Memphis and Wichita in the NIT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis and Wichita in the NIT

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
With all these made-for-TV "Tournaments", I guess everyone's bought into the "everyone wins a trophy" mindset. Grim.

Reaction Score
CBI/CIT participation is embarrassing for schools who consider themselves high majors. Bizarre move by Huggins/WVU. Sounds about right for USF/Depaul.
I think it a smart move by Huggins. They have a very young team and this only gives them post season experience. The competition may be crap but anytime you can suit up and play, tournament an extra bonus, why not give your kids the experience?

Reaction Score
I thought Memphis deserved more consideration for the ncaa tourney, maybe not in but they weren’t even considered a bubble team. But people were talking about 16-16 Texas being a bubble team (who in my opinion correctly didn’t get in)...

That being said, I think this years selections have been a lot better than in past years. Looks like the NET did actually help a little

Reaction Score
Sounds awful, but I couldn't care less. We're focused on teams in a made-up conference making the NIT? Really??
You do realize this conference is our home & that how other teams perform in post-season affect us as well?

The NIT is a good consolation tourney & UConn would have loved to be a part of it this year in the rebuild state we are in. In 2 years no I wouldn't be thrilled with the NIT.

Memphis is in re-build mode like us & Wichita is in re-load mode so I'm sure both of those coaches feel good about the NIT this year.

I hope the AAC sweeps the post-season tournies........go Houston/Cincy/UCF/Temple/Memphis/Witchita & S FL!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And the Big East Conference ...

I was at O’Reilly’s on 32nd as Seton Hall v Villanova approached their game. That’s not the same. Just not. So the AAC is a fast rising group pushing us; the best way for our school to get back today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And the Big East Conference ...

I was at O’Reilly’s on 32nd as Seton Hall v Villanova approached their game. That’s not the same. Just not. So the AAC is a fast rising group pushing us; the best way for our school to get back today.

If you want to talk up the AAC the last thing you want to do is compare it to the Big East Tourney.

You could get 4 all session AAC strips for what one ticket to the day session on Thursday was going for.

You don’t even need to take your shoes off to count the attendance at half the AAC games.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think it a smart move by Huggins. They have a very young team and this only gives them post season experience. The competition may be crap but anytime you can suit up and play, tournament an extra bonus, why not give your kids the experience?

Couldn’t you use this same logic for UConn?

Reaction Score
And the so called dumpster fire in Chris Mullin and St. Johns makes it to the NCCA tourney.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
And the so called dumpster fire in Chris Mullin and St. Johns makes it to the NCCA tourney.

Someone did him a favor. A big one

Reaction Score

Interesting how things pan out. Maybe if Heron wasn't immediate eligible and Ponds sat out eight games with an injury St. Johns might be in the CBI. Razor thin margins today.

Reaction Score
I literally do not know what the CBI is and I don't care to find out. Hopefully doesn't come up here in future and I can keep it in the things I don't need to know or care or think about.

Reaction Score
I don't think so.

Their roster has no seniors on it, and they threw off two starters in February. I don't think it's a good idea for them to play in the CBI, but they have legitimate questions about what they have, and given they only played about a month together after losing two starters, there's some semblance of sense there.

We know what we have in our roster, and our roster had 5 seniors (and a few others who may not come back), so it's not like we'd be giving our team any real time to gel in action. Plus, I can't imagine we'd be playing Gilbert; is he out of concussion protocol? Is his eye well? Do we take an invitation to a trash tournament and then be wishing for him back so we don't lose to Utah Valley?

Given that, we're going to pay $50K+ to, what? Host Southern Miss? Central Michigan? Howard? It's not like it's going to draw fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If he's getting a top 100 BIG for sure than ok
If not, and if it were possible, he should be wanting to play

I don't know on this one. Did you see that effort in the 39 point drubbing? Think it's time to refocus, get better players and be sure we are prepared to understand what it takes to be a winning program. The end to this season is a good thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

We've got a few young guys, but essentially no PGs. Gilbert's not playing. It doesn't behoove Jalen to play. He's gotta prep for some kind of pro career, and certainly doesn't need to risk injury.

What our guys need most is weight room and fundamentals. And there's going to be a lot of turnover for next year, so it's not as much a continuity thing from a team perspective. More individual development.

If the whole team was coming back, I'd agree.

Reaction Score
If the whole team was coming back, I'd agree.
I still wouldn't agree, but the position would make sense. But for a team losing minimally 38% of its scholarship players? It'd be stupid.

"Hey, Jalen. Tough loss against Houston. I know you're getting ready for your pro career, but can I interest you in meaningless games against Brown, Utah Valley, or Grand Canyon? They'll be road games, too, because the athletic department is broke and we had to fork over $50K to play in the first place."

Reaction Score
We've got a few young guys, but essentially no PGs. Gilbert's not playing. It doesn't behoove Jalen to play. He's gotta prep for some kind of pro career, and certainly doesn't need to risk injury.
SUpErboWl 2.0 for Kwint?!?

We can give him all the time he wants (and all the time some in this fan base called for him to get last season)!

Reaction Score
If you want to talk up the AAC the last thing you want to do is compare it to the Big East Tourney.

You could get 4 all session AAC strips for what one ticket to the day session on Thursday was going for.

You don’t even need to take your shoes off to count the attendance at half the AAC games.

Is there not one topic raised that you can’t spin?

I went to the Big East Tournament 17 years in a row - ending in 2009. My point is valid. Villanova v Seton Hall with lots of sweatshirts of both in Penn Station & bars ain’t the same as the Semis or Finals of a decade ago.

Are you right about the AAC? Absolutely.

Then. We can’t be in the BE. In no way - responsibly - would you should you choose as an AD to ditch our broad State U for the Catholic league of solid urban basketball playing schools. That’s IMHO. The AAC has become a good vehicle for us - when bounced. We have to achieve excellence there.

Reaction Score
Is there not one topic raised that you can’t spin?

I went to the Big East Tournament 17 years in a row - ending in 2009. My point is valid. Villanova v Seton Hall with lots of sweatshirts of both in Penn Station & bars ain’t the same as the Semis or Finals of a decade ago.

Then. We can’t be in the BE. In no way - responsibly - would you should you choose as an AD to ditch our broad State U for the Catholic league of solid urban basketball playing schools. That’s IMHO. The AAC has become a good vehicle for us - when bounced. We have to achieve excellence there.
You're the one who brought up the Big East. Also, how is what the Big East was 12 years ago relevant? It's still way better than the AAC which you call a fast rising group pushing us and a good vehicle for us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is there no one topic raised that you can’t spin?

Then. We can’t be in the BE. In no way - responsibly - would you should you choose as an AD to ditch our broad State U for the Catholic league of solid urban basketball playing schools. That’s IMHO. The AAC has become a good vehicle for us - when bounced.

If you don’t think UConn shouldn’t be in the Big East that’s fine - saying their tournament isn’t still awesome is insane.

I was there Thursday afternoon it was packed with people having a greaf time and at tip it was $75 to get in the door in the 400s.

The ticket I got for Thursday for $100 was $330 on Friday night.

Seems like the one spinning is you - in the face of great evidence you’ve come to a conclusion the opposite of reality.

Reaction Score
If you don’t think UConn shouldn’t be in the Big East that’s fine - saying their tournament isn’t still awesome is insane.

I was there Thursday afternoon it was packed with people having a greaf time and at tip it was $75 to get in the door in the 400s.

The ticket I got for Thursday for $100 was $330 on Friday night.

Seems like the one spinning is you - in the face of great evidence you’ve come to a conclusion the opposite of reality.

just funny … whether the odds on your gambling or the relative price of ticket garnered by the street

The sheer qualitative component can't be measured like this. There is a whole segment of my industry - for instance - that will never ever go to a BET again. It is not as good; it is still good. There!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom