Mike Aresco promoting American-P6 yesterday on ESPN radio | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Aresco promoting American-P6 yesterday on ESPN radio

Reaction Score
ESPN is hemorraging pretty badly right now. My sense is that that is a major reason for creating conference networks. They can pass off some of the risk. It is pretty likely that they overpaid for at least some of the leagues and many think they also overpaid for the NFL package given declines in both subscribers and NFL audiences. It is one thing to pay big bucks for Michigan and Ohio State but you also have to carry Rutgers and Purdue.

Reaction Score
Finally got around to listen to the interview. That was a great interview. I think Aresco hit all the points. If he can't get AAC the best deal, I am not sure anyone can.

While UConn is in the AAC, I hope we can get every dollar we can. Let's hope Aresco can get us something reasonable in the next deal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Aresco has done a good job. It's important to recognize that what is good for the American as a whole, isn't always best for UConn. We are in a different position than many of conference mates. We have more exposure and a higher profile, yet we need cash to fund our much higher budget.

My hope for the next round is that Aresco is savvy enough to work a deal with ESPN or Fox that retains more control and flexibility for the members and for alternative media. Meaning it's limited to football and some basketball games, and the conference or schools retain the rest. T3 rights would be big for us, but also, the ability to sign with an Amazon or whatever for lower profile sports could be beneficial to all. Simply put, we can't let him do another "all you can eat" deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People love to find things to complain about so they go off on the AAC HQ being in Providence as if somehow that matters one iota in regards to national relevance. The clambake at football media days is one of the coolest media days events every year and gets national pub every time.

It's okay to not be happy that UConn is in the American and also acknowledge that Aresco is doing probably about as good of a job as anyone could do as commissioner from a marketing and exposure standpoint. Anyone bashing him for the last tv contract payout clearly hasn't educated themselves on the topic throughly and needs to go back and read up on the position the American negotiated from.
Is it okay if we bash him for taking our tier 3 rights and WBB rights and returning to us less than we were getting WBB alone?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Is it okay if we bash him for taking our tier 3 rights and WBB rights and returning to us less than we were getting WBB alone?
Sure you can. I totally agree with out about it, for UConn it obviously sucks. For the other teams in the conference, getting to play WBB on channels like ESPNU/2 during the regular season is a huge deal. His job isn't to do what's best for UConn, its to do what's best for The American Conference.

Reaction Score
I think Aresco has done a good job. It's important to recognize that what is good for the American as a whole, isn't always best for UConn. We are in a different position than many of conference mates. We have more exposure and a higher profile, yet we need cash to fund our much higher budget.

My hope for the next round is that Aresco is savvy enough to work a deal with ESPN or Fox that retains more control and flexibility for the members and for alternative media. Meaning it's limited to football and some basketball games, and the conference or schools retain the rest. T3 rights would be big for us, but also, the ability to sign with an Amazon or whatever for lower profile sports could be beneficial to all. Simply put, we can't let him do another "all you can eat" deal.

The AAC board lead by Susan Herbst agrees with you. Mike Aresco's contract
was just renewed until June 2022.

“Mike Aresco has done an outstanding job of leading the American Athletic Conference through its early years and I am very happy that he will continue on with us,” Susan Herbst, President of the University of Connecticut and Chair of The American’s Board of Directors said in a statement. “Mike is a strong commissioner who is respected by the presidents and institutions within the Conference. It is important for The American to have excellent, consistent leadership and that is what Mike provides.”

AAC gives commissioner Mike Aresco contract extension through 2022

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure you can. I totally agree with out about it, for UConn it obviously sucks. For the other teams in the conference, getting to play WBB on channels like ESPNU/2 during the regular season is a huge deal. His job isn't to do what's best for UConn, its to do what's best for The American Conference.
Drew, I'd be curious about just how many non-UConn AAC WBB games were televised on ESPN 2, of even ESPNU.

But I do agree that giving up tier 3 rights, and especially WBB games, really hurt only one school. If you are that school however, it is fair to say that the league isn't really promoting your interests.

Tough for me to pile on praise for the commissioner when he is taking cash out of our hands to support the rest of the league.

CL82

Reaction Score
The AAC board lead by Susan Herbst agrees with you. Mike Aresco's contract
was just renewed until June 2022.

“Mike Aresco has done an outstanding job of leading the American Athletic Conference through its early years and I am very happy that he will continue on with us,” Susan Herbst, President of the University of Connecticut and Chair of The American’s Board of Directors said in a statement. “Mike is a strong commissioner who is respected by the presidents and institutions within the Conference. It is important for The American to have excellent, consistent leadership and that is what Mike provides.”

AAC gives commissioner Mike Aresco contract extension through 2022
What would you expect her to say? If you agree that actions speak louder words, then the fact that the bulk of conference scrambled for door when the Big 12 started sniffing around was a shout.

Reaction Score
What would you expect her to say? If you agree that actions speak louder words, then the fact that the bulk of conference scrambled for door when the Big 12 started sniffing around was a shout.

He's obviously doing a great job and continues to expand and build the brand and has been rewarded with an extension. This is a tough job. It's completely understood why every team would take a P5 invite. All the more reason why you want a savvy leader. You know the old saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"

CL82

Reaction Score
He's obviously doing a great job and continues to expand and build the brand and has been rewarded with an extension. This is a tough job. It's completely understood why every team would take a P5 invite. All the more reason why you want a savvy leader. You know the old saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"
And the going is is tough in the AAC, so we should get going?

Yeah, I'm not sure that can list the specifics of "the great job" he's doing.

1) Got the worst $ per school of anyone in the "P6" by a very, very large margin, but got great exposure.

2) Talks about AAC using the "P6" a term that only he uses.

3) Added Wichita State University to the conference.

What do you have?

Reaction Score
IMG_0432.JPG
And the going is is tough in the AAC, so we should get going?

Yeah, I'm not sure that can list the specifics of "the great job" he's doing.

1) Got the worst $ per school of anyone in the "P6" by a very, very large margin, but got great exposure.

2) Talks about AAC using the "P6" a term that only he uses.

3) Added Wichita State University to the conference.

What do you have?

Oh, I get it, you're a John Marinatto fan!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Drew, I'd be curious about just how many non-UConn AAC WBB games were televised on ESPN 2, of even ESPNU.

But I do agree that giving up tier 3 rights, and especially WBB games, really hurt only one school. If you are that school however, it is fair to say that the league isn't really promoting your interests.

Tough for me to pile on praise for the commissioner when he is taking cash out of our hands to support the rest of the league.

Not trying to argue, just trying to answer your question. I added CBSSN in as well:

Houston @ Tulsa (ESPNU)
Memphis vs Vanderbilt (ESPNU)
Memphis vs Temple (ESPN2)
Memphis @ USF (CBSSN)
Memphis vs USF (ESPNU)
USF vs Louisville (ESPNU)
USF @ Temple (CBSSN)
USF vs Tulane (ESPN2)
USF vs Temple (ESPN2)
USF vs Temple (AAC Tournament- ESPNU)
Temple vs DePaul (ESPNU)
Temple vs Tulane (ESPNU)
Temple @ Tulane (CBSSN)

May have missed one here or there but there were a decent amount of non-UConn AAC WBB games on ESPN2/U/CBSSN. I'll just say I guess we agree to disagree on this because while we both conclude for UConn the current deal really hurts us monetarily the other programs in the league have gained a level of exposure they simply haven't enjoyed before. From a league point of view, its hard to argue Aresco is failing in his job.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not trying to argue, just trying to answer your question. I added CBSSN in as well:

Houston @ Tulsa (ESPNU)
Memphis vs Vanderbilt (ESPNU)
Memphis vs Temple (ESPN2)
Memphis @ USF (CBSSN)
Memphis vs USF (ESPNU)
USF vs Louisville (ESPNU)
USF @ Temple (CBSSN)
USF vs Tulane (ESPN2)
USF vs Temple (ESPN2)
USF vs Temple (AAC Tournament- ESPNU)
Temple vs DePaul (ESPNU)
Temple vs Tulane (ESPNU)
Temple @ Tulane (CBSSN)

May have missed one here or there but there were a decent amount of non-UConn AAC WBB games on ESPN2/U/CBSSN. I'll just say I guess we agree to disagree on this because while we both conclude for UConn the current deal really hurts us monetarily the other programs in the league have gained a level of exposure they simply haven't enjoyed before. From a league point of view, its hard to argue Aresco is failing in his job.
Thanks Drew, I was actually curious about the answer but not so much that I felt like doing the legwork. I don't think we disagree at all. I'm just not as likely as some to sing the guy's praises.

Reaction Score
Diaco's contract was extended too. Right before he got fired.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There's really not much that Aresco can do. He's been a good soldier in the fact he's been touting the AAC and doing so in a somewhat reasonable manner.

That being said, the AAC is paying him around $1.6M a year, which is damn near more than UConn athletics as a whole takes in from the leagues TV deal.

At $1.6M a year, just doing a decent job isn't enough. He really needs to perform like a person that is being paid top dollar.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse but the AAC would have been much better off if Aresco was here instead of Marinatto during the power grabs by the big 4.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse but the AAC would have been much better off if Aresco was here instead of Marinatto during the power grabs by the big 4.

Let's quote Aresco 3:14

When Ye ESPNUniversity needed programming to compete with ye NFL Conference Championship Games the obscure podcastee looked upon his flock and turned water into Temple at East Carolina consummating at half past the devil's hour eastern.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Let's quote Aresco 3:14

When Ye ESPNUniversity needed programming to compete with ye NFL Conference Championship Games the obscure podcastee looked upon his flock and turned water into Temple at East Carolina consummating at half past the devil's hour eastern.

You can look at any way you like, but the basketball run conference didn't help the old Big East football at all. If Marinatto was on the ball the Big East could have picked up and we would have watched the Big 12 to fall apart instead of the Big East football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can look at any way you like, but the basketball run conference didn't help the old Big East football at all. If Marinatto was on the ball the Big East could have picked up and we would have watched the Big 12 to fall apart instead of the Big East football.

Sure thing giant beer.

Reaction Score
I won't knock the guy. He was handed a situation that was complete chicken * and he's worked hard to make it into chicken salad. If in the next round of media deals he is able to maintain exposure while withholding some media rights for conference members to sell individually, he will have created the best possible situation for UCONN outside of P5 Membership.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom