most overrated team in the country? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

most overrated team in the country?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
they had a player play 29 minutes and score 0 points. They got 2 pts from the 4th player, that is horrible.
Do you not grasp that this team was on a Covid hiatus and didn’t practice for 2 weeks? Timing and conditioning are everything in basketball. To make “final judgements” based on this game is ludicrous as either you didn’t see any of their games before the lockdown or you have never started and then abruptly stopped any Athletic effort to start back up and expect to be at that same level of play that had 7 weeks of practice?
I mean, come on, show some logic if you want us to actually listen.

Reaction Score
Do you not grasp that this team was on a Covid hiatus and didn’t practice for 2 weeks? Timing and conditioning are everything in basketball. To make “final judgements” based on this game is ludicrous as either you didn’t see any of their games before the lockdown or you have never started and then abruptly stopped any Athletic effort to start back up and expect to be at that same level of play that had 7 weeks of practice?
I mean, come on, show some logic if you want us to actually listen.
didn't ask for your opinion move along

Reaction Score
Well, that's snarky!

But, I guess snark is ALWAYS APPRECIATED.
not when someone is being rude for no reason. Iowa coulda had played last week and the result would not matter imo. Like many have said, they are dependent on one player. When she isn't her best, the team falters. I hope this doesn't end up being like Delle Donne when she had nobody around her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
not when someone is being rude for no reason. Iowa coulda had played last week and the result would not matter imo. Like many have said, they are dependent on one player. When she isn't her best, the team falters. I hope this doesn't end up being like Delle Donne when she had nobody around her.
As you are new here, and we all were knew at one time, what you will find is this board is highly intelligent and logical on WCBB. When posters show a lack of logic or courtesy on topics, those irregularities will be pointed out. As you have posted quite a few "irregularities on views" like Overrated team or in this case a covid hiatus and seem unwilling to admit or own those comments without giving support (Iowa was 4-0 and I watched 3 of those games and they had their whole team return plus a good transfer from last years strong run) I do interject. Don't worry you can still have your opinion but not many posters will support that opinion if you can't back up the reasoning.
Last, I am not trying to be rude so I apologize if you feel that way. Just be aware that your own posts can come across as far too aggressive so pushback might be of like stance.

Best of luck to you.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Okay, this might get some riled up.
Most over rated team is UCONN.
At least right now.
They may be ranked 2/3 but I don't think this team is anywhere close to the last group, Pheesa/Kls/Kia/Gabby team, nor the Stewie 4 years teams.

Reaction Score
At least right now.
They may be ranked 2/3 but I don't think this team is anywhere close to the last group, Pheesa/Kls/Kia/Gabby team, nor the Stewie 4 years teams.

You can say that, but to compare this team to those teams is wrong. Those teams had multiple AAs. This team has 1!

Reaction Score
At least right now.
I don’t think they’re overrated at #2. Doesn’t mean they aren’t beatable.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if it was me, but did it seem like Clark was looking for calls last night with some of her plays? For example, her lays ups in the second half. Her body language gave me the impression she was expecting the And-1 call on those that she made.
She is always looking for call. duke played great defense as if they studied how she plays. In general the calls she normally gets could go either ways depending on the refs. the pause didn’t help Iowa but duke deserves credit. They played great team defense. Iowa also haven’t faced anyone remotely good to this point.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, first, did you see the Louisville game against Michigan last night? They completely destroyed that team? Second, Iowa was coming off 2 weeks of Covid hiatus and the first time the team got together was Tuesday. They traveled on Wed so having 1 full practice and 1 game prep practice after two weeks showed rust-missed layoffs as touch was off, missed passes as timing was off and constant subbing as conditioning was off. I am cutting Iowa a lot of slack here. Remember one of Baylor's losses last year was their first game back after a Covid hiatus. This is still a very good Iowa team and yes, Clark does have help in Czinano and McKenna Warnock. They also added ISU sophomore transfer Kylie Feuerbach who will help with scoring. To me, this team is still a legitimate top 10 team.

She has more help than she thinks. She shot them out of the game last night. Awesome player, but when she's off like that...STOP with the DEEP 3 pointers. I thought her play was selfish and it hurt the team. When she started driving in for layups...they caught up. Unfortunately...it was too late. I felt for her team. Czinano had 21 on 9 of 12 shots. Clark was 9 for 27. Give up the ball already.

I'm wondering if it was me, but did it seem like Clark was looking for calls last night with some of her plays? For example, her lays ups in the second half. Her body language gave me the impression she was expecting the And-1 call on those that she made.

@DefenseBB : I'm with you. The Hawkeyes were supposed to play Drake, Seton Hall and USC during those two weeks, which sure as heck would've helped them get in fighting sync for a game in Durham. Clark, particularly on the long range shot, was obviously off, as was Gabbie Marshall, who laid a goose egg and didn't seem to shoot at all. They'll get a chance to get tough fast with games against Michigan State and then Iowa State. And if there's a repeat of Duke-Iowa, I'll take CC & Company.

@LwercasefaN and @cancontent : Clark can be a bit, err, single-minded, shall we say.
As someone who watched her tapes for years in the hope she'd be playing for the Fighting Irish, I've seen these kinds of games before. She starts pressing and has such belief in herself, she can't leave well enough alone. Sometimes she shoots herself back into it -- a few times, nada. This was one of those. And will she work the refs? Oh yeah. Once again, same deal: that rabbit hole is pretty twisty.

She's got good teammates, as have been pointed out. The best teammates I"ve seen for her recently are ones who are very competent themselves, but calming in the way they go about their business. Seems to have a good effect on Caitlin. Unfortunately for her, Azzi Fudd and Sonia Citron don't play in Iowa! ;)

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
At first I thought Indiana was over rated, but then watched them hang tough with NC State, who IMHO is currently the 2nd best team in the country.

Michigan was undefeated before getting crushed by L'ville. I think they are over rated.

Oregon is missing a couple key starters and really aren't a top 25 team IMHO without them, so right now, over rated.

Maryland without 3 starters is not a top 10 team. May not even be top 20.

Kentucky has been cupcake city except for a blowout loss to Indiana. Will be really curious to see how they handle Depaul.

Arizona had a great win by 2 points over L'ville which launched them into the top 25, but aside from a close win over Depaul, have had all cupcakes and suddenly they are launched to a 1 seed? BTW they beat Vandy by 2 points. VANDY. Stanford, Baylor or Indiana have a better claim on a 1 seed IMHO.

Iowa - they really got manhandled by Duke, and aside from that, have faced cupcakes. We will know more as they face Michigan State and Iowa State coming up.

I think aTm, ND and Duke are all under rated. aTm whipped Depaul by 20+ but do have a big game with Texas on the horizon. I hate to say anything nice about ND, but damn if they aren't playing well across all positions. And Duke - just surprised Iowa - fairly easily - led almost wire to wire. Duke led by 6 at half time, pushed the lead pretty quickly to double digits, and Iowa never got closer than 11 the rest of the entire game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Arizona had a great win by 2 points over L'ville which launched them into the top 25, but aside from a close win over Depaul, have had all cupcakes
I know Rutgers is struggling this year, but are we really calling them a cupcake? The Cats get Texas in a couple weeks, right before they start conference play, so that might give us a better idea of who they are.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The way this season is going, we should all probably refrain from declaring who are the most overrated or underrated teams. Whether it's parity or just a large dose of inconsistency, it's pretty hard to make heads or tails of anything so far.

Everybody raving about Duke right now should look back a couple games in their schedule. Beat Appalachian St. by 8, Alabama by 3.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The way this season is going, we should all probably refrain from declaring who are the most overrated or underrated teams. Whether it's parity or just a large dose of inconsistency, it's pretty hard to make heads or tails of anything so far.

Everybody raving about Duke right now should look back a couple games in their schedule. Beat Appalachian St. by 8, Alabama by 3.

I knew Iowa was in gonna be in trouble a few weeks ago... even before the covid interruption. At no point at the game last night was I concerned that Iowa might win. At no point. That App State game was a far tougher game.. It wasnt a great time for a game... the7pm on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.. Duke caught a bit of a break as the App State player who was killing us in the first half.. went down with an injury... an while she came back.. wasn't the same player and that allowed Duke to come from behind and win the game. The Bama game was another game that was a good learning experience for a team coming together. Winning on an off night... coming from behind with less than 20 seconds in the game.

All this talk about Iowa and the covid break... that's Iowa fault.. that's on them. Guess the whole team and staff should have gotten jabbed up. Is the covid break responsible for their best player taking ill advised shot after ill advised shot? Even Iowa's coach said she needed to dial it back.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@DefenseBB : I'm with you. The Hawkeyes were supposed to play Drake, Seton Hall and USC during those two weeks, which sure as heck would've helped them get in fighting sync for a game in Durham. Clark, particularly on the long range shot, was obviously off, as was Gabbie Marshall, who laid a goose egg and didn't seem to shoot at all. They'll get a chance to get tough fast with games against Michigan State and then Iowa State. And if there's a repeat of Duke-Iowa, I'll take CC & Company.

@LwercasefaN and @cancontent : Clark can be a bit, err, single-minded, shall we say.
As someone who watched her tapes for years in the hope she'd be playing for the Fighting Irish, I've seen these kinds of games before. She starts pressing and has such belief in herself, she can't leave well enough alone. Sometimes she shoots herself back into it -- a few times, nada. This was one of those. And will she work the refs? Oh yeah. Once again, same deal: that rabbit hole is pretty twisty.

She's got good teammates, as have been pointed out. The best teammates I"ve seen for her recently are ones who are very competent themselves, but calming in the way they go about their business. Seems to have a good effect on Caitlin. Unfortunately for her, Azzi Fudd and Sonia Citron don't play in Iowa! ;)

Ha.... I would take Duke every day and six times on Sunday in a rematch. Iowa will get in sync... but is not like Duke isn't gonna improve as well as the season progresses. The team is still learning how to play together... and hopefully Imani Lewis will get back healthy and add some punch in terms of toughness and rebounding. Iowa isn't the type of team that scares me. I like how we match up with that kind of squad. That SC game in two weeks... now that's an all together different story...:confused:

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
All this talk about Iowa and the covid break... that's Iowa fault.. that's on them. Guess the whole team and staff should have gotten jabbed up. Is the covid break responsible for their best player taking ill advised shot after ill advised shot? Even Iowa's coach said she needed to dial it back.
The Iowa team and staff have a 100% vaccination rate, so that line of accusation is uncalled for. You may have heard of something breakthrough infections. Just, wow, can't believe you would be so callous as to frame it like that.

To your other point... definitely no argument there!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Iowa team and staff have a 100% vaccination rate, so that line of accusation is uncalled for. You may have heard of something breakthrough infections. Just, wow, can't believe you would be so callous as to frame it like that.

To your other point... definitely no argument there!

Well thanks for the correction. I apologize for jumping to conclusions. I'll try not to be so callous in the future.

Reaction Score
You can say that, but to compare this team to those teams is wrong. Those teams had multiple AAs. This team has 1!
Yeah, but that's kinda the point, stated in reverse!

I know that there are many who love them and defend them, but, based on talent evaluation when they were recruited, CW should be at least a serious AA candidate by now, her senior year, and ONO should at least be, say, honorable mention AA. However, based on their play to this point in the season, I'd guess that CW will be lucky to make honorable mention (as she did last year).

But the point is that we should have at least a serious AA candidate in addition to Paige, but, because of their underperformance, we don't.

Reaction Score
It's very early, but UConn has looked a lot like they did last year. Not a lot of growth, yet.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just my 2 cents. We’ve been talking about, and maybe hoping for, parity in WBB for many years. We are not completely there yet, but we are closer than ever before. More and more talented, athletic players in WBB, better coaching and a wide open transfer portal have significantly changed the competition level in WBB.

Nobody will get through this season undefeated. The challenge for coaches of top programs will be to have their teams playing their best basketball in March when the Big Dance roles around and then grind out 6 wins.

I have not seen a team anywhere in WBB that is not flawed in one way or another. SC looks the best right now, but the Gamecocks are far from unbeatable. Just a reminder that there was a stretch during the 1st qtr of SC’s game vs UConn when they were outscored 20-2.

Reaction Score
At first I thought Indiana was over rated, but then watched them hang tough with NC State, who IMHO is currently the 2nd best team in the country.

Michigan was undefeated before getting crushed by L'ville. I think they are over rated.

Oregon is missing a couple key starters and really aren't a top 25 team IMHO without them, so right now, over rated.

Maryland without 3 starters is not a top 10 team. May not even be top 20.
Kentucky has been cupcake city except for a blowout loss to Indiana. Will be really curious to see how they handle Depaul.

Arizona had a great win by 2 points over L'ville which launched them into the top 25, but aside from a close win over Depaul, have had all cupcakes and suddenly they are launched to a 1 seed? BTW they beat Vandy by 2 points. VANDY. Stanford, Baylor or Indiana have a better claim on a 1 seed IMHO.

Iowa - they really got manhandled by Duke, and aside from that, have faced cupcakes. We will know more as they face Michigan State and Iowa State coming up.

I think aTm, ND and Duke are all under rated. aTm whipped Depaul by 20+ but do have a big game with Texas on the horizon. I hate to say anything nice about ND, but damn if they aren't playing well across all positions. And Duke - just surprised Iowa - fairly easily - led almost wire to wire. Duke led by 6 at half time, pushed the lead pretty quickly to double digits, and Iowa never got closer than 11 the rest of the entire game.
Emily Engstler makes Louisville a much better team. Her rebounding, defense, ability to handle the ball, and can score. She is the best player on that team. The best transfer from Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I would say UConn is overrated right now. By the end of the year if they progress they could be too 5.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nobody will get through this season undefeated. The challenge for coaches of top programs will be to have their teams playing their best basketball in March when the Big Dance roles around and then grind out 6 wins.
No one is unbeatable, but we should not kid ourselves. This South Carolina team is capable of running the table, as long as they stay healthy enough. Their toughest remaining regular season games -- Maryland, Stanford, UConn -- will all be at home. And it would take a considerable upset for anyone in the SEC to beat them. I'm not saying they will go undefeated, but they're certainly capable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom