NBA playoffs | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NBA playoffs

Reaction Score
Achiuwa is not bad and has done a lot better with the Knicks than for the Raptors.

Some double doubles and quite a serviceable replacement.
That’s true Precious has defended and rebounded very well but it is a man down, Jericho Sims is that 3rd big now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Do you really want Tatum being the alpha and expected to deliver in the 4th quarter? We've seen how that goes.

Celtics may have a better chance this season because he's not expected to do those things now.

That was my point (?)

My other point was that nobody has won a title in 20 years without an alpha. This team is deep enough to do it but at the same time it would be nice to know we can count on him in clutch situations given that his teammates may well defer to him in those moments.

Reaction Score
That was my point (?)

My other point was that nobody has won a title in 20 years without an alpha. This team is deep enough to do it but at the same time it would be nice to know we can count on him in clutch situations given that his teammates may well defer to him in those moments.
They have a lot of experience together which should benefit them but if they go back to Tatum trying to be the guy in fourth quarters I don't see them winning it all. He's yet to show he's that guy. They're getting an incredibly easy path to the finals but they will need to rely on their excellent ball movement there if they want to win it all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brunson out now with sore foot... Knicks can't buy a break injury-wise.

Reaction Score
These Knicks playoff games have been incredible theater, they're probably taking a season off their careers playing these many minutes at max intensity but its entertaining

Reaction Score
The Nova Knicks might be the toughest team I've ever seen. The three Nova guys are under 6'4 and they make every big play. The team was 7 deep coming into tonight and they didn't have Brunson for the first half and no OG for the second half. They have one tall guy in Hartenstein.

It's insane what they're doing.

Reaction Score
Villanova is blowing it so badly with Kyle Neptune. They have three dudes playing on the same team at the Garden night after night dominating and they're not even going to capatilze on it because of Neptune.

Reaction Score
Barkley preaching, if Precious could play that well tonight then he should have been playing more before this. Thibs hasn't learned anything from his Chicago stint, guy ran Luol Deng into the ground playing him crazy minutes.

Reaction Score
Another ridiculous win but man the OG injury is so deflating. Given that it wasn't a cramp I assume he's going to miss some time.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
As a Knicks fan the OG injury kind of ended my excitement. He is such a versatile player. If I could choose between Randle and OG it would OG all day. I will say this. If they can keep this roster together and add one more piece that can contribute they could contend next year.

Although even if Thibs had 10 all stars he might only still play seven or eight players, it’s just how he is and the outcome is all the same injuries to the players.

With OG out they might be somewhat competitive in Indiana but they will lose two games and probably one more player. As usual the war of attrition catches up to teams Thibs coaches. He is a few years older than me but I actually played in a few pick up games with him while he was in high school. He played the way he coaches just left it all out there, even in a pick up game as probably the best player on the court he was diving all over the court.

As a fan of the Knicks I kind of have a love/hate relationship with him as a coach. Everyone knows injury risk goes up with fatigue. But even without the fatigue the odds catch up to you from a mathematical standpoint when you have players on the court consistently playing over 42 minutes. Is not and never will be sustainable. Especially in the playoffs when these guys start actually playing defense and put a product on the floor that resembles competitive basketball.

I do not watch regular season nba basketball as I believe it is not something that is worth wasting your time watching. I think they should consider shortening the season and modifying the playoffs or any idea that would infuse a sense of urgency into the games that are played during the regular season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was my point (?)

Just because they have 2-3 “alpha” players that have learned to share the ball doesn’t mean they don’t have one. You‘d think UConn fans would understand that. I don’t agree with the “nobody has won a title in 20 years…“ line. Tatum can certainly take over a game, so can Brown and even White, but the team is better when he doesn’t have to.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Just because they have 2-3 “alpha” players that have learned to share the ball doesn’t mean they don’t have one. You‘d think UConn fans would understand that. I don’t agree with the “nobody has won a title in 20 years…“ line. Tatum can certainly take over a game, so can Brown and even White, but the team is better when he doesn’t have to.

The Celtics do not have a guy who has proven he can take over a game in clutch playoff situations. That's a fact.

It's also a fact that Rip Hamilton played for the last team who won a title without a guy like that.

I didn't say the Celtics can't win; they're the favorites for a reason. What I said was it's concerning that we can't rely on Tatum to put the team on its back if we need him to. Hopefully we go the UConn route and just demolish everyone. Or maybe they move the ball and find the open guy in those situations, but that's easier said than done in the playoffs. Tatum will have lots of isos in clutch situations.

Not even sure what you're arguing with. Yeah we have a lot of guys who can score. No, none of them has proven he can consistently do it in the playoffs when it counts, or else these guys would already have a ring. This is by far their deepest team, particular with Porzingis back, so they can probably get past it.

And I don't think UConn had an alpha as I'm describing it. (Think Ray, Donyell,
RIp, Caron.) They just didn't need one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We could have a Boston-NY ECF matchup in NBA and NHL. It’s amazing how similar the Celtics and Rangers are too each other. Overwhelming favorites, their seasons are a failure if they don’t win it all.

Celtics might have to go the UConn route, Rangers on the other hand are comfortable in close games but could dominate a team. Granted it’s hockey so games will be closer. The Canes are a very good team and it’s crazy how much better the Rangers look, still gotta end the series though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Celtics do not have a guy who has proven he can take over a game in clutch playoff situations. That's a fact.

It's also a fact that Rip Hamilton played for the last team who won a title without a guy like that.

I didn't say the Celtics can't win; they're the favorites for a reason. What I said was it's concerning that we can't rely on Tatum to put the team on its back if we need him to. Hopefully we go the UConn route and just demolish everyone. Or maybe they move the ball and find the open guy in those situations, but that's easier said than done in the playoffs. Tatum will have lots of isos in clutch situations.

Not even sure what you're arguing with. Yeah we have a lot of guys who can score. No, none of them has proven he can consistently do it in the playoffs when it counts, or else these guys would already have a ring. This is by far their deepest team, particular with Porzingis back, so they can probably get past it.

Neither of those are facts. They are just your opinion. Tatum has absolutely taken over games in the playoffs (as has Brown). He had a 50 point game in a key win vs the Nets in 2021. He's dominated multiple different playoff games in his career. He had a triple double a few games ago.

Until last year, Jokic hadn't led his team to a title either. At some point neither had MJ or LeBron or Steph Curry or Durant or Tim Duncan. The last team to win a title without a dominant offensive talent was Toronto. But it shouldn't be surprising that teams without good players don't win NBA titles. This whole "alpha" concept is silly. It's a misguided throwback to the Jordan era. Look at the GS titles and you'll see that Curry, Green, Durant led them in scoring in different series.

For every time some supposed "alpha" took over a game there's another time when they tried, missed a ton of shots and their team lost. You don't want a guy doing that, ever. It's crappy basketball. It's what Tatum (and Brown) did when he was younger. He has matured and realized that approach doesn't lead to winning.

Reaction Score

Game 6 on the road vs the defending champs, down 3-2 and facing elimination

Reaction Score
Shaq is a real turd for this

Everything he said about stat stuffer is complete made up bull. Jokic is top 10 in everything. They had the same record and then Shaq once again weirdly makes it all about himself saying he was the baddest mofo in the league and kept getting robbed 20+ years ago

Reaction Score
Neither of those are facts. They are just your opinion. Tatum has absolutely taken over games in the playoffs (as has Brown). He had a 50 point game in a key win vs the Nets in 2021. He's dominated multiple different playoff games in his career. He had a triple double a few games ago.

Until last year, Jokic hadn't led his team to a title either. At some point neither had MJ or LeBron or Steph Curry or Durant or Tim Duncan. The last team to win a title without a dominant offensive talent was Toronto. But it shouldn't be surprising that teams without good players don't win NBA titles. This whole "alpha" concept is silly. It's a misguided throwback to the Jordan era. Look at the GS titles and you'll see that Curry, Green, Durant led them in scoring in different series.

For every time some supposed "alpha" took over a game there's another time when they tried, missed a ton of shots and their team lost. You don't want a guy doing that, ever. It's crappy basketball. It's what Tatum (and Brown) did when he was younger. He has matured and realized that approach doesn't lead to winning.
Jokic had a backcourt of Campazzo and Austin Rivers and he's still yet to play with an all-star. Putting Tatum's name in their with Jordan, Lebron, Jokic, Curry is ridiculous.

Tatum overall has been terrible in 4th quarters of playoff games.

Reaction Score

Everything he said about stat stuffer is complete made up bull. Jokic is top 10 in everything. They had the same record and then Shaq once again weirdly makes it all about himself saying he was the baddest mofo in the league and kept getting robbed 20+ years ago

Really like how cool and good to people Shaq is in public and his persona in general, but he really is the definition of a hating old head in terms of modern players.

Reaction Score
Really like how cool and good to people Shaq is in public and his persona in general, but he really is the definition of a hating old head in terms of modern players.
I just don't understand why he would take away from Jokic's moment like that. It's fine if he thinks someone else deserves it but he threw a mini tantrum in the studio and made it all about himself. Even mild mannered Ernie wasn't having it. Then to have Jokic on to congratulate him and Shaq tells him he didn't think he deserves the award is disrespectful.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why he would take away from Jokic's moment like that. It's fine if he thinks someone else deserves it but he threw a mini tantrum in the studio and made it all about himself. Even mild mannered Ernie wasn't having it. Then to have Jokic on to congratulate him and Shaq tells him he didn't think he deserves the award is disrespectful.
Just unnecessary

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
For a superstar, he sure is crappy in A LOT of playoff games. Fortunately for him, and Celtics fans, the team is loaded.

Apart from the fact that the Celtics have some superstars, they remind me a lot of UConn -- great on both ends of the floor, Hydra-like offensively, and deep.
True, I don’t think they have the talent advantage that we did to get away with playing that style of offense in a seven game series built around 3 point shooting. We’ll see how it works for them though as the Knicks may come into the ECF like this:
IMG_4934.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Yeah he had no business taking away from Jokic’s moment like this. Really unecessary.

There is a conversation to be had behind the voting changes that have taken place for Jokic to win 3 MVPs over the course of this time. It’s unusual based on how they usually vote for the award.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom