Music lovers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Music lovers

Reaction Score
I saw the special on a dvd. I think Linda's still a teenager when she sings this song at the club. The music reviewer said she came out with a "BANG!" I would agree. Great poise and confidence.
I saw Linda at the LA Amphitheater in the early 80's. Great show. A couple years ago I went to see her at an event in Phoenix where she was promoting her book. She didn't really give a "talk" - she said that was too difficult with her physical problems. She had an interviewer ask her pre-arranged questions. But she did take questions from the audience and was very cool about that - it was a semi-local audience for her, as she is from Tucson, right down the road.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wikipedia credits Mr Lewis with 16 song writing or co-writing efforts. :)
Huey did a karaoke movie with Gwyneth Paltrow where I assume his karaoke talents were on full display. I couldn't say for sure though, I wouldn't watch it at gunpoint.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting, I had never seen that. Agree with your observations on Ronstadt. I could not help but think that the band probably did not play on the record, which was not in the least bit unusual. Session players, almost studio bands if you will, like LA’s Wrecking Crew, were the players on an unbelievable number of 45 hits from the 60s and 70s. Great insight into that world available on The Beach Boys, really Brian Wilson, making of Pet Sounds.

The Stone Poneys were only a threesome. Linda and two guys (Bobby Kimmel and Kenny Edwards, who was a longtime studio musician himself), who only played guitars, and one the sitar on the absolutely beautiful two-part Evergreen. So for things like drums, bass, and keys (including a harpsichord on Different Drum), they had studio musicians. Most of the cuts were much more sparsely arranged.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Huey Lewis co-wrote quite a few of his hits. ???
Totally unrelated to the thread, but related to Huey Lewis: Bob Goldthwait did an hour long special on HBO, probably in the late 80's. In it, he says, "It used to be that if you saw someone with long hair and sun glasses on, you might think 'Is that a rock star?' The other day I saw Huey Lewis walking down the street and I thought 'Is that a friend of my father's?'"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have a pair of related personal anecdotes of how I experienced Linda Ronstadt's music.

When I was 16 in the late 80s, I got a job as a busboy in a Mexican restaurant. Shortly into my time there, a coworker of mine, somewhat randomly, gave me a cassette tape of her music titled "A Retrospective." It included her greatest hits -- and I was certainly familiar with most of those -- but it also included a number of obscure gems, such as "Louise" and "Faithless Love," which I quickly fell in love with. I wore the heck out of that cassette until it broke.

This also just happened to be soon after Linda had released her first album of ranchera and mariachi songs, titled "Canciones de mi padre". And at the same restaurant where I worked, quite a few of my coworkers (immigrants from Mexico) were completely bonkers for these songs. They had the cassette and played them (and sang along) again and again. Linda didn't actually speak Spanish well, but her vocal technique and resonance was so exquisite that it all but concealed any flaws in pronunciation.

This is my personal favorite song from that album, and here she performs it live, with Daniel Valdez, on a famous Mexican variety show (Siempre en domingo):

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
2 Comments -

At the University of Arizona Softball games, there are 2 tunes from her "Canciones de mi padre" that are played at the beginning of games - one while the Arizona pitcher is warming up for the first inning and one while the opposing pitcher is warming up in the 2nd half of the first. They are very specific tracks, and actually reversed if, during an NCAA game, Arizona is the "away" team. The announcer also says "juegen pelota" (not sure on the spelling) instead of "play ball"; although the NCAA doesn't care for that during the tourney.

And -

We go many Monday night concerts to the local Gaslight Theater (they do melodramas normally, but Monday is concert night). Many of the concerts are tribute shows, and one of the local bands - aptly named the Tributaries - does, among other things, a Linda Ronstadt tribute. This features Linda's niece, Mindy - she also appears in other shows, her Grace Slick in the Woodstock tribute (White Rabbit) is superb. Mindy of course also shares stories of growing up as a Ronstadt, especially singing (as a "little" kid) about "weed, whites and wine". One of the guitarists had to explain whites to the audience.

A few years back the family band appeared one night, the band leader, I think he was a nephew, subsequently died unexpectedly of cancer. They are still around, they play a local bar, but we have never gone.

Reaction Score
...busboy in a Mexican restaurant. Shortly into my time there, a coworker of mine, somewhat randomly, gave me a cassette tape of her music titled "A Retrospective." It included her greatest hits -- and I was certainly familiar with most of those -- but it also included a number of obscure gems, such as "Louise" and "Faithless Love," which I quickly fell in love with. I wore the heck out of that cassette until it broke.

This also just happened to be soon after Linda had released her first album of ranchera and mariachi songs, titled "Canciones de mi padre". And at the same restaurant where I worked, quite a few of my coworkers (immigrants from Mexico) were completely bonkers for these songs. They had the cassette and played them (and sang along) again and again. Linda didn't actually speak Spanish well, but her vocal technique and resonance was so exquisite that it all but concealed any flaws in pronunciation.

This is my personal favorite song from that album, and here she performs it live, with Daniel Valdez, on a famous Mexican variety show (Siempre en domingo):

I thought Faithless Love WAS one of her greatest hits. Guess it was in my mind. I could play it over and over.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I thought Faithless Love WAS one of her greatest hits. Guess it was in my mind. I could play it over and over.
Faithless Love is one of her most loved songs. It was written by J.D. Souther with whom Linda had both a romantic relationship and a collaborative one. He wrote it and she recorded it first. J.D. also recorded a version a few years later. His voice is great, and his career includes working with Linda, James Taylor, The Eagles, Ry Cooder, Richie Furay, and many others. His harmonies with James Taylor on "Her Town Too" are recognized as some of the best ever done. And his song writing credits are legendary.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha well go figure. See I thought it was an obscure gem because I wasn't familiar with it until that time. I stand corrected.

Plebe

Reaction Score
1578582635992.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member