Musical Acts At UConn | The Boneyard

Musical Acts At UConn

Reaction Score
The piano player thread got me thinking about how many musical acts I saw on or around the UConn campus. Here are some that I remember:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Marshall Crenshaw
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers
The Ramones
Modern English
Fred Wesley
Jefferson Starship
The SOS Band
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch.

Reaction Score
Great thread idea, @Huskybass

Was at school between 04-08 and saw:

* John Scofield Trio
* Busta Rhymes
* Roy Hargrove
* The Roots
* Dave Holland Quartet
* Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
* Fiery Furnaces
* Do Make Say Think

I addition to the ones above, I wrote for the Daily Campus between 2006 and 2007 and I got a lot of the arts/music stories that the other writers didn't want. Was a great opportunity to see a bunch of great shows at the Jorgensen that I would have never have seen on my own.

Was also fortunate to take a jazz history course with Kenny Davis. He was the former Tonight Show bassist and toured with Herbie Hancock, Art Farmer and was a studio bassist for a tons others. Just me and him, basically a private tutoring session on jazz history and got to play bass with him a bit. No idea how that class wasn't canceled with just one student enrolled. What an opportunity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The piano player thread got me thinking about how many musical acts I saw on or around the UConn campus. Here are some that I remember:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Marshall Crenshaw
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers
The Ramones
Modern English
Fred Wesley
Jefferson Starship
The SOS Band
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch.
Eddie Money 1982

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Ben Folds was great. I think Matt Nathanson played Jorgensen as well around the “Beneath These Fireworks” era. Muse played an MTVU event before they really got big, which was a fun show.

Reaction Score
Couple off the top of my head:
-Anthrax & Primus at Gampel was a great show
-Living Colour on the old football field was amazing
-Prong at the ROTC building...was a lively show with great mosh pit/loads of stage diving

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ok, ancient history, but when I was there, Peter Paul and Mary were the fastest sell out in Jorgensen history. Also saw Wilson Pickett, Johnny Mathis, Ella Fitzgerald, the Four Tops, folk music legends The Weavers and Odetta, The Association and New Christy Minstrels. All super hot acts at the time.

Reaction Score
February 1982.... J. Geils Band at Jorgensen. Magic Dick hitting and holding that high harmonica note at the end of "Whammer Jammer" and everybody having to cover their ears. :D

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Ramones
The SOS Band
Those two were on the same bill. Still shaking my head at that one.

I can add Little River Band and America to the list. They didn't rock but they could both really sing.

Reaction Score
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Spring Weekend '88
Robert Palmer - Jorgensen Fall '88
Little Feat - Spring Weekend '89
Living Colour - Spring Weekend '91

Here's a list of all the acts that played at UCONN since 1955.
I believe Little Feat was a triple bill w Modern English and Cheap Trick. That didn't suck.

Reaction Score
50 Cent in 2003 Spring Weekend if my memory is accurate. I was in high school at the time but went to Spring Weekend anyway like hundreds of other high-schoolers. Spring Weekend was so wild back then. I heard it barely exists anymore.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Brooklyn Bridge
Tom & Jerry AKA Simon & Garfunkel
Judy Collins

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I started at UConn in 1984 and remember hearing stories of Springsteen having played on the blacktop behind McMahon sometime in the 70s or early 80s. I was hoping I would see someone mention that here. Anyone ever hear of or see that?

Reaction Score
Either Fall move-in time of '08 or '09 I saw Rise Against do a free outdoor show. Hadn't seen them play anywhere other than Chicago where they are from.

Of course, I was not moving in ... My daughter Emily was and I stayed for the show. Somewhere I have a pic of her with Tom in Houston for #3....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom