Musical Acts At UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Musical Acts At UConn

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about Max Creek at the ROTC beer fests.
I remember late one spring session and Max Creek was playing the South Quad for some reason.

Reaction Score
Saw GG Allin in at a bar in Willimantic around 89/90. He had some good punk albums and they were plugging the show on the radio station.

But it was all antics, and zero music. He was begging for drugs, and bragging how he would take anything. He had a dead cat on stage that he was pretending to have sex with.

I left when he started throwing bottles into the crowd.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember late one spring session and Max Creek was playing the South Quad for some reason.
Spring Weekend (AKA South Campus Weekend). That was a good show.

Reaction Score
Didn’t Public Bring the noise to UConn
internet is saying 1991. If memory serves—and google is reliable —-they had to move the start time bc they were on SNL later that night with Michael Jordan hosting
Can anyone confirm or deny.

I was there and that is correct - concert was moved to the afternoon so they could be on SNL. Also, because of the time move I went from that show to Boston that evening to see the Pogues with Joe Strummer.

Reaction Score
No reason whatsoever to have to make apologies for seeing Tears for Fears. I was supposed to see them at Live Aid but they pulled out at the last minute for some reason I don't recall. Granted, they were far from the reason I was there, but you couldn't live through the 80s and the birth of MTV without an indelible impression of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and "Shout."
We had a hippy dippy English teacher for junior year of high school and my friend did "Shout" for his his big poem. He started off normally then broke into histrionics and was basically singing it towards the end. The teacher didn't know what was going on.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall WSOU 89.5 FM is broadcasting the '5 months alone' festival thru Sunday. Great heavy metal! Great cure for 5 months of lock-down.

Reaction Score
The 1974 free concert near the old hockey rink with Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, Fairport convention, and Fat Back. Fairport convention was the headliner, Springsteen and Aerosmith were just starting out. I checked about 5 years ago and at that time all four bands were still performing. Fairport convention was still very big in the UK and Fat Back was still regionally popular in New Orleans.
The day was great, weather in the 80's in April and the Springsteen and Aerosmith performances were incredible.
Free hot dogs and kegs all over that day.
In his book, Bruce cites walking on a street in CT the weekend of that concert. It was the first time he heard his own music on the radio and he knew he'd made it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I know I saw Gil-Scott Heron on campus, probably '77. I think it was in the student union of all places.

Reaction Score
Fleetwood Mac was at the Field House, not Jorgensen. They opened for Renaissance. Also can't forget Shaboo - Edgar and Johnny Winter, Elvin Bishop, BB King, James Cotton, Steppenwolf and many more - that place was awesome - fire trap but awesome.

I was at the Kinks and Jean Luc Ponty show as well in 1977. It was a pretty odd combo but I enjoyed Jean Luc and really enjoyed the Kinks. The only other show I remember was Jaspar Wrath in the quad prior to classes beginning in 1976. They were pretty big in the area at the time with the song "You".

Shaboo was one of my favorite places. I saw all the acts that you mentioned as well as Dave Mason, Pure Praire League and Todd Rundgren. I think U2 played there as well but I missed that show. I also saw Muddy Waters, NRBQ, The Fabulous Rhinestones, Derringer and others. Also saw local acts such as Little Village and Fountainhead. We always caught James Cotton shouting out Mr. Cotton as he played his harp.

One night I was in the big hilly parking lot and a guy asked me if I had a tire iron since he locked his keys in his car. He proceeded to break the rear window to get in. I wondered afterward if it was his car.

The place was a fire trap and you easily tripped on the floor since it was not the same level everywhere. I saw a few of the reunion shows in Willimantic as well with Rick Derringer, Marshall Tucker, Jonathon Edwards and the Mohegan All Stars. Desiree Bassett, the young guitarist (at the time) from CT sat in with Marshall Tucker and blew them away.

My first two concerts were at the Waterbury Palace in 1974. Steely Dan and the Jug Band followed a week later by Queen and Mott the Hoople. Tickets were around $6.50. Eye opening experience for a young kid.

Reaction Score
Jean Luc-Ponty opening for The Kinks at the Jorgensen in 1976 is still one of the most unusual double billings I've ever seen. Ray thought he was in Hartford. This was right after The Kinks signed with Arista after releasing a half dozen poor-selling concept albums (although "Schoolboys" was the most recent and was actually pretty a pretty good rocker). The Jorg wasn't even sold out that night. Two years later they were selling out arenas.

Didn't Styx play at that show before the Kinks? Ponty was first. The crowd was not into Styx and were rude and the band was pissed. Little did we know Mr Roboto was was in the future along with Too much Time on my Hands.

Reaction Score
I was at the Kinks and Jean Luc Ponty show as well in 1977. It was a pretty odd combo but I enjoyed Jean Luc and really enjoyed the Kinks. The only other show I remember was Jaspar Wrath in the quad prior to classes beginning in 1976. They were pretty big in the area at the time with the song "You".

Shaboo was one of my favorite places. I saw all the acts that you mentioned as well as Dave Mason, Pure Praire League and Todd Rundgren. I think U2 played there as well but I missed that show. I also saw Muddy Waters, NRBQ, The Fabulous Rhinestones, Derringer and others. Also saw local acts such as Little Village and Fountainhead. We always caught James Cotton shouting out Mr. Cotton as he played his harp.

One night I was in the big hilly parking lot and a guy asked me if I had a tire iron since he locked his keys in his car. He proceeded to break the rear window to get in. I wondered afterward if it was his car.

The place was a fire trap and you easily tripped on the floor since it was not the same level everywhere. I saw a few of the reunion shows in Willimantic as well with Rick Derringer, Marshall Tucker, Jonathon Edwards and the Mohegan All Stars. Desiree Bassett, the young guitarist (at the time) from CT sat in with Marshall Tucker and blew them away.

My first two concerts were at the Waterbury Palace in 1974. Steely Dan and the Jug Band followed a week later by Queen and Mott the Hoople. Tickets were around $6.50. Eye opening experience for a young kid.

I do not think U2 played at Shaboo. I saw them at Woolsey Hall at Yale in the early 80's with Bono walking on the railing of the balconey of the upper level about 10 feet from us. It was nuts. The Cars played at Shaboo but I missed them. Saw Lou Reed, NRBQ a few times and the Goodrats which were a hoot. Caught Pure Prarie League and Dave Mason at Shaboo as well. My first concert was The Gratefull Dead at Dillon Stadium on a blazing hot afternoon. Saw Bruce first as an opening act for Mountain at Univ. of Hartford. He had a lot of energy but remember the Big Man and his sax. I had no knowledge of his music was too young to realize what I was seeing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Didn't Styx play at that show before the Kinks? Ponty was first. The crowd was not into Styx and were rude and the band was pissed. Little did we know Mr Roboto was was in the future along with Too much Time on my Hands.

No Styx. I still have the Daily Campus review of the show which i posted last year.

Reaction Score
I do not think U2 played at Shaboo. I saw them at Woolsey Hall at Yale in the early 80's with Bono walking on the railing of the balconey of the upper level about 10 feet from us. It was nuts. The Cars played at Shaboo but I missed them. Saw Lou Reed, NRBQ a few times and the Goodrats which were a hoot. Caught Pure Prarie League and Dave Mason at Shaboo as well. My first concert was The Gratefull Dead at Dillon Stadium on a blazing hot afternoon. Saw Bruce first as an opening act for Mountain at Univ. of Hartford. He had a lot of energy but remember the Big Man and his sax. I had no knowledge of his music was too young to realize what I was seeing.
Saw most of those - knew The Good Rats from New York - gad seen them there before UConn. Also saw Aztec Two Step many times. Went to Shaboo as often as we could.M - didn't care who was playing

Reaction Score
hard to describe to the uninitiated - a vestige of the 18y.o. drinking age, often run by student orgs. as a fundraiser......
Yep....Fall of 1981... local guitar heroes Fountainhead at the ROTC hangar. I had never seen so many kegs.
Fountainhead is still one of the best CT bands ever. Opened for anybody and everybody when they played CT...MTB, Allmans, Skynyrd...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

all setlists for Shaboo, 1971-82, available at The Shaboo Inn, Willimantic, CT, USA Concert Setlists | setlist.fm

The Cars, 6/29/78

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I also remember the package store on 195 delivering kegs to the dorms. Different times for sure.

I missed that by a couple of years but the upperclassmen in my floor also purported you could pay by check for $10-$20 more than the order price and get the balance in cash. Probably spent at Teds, Huskies or :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I missed that by a couple of years but the upperclassmen in my flirt also purported you could pay by check for $10-$20 more than the order price and get the balance in cash. Probably spent at Teds, Huskies or :cool:
Yes you could - made my Callender Friday afternoon for my wine and beer. They even knew my form and room number when I gave them my name.

Reaction Score

You are correct about U2. A friend of mine told me she danced with Bono but that was at Stage West aka Agora aka Columbia Music Hall in West Hartford. I did see Men at Work at the Agora in the early eighties which was pretty cool. I also saw Talking Heads and The Tubes there as well as Nantucket and others. Speaking of Woolsey Hall, I saw the band Asia when they just started. Palmer was incredible on the drums and drove the woman as I was with crazy with his biceps

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep....Fall of 1981... local guitar heroes Fountainhead at the ROTC hangar. I had never seen so many kegs.
Fountainhead is still one of the best CT bands ever. Opened for anybody and everybody when they played CT...MTB, Allmans, Skynyrd...
RIP Kenny. He died a couple years ago. He was a Senior Vice President at Merrill Lynch after the peak years of the band. Always a good time watching Kenny, John on guitar and the rest of the band at long gone places such as Brandys, The Brave Bull, Davids, Gatsbys, Shaboo and Boneys. The band was close to hitting it big. I think they drew over 30K at Bushnell Park in the early eighties.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dave and Tim w/ John Popper stopping in for a few songs in the encore
Fugees
Wyclef
Busta
Billy Joel
Violent Femmes
Ben Folds at Husky Blues
George Clinton and the PFunk
Notorious BIG

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Saw these shows at UCONN.
Also caught a poetry reading by Allen Ginsberg while I was there.

1592849310567.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom