Member Of The Nika Club? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Member Of The Nika Club?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I am proud to sign on as a member of the Nika club. Who is designing our tee shirts? When can we expect delivery? Can't wait for the season!

The Croatian flag with a Husky superimposed.
Where's the Gnat going to go? On the Husky nose?

$19.95 but everything is sold out except XS. ?

club_nika_tee.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Very long article full of quotes about Nika Muhl. Geno's feelings about his tough guard come through.

"Mühl admits once her stubbornness gave way, everyone benefited. Auriemma may have won that battle, but doesn’t think he’ll ever win the war. And he doesn’t intend to.

“I don’t want her to all of a sudden become boring. I don’t want her to become, ‘well I’ll do exactly what coach says’ and be robotic,” Auriemma said. “I just need her understand when to and when not to and how to pick her spots. ... But I want who she is.”
I've often said (usually referring to bridge) that you need to know the rules really well in order to know when and how to break them. I think that's exactly what happened with Nika this season. She had to demonstrate that she could do what Geno wanted, when he wanted it, how he wanted it. She had to internalize the whole nine yards before she could veer off a few yards now and then.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very long article full of quotes about Nika Muhl. Geno's feelings about his tough guard come through.

"Mühl admits once her stubbornness gave way, everyone benefited. Auriemma may have won that battle, but doesn’t think he’ll ever win the war. And he doesn’t intend to.

“I don’t want her to all of a sudden become boring. I don’t want her to become, ‘well I’ll do exactly what coach says’ and be robotic,” Auriemma said. “I just need her understand when to and when not to and how to pick her spots. ... But I want who she is.”

There is a lot Mühl brings to the table that few others have. Auriemma recognizes that Mühl’s grit and tenacity stirred up the team and rubbed off on everyone else, something he expects will be even more pronounced next season. He’ll take her toughness, selflessness and spunk every day over someone who doesn’t have such fire. It is the same with her passion and will to win. Auriemma said Mühl took UConn’s Final Four loss to Arizona, her first game back from an ankle injury that kept her out of three tournament games, “just as hard, if not harder, than anybody else.”

Wow.

Reaction Score
I've been dragging my feet for days on taking a few minutes to post in here about Nika...! No more delays...! I've been on Nika's side from way early in the season when I saw her feisty 'tude and determined take no prisoners style of play. Gotta love her..! :D:D:D:D

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
When she was open enough to set her feet, put her eyes on the hoop and square up she was deadly. And playing the point with Bueckers/Fudd/ et al she had/will have a lot of those looks. I'm pretty confident that at least early in the season opposing teams will dare her to shoot since her man will be expected to help double either Bueckers or Fudd. It's not how many shots she takes, it's whether the defense feels they have to defend her. Müle may only take 8 shots/game but if she's hitting 5 and 2 of them are 3's then her shot must be respected.
Mühl

Reaction Score
Would you bench AE, , or someone else instead?
No one is being “benched”, the question merely is Muhl part of the best five to start the game? If yes, she starts, if no, she comes off the bench. All three will see significant time, provided Fudd is as good as advertised (mostly because I have never seen her play), and assuming she is healthy.

Reaction Score

There is a lot Mühl brings to the table that few others have. Auriemma recognizes that Mühl’s grit and tenacity stirred up the team and rubbed off on everyone else, something he expects will be even more pronounced next season. He’ll take her toughness, selflessness and spunk every day over someone who doesn’t have such fire. It is the same with her passion and will to win. Auriemma said Mühl took UConn’s Final Four loss to Arizona, her first game back from an ankle injury that kept her out of three tournament games, “just as hard, if not harder, than anybody else.”

Was trying to think back and see who else were determined (to the point of throwing their bodies around going after the ball) and stubborn like this......and, it seems, there were quite a few, though some were not as demonstrative. I don't know the early days encounter of Geno and Shea Ralph but she was the first one that came to mind. There were others in between (aside from DT).....but Caroline Doty struck me as another.....and the quiet one but of the same ilk: MoJeff.

I guess UConn recruits players like this - whether they are transcendent talents or not - who become exemplar UConn players?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika reminds me of the Celtics' Marcus Smart. Intangibles. If they played second base they would be coming of the field with dirt covered uniforms. I love it when she picks up the ball handlers early, before they drive and find someone who is open. She disrupts plays before they begin. If she doesn't start I'd make sure that she'd be in for the last 2 minutes of every quarter when the other team is getting winded. It worked for years for the Celtics' Sam and KC Jones. She'd gnat them crazy!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nika is good enough to start with this team. The thing that may keep her out is her unwillingness to shoot. I think we all agree on this, and this video shows how good her passing and defense is. I also think that she shows us that she is NOT slow as some people have suggested. All she has to do is take 8-10 shots a game, and drive to the basket and not kick it out all of the time. She is steady a player that knows the game and appears not to get rattled. With Azzi, Paige, and Christyn in the starting line up, Nikas passing will set them up. It also won't hurt with her being the head of the snake on the defensive end. Geno is going to have a tough decision.
Yes! This is the key.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom