MNT’s 2022 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

MNT’s 2022

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Arriola can be a valuable piece, but the wing positions are getting very crowded. He is behind Aaronson, Reyna, and Weah right now. I'd give Haji Wright the next two starts and see if he works. I'm done with the others. We are playing a man down in the final third because none of the others seem capable of linking up with the wing play. Otherwise, you have to look at playing some combination of Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Reyna in front of McKinnie, Musah, Adams and Acosta.

I'm not sold on any of the defenders outside of Robinson. The defense vs Morocco and Uruguay was horrendous. They were lucky not to give up 6 or 7 combined. Johnson is not an answer in goal. He just isn't. The team looks great in between the 18's, not so great close to either goal. We will need clean wins vs Wales and Iran or hope for another England stumble (they didn't look great this week either) to advance.

I said 2022 was mostly about 2026 and I stand by that. From that perspective given the recent improvement by the younger guys, things look bright. For all the GGG hate, he was right to play so many of these guys. Now if we can find/develop two centerbacks and a striker in the next four years 2026 could be a deep run.

Reaction Score
Not unlike college football, there are only 5-6 teams with a legit chance to win the WC. The USA doesnt have the talent to compete with the top 10. I don't see that changing by 26 unless we have real impact players in champions league teams, and we'd have an idea of who that is/might be by now.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Not unlike college football, there are only 5-6 teams with a legit chance to win the WC. The USA doesnt have the talent to compete with the top 10. I don't see that changing by 26 unless we have real impact players in champions league teams, and we'd have an idea of who that is/might be by now.

The US was very close to making the semi's in 2002, should have actually. This up and coming squad is better than 2002. They just need a someone to step up and become a reliable goal scorer.

Having the WC at home provides a huge boost to the host side. Winning is still unlikely but advancing in the knockout is certainly doable. Making a run to a semi or final is possible if they players continue to develop. The best player rarely wins the WC. How many to Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney have?

It takes a team of really good players, playing well together, plus a bit of luck. I think there are 8 players who could fill the 1st bill by 2026. CP, both Robinsons, MMA, Reyna, and Matt Turner. If Dest can clean up his game, he is already there.

Reaction Score

I think making the Semis is a realistic goal. If South Korea can do it… of course they were doped to the gills as well.

Reaction Score
The US was very close to making the semi's in 2002, should have actually. This up and coming squad is better than 2002. They just need a someone to step up and become a reliable goal scorer.

Having the WC at home provides a huge boost to the host side. Winning is still unlikely but advancing in the knockout is certainly doable. Making a run to a semi or final is possible if they players continue to develop. The best player rarely wins the WC. How many to Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney have?

It takes a team of really good players, playing well together, plus a bit of luck. I think there are 8 players who could fill the 1st bill by 2026. CP, both Robinsons, MMA, Reyna, and Matt Turner. If Dest can clean up his game, he is already there.

Agree. We just need the right manager and leadership.

Reaction Score
Agree. We just need the right manager and leadership.
Not gonna happpen, at least not this time around.

You do have to give GB credit for forcing the team to play out of the back. He forced them to become competent at it. In the past they were terrible at it. On the whole, he has made many head scratching moves. But he doesn't seem better or worse than his predecessors. Albeit, he did come along as our roster dramatically improved.

The other big change I've noticed is their first touches at at a much higher level then previous to GB. This may have nothing to with GB. He may have inherited the team as the skill level of individuals rose. But it is a skill that is needed if they are to compete and advance in the WC.

Reaction Score

Dest and Musah are the best 1v1 players we have. Gonna need Dest, especially since Jedi is pretty meh going forward across from him

Reaction Score

You do have to give GB credit for forcing the team to play out of the back. He forced them to become competent at it. In the past they were terrible at it. On the whole, he has made many head scratching moves. But he doesn't seem better or worse than his predecessors. Albeit, he did come along as our roster dramatically improved.

The other big change I've noticed is their first touches at at a much higher level then previous to GB. This may have nothing to with GB. He may have inherited the team as the skill level of individuals rose. But it is a skill that is needed if they are to compete and advance in the WC.

He’s not as good as Jurgen. Jurgen won the Hex and got out of the Group of Death.

Reaction Score

And the first touches have to do with talent they developed elsewhere. National Team managers don’t spend enough time with players to develop skills like that.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Dest and Musah are the best 1v1 players we have. Gonna need Dest, especially since Jedi is pretty meh going forward across from him

Both guys need better field awareness and sense of defensive responsibility. Being good at 1v1 does not make an inpactful player on its own.

Musah was out of position quite a bit v Uruguay. Dest gets caught out regularly, if not for his skill level with the ball, he's basically Scally. Opponents attack his side with great success.

Playing as a team is more important than skill if forced to choose.

Reaction Score
Both guys need better field awareness and sense of defensive responsibility. Being good at 1v1 does not make an inpactful player on its own.

Musah was out of position quite a bit v Uruguay. Dest gets caught out regularly, if not for his skill level with the ball, he's basically Scally. Opponents attack his side with great success.

Playing as a team is more important than skill if forced to choose.
I’ll take the ability and have them learn the more well rounded team game as they go. They’re both quite young, not much experience. You can teach awareness, and playing as a team, skill and ability on the, if not instilled at youth level, will not come. That’s why we’ve had such low skill teams for so long.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’ll take the ability and have them learn the more well rounded team game as they go. They’re both quite young, not much experience. You can teach awareness, and playing as a team, skill and ability on the, if not instilled at youth level, will not come. That’s why we’ve had such low skill teams for so long.
So basically you're saying grit and pluck can only take you so far? I think American coaches just gotta American and overcoach.

Reaction Score
I think Pulisic and Reyna are the best 1v1 and it’s not close.

Reaction Score
I think Pulisic and Reyna are the best 1v1 and it’s not close.
I disagree. Puli uses his quickness/speed to get past defenders. Musah uses body feints a ton to get by guys, he is also quick but uses skill, such as heel to heel moves. Dest I think is undoubtedly the most skillful player in our pool, sometimes to a detriment. He tries everything, and sometimes they come off, sometimes they don’t. I’ll agree on Reyna to a degree, he’s similar to Musah, uses his feints and change of direction well. He’s just not as agile.

Reaction Score
Why are Pulisic, Weah, Musah and Adams playing in this game?

What is this ridiculous tournament?

Get them out of there.

Who cares?

Stupid

Reaction Score
I disagree. Puli uses his quickness/speed to get past defenders. Musah uses body feints a ton to get by guys, he is also quick but uses skill, such as heel to heel moves. Dest I think is undoubtedly the most skillful player in our pool, sometimes to a detriment. He tries everything, and sometimes they come off, sometimes they don’t. I’ll agree on Reyna to a degree, he’s similar to Musah, uses his feints and change of direction well. He’s just not as agile.

Haha. Whatever you want to believe.

Reaction Score
Is Musah going to go down as one of the greatest USMNT players of all time?

This kid could be top 10 if he develops.

I'm talking about Donovan, C. Reyna, McBride, O'Brien, Dempsey, Altidore.

Pulisic is already there of the current players.

McKennie, G. Reyna, Musah are the next 3 most likely, but I might like Musah better than Reyna and McKennie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That was horrifying and exciting at the same time. The toughness this team has consistently shown is fun to watch. If we had a striker, they would be a tough out.

Reaction Score

Also you need to look at how close Pulisic keeps the ball to his feet. When the Dortmund started scouting him that was one of the key things they judged. They have a way of measuring that. The fact that he keeps it that close and he is still fast should tell you something. Also look at the rate he gets fouled. That's the only way some players can defend him.

Reaction Score
Haha. Whatever you want to believe.
I mean, if you watched the game it was incredibly apparent that Musah is on another level skill wise and being a ball carrier, he was our best player by miles. Puli on the other hand, didn't play that well, at least not up to his standards.

Reaction Score
I mean, if you watched the game it was incredibly apparent that Musah is on another level skill wise and being a ball carrier, he was our best player by miles. Puli on the other hand, didn't play that well, at least not up to his standards.

Musah is sensational but he does NOT affect the game the way Pulisic does. Musah does not use his teammates well and he doesn't finish. If (hopefully when) he improves in these areas, he will be an elite player. He oozes talent.

However, I could make a defensible case that De La Torre should start in front of Musah. He is good on the ball. Rarely turns it over. And he sees the field and uses his teammates much better than Musah. Last night, Musah had an incredible individual game. Torre served a perfect ball to a teammate and saved the night.

We really dont have to cover the fact that only a handful of players in history have had as big an impact on the USMNT as CP.

Reaction Score
Musah is sensational but he does NOT affect the game the way Pulisic does. Musah does not use his teammates well and he doesn't finish. If (hopefully when) he improves in these areas, he will be an elite player. He oozes talent.

However, I could make a defensible case that De La Torre should start in front of Musah. He is good on the ball. Rarely turns it over. And he sees the field and uses his teammates much better than Musah. Last night, Musah had an incredible individual game. Torre served a perfect ball to a teammate and saved the night.

We really dont have to cover the fact that only a handful of players in history have had as big an impact on the USMNT as CP.
I wasn't saying that he was more impactful or better than CP. That would be a detriment to CP's ability, and Musah is only 19 so we better hope that Musah isn't better than him. Musah needs to finish better and needs to release the ball sooner, no doubt. But I will take the growing pains with a kid who LOVES carrying the ball/taking people on, we certainly aren't rich in that department.

As for starting LDLT over Musah, that is insane to me. If anyone in the midfield should be benched, its Adams. Love the kid and still think he has a great future, but he has been pretty poor for club and country in 2022. LDLT has been great in doses, and I think he should've started more this window, but him over Musah is ridiculous to me, especially after Musah had a great window here.

Reaction Score
So basically you're saying grit and pluck can only take you so far? I think American coaches just gotta American and overcoach.

Grit and pluck is so 1998 World Cup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom