OT: - Messi to Miami | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Messi to Miami

Reaction Score
to grow a sport nobody is ever gonna care about

pickle ball has a better chance

Pretty sure it's the most popular sport in the world. A lot of Americans are following the international teams. But still there is a decent amount of interest in MLS.

Reaction Score
Looked at the prices for Messi away matches and…yikes. Needed to buy when it was just rumored.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it's the most popular sport in the world. A lot of Americans are following the international teams. But still there is a decent amount of interest in MLS.
Easily the most popular sport in the world and growing in the US. It’s never going to be the NBA or NFL here, but you’re replying to a super dated take.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Easily the most popular sport in the world and growing in the US. It’s never going to be the NBA or NFL here, but you’re replying to a super dated take.
People have been saying that since Pele, Giorgio Chinaglia and Franz Beckenbauer played for the New York Cosmos. That was supposed to be the breakthrough. Remember? I do.

Oh wait that didn’t take! Surely David Beckham to the LA galaxy 30 years later would get it done!

No? Well 15 years after that Lionel Messi to Miami will certainly be the spark!

Reaction Score
People have been saying that since Pele, Giorgio Chinaglia and Franz Beckenbauer played for the New York Cosmos. That was supposed to be the breakthrough. Remember? I do.

Oh wait that didn’t take! Surely David Beckham to the LA galaxy 30 years later would get it done!

Not sure who you’re arguing with here. It’s the most popular sport in the world and is growing in the US. Messi might make a little bit of a difference. Who knows.

Reaction Score

They're getting these guys when they are washed or close to it. He'll sell a ton of tickets right away and then the novelty will wear off again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Back then, do you remember bars on weekend mornings jammed with soccer fans? I don't.

Reaction Score
All credit in the World to his wife who stressed raising their children in the safest Nation on the Planet. Finally, someone who realized there is no amount of money that can replace that.

I just came back from Sweden a few weeks ago. I don't have any statistics but there's no way the U.S. is safer than Sweden. I'm sure there are other European countries that are similarly safe. Unfortunately for them though their pro soccer league is a lesser skilled product than MLS.

Reaction Score
I just came back from Sweden a few weeks ago. I don't have any statistics but there's no way the U.S. is safer than Sweden. I'm sure there are other European countries that are similarly safe. Unfortunately for them though their pro soccer league is a lesser skilled product than MLS.
7 of the top 10 safest countries are in Europe

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The biggest difference now is just that high quality matches are so widely available. I don’t personally care for the MLS, but rolling out of bed on Saturday and Sunday morning and flipping between a bunch of PL matches on NBC/Peacock is one of the best things.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the greatest player of all time. I don’t think he has much longer to play. I’m hoping he does what he said years ago and retire at his hometown club.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He’s going to bring more eyes and money to the sport than all other European superstars who have come here to play. He’s also going to be making a ton through marketing and advertising. Smart state to play in

Reaction Score
The biggest difference now is just that high quality matches are so widely available. I don’t personally care for the MLS, but rolling out of bed on Saturday and Sunday morning and flipping between a bunch of PL matches on NBC/Peacock is one of the best things.

Ditto. I couldn’t care less about MLS or, honestly, the USMNT, but being able to watch the EPL and La Liga is pretty great.

Reaction Score
Ditto. I couldn’t care less about MLS or, honestly, the USMNT, but being able to watch the EPL and La Liga is pretty great.
Yup, and I didn’t even mention Champions League, which is my favorite event outside of the NCAA tournament. You can watch every match now, whereas there really wasn’t a way to do that in the past. Maybe the final was televised somewhere in the US in the past? Not sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yup, and I didn’t even mention Champions League, which is my favorite event outside of the NCAA tournament. You can watch every match now, whereas there really wasn’t a way to do that in the past. Maybe the final was televised somewhere in the US in the past? Not sure.
Champions League has been available in the US for at least 20 years. Not all the games of course. I remember where I was for the 2005 Champions League Final. ESPN had it on a Wednesday afternoon. I was the only one in the bar watching it. That won't be the case this Saturday.

Reaction Score
Champions League has been available in the US for at least 20 years. Not all the games of course. I remember where I was for the 2005 Champions League Final. ESPN had it on a Wednesday afternoon. I was the only one in the bar watching it. That won't be the case this Saturday.
Yeah, I really have/had no idea how far back it went in terms of the depth of coverage. Love blocking off 3-5 as a “meeting” on my calendar every Wednesday for some of the year.

Edit: And, yeah, completely anecdotal but I do feel like more people I know are into Saturday. I’ve only been a fan for a decade or so, but even I can feel it.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You know where the door is too, no?

What the...

Internet temper tantrums are odd - but even more odd is multiple posts asking people in a condescending way if they know about a non-existent door.

Reaction Score

We’ll, Brandi Chastain did catch our soccer attention for a nano-second, but there just wasn’t enough follow up to really grow the sport.

Reaction Score

The game from the grassroots and up is growing significantly in the US. Kids are being pushed into soccer rather than football because of the danger, and as we become more ethnically diverse (Central and South America) way more kids are involved. There won't be a sports bar in NYC not playing the UCL final on Saturday. That's certainly progress.

I played soccer growing up but most of my friends were baseball/football. Now they all are way more into soccer than baseball, and some are even more interested than football. It's way more of an overall experience.

Reaction Score
All credit in the World to his wife who stressed raising their children in the safest Nation on the Planet. Finally, someone who realized there is no amount of money that can replace that.

Saudi Arabia is the safest country in the world? Didn't know that.

Reaction Score
I cant honestly tell if you are serious or this is a piss take.
At first, I thought he was talking about SA, which could be true, who knows? But if the comment is regarding the US he is absolutely taking the piss, has to be. The safest countries by nearly any metric tend to be the Scandinavian countries in any order you want (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) followed by a mix that generally includes Nordic countries like Iceland and Finland, as well as New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Slovenia, Austria, and Switzerland. Sometimes a few other Asian counties like Singapore make the top of these lists. But the US wouldn't be anywhere near any of those regarding safety no matter how you define safety. But again, perhaps this is too long a response for something that, again, I assume is taking the piss.

Anyway, the MLS is where people go when their career is winding down, to live out the twilight of their career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miami is the better move for improving his brand and status as a global icon. Saudi is the better move for retirement money. I suspect Messi will make up most of the difference off the pitch.

BTW, absolute dictatorshps, which Saudi is, are the best for crime control. The is a reason they are called police states. No judges. No juries. No pro crime prosecutors. The govenment simply locks up anyone they consider undesirable for as long as they want. And the secret police are everywhere. Big deterrent.

Reaction Score
Looked at the prices for Messi away matches and…yikes. Needed to buy when it was just rumored.
I did the same thing this morning. Obviously way too late to get tickets. I Looked at matches in Orlando. Tickets were at least $470 for SRO up to $2000 for better seats against Miami. Same tickets for other matches $19 and up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom