for a national broadcast on ESPN2.

NC State returns all five starters from a year ago and the core players from last year's Sweet 16 team return. The season will start without the services of last year's ACC 6th-man, Jada Boyd, who will miss the first month because of a hand injury. Super-senior Kayla Jones will play limited minutes, still recuperating from surgery to her knee after a bizarre episode in the NCAAT last season when she ran into a chair under the basket when she was going for a rebound. Joining the Wolfpack Women are four freshman, plus a major pickup out of the transfer portal, Diamond Johnson, who transferred from Rutgers.

To say I'm excited about what this season will bring is an understatement. This will be the best team NC State has ever had in WCBB. If the Wolfpack Women will ever win a natty, this will be the year to do it. It seems, though, that most teams will be loaded. Should be an exciting, if not stressful, season for WCBB fans. I wouldn't be surprised to see NC State drop a few games, given the challenging schedule we'll play. But I'd rather see us play tougher teams than dominate against weaker teams.

Reaction Score
Hi all!

I'm back, to support the Wolfpack Women for another WCBB season.

NC State opens its season in spectacular fashion; following an exhibition game on November 3rd, the Pack will host South Carolina in the first official game of the year. NC State won last year's contest in Columbia.

NC State plays a challenging non-conference schedule this season. In addition to South Carolina, the pre-conference slate features Florida, Kansas State, Maryland, Indiana (which eliminated NC State from the NCAAT a year ago), Washington State and Georgia.

In the unbalanced ACC schedule, NC State will face all other conference foes, and will battle North Carolina, Duke, Virginia Tech and Virginia twice. The annual showdown with Louisville will be in Raleigh on Thursday, January 20th and is slated for a national broadcast on ESPN2.

NC State returns all five starters from a year ago and the core players from last year's Sweet 16 team return. The season will start without the services of last year's ACC 6th-man, Jada Boyd, who will miss the first month because of a hand injury. Super-senior Kayla Jones will play limited minutes, still recuperating from surgery to her knee after a bizarre episode in the NCAAT last season when she ran into a chair under the basket when she was going for a rebound. Joining the Wolfpack Women are four freshman, plus a major pickup out of the transfer portal, Diamond Johnson, who transferred from Rutgers.

To say I'm excited about what this season will bring is an understatement. This will be the best team NC State has ever had in WCBB. If the Wolfpack Women will ever win a natty, this will be the year to do it. It seems, though, that most teams will be loaded. Should be an exciting, if not stressful, season for WCBB fans. I wouldn't be surprised to see NC State drop a few games, given the challenging schedule we'll play. But I'd rather see us play tougher teams than dominate against weaker teams.
Great post! Thanks for the analysis. I for one am surprised so few people have NCST mentioned alongside the “Big 3” of UConn, SC, and Stanford. This is one of the more complete teams (top 5) in the country offensively and defensively.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dag about the injuries. Would have liked to see State with a full healthy roster at the beginning of the season. I was gonna say losing Boyd for the SC game really damages their changes to win.. but I remember that she didn't play in the game last year.

Reaction Score
Joining the Wolfpack Women are four freshman, plus a major pickup out of the transfer portal, Diamond Johnson, who transferred from Rutgers.
This is Madison Hayes erasure! ;)

NC State is loaded and primed for an awesome season!

Last edited:

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I'm planning to head to Bloomington on Dec. 2 to watch the NC State @ Indiana rematch of last season's Sweet 16. Should be a great game and can't wait!!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I wish it was a weekend game so I could go, but we're so shorthanded at work, I'm trying to limit my time off. I see the game is at 5, which is oddly early.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wish it was a weekend game so I could go, but we're so shorthanded at work, I'm trying to limit my time off. I see the game is at 5, which is oddly early.

That's an AWFUL time for a weekday game, especially in the Triangle. I'm sure its part of the 24 hour. .. first day of college basketball thing that ESPN does.

Reaction Score
I’m excited to see Jada Boyd and Diamond Johnson
Ditto, along with Jakia Brown-Turner. I am excited to see how Wes Moore works his lineups - he's got a lot of talent and he and his squad have a great opportunity to get over that sweet 16 hump

edited to Jakia, dang auto-correct.......

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Great post! Thanks for the analysis. I for one am surprised so few people have NCST mentioned alongside the “Big 3” of UConn, SC, and Stanford. This is one of the more complete teams (top 5) in the country offensively and defensively.

They currently sit at #4 in my preliminary BY Poll.

Reaction Score
Great post!! Glad to have that NC State representative back to lend some insight on a wonderful program. Love watching them play, especially players like Elissa Cunane, Rania Perez, and Jakia Brown-Turner. I am more of a Big East/UConn, Big Ten, Pac 12 (USC fan), and West Coast Conference (Gonzaga fan) game watcher but I will tune in as much as possible to watch some ACC games. Again. great post and looking forward to watching some NC State WBB this season.

Reaction Score
That NCState Gamecocks game will be huge. Cant wait to see how much both teams have evolved over the summer.

Reaction Score
I think NC State will be a tough out for any team this year—and they would have gone deeper in the tourney if it weren’t for an injury. They did beat South Carolina last year, so the potential is there. They also haven’t lost to South Carolina since 2010, although there’s only been two meetings since then. One can hope that the streak continues for the Wolfpack.

The continued development of Elissa Cunane will be a big indicator of how far this team can go.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
NC State will be extremely tough and seasoned. All the talk seems to be about SC, UConn and Stanford (not without reason), and part of the reason NC State is seemingly under the radar is their underperformance in the 2021 tournament (where injury was a factor). But they're to be underestimated at one's peril.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NC State will be extremely tough and seasoned. All the talk seems to be about SC, UConn and Stanford (not without reason), and part of the reason NC State is seemingly under the radar is their underperformance in the 2021 tournament (where injury was a factor). But they're to be underestimated at one's peril.
I think they have a shot at winning it all and are maybe a 50-50 Final Four Team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier .... Greensboro is hosting a regional... you know State wants to go to Greensboro... as well as Lower Carolina.... its easy to envision both of them being there. Would State rather be a #1 in Wichita... or a #2 in Greensboro with SC as the #1?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier .... Greensboro is hosting a regional... you know State wants to go to Greensboro... as well as Lower Carolina.... its easy to envision both of them being there. Would State rather be a #1 in Wichita... or a #2 in Greensboro with SC as the #1?

This is an interesting proposition. You’d have to think that whoever wins the head to head would have the inside track to Greensboro.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm sure they'd rather be close to home.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State hosted its only exhibition game of the season Wednesday evening, defeating UNC-Pembroke, 92-36.

Rutgers transfer Diamond Johnson was the leading scorer with 18 points on 7 of 12 shooting, including 2 of 5 from THREE, in less than 17 minutes of action. Elissa Cunane (11), Genesis Bryant (12) and Camille Hobby (12) were the other double-digit scorers for the Wolfpack Women.

NC State/UNC-Pembroke Recap

Up next: The season opener, against top-ranked South Carolina, next Tuesday at 5 pm on ESPN.

Reaction Score
I think NCST could very possibly win its opening game against the Gamecocks although the absences of Jones and Boyd probably tilt the scales more heavily in favor of SC. Cunane is by herself in the frontcourt and SC has Cardoso.

I think State’s more established rotation might have better chemistry, though. Should be an outstanding game!

Reaction Score
I think NCST could very possibly win its opening game against the Gamecocks although the absences of Jones and Boyd probably tilt the scales more heavily in favor of SC. Cunane is by herself in the frontcourt and SC has Cardoso.

I think State’s more established rotation might have better chemistry, though. Should be an outstanding game!
I'm looking forward to seeing how they match up. With Cardoso in a different offense with SC compared to last season, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom